in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #318 - Obscure Post-War Australian Comics (1946-1948)

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #318 - Obscure Post-War Australian Comics (1946-1948)  (Read 478 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP

Hi everyone

Following on from Robb’s selections of Canadian comics, I thought it would be interesting to look at some lesser-known Australian comics from the post-war years. I’d never heard of these before discovering them on this site.

Desert-Dragon Comic featuring Dr Mensana (1946)

Although the date isn’t mentioned on the comic, there are a couple of pages at the end where the artist had applied for copyright and the date on that is April 1946. The story is an interesting mix of fact and fiction, mainly fiction, as explorers search underground caves on the Nullabor Plain for signs of prehistoric life. The 15-page story takes up the whole comic book, except for a one-pager at the end. Given the time period, there are a couple of instances that we would now consider racist, such as the word ‘Abo’ used to describe indigenous people. This word is considered derogatory today, though that probably wasn’t the intention at the time, as it is an example of the Aussie tendency to shorten words.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=38610

As SuperScrounge has pointed out, the cover may be from another comic, but the story is the one labelled Desert-Dragon Comic.

Triumph Comics (1946)

This is an interesting mixed bag comic, with three main stories and some one-page fillers. It was uploaded recently, and as Downunder Dan mentioned in his notes, it includes a story by female artist Moira Bertram. I wasn’t aware of any female comic book artists in Australia from that time, so it was interesting to see her unique style. As the story features head-hunters, it’s probably not surprising that there is some content that would be regarded as racist now, including one occurrence of the N-word. Though it ‘sort of’ turns out okay. I’ll be interested to see what you think.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=88161

Tim Valour #3 (1948)

This is another recent upload and contains two sci-fi stories and a pirate tale. The title story is by John Dixon, who was one of Australia’s best comic book artists of the era. Frew Publications, who publish Phantom comics in Australia, have put out a couple of compilations of his work which I’ve really enjoyed. It’s interesting to see some of his earlier work on Tim Valour, when he would have only been about 19.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=87672

I’ll look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 01:21:41 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #318 - Obscure Post-War Australian Comics (1946-1948)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 12:14:46 AM »

Good choices!  I've been interested lately, in learning more about Golden Age Australian comics.  I'm a little bit familiar with Triumph Comics' publisher, Frank Johnson's Gem Comics, from soon after that time.  I look forward to reading these books and seeing how Australia's early post war comics stand in relation to British, Dutch, Canadian, and US comics of that time.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 01:08:06 AM »

Good choices!  I've been interested lately, in learning more about Golden Age Australian comics.  I'm a little bit familiar with Triumph Comics' publisher, Frank Johnson's Gem Comics, from soon after that time.  I look forward to reading these books and seeing how Australia's early post war comics stand in relation to British, Dutch, Canadian, and US comics of that time.

Glad you like the look of them, Robb. As I said in my notes, you will find a few instances of things we would now regard as racist. However, I was interested to see that we had our own superheroes at that time. I've only heard of these ones recently, as I grew up after a lot of our Australian comic books had ceased publication. It was all Disney, Hanna-Barbera and Archie when I was growing up and I used to wonder why we didn't seem to have our own comics, except for the ones that appeared in newspaper strips. Now I'm discovering we did. And thanks to Downunder Dan for all the recent uploads. I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 11:36:27 PM »

Dr Mensana (1946)

Um, whoops... This is actually Desert-Dragon Comic. Mr. Golden Age mentions in his note "Cover does not belong to issue. The first page is the actual cover."

So there is an actual Dr. Mensana comic, but we don't have it, just the cover. Someone should probably clean this up to avoid future confusion.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 01:18:34 AM »

Dr Mensana (1946)

Um, whoops... This is actually Desert-Dragon Comic. Mr. Golden Age mentions in his note "Cover does not belong to issue. The first page is the actual cover."

So there is an actual Dr. Mensana comic, but we don't have it, just the cover. Someone should probably clean this up to avoid future confusion.

Thanks SuperScrounge

I did notice that the first page of the story says 'Desert Dragon Comic', but I wasn't sure if that was just the name of the story or the comic book. So that cover probably goes with a different story?

