in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #321 - Ellery Queen

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #321 - Ellery Queen  (Read 393 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #321 - Ellery Queen
« on: April 14, 2024, 09:52:41 PM »

Hi everyone

Ellery Queen was both the pseudonym and character created by Frederic Dannay and Manfred Lee in 1928. He has appeared in about 40 novels, as well as short-story collections, films, and TV and radio shows. I thought it would be interesting to look at a couple of his comic book incarnations.

Ellery Queen #2 (1952) – (Ziff-Davis)

Ellery Queen appeared in his own series published by Ziff-Davis in 1952. Unfortunately, it only lasted two issues, but we have both of them on the site. I’ve chosen No. 2 as one of this fortnight’s selections.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=8790

The Adventures of Ellery Queen – Crackajack Funnies Archive (Dell)

As far as I can find, Ellery Queen’s first comic book appearance was in Dell’s Crackajack Funnies No. 23 published in 1940, and he continued to be a regular feature through to Issue 42 in 1941. CB+ has a compilation archive of Ellery’s stories from Crackajack Funnies. It’s 140 pages, so I’m not expecting everyone to read the whole thing. But maybe read the first story and then two or three others that spark your interest.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=65155

Amendment - The first three pages are missing from the third story in the Crackajack Funnies archive. On p. 22, there's a cover of Ellery swinging from a rope, but when you turn the page, the story seems to start in the middle. You can find that complete story in Crackajack Funnies #25. It's the first story after the one-page Dick Tracy strip. Here's the link:

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26171

And if you’re a super fan, CB+ also has a lot of the Ellery Queen radio shows.

I’ll look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:40:06 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #321 - Ellery Queen
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 01:11:42 AM »

QQ, Nice one!

looking forward to reading and thinking about these.   

Those early Dell anthology books have some really interesting material. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 03:49:20 AM »

Hi everyone

Ellery Queen was both the pseudonym and character created by Frederic Dannay and Manfred Lee in 1928. He has appeared in about 40 novels, as well as short-story collections, films, and TV and radio shows. I thought it would be interesting to look at a couple of his comic book incarnations.

Ellery Queen appeared in his own series published by Ziff-Davis in 1952. Unfortunately, it only lasted two issues, but we have both of them on the site. I’ve chosen No. 2 as one of this fortnight’s selections.

The Adventures of Ellery Queen – Crackajack Funnies Archive (Dell)

As far as I can find, Ellery Queen’s first comic book appearance was in Dell’s Crackajack Funnies No. 23 published in 1940, and he continued to be a regular feature through to Issue 42 in 1941. CB+ has a compilation archive of Ellery’s stories from Crackajack Funnies. It’s 140 pages, so I’m not expecting everyone to read the whole thing. But maybe read the first one and then two or three others that spark your interest.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=65155

And if you’re a super fan, CB+ also has a lot of the Ellery Queen radio shows.

I’ll look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka

Great choices, QQ, I like detective/crime mysteries, and the old Dell/Western late '30s and '40s comics (despite the primitive artwork of those early days of comic books).  Ziff-Davis during the beginning of the 1950s made a very different product, with better artwork, but often colouring that is too bright (sometimes so bright with clashing colours) that it was hard for me to take my eyes off it, and look at the inked lines of the artwork.  More than half of Ziff-Davis' series, only lasted from 1950 to 1952, only ran exactly 2 issues- which indicates to me that those ALL failed to sell enough.  I don't think comic books were ever even remotely a priority with that publisher, which was built on technical trade and for do-it-yourselfer magazines, like "Popular Aviation", Popular Electronics, and the like, which had hundreds of times the circulation than any of their comic books got.  And the fact that they've existed as a publishing company since 1927, and are still going stronger than ever, and their comic book lines lasted only less than a handful of years proves that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 04:03:23 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 04:48:58 AM »

Great choices, QQ, I like detective/crime mysteries, and the old Dell/Western late '30s and '40s comics (despite the primitive artwork of those early days of comic books).  Ziff-Davis during the beginning of the 1950s made a very different product, with better artwork, but often colouring that is too bright (sometimes so bright with clashing colours) that it was hard for me to take my eyes off it, and look at the inked lines of the artwork.  More than half of Ziff-Davis' series, only lasted from 1950 to 1952, only ran exactly 2 issues- which indicates to me that those ALL failed to sell enough.  I don't think comic books were ever even remotely a priority with that publisher, which was built on technical trade and for do-it-yourselfer magazines, like "Popular Aviation", Popular Electronics, and the like, which had hundreds of times the circulation than any of their comic books got.  And the fact that they've existed as a publishing company since 1927, and are still going stronger than ever, and their comic book lines lasted only less than a handful of years proves that.

Thanks for the extra info about Ziff-Davis, Robb. I did wonder why it only lasted two issues, though the art looks pretty good and Ellery Queen is such an enduring character. A shame they didn't give it a longer run so it could settle in.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 04:51:58 AM »

QQ, Nice one!

looking forward to reading and thinking about these.   

Those early Dell anthology books have some really interesting material.

