in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3

topic icon Author Topic: Music  (Read 17232 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Music
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 02:20:38 AM »

cool idea
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »

I'm sure I have more 45s and various loose songs on different comps, plus a lot only on vinyl, but at the moment the actual number of 1963 CDs I have seem a bit small.  Anyway, later that same day...

The Beatles -- PLEASE PLEASE ME
The Beatles -- WITH THE BEATLES

In-between, the songs on PAST MASTERS VOLUME ONE that came out in between (haven't played them in that sequence in awhile now).
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
early Moody Blues
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 06:03:03 PM »

Someone at MASTERWORKS posted a very long & in-depth review of The Moody Blues' DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED explaining why it deserves to be considered "progressive rock" (which it often isn't).  I wrote the following in reply... enjoy!

Henry

I happen to be one of those who actually enjoys the group from their earliest recordings, despite the shocking change in style between the Denny Laine & Justin Hayward periods.

In fact, ever since I got ahold of their early recordings on CD, I often play the first 3 CDs back-to-back AS A SET, even though the majority of the songs were released as singles, not albums.

To do it properly, I had to create my own custom CD version of THE MAGNIFICENT MOODIES.  When it was originally reissued, it was available either as 2 LPs or 1 CD (25 songs total), with the original LP on one disc and the singles on the other.  The CD contained the LP followed by the singles.  I preferred tracking them in relase order, which means, the first 4 singles, the LP, and the last 3 singles. Strangely enough, there is a a version of the CD that came out with the last 3 singles (6 songs) MISSING, which is terrible, as it removes an important part of the band's stylistic "evolution".  On a song like "Everyday", you can hear how the band is already moving toward the style they became known for EVEN WITH Denny Laine still in the band!

Perhaps the most important part of that CD I bought, apart from having all 25 songs in one place, was the fact that it was in MONO.  The US LP "GO NOW" was in horrible "re-channeled stereo" (just like all the early US Rolling Stones LPs-- wretch!!!).  So the songs, while some of them are on the "crude" and "raw" side, sound terrific-- with the exception of "Go Now", which still sounds awful, even in mono. It's ironic that their ONE hit from that period was somehow mastered terribly back when. I've read that the song has been remastered properly-- decades after-the-fact-- but I'm not gonna buy an entire new CD just for one songs I don't even care for that much.  (Incidentally, on my custom version, I included "Go Now" with the singles, NOT with the LP. I wasn't gonna put it on there twice.)

My favorite songs from the Denny Laine period are "Steal Your Heart Away" (their debut single! --I only recently heard the original version by Bobby Parker-- and I definitely prefer the MB version), "It's Easy Child" (the B-side to "Go Now"), "From The Bottom Of My Heart (I Love You)" (the opening always makes me think of a spaghetti western), "Something You Got", "I've Got A Dream", "It Ain't Necessarily So" (these 3 from the LP), "Everyday", and "Boulevarde De La Madelaine" (this one I followed the example of the CD by putting it as the LAST track on the CD, even though it was the 6th single and strictly chronologically would have 3 songs after it).

Next up is PRELUDE, the early "loose" songs with Justin Hayward & John Lodge. This makes a PERFECT "bridge" between the Denny Laine era and DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED. This is especially true as the vast majority of it was recorded before DAYS... was released. It's like "the album that never was but should have been". It's amazing how Justin Hayward's "Fly Me High" and Mike Pinder's "I Really Haven't Got The Time" exist side-by-side (and were in fact recorded the SAME DAY), despite the 2 songs each representing very different styles and directions of the group (Pinder's song sounding very much like it came from the later Denny Laine period). PRELUDE is a GREAT collection, with "Please Think About It" being the only real DUD on the thing. "Leave This Man Alone", "Cities", "Gimme A Little Somethin'", "King And Queen", "What Am I Doing Here"-- all magnificent songs and recordings.  (I tend to skip "Late Lament" as it's almost identical to the version on DAYS...)

It's strange, I'm sure, but sometimes I play these 3 CDs and just stop at the end of DAYS..., whereas I'm sure most people probably start with DAYS... and keep going.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »

Since I was actually working again, last week I put in my 1st mail-order since last March. And it arrived today!

THE FRIGGS: TODAY IS TOMORROW'S YESTERDAY
(singles and unrelased songs)

As it happens, I already had all but 1 of the 15 tracks on this thing, but decided to spring for it anyway, since some of the vinyl pressings I have were SO defective that my skills with the sound editor program could only clean them up so far.

Nice to finally hear some of these without incessant HISSSSSSSS and other things, and "Juiced Up" (one of the most powerful rock songs ever) actually goes al the way to the end (the 45 always cut off when the tone arm picked up before the fade-out).

However, now that I've listened, a strange thing... but not one I haven't encountered before. All the tracks seem to be in STEREO, while I'm pretty sure some of the vinyl tracks WEREN'T. An in particularly, "Juiced Up" sounds a bit LESS powerful in a few spots, because of the stereo mix. A rule of thumb I've figured out over the years, if you're doing a "hits" collection, you should have the "HIT" versions, NOT remixes, NOT live versions, NOT alternate takes, demos, etc.