The book I have on Australian comics only gives one par about Dr Mensana, but that clarifies it a bit. It starts with a quote from 'Black Vulture' and then gives this:

"Tom Hubble created science fiction strips for the Bookstall Company, most of which were published in anthologies. His creation Doctor Mensana was the 'Samson of Science', and he featured in all four of Hub's Bookstall Comics. The Doctor obtained extraordinary powers by simply swallowing pills of his own invention: to increase his physical powers, he swallowed an S+ pill; to augment his mental powers, he took an M+ pill. Black Vulture Comics (subtitled 'Piracy on the Skyways') featured a lead story set 'somewhere about the year 1950 AD.' Its sequel was the sixteen page three penny Desert-Dragon Comic."

We have the issue of Black Vulture Comics on the site.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=87918

The story I've selected here, is then the sequel. I've changed the heading in my initial post to reflect the title of the actual story. Thanks for pointing that out, SuperScrounge.

Cheers

QQ
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 01:23:39 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 03:30:12 AM »

Triumph Comics

Interesting that of the three figures on the cover, only the Raven is the star of his own feature, the other two are villains.

Sporting Life
Okay bio page.

The Raven
Interesting. In some respects the Raven almost feels like a guest star in his own story, if they didn't tell us the Raven set off the armory explosion I would have assumed it was random chance that saved Dr. Mason.

Prendergast and Midshipman Breezy 1
Ummm... okay. Even though it was just an animal, killing, cooking, and eating his opponent seemed unnecessarily grim.

Jo and the Headhunter
I guess the writer assumed the audience would be familiar with Jo and her magic cape so felt no need to explain where she got it or what it can do other than lets her fly. The art was nice, although the decision to portray the headhunters as flat black with highlights was... an interesting design choice. Odd that both the Raven story and this story had external circumstances drag their heroes into the stories. Is King Kung the earliest King Kong parody?

The Terrible Twins
Was there ever a time where kids just let complete strangers into the house?

Captain Jerry Winters
I looked at that lackluster title and thought, 'Captain Winters would be a good name for a cold-based superhero.'
Seems like random chance was on the side of the hero here.

Prendergast and Midshipman Breezy 2
Okay

Australian Background
Sounds like an interesting woman.

Thanks SuperScrounge

You're welcome!  :)

I did notice that the first page of the story says 'Desert Dragon Comic', but I wasn't sure if that was just the name of the story or the comic book. So that cover probably goes with a different story?

Yep.

I was indexing the Dr. Mansana index at the GCD when I realized something wasn't right, then I noticed Mr. Golden Age's note. D'oh!

Not sure how easy or difficult it will be to do, but someone should split the Dr. Mansana cover from the Desert-Dragon Comic, so future readers don't get confused.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 07:29:21 AM »

Triumph Comics

Interesting that of the three figures on the cover, only the Raven is the star of his own feature, the other two are villains.

Jo and the Headhunter
I guess the writer assumed the audience would be familiar with Jo and her magic cape so felt no need to explain where she got it or what it can do other than lets her fly. The art was nice, although the decision to portray the headhunters as flat black with highlights was... an interesting design choice. Odd that both the Raven story and this story had external circumstances drag their heroes into the stories. Is King Kung the earliest King Kong parody?

Australian Background
Sounds like an interesting woman.

I hadn't noticed that about the cover before you mentioned it, SuperScrounge. Maybe they thought a pic of a headhunter would attract more readers than Jo and her flying cape. I liked the artwork in her story on the whole, but it was a bit of a mishmash of different styles.

And if you're planning a trip to Sydney anytime soon, here's a bit more on Mrs Macquarie and her granite chair:

https://www.visitsydneyaustralia.com.au/mrs-macquaries.html

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 01:18:50 AM »

Thanks for the introduction to Australian comics, Q.Q. I knew next to nothing on the subject (except that The Phantom still has a market there) John Dixon’s art was great, making me wonder if he hung around for colour adventures.
I wish they had as many ads as the Americans had in theirs. It would be cool to see. But over all a nice afternoon diversion. Thanks again, really enjoyed them
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 02:27:19 AM »

John Dixon’s art was great, making me wonder if he hung around for colour adventures.