Thanks Panther. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into that anthology too. I appreciate the effort of the folks who put these together. Much easier than reading through separate issues when you're interested in one particular character. Will look forward to your comments

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 12:24:50 AM »

Ellery Queen #2

The Death Parade
Okay story, but sadly no emphasis on giving the reader a chance to figure out who did it, not that it was hard, just a binary choice. Sadly there were no actual clues for the reader to pick up on and attempt to solve it before the reveal, a feature that some of the radio & TV shows used very well and with the story's nice, big panels it would have been the perfect display to hide clues in that the reader could search. Instead we're just told info that Ellery had found out off-panel and a confession. *sigh*

Smythe of Scotlandyard
Ohhhhhh, that's an old joke.

Shake Well Before Using
Okay.

A Killer's Revenge
Okay, but the set-up we see on the splash page was a smarter way for Drake to get the cops to shoot Ellery.

Armored Truck Guard
Almost feels like a Jughead story.

The Judge and the Thief
Part of me expected the story to end with "and then Blackie became an embezzler, a much more honorable type of crime."  ;)
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 02:04:40 AM »

Ellery Queen #2

The Death Parade
Okay story, but sadly no emphasis on giving the reader a chance to figure out who did it, not that it was hard, just a binary choice. Sadly there were no actual clues for the reader to pick up on and attempt to solve it before the reveal, a feature that some of the radio & TV shows used very well and with the story's nice, big panels it would have been the perfect display to hide clues in that the reader could search. Instead we're just told info that Ellery had found out off-panel and a confession. *sigh*

I tend to agree, SuperScrounge. There were no real clues for the reader. [SPOILERS AHEAD] The only little clue I picked up was in the last panel on p. 5 where Grahame looks out the window as Ellery chases the supposed crook. The expression on Grahame's face made me think he was the killer, but there wasn't much else in the way of clues. I remember the Ellery Queen TV show from the mid-70s starring Jim Hutton. Teenage me loved that show because of the clever way Ellery put the clues together, and that was lacking in this story.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 07:26:43 AM »

Yeah, that was a great show. Shame it didn't last longer.

Almost completely unrelated... the late Jim Hutton's son Tim Hutton was on the show Leverage and in one episode the team was at a costume party where everyone was dressed as different detectives, and Tim's character was dressed to look like the Jim Hutton version of Ellery Queen. A nice tribute to his dad.  :)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2024, 12:06:52 AM »

Preamble.
The actual Ellery Queen books were not really my thing, I prefer more hard-boiled crime fiction. However the Ellery Queen magazines were a different story.
I didn't pick up those kind of magazines back in the day - too busy buying comics and actual books.
But I have recently picked up a few old Anthologies and a couple of actual magazines. The most recent anthology being THE LITERATURE OF CRIME( which I am currently getting through. This is a collection of crime stories from authors not noted for work in the genre, So, Ernest Hemingway's classic, 'The Killers' and work by the likes of C.S. Forrester, John Galsworthy, James Thurber, Pearl S Buck and others.
Re the TV show, I didn't know it existed, would have been in the period when regular TV watching was not a part of my life. I am tho, a fan of Tim Hutton's Nero Wolfe series. I have most of them on DVD - probably some I haven't watched there. Have to dig those out again!
Here is the Pilot of Jim Huttons Ellery Queen.
Ellery Queen - Pilot - "Too Many Suspects"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgpz2tW-REU
As was the custom, it's a 1 hour 38 minute movie with lots of 'Guest Stars'
[Ray Milland, John Hillerman, John Larch, Monte Markham]
This is worth watching for the opening sequence demonstrating the recording of a radio drama in 1947. A an absolute gem of a sequence.
So, to the comic book.
Great Norman Saunders cover.
The Death Parade What does the title have to do with the story?
Reading ir now and as I do, I'm wondering why the candidate was in the back seat.A dead giveaway. 
The four panel page layouts are interesting. Concentrates the narrative without many details.
So there is not really any mystery, no suspense and too many coincidences are needed  to Jam the mystery into 12 pages. Yes, the art is technically very good but the whole thing is very disappointing. A few more Yoks and it would be a MAD magazine piece.
Smyth of Scotland Yard
One ot the oldest jokes ever.
A Killer's revenge
The Splash panel has one of the things that I keep threatening myself to start a thread about.
That is, the apparent inability of so many artists to draw a hand holding a gun and firing it, that would actually hit something.
In this image, the gun is falling out of his hand and he's aiming into the ground. And no, he doesn't appear to be injured while he is firing. The 'Posse' coming over the hill don't even appear to have started firing yet.   
Better than the first story but suffers from the same problems.When you read Ellery Queen stories you expect 'Who-dun-it' Mysteries.
As John Hilllerman says in the TV Pilot, 'Match wits and see if you can guess........ Who ... Dun ..It!'
We just don't have that here. If they were genuine mysteries I would have enjoyed the stories as well as the art.
If it's true that,
the Ellery Queen content was provided intact to Ziff-Davis by the Queen estate 
they would have been disappointed. Should have let Ziff- Davis do it, they were good at that sort of thing. At least in their magazines   
The rest is filler. 
cheers!
Worth it for Norman Saunders.       

« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 11:01:41 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2024, 06:04:12 PM »

Front Cover
This cover painting, with Ellery bursting into the room, while the villain has raised a red-hot fireplace poker, about to sear the neck of his beautiful victim is bright with colour and full of action and movement.  As was fairly common in the detective/crime genre of comic books at the beginning of the 1950s, the scene didn't actually occur as depicted in the story it represented inside the book.  It's interesting to me that Ziff-Davis, a major US magazine publisher at that time, used their magazine painters to paint illustrations for their comic books, while other prolific magazine and pulp novel publishers, who also started comic book divisions later(like Dell, Ace, Avon, Fawcett, Farrell, Sangor, Pines, Hillman, Arnold, Sangor, did NOT, and Street and Smith, and United Features, only used them on a few books.

The Death Parade
The title of this story makes the readers think they will witness a lot of murders and their attendant blood and gore.  But, in this comic book version, we see only the results of 2 murders, and mention of 3 more occurring, but not only don't see them being committed, but don't even see their dead bodies.  So, the "advertising" sensationalist description of "The Parade of Death" on the cover, and "Never has a succession of
corpses come more fast and furious" in the story's introduction narrative, are misleading and disappointing to the blood and gore fetishist and action-based art fan.  Also, the bright colouring of this story gives it a more "cheerful" mood that just doesn't fit with the subject matter.  A contrast of darkness and shadow for most of the scenes, with bright light to provide stark contrast for highlighting what the author wants seen in just a few places would provide a much more fitting overall mood and tension, and help the feeling of suspense.

I didn't understand the exact relationship of Ellery's father (Inspector Queen) to the city police force in this story.  I assume that he is a detective (perhaps the head of the detective department of that city's police force).  But Ellery, a private detective, calls his father to join him in unofficial activities that should be handled by the police, WITHOUT him!  Such situations wouldn't occur in real life. 

As stated by QQ, and all the other posters on this thread, this story doesn't provide clues related to a mystery.  It simply is recounting highlights of the action that took place in a multiple murder case.  There is little suspense and no clue following for the reader to test his or her crime solving prowess.

Smythe of Scotlandyard - 1-Page Gag
A weird "comedic" gag that is a Vaudeville 2-man stand-up early 1900s routine.  I suppose this was thrown in as light relief from the "heaviness" of the general subject matter of this book.  But I think it is very much out of place.

A Killer's Revenge
This story also suffers from the bright colouration.  The motivation of the criminal (escaped prisoner's vengeance against Queen for having crippled him) works well for a story in this genre.  A Private detective such as Queen, telling the police about a felonious crime going on, and his visiting the victim, would, in real life, result in the police sending a contingent of detectives and uniformed police officers (at least as back-ups) to the victim's house, probably most likely banning the private detective from the victim's house crime scene, OR, possibly, allowing that private dick to keep his meeting with the woman, while the contingent of policemen is stationed hidden in the area to move in when the criminal starts his action.  They wouldn't allow him to go there alone, without their participation.  Again, there is little suspense in this story, with every event being expected.  Not very interesting.

Sleepy Slade - 2-Page Gag
Another worthless attempt at comedic relief.  Just as silly as the earlier 1-Pager.  A sleeping clerk in a private security guard agency foils a robbery attempt while totally asleep!  Too ridiculous and not very funny, as it is totally expected.

The Judge and The Thief - Information Page
interesting true story from police records, about a young thief who stole to provide food and entertainment for himself and fellow poor friends.  A very common story of former skilled burglars using their skills to teach police how to catch criminals or use their breaking-in skills to design burgle-proof locks, safes, and coin-operated machines to foil burglars.

Overall Assessment
Not a very interesting read, as there's a lot less fun in just reading a bland account of what happens in crime cases, without being able to test one's skills of finding clues to mysteries, screening what is known or implied about characters who are potential purpetrators of the crime, putting them together, and predicting who committed the crime, how it was committed, and how it will be solved.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 08:20:28 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 08:38:31 AM »

Hi everyone

I just noted that some pages are missing from the third story in the Crackajack Funnies archive. On p. 22, there's a cover of Ellery swinging from a rope, but when you turn the page, the story seems to start in the middle. That's because the first three pages are missing. You can find that complete story in Crackajack Funnies #25. It's the first story after the one-page Dick Tracy strip. Here's the link:

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26171

Also, thanks for your comments Panther and Robb. I'll reply later in the week.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 02:17:58 AM »

Ellery Queen Compilation

The Adventure of the Coffin Clue

Well, this was a nice fairplay mystery.

One nit though. Marge says it's the dressing table that was moved, but when Ellery was explaining it he said it was a bureau and the drawings matched the descriptions. Whoops!

The Adventure of the Blood Red Stamp

Hmmm... page 14 (29) panel 3, the picture of Velie almost looks like David Wayne (who played Inspector Queen in the 1970s TV show). What an odd coincidence.

Okayyyyy... so they faked the robbery, glued one stamp to the back of the other, then went and murdered three people and stole their books to cover up their crime... couldn't they just break a window and claim the stamp was stolen?

Third story – stage performer killed

Okay story.

Fourth story – ski resort

That was an abrupt ending. I checked the original comic to see if there was a missing page, but no. that's how they ended it.

Fifth story – circus

This is the second car crash in this collection Ellery has survived.

The Kane circus was never as successful after the Flying Grayson's died.  ;)

Too few suspects to be much of a mystery.

Sixth story – train crash

Soooooo... a guy caused a train crash, while still on the train, and didn't expect to be hurt??? Should have solved the case by the size of his balls.

Seventh story – sabotage ring

I think the writer has mostly given up on the detective aspect of a detective story.

