in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Time Bomb Comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Time Bomb Comics  (Read 167 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Time Bomb Comics
« on: March 10, 2024, 05:05:14 PM »

This is Shameless Promotion for someone else. I am no part of the business except as a fan who buys and reads their books.
Time Bomb Comics.
https://timebombcomics.com/
I spent some time chatting with the Time Bomb folk at the Comicon yesterday, as I often do when they have tables up here. Apart from doing the business shifting their books, they're enthusiastic about comics and happy to talk about all things comics.
For anyone thinking about trying them, might I suggest the anthology book, Flintlock? Also, the newer Quantum comic - which is available on newsstands in GB.
You'll see on their website 2 mini GNs, Dick Turpin, which is a really good read, and The Clockwork Cavalier, my personal favourite.  The horror western, Westernoir is now part of the TB stable.  Highly recommended.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Time Bomb Comics
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 11:50:20 PM »

Well, there's passion and some interesting work being done here.
Most of it doesn't interest me tho.
It's notable to me that the current generation of comic creaotrs just cannot deal with reality.
Can't do a Western without it being Western + Horror + Steampunk + magic + aternative universe.
The major US producers are clogged with this stuff anyway, so maybe comics based on real life might just be something differennt.
So, what interests me here?
Possibly FLINTLOCK.
I thought maybe DICK TURPIN, but
Infamous highwayman Dick Turpin gets more than he expected when a robbery gone wrong leads to ghouls, ghosts and a haunted house. 

No Thanks.
Stevenson's Robot?
I've read biographies of both Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Robert Stephenson, both of whom I admire.  Neither had the kind of technology to create Robots.   
So, no thanks.
SPECTRUM: Gerry Anderson Anthology.
That could be good. Lot of potential there.
Harker? Possibly.
Tales of WESTERNoir
Huge fan of both Westerns and NOIR. This in fact, is really neither.
So, no thanks.
But thanks for telling us about it.
And I wish them well.   
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 08:51:32 AM »

It's notable to me that the current generation of comic creaotrs just cannot deal with reality.

You could make that comment about most writers of fiction.  ;)

Can't do a Western without it being Western + Horror + Steampunk + magic + aternative universe.

Well, how many writers have actually lived something approaching a western lifestyle? Have they even rode a horse? Not to mention tying the western lifestyle into something that appeals to modern people that can't be done more enticingly with science fiction.
Open frontier and freedom - Western yes - Sci-Fi yes
Toilet facilities - Western holes in the ground, sitting on branches, maybe an outhouse - Sci-Fi yes
Comfort - Western riding hours or days on a bony nag exposed to the weather, or a bumpy stagecoach, if you're lucky a train - Sci-Fi yes

Not to mention things that no longer exist so authors don't think to include them. I was watching a YouTube video on whatever happened to locusts & realized that it's only older western stories that usually mention locusts. I was watching another video on passenger pigeons and how flocks of these birds would fly overhead for days turning the landscape white from bird shit & realized I had never encountered this in a western even though they would have still had passenger pigeons then. "All right, pilgrims, we got a flock of passenger pigeons coming so make sure to get undercover and have containers of drinking water available because for the next three or four days everything around will be contaminated with bird shit!"

The Western subgenres can be interesting, although they can be overdone. The Jonah Hex movie would have been much better without the supernatural elements. While I liked The Wild Wild West (TV series), Cowboys and Aliens (the comic) bored me with its pretentious twaddle.

so maybe comics based on real life might just be something differennt.
Well, real life these days is one of those things that a lot of people would like to escape.  ;)

As for the books by this publisher I sadly didn't see much that grabbed me, although I was surprised to see they had licensed the Anderson characters, although I think the only Anderson series it might be nice to see new stories of is UFO.

Good luck to them though!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 01:39:58 PM »

Well, real life these days is one of those things that a lot of people would like to escape.