Dixon did a daily strip, 'Air Hawke and the Flying Doctors'
Air Hawk and the Flying Doctors was an Australian comic strip that ran from 1959 until 1986. The strip appeared in every Australian state, as well as in Britain, New Zealand, South Africa, France, and North and South America. The strip is set in the Australian outback and follows the adventures of Jim Hawk, a former Royal Australian Air Force pilot and intelligence agent, “who operates the Air Hawk Charter service from Alice Springs. The charter service worked in conjunction with the Royal Flying Doctor Service.” 

Don't know if anyone ever collected it into a book or books.
https://www.joseflebovicgallery.com/pages/books/CL194-156/john-dixon-aust/three-comic-strips-from-air-hawk-and-the-flying-doctors.
As you can see his art got better and better.
Sundays were in colour.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dixon_(cartoonist)
In 1986 he moved to Washington, D.C. in the United States, where he worked as art-director of a magazine, Defense and Foreign Affairs, for five years. When the magazine ceased production he moved to California, returning to comics for a short while, working on various titles (Bloodshot, Eternal Warrior, H.A.R.D. Corps, Shadowman and Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom[6]) for US publisher Valiant Comics, then as an independent illustrator for New York's Voyager Communications and as a storyboard artist for film and videogames.

So, if you have read Jim Shooter era VALIANT books, you have seen his work, He mostly did inking, although Variant's production techniques, in my opinion, didn't do justice to his work.
Last but not least,
He drew sixteen stories of Agent Corrigan that were published in a Swedish comic book from 1997 to 2003.

That is work I would like to see, and I have previously put a call out on CB+ for anybody who can locate these.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 08:48:10 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 04:09:49 AM »

Desert-Dragon Comic

Dr. Mensana
The pacing of the story and Hub's signature every couple of panels, make me wonder if this was planned as a newspaper comic instead of a comic book.

The Kronosaurus is not a dinosaur, it is a plesiosaur.

This discovery would revolutionize the study of paleontology, what with having living specimens to study.

Could have been better, but otherwise an entertaining read.

Ivan the Terrible
Cute.  :)
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 01:53:20 AM »

Thanks for the introduction to Australian comics, Q.Q. I knew next to nothing on the subject (except that The Phantom still has a market there) John Dixon’s art was great, making me wonder if he hung around for colour adventures.
I wish they had as many ads as the Americans had in theirs. It would be cool to see. But over all a nice afternoon diversion. Thanks again, really enjoyed them

Glad you liked them, Morgus. If it's any consolation, I'd never heard of these ones either! Though I discovered John Dixon's art about 18 months ago. Panther and a couple of the others had been talking about the Phantom and Frew Publications, so I started looking for them and came across two John Dixon compilations. I'm not sure if Frew send stuff overseas, but here are the links:

https://www.phantomcomic.com.au/collections/giantsize-phantom/products/giantsize-phantom-issue-no-14-2020

https://www.phantomcomic.com.au/collections/giantsize-phantom/products/giantsize-phantom-issue-no-23-2022

My favourites of his are Catman and Captain Strato. Sadly, I've since discovered that he only ever made three issues of Captain Strato. I also like the Tim Valour one. Apparently, there are 98 of those, but alas only one on CB+ so far. But they do have some of his Catman and Crimson Comet on CB+ You'd have to check individual issues to see which ones were drawn by him:

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2920

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2445

As Panther mentioned, the  Air Hawk Sunday strips were in colour. However, I've only seen his black-and-white art in comic books. Not sure if there were any colour ones.

Cheers

QQ

ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 02:00:11 AM »

John Dixon’s art was great, making me wonder if he hung around for colour adventures.

Dixon did a daily strip, 'Air Hawke and the Flying Doctors'
Air Hawk and the Flying Doctors was an Australian comic strip that ran from 1959 until 1986. The strip appeared in every Australian state, as well as in Britain, New Zealand, South Africa, France, and North and South America. The strip is set in the Australian outback and follows the adventures of Jim Hawk, a former Royal Australian Air Force pilot and intelligence agent, “who operates the Air Hawk Charter service from Alice Springs. The charter service worked in conjunction with the Royal Flying Doctor Service.” 

