in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150626 times)

darwination

• VIP
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #350 on: October 08, 2010, 01:58:59 AM »

The final issue of the series under this title, as it continued the numbering as Pictorial Romances 04 two months laster.  Thanks to JVJ for letting us at his collection and to Twobyfour for the raw scans.

Pictorial Confessions 003 (1949.St. John)

This issue features art from Matt Baker, Joe Kubert, and Jack Sparling.

Available at the FTP or here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bbj5e4bpjq81v47
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #351 on: October 08, 2010, 02:05:20 AM »

Pictorial Confessions 003 (1949.St. John)

Thank you Darwination, Twobyfour & especially JVJ!!!

The file is now live on the download site!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #352 on: November 03, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »

Cody of the Pony Express 008 (1955-10.Charlton) (GambitNation)

Thanks to Gambit for the raws!

At the FTP or available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?oa9p1ssfujmnkih
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #353 on: November 03, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »

Looks awesome Darwin! Thanks!!!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #354 on: November 17, 2010, 02:19:48 AM »

Not my scan, all thanks to Konky for the issue!

Terrors of the Jungle 007 (1953-12.Star) konky

available at the ftp or here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bdxszm1vl7bp79u
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #355 on: November 17, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »

sweeet find, darwination!  Mucho gracias
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #356 on: November 17, 2010, 07:46:25 PM »

Great cover I have not had a chance to look inside. thanks
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #357 on: November 24, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »

Spectacular Features Magazine 012 Iwo Jima (1950-06.Fox) (Darwination)

I've been reading James Bradley's Flags of Our Fathers (which is an investigation of the famous photo featured on the cover of this issue) and will blog this issue as the last entry in a series of WWII scans over on my blog @ http://darwinscans.blogspot.com/ in a day or few.  I thought I'd go ahead and stick the issue up here in the meantime  :)

Having trouble getting an FTP connection, so I'll keep trying.  In the interim, the scan is available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tpj9e5y3xphp14h
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #358 on: November 25, 2010, 09:42:39 AM »

I've been reading James Bradley's Flags of Our Fathers (which is an investigation of the famous photo featured on the cover of this issue) and will blog this issue as the last entry in a series of WWII scans over on my blog @ http://darwinscans.blogspot.com/ in a day or few. 

I read Bradley's book two or three years back.  A very good account of the Iwo Jima story.  Much better than the Clint Eastwood movie adaptation.  Bradley's father, for those who might not be aware, was the late "Doc" Bradley, who was one of the men raising the flag in the famous photograph.
James Bradley has since written a couple of other books about war and the Pacific theatre (Flyboys is one title that comes most readily to mind) that I've been meaning to check out.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #359 on: November 27, 2010, 12:56:58 AM »

Spirit Section 095 (1942-03-22.Philadelphia Record)

Still having trouble uploading to the FTP, but in the meantime you can grab it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0x32602y3y8ftf8
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #360 on: November 27, 2010, 02:03:39 AM »

Spirit Section 095 (1942-03-22.Philadelphia Record)

Still having trouble uploading to the FTP, but in the meantime you can grab it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0x32602y3y8ftf8

Thank you Darwination! That feature is still fubar'd.  :-\ Highly annoying.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #361 on: January 07, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »

Whew, it's been a while  :o A Winter flu, X-mas, other projects, yada, yada, but here's a nice one!

Teen-Age Romances 011 (1950-08.St. John) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Poor Al has all these Baker beauties catting over him, poor fella  ::)

Superbig thanks to JVJ for providing the comic and also to Twobyfour for the raws.  It's a Matt Baker-heavy issue with three comics from him as well as the illustrations for a text story.

Available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j5y83tt4mcharju
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #362 on: January 07, 2011, 01:10:59 PM »

Wow! That's a beauty, D!  Well worth the wait. Thanks to the contributions of all involved. Love that Baker titillation stuff!
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #363 on: January 07, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »

Teen-Age Romances 011 (1950-08.St. John) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Thanks Darwination! This one is now live on the download site.  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #364 on: January 19, 2011, 05:47:20 AM »

Teen-Age Romances 012 (1950-10.St. John) (JVJ-2x4-Dar)

Thanks as ever to JVJ for letting us golden age scanners at his great collection and to Twobyfour for the raws! It's great fun to work with these fine St. John romances, and restoring each Baker cover is a real treat. Featuring interior art from Matt Baker and Ruth Atkinson (and perhaps another artist).

Available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j2y9cj9de97edbi
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #365 on: January 19, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »

You guys are on a hot streak!  Incredible work...Bravo!
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #366 on: January 19, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »

"Teen-Age Romances #12, October 1950, c2c by St. John Publishing Co. A JVJ book with scans by Darwination and the edits done by Twobyfour."