Eighth story – forcing down plane

Isn't this the third story where Ellery is taking his dad on a vacation?

Who didn't guess the criminal by his first line?

Now Ellery is surviving plane crashes.

Ninth story – Western picture

Risking the actual stars of a film with a real cattle stampede??? Stunt men should be doing that job.

Feels like someone had a western story they repurposed to be a 'detective' story.

Tenth story – scritpwriter killed

Maybe the writer should have suggested his murder plot for a movie script instead of actually using it?

Eleventh story – boating story

Again who didn't figure out the murderer and the method of murder on page one?

Twelfth story – Van Gogh painting

Soooooo... was the fingerprint powder spilled by accident or did the murderer use it to find his fingerprints and erase them? You'd think he'd have worn gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints.

Thirteenth story – hunting

Why did the letterer write the Ys like a straight line 4? It almost looked like Hs and I had trouble reading the word gypped.

Not much of a mystery.

The Adventure of the Twin Eye-Glasses

A title??? I thought the writers had forgotten how to create those. ;)

Not that difficult a mystery.

Fourteenth story – oil well

The crumpled cigarette packet clue really seems a stretch. Why not remove the cigarettes to put in a case after you buy them, disposing of the packet at the store, or do it at home? Why wait till you've just been in a shoot out and stolen a deed?

Fifteenth story – cab story

I wonder if the writers calculate the minimum amount of mystery they need for a detective story and don't add any more?

Sixteenth story – diamond theft

The last two pages wouldn't look out of place in a story with guys wearing capes. Interesting shift in the visual storytelling from the earlier pages.

Seventeenth story – Shurane mystery

So which of those two graveyards is supposed to be the shabby one and which is the well-kept one? It's like the artist didn't really try to differentiate the two.

Oldest cliché whodunnit in the book.

Eighteenth story – Crowl case

But what about the case Inspector Queen wanted Ellery to look at?

The actual 'mystery' felt more like snippets of mystery elements to give the illusion of a true mystery story.

Adventure of the Snowman Who Bled

That title reminds me of an early Dick Tracy story.

The stories started off okay, but kinda got worse as it went along.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 12:16:52 AM »

Ellery Queen Crackajack Funnies Compilation

(1) Adventure of The Coffin Clue
The story starts off with an almost unbelievable occurrence - with a truck aiming at the client's car, forcing it off a hillside road, driving through the wire fence, and tumbling downward at full spped crashing headfirst into large boulders, with the engine catching fire and the windshield front windows shattering, and neither passenger is hurt in the slightest!  They just walk away, several miles to the client's home.  Interesting that the county coroner lives in the small town where the murder was committed AND, on top of that, he lives as a boarder (room renter in the very house the murder was committed!!!  What are the odds against all this???  I wouldn't be surprised if HE, AND The police, who didn't bother to look in the accused's room (where they would have seen the bullet hole in the moved chair.  A private detective (whose FATHER is chief of detectives if a big city police department), asks the family who owns the house in which the murder victim was killed to help him dig out the grave of the victim, to look at the body!!!  Has there EVER been a murder case in which that was done by a private detective???  As soon as they dig out the coffin, the real murderer appears, firing
his gun at Ellery.  I'm not sure I like the tutorial feature of the writer using narrative boxes to keep the readers on track with noticing clues.  But i have never seen that method of telling a "Whodunit story"-so, to me it is unique, and so, interesting, at least from a comics history standpoint.  The writer uses a story event to "sneak in' in what he feels could be taken by the reader as a "natural way" (although in reality, it is forced).  The artist drew a chest of drawers instead of a bureau (office-type desk).  He didn't know what piece of furniture a bureau was.  The fact that the murderer knew that there was an identical wicker chair from the same set in the Bob Boyd's room, as in the victim's room, leads to the fact that the murdere had to have intimate knowledge of all the furniture in that house, either as a resident there or a frequent vistor who'd been in both rooms, or had spoken about the source of the furniture with the owner's family.  The murderer heard everything the others were saying, so why didn't the writer indicate whispering balloons for Ellery and Margie when he was telling her his plan.  Of course, it was the undertaker/coroner.  Interesting that a blackmailer would move into the same house as his victim (to be more convenient to collect regular payments)?  That seems VERY dangerous to him, given that someone in the house might overhear the 2 of them talking.  I like the idea that the murderer took a bullet from a rabbit Bob killed with his pistol to frame him.  A novel idea to come up with the weird happening that someone would think of killing rabbits with a pistol.  I think it's very funny for the detective to warn his client to never again tell a trusted family friend her plans to hire a detective to solve a murder!!!  This story was more of a "tongue-in-cheek" comedy than a challenging whodunit for would-be-amateur detective wannabes.

(2)  Adventure of The Blood Red Stamp
Hiding a stolen very valuable stamp inside a book with many pages is a good method of stealing it and hiding it, unless the thief hides it in a bookstore that has many copies of that book, and sells several of them before the thief can come back to retrieve it.  Convenient having the book shop where the thief hid the stolen stamp list the names and addresses of every purchaser of a book.  I wasn't around in the early 1940s, but I WAS around during the later half of that decade, and don't remember book shops listing the street address of every purchaser.  If you paid cash for a book and didn't have it delivered to your house, why would the store take down a customers' name and address?  Perhaps a rare antiquariat book store might for high-priced rare collectors' items.  But this shop had 3 copies of that book at the same time, and ALL were sold on the same day.  So I doubt that it was terribly rare.  Shop owners stealing valuable collectors' items they own to collect insurance money is already an interesting plot.  But wouldn't it be even more interesting, especially for comic book collectors with the collection mania syndrome, to want to keep the rarest of the rare for themselves rather than sell it just to earn their living.  So they fake it being stolen, collect the insurance money, and "eat their cake, and still have it, too!"  A true compulsive collector can appreciate such a story.