Don't know if anyone ever collected it into a book or books.

Cheers!

Thanks for that, Panther. I remember the strips being in the paper, but I didn't really get into the serials back when I was a teen. I was more into the funny strips. I'd probably enjoy it now. And it looks like some of the strips have indeed been collected:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Dixons-Hawk-Flying-Doctor/dp/0980653533/

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 02:05:09 AM »

Desert-Dragon Comic

Dr. Mensana
The pacing of the story and Hub's signature every couple of panels, make me wonder if this was planned as a newspaper comic instead of a comic book.

The Kronosaurus is not a dinosaur, it is a plesiosaur.

This discovery would revolutionize the study of paleontology, what with having living specimens to study.

I agree, though it seemed strange to me that they didn't try harder to keep it alive. It was like, 'It's died. No worries. The museum will love it!'  I guess conservation wasn't as much in the forefront of people's minds back then. Probably explains why we let the Tasmanian Tiger reach extinction (a real animal, if you've not heard of it, but the last one died in 1936).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 02:25:58 AM »

Tim Valour Comic #3

The Planet of Death
Sounds like a lovely vacation spot.  ;)

Rocket security not doing its job at keeping unauthorized people off the ship.  ;)

Wrong terminology. In space it is called a meteoroid, a meteor while burning up in the atmosphere, and meteorite after it crashes into the planet.

Just wait till the Interplanetary Society for the Protection of Animals hears about Tim destroying a planet full of previously unknown animals. He'll really be in trouble then.  ;)

Overly simplistic, but otherwise entertaining.

Action Over the Pacific
Skyman & Buzz kinda falls into the Batman & Robin mold.

Security was not doing it's job, again. (Since it's the same comic can we say it was the same incompetents who let Ann on the rocketship?)  ;)

Considering the size of the Titan the fuel expenses must be high. Something that the crooks never considered, I think.

Okay.

Rip Weston
Sometimes I read stories and get the feeling that the writer doesn't know what to do with it, so they come up with lackluster ideas to kill time. Even Rip & Obo admitted they were just killing time. While it's true the gold would have no meaning on the island (unless they are into jewelry-making) they could put the gold aside for if they ever have contact with outsiders for trade.

Despite the shark showing up like Chekhov's Gun he doesn't play any part in the villains getting their comeuppance, instead we get deus ex octopus lending a tentacle. Nevermind that octopi are actually peaceful creatures the writer has to use speciesest slander of the evil octopus. Shock! Horror! Prejudice! *shakes head*  ;)
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 03:00:08 AM »

I agree, though it seemed strange to me that they didn't try harder to keep it alive. It was like, 'It's died. No worries. The museum will love it!'

And that's not even the first story I encountered that idea in. Amazing Man Comics #6 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=24352 in the Jungle Battles story (pages 17-19) Jay kills a stegosaurus & then says, "What a break this turns out to be, Kelingo! In a short while the flesh eaters will devour this fellow and leave us the bones". As if paleontologists choose to study bones and don't care about the rest of the animal. *shakes head*

I guess conservation wasn't as much in the forefront of people's minds back then. Probably explains why we let the Tasmanian Tiger reach extinction (a real animal, if you've not heard of it, but the last one died in 1936).

Yeah, I've heard of it. Even watched some YouTube videos on how some think there might be some survivors that are really good at hiding from people.
Shame the zoo that had the last one known hadn't acquired a member of the opposite sex at some point for a breeding pair.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 08:52:32 AM »

The Air Hawk/Flying Doctor strip is available.  See Boutje.  Drop me a pm if you can't find it.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 02:48:36 AM »

I agree, though it seemed strange to me that they didn't try harder to keep it alive. It was like, 'It's died. No worries. The museum will love it!'

And that's not even the first story I encountered that idea in. Amazing Man Comics #6 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=24352 in the Jungle Battles story (pages 17-19) Jay kills a stegosaurus & then says, "What a break this turns out to be, Kelingo! In a short while the flesh eaters will devour this fellow and leave us the bones". As if paleontologists choose to study bones and don't care about the rest of the animal. *shakes head*

I guess conservation wasn't as much in the forefront of people's minds back then. Probably explains why we let the Tasmanian Tiger reach extinction (a real animal, if you've not heard of it, but the last one died in 1936).