Exactly my point. Myself, back when I started to read comics, westerns, Science Fiction and so on, one of the motivations was obviously to find something to occupy my mind that helped me escape my daily life. But I soon found that work that was worth reading, watching or listening to, had  to be based on the logic of reality otherwise, what in Science Fiction is called 'Willing suspension of disblief" is not possible.
  Not to mention things that no longer exist so authors don't think to include them. I was watching a YouTube video on whatever happened to locusts & realized that it's only older western stories that usually mention locusts. 

Locusts do exist, they are just not part of the experience of most literate westerners.
In Australia, in the 'inner west - not far from where I live - I have been through 'swarms' of locusts at least twice.
This was 202O, just a few years ago.
Swarms of locusts forced Somalia to declare a national emergency. Skin-crawling photos show how menacing their plagues can be.
https://www.businessinsider.com/desert-locust-plague-devastates-africa-photos-history-2020-2

You could make that comment about most writers of fiction.

Shakespeare? Hemingway? Dickens? No alternative universes, people coming back from the dead, zombies, vampires or steam-punk there.

Passenger Pigeons?
  Passenger pigeons, too, were in their final years. In 1871 their great communal nesting sites had covered 850 square miles of Wisconsin’s sandy oak barrens—136 million breeding adults, naturalist A.W. Schorger later estimated. After that the population plummeted until, by the mid-1890s, wild flock sizes numbered in the dozens rather than the hundreds of millions (or even billions). Then they disappeared altogether, except for three captive breeding flocks   

The period of 'the wild west' was only a few decades, from shortly after the end of the civil war to the coming of the automobile. They are not mentioned in western stories because by that time their numbers were inconsequential. And most Western Authors were meticulous in getting period detail right.
My 'detail' that bugs me about Westerns is to do with Western Films, where the roads in Western Towns never have any manure or evidence of horses presence in the streets. Can you imagine the smell and the lack of hygiene?

cheers! 

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 04:22:54 PM »

OOOH-ERRRR, missus.  Dickens and ghost stories?  I love The Signalman.
Hamlet? Macbeth?
Supernatural all over the shop.
Anyway, the pair of you, watch your inboxes for a we transfer. 
The Dick Turpin in the TB book is not the Turpin you know from Thriller Picture Library.  This is closer to the real one.
SS, you're so right, "Well, real life these days is one of those things that a lot of people would like to escape.  ;)"
I should add that one of my favourite characters in current comics is The Clockwork Cavalier.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 07:50:33 PM »

Locusts do exist, they are just not part of the experience of most literate westerners.

Neither I nor the video said they didn't, just that they had gone from a serious threat during the 1800s to practically nothing. I wish I could find the video, but what I can recall was that humans accidentally wiped out a breeding ground for the worst of the worst locusts.

Passenger Pigeons?
They are not mentioned in western stories because by that time their numbers were inconsequential. And most Western Authors were meticulous in getting period detail right.

Okay, I wasn't aware how low their numbers had dwindled.
Years ago a guy on NitCentral complained about how some western TV shows get dates of various things wrong and I just did the same thing. Guess I'm just gonna have to scrap that story I wrote where President Grant and Emperor Norton get fed fried passenger pigeon by Colonel Sanders.  ;)

My 'detail' that bugs me about Westerns is to do with Western Films, where the roads in Western Towns never have any manure or evidence of horses presence in the streets. Can you imagine the smell and the lack of hygiene?

Yes. Yes, I can. We have some big dairy farms here in Washington state and you can definitely tell when you're getting close to one. Something in the air...  ;)

Anyway, the pair of you, watch your inboxes for a we transfer.

I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!  :)
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 10:08:32 PM »

most Western Authors were meticulous in getting period detail right.

I am again reminded of a tale John Creasy (supposedly) told about himself. A friend who wrote Western stories became ill. Creasey stepped in at the last moment to finish the friend's current story before the deadline. "I think I did pretty well," he said, "except for the part where the coyote flew overhead."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 10:12:21 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.