in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Music

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Music  (Read 17231 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Music
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2012, 04:27:52 AM »

Just put together today a fun custom CD comp:  "MOODY BLUES COVERS".  This is for Denny Laine-era and R&B fans...

Bobby Parker -- Steal Your Heart Away
Bobby Parker -- Watch Your Step *
Bessie Banks -- Go Now
The Drifters -- I Don't Want To Go On Without You
Kai Winding -- Time Is On My Side
Irma Thomas -- Time Is On My Side
Rolling Stones -- Time Is On My Side  (45 version)
Four Plus One -- Time Is On My Side
James Brown -- I'll Go Crazy
Solomon Burke -- Can't Nobody Love You
James Brown -- I Don't Mind
The In Crowd -- I Don't Mind
Sonny Boy Williamson II -- Bye Bye Bird

* This song was NOT done by the MB, but it's the only other Bobby Parker song I have (from the other side of the same single), so it just didn't make sense not to put both Parker songs together.  The opening bars, however, WERE blatently SWIPED, note-for-note, by George Harrison for "I Feel Fine"!

Some of these are MUCH better than the Moody Blues versions! Although, I must say, I strongly prefer Denny Laine's cover of "Steal Your Heart Away" to the Bobby Parker original. MUCH more dynamic & powerful.

Either way, it was SO cool to finally hear so many of these originals for the first time, after so many years.

The only things I could not find were copies of "I've Got A Dream" and "It Ain't Necessarily So".  Anybody got these songs handy?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »

This week:

Steve Miller Band:
CHILDREN OF THE FUTURE
SAILOR
BRAVE NEW WORLD
YOUR SAVING GRACE
NUMBER 5
ROCK LOVE

Haven't played these in ages!
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2012, 07:12:09 AM »

Today I just finished watching the DVD set- The Dick Cavett Show: Rock Icons.  Nine episodes from the years 1969-1974 plus a special filmed bit with the Rolling Stones in concert and backstage.

Some great episodes in this batch.  They start off with the post Woodstock show which was taped the same day that the concert ended.  Stephen Stills shows up with his pants still muddy from the rainy finish to the concert and Jimi Hendrix, who was scheduled for the show, does not make it at all because his closing appearance at the concert ran so late he couldn't get to the taping in time.  Appearances by Stills, David Crosby, Joni Mitchell and Jefferson Airplane still make for a top-notch show.  Listen closely and you'll hear Jefferson Airplane drop an F-Bomb in one of their songs!  Something which somehow got by the censors at ABC back in the day.
Sly and the Family Stone do a fine job performing on another show but you end up feeling pretty sorry for Cavett when he tries to interview Sly only to realize that the musician is generally too stoned to be coherent. 
Cavett has better luck with David Bowie who initially is very nervous and uncommunicative after he performs.  Cavett eventually gets him more comfortable and he opens up as the show progresses.
George Harrison is very candid in his appearance (with Ravi Shankar) while Stevie Wonder seems to be having a bit of an off day on his show.
One of my favorite shows was the Paul Simon show where he not only performs some great numbers, but shows us a bit of the creative process when he plays a bit of a new song he is currently working on but having some trouble with.  That song eventually became "Still Crazy After All These Years".
Janis Joplin gets top honors on the set with one disc in the set devoted to her and containing all three (of four) surviving appearances she made on the show.  She's always great when she performs but her conversations with Cavett (and other guests such as Raquel Welch, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Margot Kidder and Gloria Swanson) are also quite enjoyable.  Cavett obviously enjoyed having her on the show and her last show (shot two months before her death) seems very bittersweet in retrospect.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »

Yet another show I've never seen!
Linda and I like some music with our Sunday dinner and recently we've been listening to Tommy Dorsey and lots of Humphrey Lyttleton.  Tonight we might have a bit of Benny Goodman.
Strange you should mention Jefferson Airplane because I was visiting some friends yesterday in my pals studio in Glasgow and some one started chatting about Grace Slick. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2012, 12:34:01 AM »

I do not care for Janis Joplin and fine the Rolling Stones to be extremely over rated. If they had not come along at the right time I do not think they would have made much of a splash. Mick Jagger can not sing and is dog ugly. Not sure why he ever caught on
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »

Today:

The Hellbenders -- TODAY WE KILL... TOMORROW WE DIE

Steve Miller Band --
RECALL THE BEGINNING... A JOURNEY FROM EDEN
THE JOKER
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »

Just ran across a blog with the history of Sheep Records, the tiny Zurich label I managed to get a number of really fun items from some years back.  Turns out they did go under, and I decided to post the following message.

http://stereocandies.blogspot.com

I was just thinking about Sheep Records earlier today, only to find they did in fact go under some years ago. I found them initially via a bar show at Philly's Silk City. The bands that night were The Omega Men (Lancaster PA) and The Space Cossacks (Washington DC). Also on hand was Art Borrasseau, owner of MuSick Recordings (who has since moved to California). He had a table set up where he was selling CDs and 45, and I made a point of buying one of everything he had! This included "PHANTOM RIDER" / "SPOOKY SHORE" by Zurich's own Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited. That was my intro to both one of my top favorite bands of the last 15 years, but also Sheep Records.