This is why Pat Boone's "Speedy Gonzales" (his best-seller ever) doesn't sound half as good on CD as it does on the 45.

I was planning to take these tracks as-is and re-order them to create an "upgraded" version of my own comp (which I put together back in 2004), but now I may only use SOME tracks, and for one, I may try some fancy editing... (we'll see)

Mike Fergeson (alias "Mick Cancer") wrote the intellectually-bizarro liner notes.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »

Henry, sort of on the same subject, being a huge fan of The Ventures, I bought a c.d. of their "greatest" hits as my vinyl copies are really old.  But the sound of the c.d. isn't as dynamic or powerful as the 45's.  Fiddling with the tone and filters gets it a bit better but the vinyl just sounds better, ticks and all.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »

It really depends on who does the remastering, and how. I know at least one person who INSISTS that, on a technical level, CDs are incapable of sounding as good as vinyl, but to me, you'd need expensive, high-end equipment, and pristene vinyl to really make a difference. In the 80's too many CD reissues of old albums were done from multiple-generation tapes, each one removed in quality from the originals (in fact, many LP reissues were the same, each reissue sounding less good than the original).  I think it took until the 90's before the trend started to go back to original master tapes and work from there.

A good example was BLUE OYSTER CULT's debut. My LP (bought in the late 70's) never sounded right in the first place.  The 80's CD sounded even worse.  Then MFSL licensed it from Columbia and did their usual hi-tech remastering job.  WOW. It was like listening to an entirely different recording.  I could hear every note and every word.  They noted that they had left in the noticeable hiss, because earlier attempts to remove it had also removed much of the recording quality as well.

MFSL also remastered The Moody Blues 7 "classic" albums; I got DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED, and the difference between that and the late-70's LP reissue was staggering.  (Sadly, MFSL went out of business some time back, Sony, who bought out Columbia, then began finally doing their own remasterings.)

It does seem to me that when I copy a CD on my computer, there is a SMALL drop in quality, even though there isn't supposed to be. But it's usually small enough that I'll only notice a difference when I dig uot the original.  With old vinyl, in a lot of cases I've been able to make CDs that definitely sound better than the originals, albeit, it's old, beat-up originals I'm talking about. Once I get it to a certain point and run off a disc, the quality should NEVER drop from there, which is the advantage over vinyl, which gets more worn with EACH play.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »

Please excuse my returning to The Ventures.  I dug out the 45 of Ram Bunk Shush, first one that came to hand, and it sounds much fuller and more dynamic ( best words I can come up with) than on the c.d version and they are not re-recordings on the c.d.
My equipment is a Pioneer deck and a Kenwood amp. CD player is a Denon - all of it old.  So, it must be the way it's recorded onto the c.d.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »

I was just watching the Utube video for Bear Records new 5 CD Duane Eddy compilation of his work for Jamie Records, primarily as a session man. Click the play button on this site:
http://www.bear-family.de/bear-family-vertrieb/bear-family-international/bcd-15778.html

ps. I'll also take The Ventures any day. Great memories.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 05:04:07 AM »

Also been a long time since I listened to any Ventures. Bringing back memories Jim
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »

I won't go into the CD/vinyl debate. CD/iTunes are good enough for me.

Tonight was listening to Gogi Grant, Frankie Laine, Patsy Cline, Gene Vincent and Mary Chapin Carpenter (with a Dorsey Burnette and an Anne Murray tossed in for good measure). Who said I didn't have eclectic tastes in music, too?

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »

Thanks for the link.  One of the earliest "real" guitar records I heard was a Duane Eddy and I still rate Because They're Young as one of my all time favourites.  Despite that, it was a revelation hearing for the first time The Ventures, Walk don't Run.  It was so good, I preferred it even to The Shadows, Apache.
I was also a fan of Johnny and The Hurricanes.  If you fancy some more nostalgia and great tunes, try this:-
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=johnny+and+the+hurricanes&oq=johnny+and+the+hurricanes&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=19435l26506l0l29691l25l24l0l14l14l1l255l1715l2.4.4l10l0

I saw on one of the J and The H pages a Spotniks entry.  They were Swedish, I think, and dressed in astronauts kit.  Going back to have a look.  Other instrumental groups we had included, Nero and The Gladiators; Group X; Lord Rockinghams Eleven; John Barry 7; Sounds Incorporated.

Sort of frightened to ask this, but here goes.  Does anyone enjoy Townes Van Zandt, or am I a lonely voice, singing his praises to an empty room?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »

Since I had no idea who  Townes Van Zandt was I went to grooveshark.com and listened to a song. Not my cup of tea. I do not like most country music. I am amazed that grooveshark has had every obscure song I have looked for. They even had the kitch song Dead Skunk which was a one hit wonder many years ago.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 03:32:44 AM »

Not counting big band, orchestras, or movie soundtracks, my introduction to "instrumental rock" (or, "surf music") was the night I saw LOS STRAITJACKETS.  I went to see The Friggs, and Palmyra kept urging me to stay to see the headliner.  I stood a few feet from the stage and found myself surrounded by the girls from the other band.  I figured I'd at least hear what they sounded like.  WOW.  What a powerful sound.  And unlike far too many rock guitarists, who use noise to cover their lack of playing ability, these guys KNEW what they were doing. A few songs in, they went into Elmer Bernstein's "The Magnificent Seven", and I found myself in music heaven.  I stayed 'til the end of the night, enjoyed the hell out of myself, bought their CD (which became my #1 fave album of 1995), and Danny Amis even snapped a photo of me with the girls.  What a night!

