in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Music

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Music  (Read 17229 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Music
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »

Hey, my overpriced CD from Italy arrived today. In perfect shape-- a miracle,
the guy wrapped it in a thin plastic store bag with some tape, and only put some bubble-wrap on one side. Amazing the jewel case wasn't cracked. Cheapest mail-order packaging I've ever seen anybody do.

The Brotherhood Of Man was a "studio group" put together by a producer, and presumably its members were all unknown and anonymous to the public back in 1969-71 when this stuff was done. Someone online made the sarcastic (and somewhat funny) comment that "Nobody between the ages of 12 and 30 would be taken in by this". At the time, I was 13, my Dad was 53. HE bought the 45, not me!

I'm guessing at one of his weekend playing jobs, someone asked him about the
song, "California Sunday Morning", the next day he went out and bought the record, played it, learned it, and the next weekend, was able to play it on the job. He did that sometimes! It's just funny, considering he was so "out of it"
when it came to "popular" music, and as it turns out, this song was never on an
album, and the single NEVER charted in any country! Wow. Great song, though.
You'd never know it was by a group from England.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »

Is this the same Brotherhod of Man who won the Eurovision Song Cotest with Save All Your Kisses For Me' mid 70's?
Surely not.
If you want British stuff with a bit of a kick to it, might I suggest:- The Small Faces; The Pirates; Dr. Feelgood; The Pretty Things.
You will find early Feelgoods here:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jmIYyskDM8
How cool is that? How good is Wilko? Tight as a duck's a*e.         
And here are The Small Faces (with P.P.Arnold) :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKZoFRpZCI&feature=related   
How about some really early Pretty Things?:-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olHSpJlBpOI
Still going -catch them now, they can't keep this up.     
The Pirates, with Mick Green, arguably the best axe man this country produced (Peter Green, no relation, excluded)     
Sadly no longer with us.         
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:23:03 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 05:40:37 PM »

The Brotherhood Of Man-- SAME producer, entirely different line-up of singers. The singing group was the creation of Tony Hiller (much as The Archies was by Don Kirchner & Jeff Barry). Over some years, every one of the original singers was replaced, so the line-up that had the Eurovision hit (which I've not actually ever heard) was different. Strange but true!

This confused me when I first started reading up about them online, but eventually I realized the "two" groups were connected.

One of the songs on that 45 I have listed "Musical Director: Keith Mansfield". Mansfield was also one of the "KPM" composers, who did a lot of "production music" (like the stuff used on seasons 2-3 of the 60's SPIDER-MAN cartoons). Amazing how much good stuff there is out there is is almost anonymous...

B.O.M.'s big hit early-on was "United We Stand".  Very late-60's peace-love-understanding-brotherhood sort of thing... the likes of which I personally wish had not so completely fallen out of favor. I grew up really believing (like Gene Roddenberry, I suppose) that mankind might be on the verge of becoming better than they were... but in the wake of Viet Nam and Watergate, cynicism, self-interest and monstrous, unbridled GREED have become the bywords for too much of the planet.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:44:20 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »

The only BoM I've heard is the Eurovision song, I think and I was completely unaware of anything preceeding that.  Have to admit that I find that track truly awful.  Like you, I'm sort of sorry that the peace, love, understanding thingy went away but I suppose we were never going to change anything.  Too many vested interests, too much greed and hunger for power out there.  That's why I so enjoy the music that I posted those links to.  Good time music with enthusiasm, skill, power (the good kind) and just a touch of danger and threat to the establishment that you can jump about to.  There was a review of a Johnny Winter album years ago and the heading read simply, "Johnny Winter - Dirty Music".  Sums it all up. A wee bit of excitement is good for you.
Sorry, seem to have gone of BoM subject rather a lot.
Found this on youtube:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bKAPVpA46o
You might want to take a look.  And having looked at the playlist, I realise I have heard a couple of their other things.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 04:31:52 AM »

Paw, thanks for bringing back some great musical memories- loved the Small Faces video. I still have my copy of "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake"! Happiness Stan forever, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »

Bowers, restores my faith reading that. My pal's favourite from Ogden's is, "Song of a Baker".  What a great album. The whole thing is just so redolent of the period. Do you have the original vinyl in the tin box?  I'm afraid I've now only got the c.d.version.  I always enjoyed the Stanley Unwin nonsense talk and saw him in an old b&w film a few months ago - buggered if I can remember what it was, though.  Thinking cap on!
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:22:18 PM »

Yes, Paw, it's the (worn out) vinyl. A friend sent me a copy of an old black and white video showing an older gent with a strange hat telling the story to a bunch of kids- could this be the Stanley Unwin you referred to? Cheers, Bowers 
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 02:30:04 AM »

I've got so many different things in my collection, I sometimes have to make a point to dig out stuff I haven't played in awhile so I don't end up playing the same things too often.