Later, I found Sheep's website (their first one) where I saw all sorts of fascinating, fun 45 jackets posted. The one that most grabbed my attention was "REVENGE OF THE BLIND MAN" by The Men From S.P.E.C.T.R.E. Took me quite some time to get ahold of that. While S.S.S.U. can regularly be found on Amazon.com (which means you can get it just about everywhere), Sheep Records were-- were the most part-- maddenningly-- ONLY available direct from Sheep Records. And let me tell you, their website was NOT set up in a fashion that I could figure out. For the life of me!!

While I got a couple of their releases thru Double Crown Records (thank God for Sean Berry), a few others I wound up having to get direct from the owner of Sheep, who I contacted via e-mail because the Sheep website was impenetrable (or just couldn't be worked from America, I'm not sure which).

I published a comic-book with a limited print run, STORMBOY, and managed to get it into Amazon's "Advantage" program-- which meant, I later learned, it wound up being listed at COUNTLESS websites who were all linked to Amazon all over the world. It utterly baffled me that if I could do this, if I could figure this out, all on my own, HOW was it possible that Sheep Records never got their stuff into Amazon's system? If only for promotional purposes. I can't help but feel this eventually led, DIRECTLY, to their going belly-up.

Anyway, I did manage to get the first 2 Men From SPECTRE CDs, but also, a set of 45s which are simply among the "gems" of my collection. 2 M.F.S. singles, 1 by Lou Hoffner Trio Minus One, 1 by The Treble Spankers (picked up at that same Silk City show), 1 by Charlotte's Bionic Blimp (who remind me a lot of 80's E.L.O.), 1 by Los Banditos, and 1 by Spookysounds For Beige (really, S.S.S.U. under another name).

I put together a CD comp of these which I titled "ZURICH INVASION", and slapped the poster art from ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE onto it (the painting showing the battle atop Piz Gloria).

I think the world can always use another small label like Sheep, and bands like they put out releases by. The big "corporate" labels have managed to just about run the entire music business INTO THE GROUND (in much the same way as Marvel & DC have done with American comic-books). I say, UP with the "little guys"!!!
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »

These days with so many people (and virtually all younger folks) getting their music via downloads its a wonder there are any small labels around at all.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 01:39:20 PM »

I do not care for Janis Joplin and fine the Rolling Stones to be extremely over rated. If they had not come along at the right time I do not think they would have made much of a splash. Mick Jagger can not sing and is dog ugly. Not sure why he ever caught on

Of course one's feelings about music are very  subjective but I've been a fan of Joplin's since I was teenager.  I just think she's great blues singer.
With the Stones- some I like, some I don't like so much.  As to Jagger-  he does bring a certain power and presence to the stage and has a degree of charisma that has never left him wanting for female companionship despite his looks.  As to his singing- well having a great voice has never been the top requirement for being a rock musician.  Plenty of others out there with voices no better (or worse).

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »

Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited --  (instrumental duo from Zurich)
PLAYS LOST TV THEMES
THE FLUID SOUNDBOX
THE SPACESOUND EFFECT
JET SOUND INC.
JO SIFFERT
THE SPOOKY SOUND SESSIONS

6 albums, not 1 bad song! Wow.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2012, 06:49:27 PM »

The wife and I saw Hugh Laurie in concert last Saturday. Backed up by The Copper Canyon Band, we were treated to an evening of blues, ragtime, a little gospel, and some really great boogie-woogie. Witty, charming, and an excellent musician, Laurie entertained us with selections from his "Let Them Talk" album. "St. James Infirmary" and "Swanee River" brought down the house. Absolutely the best concert we've seen in the last four or five years. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »

He is good.  Last night's Jubilee concert, which we didn't watch deliberately, seemed to go down well with the public, featuring lots of old guys who just don't sound good now.  One high point and the bit we did see was Madness, on the roof of Buck House with an amazing lightshow on the front of the Palace.  Now, they are still entertaining, with a bit of life about them - imo.
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2012, 04:37:54 AM »

by yalls taste in music im starting to get the impression im the youngster around here lol ;)
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.