in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE  (Read 73 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
« on: April 17, 2024, 11:35:18 PM »

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE:  (Pilot)
“TWO ATOM BOMBS!”  (8 of 10)

Daniel Briggs, leader of a mysterious covert government group known as the "IMF" (Impossible Missions Force) is assigned to go to the Central American country of Santa Costa, break into an impregnable vault in a lavish hotel, disarm and REMOVE a pair of atomic bombs to prevent their threat of use by the military dictator, "General Rio Dominguez", and get out alive with the bombs.

This is certainly as different as you could get from the movie WRONG IS RIGHT (1982).

Bruce Geller had a dream: get into feature films by producing a TV pilot that was SO complex, SO tight, SO involved, it would act as his resume to become a film producer. And there was no way this thing could ever get on TV. But the plan backfired when the seeming-impossible happened: the pilot SOLD! Suddenly-- he had to do it EVERY WEEK. I suppose we can "thank" Lucille Ball for this, as that year she used every bit of her power and influence in the business to virtually strong-arm network executives into buying not one but TWO of the shows created by her small, family-owned studio, DESILU. The other show was STAR TREK. Does it blow anyone else's mind that both these series debuted on TV the SAME week?

Very much following in the footsteps of such earlier productions as RIFIFI (1955), 21 BEACON STREET (1959-- there was actually a lawsuit involved!), THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN (1960) and especially TOPKAPI (1964-- check out not only the similar format but the similar characters), the series showcased incredibly-complicated plots, storytelling and editing-- usually at the expense of characterization, as Geller wanted his team members to be ciphers, as most of the time they would be undercover portraying fictional people.

Steven Hill is "Daniel Briggs", who each week gets his assignments in odd places via recordings that "self-destruct" after use (in the pilot, it's a record LP that "decomposes" one minute after the air seal is broken). In his long career, he appeared in many things, but no doubt will always be remembered for his 28 episodes of M:I and his 230 episodes of LAW AND ORDER.

Barbara Bain is "Cinnamon Carter", who admits her job mostly uses her "natural talents". I honestly don't remember her being as sexy as she was in this, so I'm really looking forward to the rest of her 78 episodes here. I've also seen her as David Jansen's girlfriend in 5 episodes of RICHARD DIAMOND, appearances in both the Darren McGavin AND Stacy Keach versions of MIKE HAMMER, an early GET SMART (done shortly before this), as well as her unfortunate 2 seasons on SPACE: 1999 and the final GILLIGAN'S ISLAND movie in 1981.

Greg Morris is "Barney Collier", the tech wizard who's usually working in the shadows and rarely has much dialogue. Ironically, he's the only actor on the series who appeared in all 9 seasons (including guest-appearances in the late-80s revival, for a total of 174 episodes). He also was a regular for 57 episodes of VEGA$. Crazy enough, his son Phil, a regular playing his son in the revival, made his acting debut in a 1st-season STAR TREK not many weeks after this.

Peter Lupus is "Willy Armitage", a strongman who gets to lift 2 suitcases, which will contain not only the nuclear weapons, but also a man, without anyone watching being the wiser. He lasted 161 episodes, and also made 4 appearances as "Norberg" on the short-lived POLICE SQUAD! with Leslie Nielsen.

Martin Landau is "Rollin Hand", a combination stage magician and master of disguise. He gets to play an old man in a wheelchair, and impersonate General Dominguez (who, coincidentally, is also played by Landau). He also flirts quite a bit with Cinnamon in this, which she brushes off while trying to focus on the mission. Landau was originally scheduled for only a certain number of episodes in the 1st season, to allow him to appear in other projects and on stage, and so was listed as "special guest star". But, by season 2, he became a regular like the other 4 team members. Landau almost certainly has the most prestigious list of acting credits, having appeared in such things as NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959), CLEOPATRA (1963), 2 episodes each of THE UNTOUCHABLES and THE OUTER LIMITS, THEY CALL ME MISTER TIBBS! (1970), THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1979), CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS (1989), ED WOOD (1994), SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999), the hilarious READY TO RUMBLE (2000), as well as all 48 episodes of SPACE: 1999 and 76 episodes of M:I.

Wally Cox is "Terry Targo", a professional safe-cracker who has to figure out how to break OUT of an impregnable vault. Things get really tricky when his fingers are broken during the capture of "el presidente", and Dan has to do his job for him. Mostly known for comedy, Cox appeared in 104 episodes of MISTER PEEPERS, 26 episodes of THE ADVENTURES OF HIRAM HOLLIDAY, 119 episodes of UNDERDOG, as well as THE NIGHT STRANGLER (1972) and a LOST IN SPACE.