After that, I made it a point to see them every time they came to Philly.  I also, thru a viariety of sources, wound up discovering HUNDREDS of other instrumental bands from all over the world, new and old.  For awhile there, I couldn't get enough!  A "short" list of my favorites would include...

The Space Cossacks
The Shadows
The Boss Martians  (Tacoma, WA)
The Fathoms
Cadillac Hitmen
The Cybermen  (Helsinki)
Laika and the Cosmonauts
The Hypnomen  (Helsinki)
Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited  (Zurich)
The Men From S.P.E.C.T.R.E.  (Zurich)
The Ventures
Silver Surfer  (Kasel, Germany)
New World Relampagos
Destination: Earth!  (Indianapolis)
The Exotics
Dalek Beach Party
Kare and the Cavemen  (Oslo)
Del Noah and the Mt. Ararat Finks
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »

Totally lost me, prof.
I spent the day listening to Etta James (with a few Janis Joplin covers and a little Bobby Darin thrown in). All of your list is what I laughingly call "after my time." Sorry, when they began to mix multi-track recordings in such a way that the instrumentation overwhelmed the vocals, I gave up. I think that was about 1968.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »

This weekend The Irish Rovers on Saturday morning and caught KJZZ's Blues show last night which highlighted Etta James.

This morning I've got a little Hank Ballard and the Midnighters lined up.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 12:01:07 AM »

"Totally lost me, prof."

I'm not surprised. I love to jokingly refer to a lot of these as bands "nobody ever heard of". But that doesn't mean "not good"!

Someone at a yahoo group awhile back asked if I could compile a "surf comp" of my favorite songs, and I was able to do so rather quickly. There were a few by "classic" bands, but most were by some of the ones on my previous list.

There's some amazing stuff out there these days that never gets any publicity. Most people can't be bothered having to search it out.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »

Right now...

The London Philharmonic Orchestra --
WDVR-FM presents MUSIC FOR BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

..or, as I jokingly like to call it, "The world's greatest elevator music". Crazy thing, this collection introduced me to quite a few songs I later got to like the original versions of (like Neil Diamond's "Shilo").
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »

This past week I've been watching/listening to one of those Best of Soul Train DVDs that Time-Life put which I picked up at the library.  Lots of great performers from the early 1970s- Billy Preston, War, The Stlystics, Wilson Pickett, George McCrae, Spinners and more.
All put together and hosted by Don Cornelius (and brought to you by Ultra-Sheen and Afro-Sheen!).  I was surprised to learn when reading the liner notes that the show has lasted until 2006 (an incredible 35 year run) as I hadn't seen it in many years.

Anyway after winding up my watching of the disc yesterday morning I went to bed and was shocked when I woke up to see the evening news with the reports of the sad death of Don Cornelius.  Weird!!!

Still shaking my head

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 08:11:14 PM »

"an incredible 35 year run"

Yeah, that is amazing. Some of these "entertainment" (or "music") shows have had long life-spans. I guess as long as there's new music out there, they can keep going.  I mean, look at THE LAWRENCE WELK SHOW and HEE HAW, both of which became more profitable after being cancelled by the networks, when they went into FIRST-RUN SYNDICATION. And then there's AMERICAN BANDSTAND, which is no doubt the closest comparison to SOOOOOOOOOOOUL TRAIN.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: DAVY JONES / RIP @ 66
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »

Well that's sad...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/02/monkees-singer-davy-jones-dies-report/

The Monkees, of course, have long been my #1 favorite singing group, and one of the VERY FEW popular groups I actually got to see live in person, 3 TIMES.

Henry
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »

3 times. Wow. And yes, it's sad.  We've just heard it on Radio 4 news.   The Monkees was a must watch show.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 03:31:49 AM »

THE MONKEES is (so far) the ONLY tv series I actually BOUGHT every single episode of-- on videotape.  (I got the Rhino box set!!) I only wish the episodes were in a more sensible order (you have tow swap tapes between EVERY episode in order to watch themn in the right sequence.)

When I read the news, I popped on "Looking For The Good Times", GREAT Boyce-Hart tune recorded for the 2nd album (but not released until the 8th), with Davy really ROCKING it out.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 03:50:45 AM »

I liked the music much more than the show. I could only take a few episoded then got tired of it. Still loved the music and still do. I also love the Partridge Family show and music.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 12:03:56 PM »

The Lil Missus and I saw them in concert at ASU during their 20th anniversary tour back in 1986.  Great fun!!

R.I.P. Davey.

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 08:11:12 PM »

Our news programmes did a nice job of celebrating his career including an appearance on Z Cars when he was a boy.  He was also in Coronation Street as Elsie Sharples nephew?
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.