(3)  The Vera Oslo Case
A good set-up for a whodunit.  A woman wronged all her co-workers selling them worthless land.  Each has a motive to kill her.  Even her husband has a reason to kill her, as the money was all in her name, but he was the benefactor of the money IF she would die.  It was obvious to me when the author revealed that all the money from selling the worthless land was in Vera's name, and, of course, her husband would receive it if she would die.  It's a clever touch to have Sven, her husband catch her around her neck in their trapeze practising rather than by grabbing her hands, and hiding his crime by using a rope to simulate a hanging, by covering up his thumb marks on her neck.

(4)  The Ski Resort Murder
Taking a workaholic friend or family member to a snowbound resort for a rest is a good idea.  Of course the first crime wave in 50 years afflicts Inspector Queen, depriving him of his. badly-needed rest.  3 sets of different-sized boot tracks in the snow, leaving the murder cabin, and they ALL limped on their right side.   Maybe just one man wearing 3 different sized boots to make the potential ransom payers thing it's a gang rather than just one man?  That theory of mine turned out to be correct.  I like the key to solving the crime being related to the one obvious detail that the murderer forgot to include in his subterfuge setup.  He forgot to leave footprints in the snow with his OWN boots, near those he made with the boots of the other people.  An interesting story, highlighted by the mountain scenery and skiing action scenes, as I was an avid nordic skier and ski mountaineer for over 30 years. 

(5) Kane's Carnival Mystery
This is a story with too few characters, resulting in too few suspects (only 2).  It does have a not-so obvious twist at the end that we find out that the carnival co-owner, himself, sold the carnival, without telling his sister, and murdered the buyer, who had a lot of extra cash with him for the purchase and maybe sprucing up the operation.  This wouldn't have been totally unexpected by experienced mystery-solving readers, given that there are only 2 possible suspects, and it would be totally unfair to the reader, and terrible story-writing form or etiquette, to not have introduced a murderer early into the story and just toss him out of the blue into the story, just before its climax.  So, this story is, like several others in this series, is not very satisfying to the average "whodunit" reader.

(6)  The Hattan Limited Train Crash Mystery
Lots of interesting action scenes in this diamond heist - train wreck mystery.  Unfortunately, some of the best-looking scenes were coloured in a haphazard, seemingly completely illogical manner, making the outdoor seems seem very unnatural, and making it more difficult to understand what is happening with rainbow colouring parts of cliffs with vertical stripes of very bright, clashing colours.  It was unexpected that the train's flagman was the jewel thief and murderer, and not the disaster scavenger, and the professional jewel thief(who was interjected into the story, out of nowhere, seemingly just to add another suspect).

(6)  The Munitions Factory Mystery
I expected this story to be a spy story.  And, it turns out that this story is about sabotage and 5th columnists trying to undermine the loyalty of workers, and perhaps find some to become spies for the enemy(Germany), and/or commit sabotage.  So Ellery Queen was not only a private detective who wrote about his detective case adventures, but he also wrote scripts for detective/crime genre films.  He was one of us!   8)
This story has some nice drawing of action scenes of airplanes and mountain/forest backgrounds.  A German plane, full of enemy agents, attacks Ellery's plane, and a disabled man in Ellery's plane, seems to panic and jump out the plane's door.  I suspect he's an enemy agent only pretending to be crippled. unbelievably, both planes land safely.  Inspector Queen's men and Ellery capture the spy crew.  Ellery already knew who the spy leader was (as their passenger, who'd been pretending to be disabled, ran for the plane's door, when the plane was spiralling downward.  An inventive plot!  The FBI had the spy's every road and train watched, as well as every airplane's boarding carefully watched, and so, the only plane the spy could use safely, was the plane containing the US agent sent to capture him.  it's quite far-fetched, and could never really happen.  But it's an inventive idea.

(7)  The Western Film Mystery
I think it's interesting that the film director and producer allowed the film's actual stars to be endangered by being caught in a cattle stampede, rather than using stuntmen and women in key shots and using filming tricks such as superimposing, as was common during the late 1930s and 1940s.  As SuperScrounge mentioned above, I wonder if the adapter started with a non-Ellery Queen Western genre story, and adapted it, morphing it into a detective/crime story?  The story isn't so clear to me.  The cowboys who were playing the parts of cattle rustlers in the film, turned out to be real cattle rustlers, stealing the cattle used in the film, and the leading actress in the film ended up dying in the stampede, making all the rustlers guilty of manslaughter! 

(8}  The Crime/Detective Writer Murder
Interesting lead-in, as Ellery joins a staff of film script writers, where one writer just happens to murder another.  An unusual method used by the murderer, having weights on pulley ropes pull him up and down to avoid leaving footprints, but more importantly, to quickly reach the victim 4 floors up, and get back down into the writers' meeting room quickly.  This was a relatively boring story that never even revealed the method of the murder, and the motive of "perhaps" not being fired because he could "possibly" take over the victim's job on the writing staff, is far too ridiculous for a writer to risk being burnt up in The Electric Chair, on a remote possibility.