The last few days, for example, I've been playing my CHER cd's.  Some years back I got ahold of her early stuff from the 60's (with and without Sonny).  Her solo albums are in "fake" stereo, but the S&C albums are in mono, which sounds much clearer. Sonny's style of production back then has often been compared to Phil Spector's, from who he took a lot of notes.

But 2 of my fave albums come later-- 3614 JACKSON HIGHWAY, recorded at the same studio often frequented by Aretha Franklin & Booker T & The MG's (and using the same session men!), and GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES, which really kicked off her "2nd" successful period, and was magnificently produced by Snuff Garrett.  Hard to believe this was the guy who was supposed to produce The Monkees, but walked after only one day!

"3614" is mostly covers of other people's songs (which she did a ton of back in the 60's), but they include some of the best she ever did.  Among them, "For What It's Worth", "Tonight I'll be Stayin' Here With You", "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man", and my favorite, Dr. John's downright spooky "I Walk On Gilded Splinters".

After this, I've got all her later stuff, but mostly on LPs-- I haven't replaced them with CDs until 1979-up, beginning with her 2 "disco" albums, TAKE ME HOME and PRISONER.  Fun stuff-- a shame the CD doesn't have the original LP covers, which were probably the SEXIEST albums covers she ever had!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:32:15 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 02:41:22 AM »

I had a copy of Gypsies, Tand T on cassette back in the day.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »

Somehow, that was the very 1st song of hers I ever heard. It was on the radio at the end of summer '71. I got the 45 about the same time as I started watching THE SONNY & CHER COMEDY HOUR. I still remember thinking I'd never seen a girl like her before!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

"I still remember thinking I'd never seen a girl like her before!" profh0011
Oh Yes, Indeed.
Mind you, I have nothing by Cher in my collection.  Is this a case of preferring looking to listening?

Been listening to Robert Earl Keen because I re-found a couple of his albums while raking through a cupboard.  As I also found vinyl of Townes Van Zandt, that's next.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »

Revisiting my Pirates c.d's.  The power trio who backed Johhny Kidd, before he died, obviously. Loud, fast, and what a player Mick Green is. 
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »

We have a documentary series called Coast over here and the last episode had an interview with Wilco from Dr. Feelgood about Canvey Island, where the band came from.  And they showed some old footage of the band giving it big licks.  Excellent.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 02:49:29 AM »

Big Daddy--
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED TO THE BAND OF '59?  (1983)
MEANWHILE... BACK IN THE STATES  (1985)
CUTTING THEIR OWN GROOVE  (1991)
SGT. PEPPER'S  (1992)

I've had the last 2 since 1992, but until this weekend, I never even knew the first 2 existed!  Downloaded both LPs from a blog, spent an hour or so recutting & remastering them, then dumped them onto a CD as a twofer.  WOW!!

Also got THE BEST OF BIG DADDY (2000) just because it had 3 rare or unreleased songs, including a version of "Sukiyaki" which is just sooooooo cool!
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »

I have two or three Big Daddy Cds too.  Those later titles that you mentioned sound familiar so I imagine that they may be among them.  Haven't listened to any of them in some time but always loved the way that they would blend the lyrics of a song from one era with the tune of a song from from another era.  Really creative.

Thanks for mentioning them as now I wanna dig out those old CDs and give 'em another listen.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 05:25:53 PM »

Let me know if you'd like the 2 LPs, I downloaded, cleaned up & ran off a twofer CD.  Good stuff, starting with "I Write The Songs" in the style of Danny & The Juniors.  (I actually SAW those guys in person once, while I was in art school-- a teacher took the class to the Channel 3 studios to see a daytime talk show whicxh had artist Leroy Neiman as the guest. He bored me, but when this band came on at the end, I was the only one in my class who thought they were cool.)

I'm reminded of one day at work when I played SGT. PEPPER'S, and my boss heard it and said, "That's the WORST thing I've ever heard!"
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »

Dug out my double c.d. of Chris Farlowe and I've been playing it non stop and despite thinking it couldn't get better, I then found this on youtube:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUcTKjOQWII
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »

Great clip, Paw.  Thanks for the link.  Takes me back to when I was little kid watching such performances on shows like Shindig and Hullabaloo over here in the states.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »

Great link, Paw. Although an avid blues fan in the late 60's (and still am!), I don't remember hearing much of Chris Farlowe. Undeservedly, he wasn't very big over here. It was nice to follow the links and be reintroduced to the work of a very fine bluesman. So nice that I spent all day Sunday following You Tube links and looking up some of my very favorite blues and R&B artists from roughly the same time period. Lots of talent- P.J. Proby, Frankie Miller, Love Sculpture (check out their version of "Summertime"), Allen Toussaint, Mitch Ryder, too many more to mention! Cheers, Bowers   
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 06:31:16 PM »

"blues and R&B artists from roughly the same time period"

I've got THE MAGNIFICENT MOODIES on right now.  This is the nice mono CD that collects all 25 songs with Denny Laine from 1964-66. "Rough", but in some places, beautiful.  I especially like "Steal Your Heart Away", "It's Easy Child", "From The Bottom Of My Heart", "Something You Got", "I've Got A Dream", "It Ain't Necessarily So", "Everyday", and "Boulevard De La Madelaine".