Yeah, I've heard of it. Even watched some YouTube videos on how some think there might be some survivors that are really good at hiding from people.
Shame the zoo that had the last one known hadn't acquired a member of the opposite sex at some point for a breeding pair.

Thanks for the link to that story, SuperScrounge. That's classic! Lucky the paleontologist had those dinosaur bombs back at camp. Though I got confused on the last page. Are the scaly lizard and the giant serpent supposed to be the same? They look different from each other, but there's no mention of another creature suddenly appearing. Lucky they could 'dispose' of the skeleton at the coast.

And yes, sad about the Tasmanian tigers. Over the years, there have been occasional claims of sightings, but never substantiated. Though there are still wilderness areas in Tasmania, so you never know.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 05:58:42 AM »

Thanks for the link to that story, SuperScrounge. That's classic! Lucky the paleontologist had those dinosaur bombs back at camp. Though I got confused on the last page.

Yeah, I think it started off as a newspaper style strip, but whoever put it together as comic pages got confused.

My guess at the proper reading order is:
Page 2, Panel 8,
Page 3, Panels 4-8,
Page 2, Panels 9-11,
Page 3, Panels 1-3, then Panels 9-13.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2024, 02:55:01 AM »

Thanks for the link to that story, SuperScrounge. That's classic! Lucky the paleontologist had those dinosaur bombs back at camp. Though I got confused on the last page.

Yeah, I think it started off as a newspaper style strip, but whoever put it together as comic pages got confused.

My guess at the proper reading order is:
Page 2, Panel 8,
Page 3, Panels 4-8,
Page 2, Panels 9-11,
Page 3, Panels 1-3, then Panels 9-13.

Thanks for going above and beyond on that one, SuperScrounge. I can see now that the serpent-like head first seems to appear on the 3rd page, Panel 3, so it does seem that the pages are out of order. But never let that stop a good story ... um ...  :D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2024, 02:27:41 AM »

Hi everyone

I did a quick search to find out more about 'Jo and Her Magic Cape' by Moira Bertram from the Triumph Comic, and found a really interesting conference paper by Dr Kevin Patrick called Jo and Her Magic Cape: The Female Superhero and 'Austerican' Culture. By 'Austerican', he's referring to the Americanisation of Australian popular culture, particularly after all the US military were stationed in Australia during WWII. As my mother will tell you, we never saw Coca Cola or chewing gum before then  :D You can find the article at the following site, though you have to register for free to get the full PDF (and I'm not sure if it's available everywhere). Well worth reading if you're interested in that sort of thing.

https://www.academia.edu/1695350/Jo_and_Her_Magic_Cape_The_Female_Superhero_and_Austerican_Culture

According to the article, Moira Bertram was only 14 when she wrote and drew the first of her comic instalments for Sydney's Daily Mirror newspaper. She later repackaged the full stories as comic book features that she sold to various publishers, though she told them she was 16 so that they would publish them. That could be one reason why different dates appear for her year of birth. Although Moira was an Australian girl, she had visited New York with her father who had business there. So her heroine Jo was a Broadway dancer with a New York accent who had a magician's cape that enabled her to fly. Like other superheroes of the time, she joined the US military in fighting the Japanese, though she surprisingly didn't include Australian or New Zealand military. In fact, Kevin Patrick notes that Bertram went to great lengths to pitch her character as American. This could be because she had first-hand experience of America, due to her travels, but it could also be because of the American influence in wartime Australia.

Patrick also makes some interesting comments about the art.  When the embargo on American comics was put in place in Australia during the war, publishers turned to homegrown products. However, some of the older male artists had come from an illustration background and weren't necessarily familiar with the dynamic storytelling techniques of comic books. Patrick gives Dr Mensana by Tom Hubble (one of our other selections this fortnight) as an example. Hubble was born in 1903 and came from a commercial art background, and was part of the generation who grew up on British 'penny' comics which were 'full of stories, not pictures', according to children's author Ivan Southall. (Perhaps our British friends can comment on that.) Comic book creators from that era tended to use 'unvarying panel compositions, overcrowded with word balloons'. I think you can see that in the Dr Mensana comic, though others would be a lot more knowledgeable about that era than I am.