(9)  The Boat Racing Mystery
Already, a detail that shows the writer has little to no knowledge about the chosen subject and setting of his story, and didn't bother to do any research.  Anyone who's ever watched an organised boat race in an ocean harbour area, lake or river boat docking area knows that someone couldn't possibly wait until a couple minutes before the race starts to sign up for it, because the starting point of the registered boats and start-off tracking areas is assigned long before, and the boats have to already be positioned there.  A man crippled by a boat crash the year before, wants vengeance against the racer who crashed into his boat is killed when his boat capsizes.  But, Ellery states that the man was dead before the boat turned over.  I suspect that the vengeful Race administrator handed the victim a blunt pencil tipped with poison, guessing that he'd lick the tip, to make it write better.  Somehow I don't understand how licking a blunt pencil would make it start writing better. 

(10)  The Van Gogh Painting Murder Mystery
A VERY short story in which there are only a couple suspects, who are eliminated almost straight-away, with details given that are very obvious.  The man hired to guard the valuable painting kills the owner, to steal the painting late on the night before he is to start guarding it,  No one else but the victim's sister and the expert who examined it, and pronounced it authentic, knew it was a real masterpiece.  Most of these later stories could be told in 3 pages with illustrations, like real police case information pages.  No fun for amateur would-be detectives to try to exercise their detective skills,
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 07:00:32 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 01:37:50 AM »

I was lucky enough to see the Jim Hutton/Ellery Queen series when it ran in the 70’s. It deserved a bigger audience than it got. Sort of like Wayne Rodger’s CITY OF ANGELS that only lasted a season. Maybe both were too good for TV at the time. I think an entity like Netflicks would have worked for both.
Tim Hutton WAS good in LEVERAGE and NERO WOLFE, but i think he’d make a good Ellery Queen himself now.

The first issue of Ziff-Davis’ ELLERY QUEEN magazine can get you about $200 American these days, and they always made more money with their pulps then the did with their comics. If you can, read THE PLAYER ON THE OTHER SIDE, ghost written by Ziff Davis published science fiction writer Theodore Sturgeon.

The comics are okay, not great, but I don’t think they could be much better given the unique set up of how Ellery Queen is formatted to run. You could have really used multi issues for the stories, something nobody was doing at the time. Placement of clues is also problematic, unless you are like Wally Wood and can put 9 million things in one frame and practically beg the reader to guess what’s important.
You are always going to wind up with guys standing around and staring at each other with lots of word balloons. Like that bind you have in movies when you try and show how somebody is thinking. More times then not, you wind up with a close up of their eyes while an off screen voice fills you in.

I liked the art and when there was action it was handled well. And yes, the colour is 80’s neon.

It sort of warms my heart that I still run into ELLERY QUEEN magazine at the news stands now and again. Right up there with ALFRED HITCHCOCK MYSTERY MAGAZINE still grinding away. Long may they both run in the digital age.

Nice selections, Q.Q. Another great deep dive into what the site holds.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 03:17:26 AM »

Re the 'CrackerJack Funnies' material, all the Ellery Queen stories have on the splash Page,
COPR. 1940 by R.S. Callender
This is what GCD has to say about this gentleman.
When Western Printing produced comic book content that was not a licensed property, it was copyrighted in the name of Robert S. Callender (or, sometimes, Oskar Lebeck, e.g. Animal Comics, a Lebeck project). Callender was not the writer. He was Western Printing's copyright holder.

Robert S. (Bob) Callender, b. 1913, youngest child of Gene Callender of Racine, Wisconsin society, was an executive at Western Printing. On Oct. 9, 1937 Mr. Callender married Wynnefred Wadewitz, b. 1916, daughter of Edward H. Wadewitz.

Robert S. Callender's father-in-law, Edward H. Wadewitz, had risen by initiative to be the secretary, treasurer and general manager of the Western Printing & Lithographing Company: he was a moving spirit in the development, enlargement and control of that undertaking.

Robert S. Callender (Mr. Wadewitz's son-in-law) was the Managing Editor and Business Manager for Whitman Publishing Co., Poughkeepsie, N.Y., owned by Western Printing and Lithographing Company of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.   

Now surely, Ellery Queen stories were copyright?
Put that together with the apparent fact that,
"I [JVJ]  was told by Herb Rogoff that the Ellery Queen content was provided intact to Ziff-Davis by the Queen estate" 

and I have to wonder if there is a connection and a story to be told.

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 06:23:13 AM »

The artist drew a chest of drawers instead of a bureau (office-type desk).  He didn't know what piece of furniture a bureau was.

In the USA a "bureau" is indeed "a chest of drawers, often with a mirror at the top." This is the meaning we used when I was growing up. According to dictionary.com bureau as "a desk or writing table with drawers for papers" is chiefly British usage.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2024, 09:24:01 AM »

The artist drew a chest of drawers instead of a bureau (office-type desk).  He didn't know what piece of furniture a bureau was.