I got this in the early 90's, and it was a shock hearing how good it sounded, compared to the awful, horrible "re-channeled stereo" on the earlier GO NOW lp.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »

Yeah, Laine was great on that album. Wonder which direction the Moodies would have gone had he stayed? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »

Gosh, this all takes me back.  Moody Blues changed so much and that is an interesting thought, Bowers.  Joe, I've heard of Shindig and Hullaballoo and I may have seen bits from them on our t.v.  I think we probably got the idea for "pop" shows from the States.  We had Ready, Steady, Go; Oh Boy; Six Five Special and some more whose titles escape me.  Here's a sample of RSG - does miming get much worse than this?(see Dusty) :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APKVwEPw8IQ

Found one of the other shows - Thank Your Lucky Stars:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49NRR4yDZh4

Recently, I've been searching for some 60's bands that I used to follow a bit but had forgotten.  So I was chuffed to find this:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-kCIp1gRk

Bowers, I was also a blues fan and still am. Also old R'n'B when it was real and exciting.  I saw Muddy Waters in Glasgow at the Maryland Blues Club, just superb.   I played there once when I was in a 4 pce. and we had delusions of grandeur.  We supported NSU a hard, blues, rock trio from Coatbridge who had at least one album released.
One of the earliest British R'n'B harp players was Cyril Davies.  Quality of the clip is poor but this guy was good:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynodK3u0O8&feature=related
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »

Wow! Great stuff, Paw. I've never heard of Downliners Sect before, and they are awesome! Followed the links and heard some really good and gritty stuff. Glendora, Before You Accuse, great version of Hang On Sloopy. The Cyril Davies clip was incredible- didn't know Long John Baldrey was in his band. My favorite harp players are Norton Buffalo, Paul Butterfield and probably John Mayall. The Butterfield Blues Band used to play in town about once a year and it was packed! Got to see Mayall when he was touring with Duster Bennet, the one-man band. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »

"Yeah, Laine was great on that album. Wonder which direction the Moodies would have gone had he stayed?"

On the last 3 singles (the ones that came out after the LP) you can already hear the sound evolving. Inexplicably, a later reissue of the same CD comp was missing the last 6 songs. They form a "bridge" between the earlier material and the early Hayward-Lodge tracks heard on PRELUDE. (I usually play both CDs back-to-back.)

Just saw another CD compilation today with about 18 tracks compiled AT RANDOM (17 from what i have and 1 rare tracks only released in France). There's room on a CD for all 26 songs-- WHY would anyone not include all of them?

I put together my own "custom" version, were I rearranged the track order chronologically.  The first 4 singles, the LP (minus "Go Now" which was the 2nd single) and the last 3 singles.

I also read online somewhere not long ago that "Go Now" somehow got seriously screwed up in the studio, and every version ever released of it sounds inferior to the other songs on the comp!  Someone recently either found a better version of it or found a way to "remaster" it so it sounds like it was SUPPOSED to but never did. I always found it ironic that the only song of this version of the band that ever really sold, sounded SO BAD compared to everything else. (Of course, on the US "rechanneled stereo" LP, they ALL sounded bad...)

Another favorite Denny Laine song of mine is "Time To Hide", in my opinion the BEST track on the WINGS AT THE SPEED OF SOUND album.  The production on that album is AWFUL... fortunately, Denny's voice is so "rough", it didn't hurt the recording at all!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:26:51 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »

Continuing my latest batch of restorations today with one that's got SO MUCH
dirt on it, it's taking me much longer than I like.

I got the idea, why not, just for fun, put on some music that came out the same
year as the comic?

As it turned out, since it's early-60's Marvel (1963), I don't have quite as much music I love to death... but I do have some. So far...

The Limeliters: OUR MEN IN SAN FRANCISCO
John Barry: FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (w/Matt Munro)
Henry Mancini: THE PINK PANTHER (w/Fran Jeffries *)

* (you WON'T find her on the LP or CD, I had to create a special edition with her
version of "Meglio Stasera" taken straight from the film)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.