Thanks guys!!!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #367 on: February 04, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »

More St. John romance from the JVJ collection, woohoo!  Thanks to Twoby for the raws.  The copy was a pretty wavy, but I did what I could with it.  The cover ended up being a hybrid of Jim's cover (which was pretty rough) and a Heritage cover.

Teen-Age Romances 010 (1950-06.St.John) (JVJ-2x4-Dar)

available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c6g90cjx2xac3jf

Artists in the index for this issue include Matt Baker, Hy Rosen, Chuck Miller, and possibly others. Some splashes:

On the St. John checklist, this one's credited to Chuck Miller Hy Rosen, but I think I see some Kubert in there as well?...

Again, huge thanks to Jim for letting us at his comics.  More to come...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:13:11 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #368 on: February 05, 2011, 12:02:31 AM »

Teen-Age Romances 010 (1950-06.St.John) (JVJ-2x4-Dar)

Thanks much Darwin!!! The file is now live on the download area.

B.  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #369 on: February 07, 2011, 01:29:27 AM »

Something wrong with that Miller attribution, guys,
"Invitation to a Broken Heart" is Hy Rosen (and that Kubert feel is very evident in many Rosen strips).

You're welcome.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #370 on: February 08, 2011, 04:12:27 AM »

Yep, you're right, Jim.  Your index does list that one as Rosen.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #371 on: March 03, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »

Teen-Age Romances 014 (1951-02.St. John) (JVJ-2x4-Dar).cbr

Another excellent St. John romance from the JVJ collection!  Thanks go to Twobyfour for the raws.  Featuring cover and 3 stories from from Matt Baker, as well as a story from Carmine Infantino and TAL.

Available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c7rtzjy0yn15g4h

A sample slash from a cute and well-handled story, I'm guessing you can figure out the topic just from the splash, heh heh.

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #372 on: March 04, 2011, 02:12:52 AM »

Teen-Age Romances 014 (1951-02.St. John) (JVJ-2x4-Dar) is now live on the download site.

Thank you Darwination! JVJ! 2x4! Much appreciated!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #373 on: March 24, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »

Teen-Age Romances 016 (1951-06.St. John) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Another fine romance for y'all today from the JVJ collection! An all-Baker issue.  Whew, Archer St. John sure kept him busy.  Per usual, a titillating cover, people are starting to talk!  As with many of the Baker covers, Baker tends to use some a small collection of distinct character types.  There's the judgmental bystander, short-haired and leaning back with hands in pockets, washing her hands of the situation paired with the surly and controlling brother, grabby and mean and on the verge of violence.  Then there's our heroine, the beautiful blonde, torn but following her heart, come what may with arm around the bad boy, not smug in facial expression as you might expect, although his body language certainly shows a laid-back arrogance you wouldn't really expect in this confrontation. A fully-set scene for certain placing the voyeuristic reader in the position where she (or he :)) might condemn the wayward lass as well as sympathize.

Within, there's the inside covers' story with a Baker spot illustration, "How I Found Romance," which seems to offer some strange advice on how to find romance. 

The comic leads with "I Was Scarred by Love!" regarding Karen whose boyfriend goes into the military with promises to be true but never returns a single letter. Soured completely by men, the heroine coldly turns down all offers for dates from the boys.  Her officer father suggests she get her mind off it by volunteering at the V.A. hospital helping injured boys back from Korea, and Karen reluctantly agrees.  Dutifully going about her work and spurning all advances from patients, Karen nonetheless begins to think about Ray, and her dad even gives her the green light:

Can a girl scarred by love ever move on?!  Next up is "I Was a Cheat."  Watch out for this cutie, she looks like trouble!

Baker gets to put his sense for glamor on display as this little secretary tires of her boyfriend and hits the town with the upper-crust.  Will she ever come to her senses?! Then there's "What is Love?" in which Emily and Bob, longtime sweethearts, decide whether it's time to tell the world that they are in love.  But Emily has her doubts, and she shares few interests with Bob.  They seems to work it all out in very thoughtful manner...Next is "I Tried to Buy Love -- With Kisses" which begins when Muriel slaps Barbara down at a party for moving too fast with her little brother and turns out to be a thoughtful discussion on the role of necking in a healthy relationship.  Barb's parents are surprisingly open-minded on the subject, geez.  Last up is "Forbidden Fruit," the tastiest kind, I hear, a story of April's attraction to bad seed Ronnie, a man her older brother has forbidden her to see.  Her brother brings his friend Larry home for the weekend hoping to spark a romance, but April has a plan to use the situation to her advantage:

Will the devious April get her comeuppance?  Or will some poor sap forgive all her transgressions? Hmm...

A fun issue, thanks as always to Jim for letting us scan his collection (and to all the donators that help shuttle the comics about) and to Twobyfour for providing the raw scans.

Available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?x6ff2ofayop0h2v
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #374 on: March 24, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »

Looking good as always guys, thanks.

Geo
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.