By contrast, Patrick notes that Bertram was a child in the 1930s and would have experienced American comic books before the embargo, which tended to be more dynamic. Interestingly, her sister Kathleen was the one who did the lettering and designed the page layouts.

Anyway, you can find more detail in the full article, but I thought that was an interesting contrast and helps explain why her art is quite different from some of the others in that era. I'd be interested in any comments you have on it.

Cheers

QQ

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2024, 04:03:13 AM »

Thank you  QQ for hgighlighting these.I'm going to keep it short and just talk mostly about the content.

Should point out, that even tho I started reading and collecting comics in the late 50's, most of what Dan has    found is new to me. There were second-hand shops then, and a lot of them, but I saw very few older Australian comics. Comics were regarded as a disposable medium and the medium of comic books has always had less respect here from the intelligentsia than in most other English-speaking countries.  Sad but true.
SO. The cover looks like the art coming out of the soviet union in the 30s - 50's.
If you bought it looking for the story depicted on the cover, you would obviously be disappointed. 

Interesting that we see the shell ejected from the gun after he fires the shot. A detail almost always missing visually.  Like the realistic dangle on the cigarette too.
Nullabor [ No tree] plain, is really a desert. But it's not true that it was unexplored, even then. Parts of it are mineral rich, there were major Gold discoveries, and that would have been motivation enough.
"Who knows what we will discover on it, or beneath it?"

It's what is underneath it that is most interesting.
The mystery of the Nullarbor Caves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHeqdYslX80
So, this is a story based in reality. Good to see a subject like this be the content of a comic. -Too many words to technically be a good comic and much of the detail is now out of date, but much of the cave systems remain unexplored, so who knows?
Ivan the terrible.
The bird is a kookaburra. Getting harder to find in the wild. They used to wake me up every morning, sitting on the electric wires in front of the house. Kingfisher family.   
Kookaburra Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jW7A2glZbk

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2024, 11:41:35 PM »

Triumph Comics (1946)
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=88161
As a result of the current 'gaming' of Google, I couldn't find anything there on Dinny Rails. I'm sure there is, tho. There is something on almost everything else.
The existence of this one-page piece is strikingly similar to such pieces in US comics. That tells me that uS comics of the day were a strong influence on Australian comics, more so than the then current English comics were.
Phillip Belbin's art is quite good for the period.
Gets straight into the story, no explanation as to why the Raven is 'flying high over the Pacific ocean." or where he is going. Or why the hidden villains should reveal their presence by shooting him down. The story is filled with these inconsistencies but is visually well-told. 
Prendergast.
There were trained Boxing Kangaroos.As depicted, a Kangaroo could disembowel you.
Headhunterts.
Moira Bertram is an excellent, if idiosyncratic artist. Here she tells a very absurd story and has a lot of fun doing it. Early reference to the 'Jet Stream'?  Seems to be an exercise in how many cliches you can squeeze into one story.
Even breaks 'the forth wall'  [Oh!Oh! look at that poor native girl below, Serge!!]
I would have liked to meet her. I don't think she would have suffered fools gladly. She would have been great on Plastic Man. Impossible to take anything in this story seriously, the artist clearly didn't. I'd like to see more of her work.
The Terrible twins.
Max and Moritz Australianized?
Captain Jerry Winters - Peter Chapman.
So he ends up on a Rocket Ship heading into space, destination unknown, with 4 beautiful women for a crew, three in bikinis! Must have been an interesting next chapter.
Mrs MacQuarie's Chair
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6068/6061645392_793ace6867_b.jpg
And the view
https://grabyourcamera.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/mrs-macquaries-chair-sydney-photo-2.jpg

cheers!