In the USA a "bureau" is indeed "a chest of drawers, often with a mirror at the top." This is the meaning we used when I was growing up. According to dictionary.com bureau as "a desk or writing table with drawers for papers" is chiefly British usage.

Or Canadian in the 1940s and '50s.  Probably Australian and South African, too.  Thanks for informing us.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2024, 03:14:30 PM »

Death Parade was a really well-drawn story with a decent twist. I agree no clues were really planted for us but I still enjoyed the story.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 12:43:30 PM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2024, 05:47:56 AM »

Yeah, that was a great show. Shame it didn't last longer.

Almost completely unrelated... the late Jim Hutton's son Tim Hutton was on the show Leverage and in one episode the team was at a costume party where everyone was dressed as different detectives, and Tim's character was dressed to look like the Jim Hutton version of Ellery Queen. A nice tribute to his dad.  :)

Yes, I really liked that show. I wonder why they only did one season? I haven't seen Leverage. I don't think it was shown here, but thanks for the info. I always love a bit of movie or TV trivia. My best category in Trivial Pursuit is Entertainment  :D
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2024, 06:09:05 AM »

Hi everyone

Australian Panther and Morgus both mentioned 'Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine', which started in 1941 and is still going. It's one of the most highly-regarded mystery/crime magazines. Here's a link to their site:

https://www.elleryqueenmysterymagazine.com/

Morgus also mentioned 'Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine', which started in 1956 and is also still going. Here's the link to that:

https://www.alfredhitchcockmysterymagazine.com/

Interestingly, both magazines were bought by Dell Publishing. Apparently, Dell published three Ellery Queen comics in 1962, but we don't seem to have them on CB+. It would be interesting to compare.

Cheers

QQ

ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2024, 06:21:45 AM »

Panther said:

Re the TV show, I didn't know it existed, would have been in the period when regular TV watching was not a part of my life. I am tho, a fan of Tim Hutton's Nero Wolfe series. I have most of them on DVD - probably some I haven't watched there. Have to dig those out again!
Here is the Pilot of Jim Huttons Ellery Queen.
Ellery Queen - Pilot - "Too Many Suspects"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgpz2tW-REU
As was the custom, it's a 1 hour 38 minute movie with lots of 'Guest Stars'
[Ray Milland, John Hillerman, John Larch, Monte Markham]
This is worth watching for the opening sequence demonstrating the recording of a radio drama in 1947. A an absolute gem of a sequence.

Thanks for digging up that link, Panther. I remember the Ellery Queen TV show and could never understand why it was cancelled. There was a real interaction between Ellery and the audience in working out the clues. I loved it.

The Death Parade What does the title have to do with the story?

It's a bit obscure, but maybe it's just meant to refer to the fact that there were a series of murders. I agree it's not the best title.

Reading it now and as I do, I'm wondering why the candidate was in the back seat. A dead giveaway.
The four panel page layouts are interesting. Concentrates the narrative without many details.
So there is not really any mystery, no suspense and too many coincidences are needed  to Jam the mystery into 12 pages. Yes, the art is technically very good but the whole thing is very disappointing.

I think most of us agree it wasn't much of a mystery. Twelve pages aren't a lot of space, but I've seen stories that have fewer pages than that do a better job of placing the clues. It reads more like a crime story rather than a mystery.

A Killer's revenge
The Splash panel has one of the things that I keep threatening myself to start a thread about.
That is, the apparent inability of so many artists to draw a hand holding a gun and firing it, that would actually hit something.
In this image, the gun is falling out of his hand and he's aiming into the ground. And no, he doesn't appear to be injured while he is firing. The 'Posse' coming over the hill don't even appear to have started firing yet.   

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. At first, I thought he was falling down, but Ellery's tied to a tree, so he hasn't done anything to the crook.

Re the 'CrackerJack Funnies' material, all the Ellery Queen stories have on the splash Page,
COPR. 1940 by R.S. Callender
This is what GCD has to say about this gentleman.
When Western Printing produced comic book content that was not a licensed property, it was copyrighted in the name of Robert S. Callender (or, sometimes, Oskar Lebeck, e.g. Animal Comics, a Lebeck project). Callender was not the writer. He was Western Printing's copyright holder.

Robert S. (Bob) Callender, b. 1913, youngest child of Gene Callender of Racine, Wisconsin society, was an executive at Western Printing. On Oct. 9, 1937 Mr. Callender married Wynnefred Wadewitz, b. 1916, daughter of Edward H. Wadewitz.

Robert S. Callender's father-in-law, Edward H. Wadewitz, had risen by initiative to be the secretary, treasurer and general manager of the Western Printing & Lithographing Company: he was a moving spirit in the development, enlargement and control of that undertaking.

Robert S. Callender (Mr. Wadewitz's son-in-law) was the Managing Editor and Business Manager for Whitman Publishing Co., Poughkeepsie, N.Y., owned by Western Printing and Lithographing Company of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.   