Preumably, director Bernard L. Kowalksi's work on this set the whole style and tone for the series. He'd previously done 25 episodes of THE REBEL and later did 10 of BARETTA, 5 of MAGNUM, P. I., 4 of COLUMBO and 4 of BANACEK. It's that last one that grabs my attention, as that show's "heists" were carried out in similarly-complex, mind-blowing fashion to the ones here.

I understand M:I burned out more writers in Holywood than any other series on TV, because of its excess complexity. I came in on the 2nd season, and was instantly hooked. But, strangely enough, until today, I had NEVER seen a single episode of the 1st season. But now I have the 2020 Blu-Ray set. Suffice to say, I've got a lot of "work" in front of me!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 11:42:56 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 07:04:54 PM »

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE:  Memory
The Deadly Discrediting Affair   (6 of 10)

To take down a dangerous Eastern-European official-- without actually assassinating him-- a man with uncanny perfect memory recall impersonates a suspected double-agent, allows himself to be captured, then interrogated, so the information forced from him will IMPLICATE said official. Just explaining that is more complicated than it should be!

Albert Paulsen (THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE) is "Joseph Baresh", whose ability to remember anything serves him well while impersonating a dead spy that the bad guys don't realize has been dead for 6 months already. It also helps when he happens to glance over a complete list of the main baddie's spy network. What I can't believe is that IMF team leader Dan Briggs actually intended to leave Baresh behind in prison, something suggested at the start of the last act, but which I did not get at all when the mission was laid out. What the HELL kind of "good guy" is Briggs, anyway?

Leonard Stone is "Dimitri Soska", head of security at the prison, who takes far too much pleasure torturing people for information. I've seen Stone in many things over the years, but what always blows my mind the most was his 2 episodes of LOST IN SPACE, where he played galactic showman "Farnum B.", arguably the most exagerrated, ridiculous, over-the-top character in the entire run of that show. Watching him in anything else, it's hard to believe it's the same person. He really was some kind of actor!

Gene Dynarski is the "Sgt. Of Guard" at the prison. I've seen him in numerous things, including 2 episodes each of BATMAN, THE MONKEES, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and STAR TREK. When it comes to big, tough, moustached bad guys, he was to 60s TV what Harry Cording was to 30s movies.

Martin Landau, as "Rollin Hand", is listed in the opening credits, so I began to wonder, WHERE the heck is he, when he didn't turn up until 30 minutes into the story! And then he winds up having only a 3-minute cameo. That's what I call "playing around" with the format. Similarly, this is apparently the ONLY episode out of all 171 where the mission isn't delivered to the team leader by some kind of recorded message.

Although Dan specifically mentions "no killing" at the beginning, by the time it's all over, their target, "Janos Kirk" (William Keene) is put before a firing squad by the baddies, and later, Barney & Willy casually machine-gun a couple of guards during the prison break. I guess it all depends on WHO's being shot, when and by whom.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 07:20:11 PM »

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE:  Operation Rogosh
Trial of a Mass Murderer   (8 of 10)

Imre Rogosh-- known as "The Monster"-- has been responsible for thousands of deaths in various contries. Now he's in Los Angeles, and it's Dan's job to find out what he's up to and PREVENT it from happenning, before it's too late. Dan engineers a traffic accident, and when Rogosh wakes up, he's made to think he's in a castle prison back home-- it's 3 YEARS later-- and he has amnesia and can't remember anything since the accident! I normally hate "amnesia" stories, but not this one (heh)!

Cinnamon gets to really do some acting in this one, making this the first episode with evidence of why Barbara Bain won an Emmy for Best Actress in a Dramatic Series. Barney gets to do a lot of talking over a sound system, imitating a news announcer-- before Willy gets to beat him up for real while Barney's posing as a student activist. Rollin plays a prosecutor (and we once again get to see what a laid-back, likable guy he is when out of range of the baddies), while Dan poses as a completely-ineffective defense counsel.

TWO plot twists complicate things. The first is when Rogosh's accomplices find out where he's being held-- and decide to KILL him to prevent him from talking. The second is when, near the end, Rogosh figures out what's really going on-- arrogantly brags they haven't gotten all the info out of him they want-- and then pegs Dan as the leader-- just before Dan DECKS him. And then they have to pull ONE more con to get him to talk before it's too late-- for HIM!

Fritz Weaver (CREEPSHOW) is "Imre Rogosh", a dangerously intelligent and clearly insane fanatic. Charles Maxwell (who played "Virgil Earp" on STAR TREK) is "Lazloff", who gets the job to assassinate his own boss. James Lanphier (THE PINK PANTHER) is "Klimi", who gives the order to kill his own boss.

An awful lot more people than usual were employed by Dan Briggs to pull this con game off. I'm sure most of them had NO idea what was really going on around them. When it was all over, all I could think to say was... "HOLY S***!" Boy, was this a good one.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.