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2024, 12:10:25 AM »

Tim Valour #3 (1948)
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=87672

The Planet of Death. [John Dixon - 1948]
Very early work by Dixon. 
The colouring choices on the cover are good and very attention-getting.
[For those who don't know, most Australian comics were produced on Newsprint and with Black and White interiors.]
The Story
How heavy would a 'Woven Lead Suit' be? And did ANNE have one?
We've seen ' The girlfriend stowing away on the spaceship' in more than one US comic. Those pesky girls!
As usual for a 'Space' story of this type, the lapses in logic and the inconsistencies abound.
Doesn't make it any less entertaining tho.   
Action over the Pacific.
'Flying Boats' were all the rage at the time. I've often wondered why they seem to have died out. 
THE Titan has to be influenced by Howard Hughes' 'Spuce Goose' that only flew once.
The Largest Wooden Airplane Ever Built
https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/exhibit/the-spruce-goose/ 
A pretty dull story but livened by Yaroslav Horak's early art. 
Rip Weston
This story doesn't seem to belong in this book.

Thanks QQ! Nice One.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2024, 12:12:14 AM »

Tomorrow some new choices by our guest for the month.
cheers!
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2024, 02:02:48 AM »

Thank you  QQ for highlighting these.I'm going to keep it short and just talk mostly about the content.

Should point out, that even tho I started reading and collecting comics in the late 50's, most of what Dan has    found is new to me. There were second-hand shops then, and a lot of them, but I saw very few older Australian comics. Comics were regarded as a disposable medium and the medium of comic books has always had less respect here from the intelligentsia than in most other English-speaking countries.  Sad but true.
SO. The cover looks like the art coming out of the soviet union in the 30s - 50's.
If you bought it looking for the story depicted on the cover, you would obviously be disappointed. 

Interesting that we see the shell ejected from the gun after he fires the shot. A detail almost always missing visually.  Like the realistic dangle on the cigarette too.
Nullabor [ No tree] plain, is really a desert. But it's not true that it was unexplored, even then. Parts of it are mineral rich, there were major Gold discoveries, and that would have been motivation enough.
"Who knows what we will discover on it, or beneath it?"

It's what is underneath it that is most interesting.
The mystery of the Nullarbor Caves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHeqdYslX80
So, this is a story based in reality. Good to see a subject like this be the content of a comic. -Too many words to technically be a good comic and much of the detail is now out of date, but much of the cave systems remain unexplored, so who knows?
Ivan the terrible.
The bird is a kookaburra. Getting harder to find in the wild. They used to wake me up every morning, sitting on the electric wires in front of the house. Kingfisher family.   
Kookaburra Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jW7A2glZbk

Thanks for that, Panther. I agree with you about the cover. It does look like something out of the Cold War and probably wouldn't have appealed to me as a kid. Good pick-up about the bullet casing and the cigarette. I'm not sure if you saw SuperScrounge's earlier post, but it looks like this might be the wrong cover. The first page of the story says it's Desert-Dragon Comic, so this Dr Mensana cover may have been added. Interestingly, there is one other Dr Mensana story on this site that appears in 'Black Vulture Comic'. The Dr Mensana one is the second story in the book and is entitled 'The Crime Shadow'. As the title suggests, it is much more of a crime detection story. On the last page of that book, they have an ad with the cover we have here. So maybe it was a separate book?  Here's the link to the Black Vulture Comic.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=87918

And yes, a shame that comic books weren't valued as much at the time, or seen as something for kids only -- perhaps something you 'grew out of'. My mother had a sister called Valma who was five years older than her and loved comics. Sadly Valma died in 1951 at the age of just 22, so I never had a chance to meet her. But Mum's often mentioned that when Valma got a bit older, she used to send little sister Mum in to buy the comics for her, presumably because she was embarrassed to buy them for herself. My grandmother kept Valma's comics for many years, though I never saw them and they are long gone now. What I wouldn't give to have a look through her stash, which would have mainly been from the 1940s and maybe a few from the late 1930s. Sadly, my mother has no interest in comics and can't remember even what kind of comics they were.

And speaking of kookaburras, we live on the edge of town near a rural area, so still see and hear kookaburras nearby. I've even seen one sitting on my fence on occasion. Always love looking for the source of that distinctive sound.

Cheers

QQ

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.