Now surely, Ellery Queen stories were copyright?
Put that together with the apparent fact that,
"I [JVJ]  was told by Herb Rogoff that the Ellery Queen content was provided intact to Ziff-Davis by the Queen estate"

Sounds like you've uncovered a better mystery there, Panther. Thanks for your comments and extra bits of info.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2024, 06:38:32 AM »

Robb said:

Front Cover
This cover painting, with Ellery bursting into the room, while the villain has raised a red-hot fireplace poker, about to sear the neck of his beautiful victim is bright with colour and full of action and movement.  As was fairly common in the detective/crime genre of comic books at the beginning of the 1950s, the scene didn't actually occur as depicted in the story it represented inside the book.  It's interesting to me that Ziff-Davis, a major US magazine publisher at that time, used their magazine painters to paint illustrations for their comic books, while other prolific magazine and pulp novel publishers, who also started comic book divisions later(like Dell, Ace, Avon, Fawcett, Farrell, Sangor, Pines, Hillman, Arnold, Sangor, did NOT, and Street and Smith, and United Features, only used them on a few books.

Thanks for the extra info, Robb. I really like the cover art. It puts me in mind of the sort of lifestyle magazine illustrations that were popular in the 1950s and 1960s, only they'd be advertising some product or illustrating a 'nice' fictional story rather than having a girl about to be maimed with a red-hot poker.

The Death Parade
The title of this story makes the readers think they will witness a lot of murders and their attendant blood and gore.  But, in this comic book version, we see only the results of 2 murders, and mention of 3 more occurring, but not only don't see them being committed, but don't even see their dead bodies.  So, the "advertising" sensationalist description of "The Parade of Death" on the cover, and "Never has a succession of
corpses come more fast and furious" in the story's introduction narrative, are misleading and disappointing to the blood and gore fetishist and action-based art fan.

I guess this is the comic book equivalent of click-bait. You buy the comic for the promise of the 'Wholesale Homicide' and action depicted on the cover, but the actual stories are more pedestrian.

I didn't understand the exact relationship of Ellery's father (Inspector Queen) to the city police force in this story.  I assume that he is a detective (perhaps the head of the detective department of that city's police force).  But Ellery, a private detective, calls his father to join him in unofficial activities that should be handled by the police, WITHOUT him!  Such situations wouldn't occur in real life.

Yes, it's not really made clear in the comic. My recollection is that Richard Queen is just an inspector with the police and that he brings in Ellery to help solve the case. Doesn't happen in real life so much, though I'm sure the police would bring in consultants at times. However, without the amateur detective (or private eye) butting in, the police wouldn't solve half the fictional cases they're given  :D

Smythe of Scotlandyard - 1-Page Gag
A weird "comedic" gag that is a Vaudeville 2-man stand-up early 1900s routine.  I suppose this was thrown in as light relief from the "heaviness" of the general subject matter of this book.  But I think it is very much out of place.

Yes, probably just meant to be some light entertainment, but it's pretty corny and seems out of place given the readership they seem to be aiming at with the cover.

Overall Assessment
Not a very interesting read, as there's a lot less fun in just reading a bland account of what happens in crime cases, without being able to test one's skills of finding clues to mysteries, screening what is known or implied about characters who are potential perpetrators of the crime, putting them together, and predicting who committed the crime, how it was committed, and how it will be solved.

Yes, I think we're all agreed that there is not much in the way of clue-finding. The Crackajack collection is better at that. Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2024, 07:25:17 AM »

SuperScrounge said:

Ellery Queen Compilation

[Then SuperScrounge reviewed all the stories]

Wow, SuperScrounge, you get a gold star for going above and beyond the call of duty in reviewing all of the stories. Re the stamp one, I too wondered why they didn't come up with a better way to steal the stamp. I was a stamp collector back in my teenage years when I had a lot of penpals, and I would have thought they'd risk damaging both stamps by sticking them together.

I'll make comments about some of the other stories when I wrap up. Have been a bit behind this week.

Re the declining quality, I haven't checked if they had different writers. It's hard to come up with really good mysteries on a consistent basis, especially with a deadline looming. I wonder if they got sourced out to whoever was available, and not all of them were so good at distinguishing between straight crime stories and mysteries?

Cheers

QQ

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2024, 03:59:01 PM »

SuperScrounge said:

Ellery Queen Compilation

[Then SuperScrounge reviewed all the stories]

Wow, SuperScrounge, you get a gold star for going above and beyond the call of duty in reviewing all of the stories. Re the stamp one, I too wondered why they didn't come up with a better way to steal the stamp. I was a stamp collector back in my teenage years when I had a lot of penpals, and I would have thought they'd risk damaging both stamps by sticking them together.

I'll make comments about some of the other stories when I wrap up. Have been a bit behind this week.

Re the declining quality, I haven't checked if they had different writers. It's hard to come up with really good mysteries on a consistent basis, especially with a deadline looming. I wonder if they got sourced out to whoever was available, and not all of them were so good at distinguishing between straight crime stories and mysteries?
Cheers
QQ

Weren't all the stories used in Crackajack Comics just comic book adaptions of original stories written by Dannay and Lee?  I imagine Western's adaptation scriptors were given Pulp versions of those stories as guides to adapt.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2024, 04:46:08 AM »

Weren't all the stories used in Crackajack Comics just comic book adaptions of original stories written by Dannay and Lee?  I imagine Western's adaptation scriptors were given Pulp versions of those stories as guides to adapt.

That's an interesting point, Robb. If that's the case, then maybe it's the adaptation of the stories that's sometimes an issue. I wonder too whether the writers just turned in their stories and then the artists did their work, or if there was more of a collaboration. For these kinds of mystery comic book stories, the clues can be in the pictures as well as the words, but that interaction could have been better in some of them.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.