in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

topic icon Author Topic: Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39  (Read 46966 times)

hoover

message icon
Re: Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2014, 02:59:48 PM »

I've just uploaded some early issues of The Sexton Blake Library.  These are usually too expensive for me but these were all seconds.  Two are coverless and the end pages were very grubby and needed a lot of cleaning.  One had a piece missing from the last page but fortunately at the top so the last few paragraphs are there.  The other had the top right-hand corner burnt off but apart from the cover this was cut out during editing.
I think the dates are correct but a magazine that says it come out on the first Friday of the month and is dated the 31st is not ideal.
hoover
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »

Excellent additions to the site.  Those early stories are hard to come by, and expensive, as you say. I always enjoy some Sexton blake.  One of them features Splash Page and for anyone who is interested, we have Splash Page picture story in the British comics section.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »

I would like to point out that although I've been credited as the uploader of the Black Mask detective pulps they were not my scans.  Credit and thanks go to the Unknown Scanner yet again.
Bob
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »

I would also like to point out that Bob TOLD ME this and made it very clear. But I am afraid it went in one ear and out the other.

I have now made them "unknown/hoover".  Which later at some in the middle future will be used for our enhanced scanner and uploader information.

Anyways .. Bob .. you brought them, here!!!
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »

I've uploaded a mixture of British story papers.  I think I forgot to change the title and the issue of The Triumph is in the Skipper section.
Bob
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »

Hi Bob,

OK I see them! Among 32 other books that have arrived. Will sort them all out tomorrow and report back. Dinner and very early night here!
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2014, 09:16:23 AM »

It should be noted that of the Girls' Crystal story papers added yesterday numbers 26 and 27 were edited and scanned by Ufikus.  All the rest from #97 upwards were supplied by Mark Warner and scanned by me.

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »

I don't know who has been uploading my L Miller Captain Marvel Jr reprints in the last few days but Bogof39 and Bede are identities I use elsewhere and these should be marked as hoover instead.

Bob
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2015, 07:50:25 AM »

I believe and don't quote me on this that it the "elves what done it"!

I have made the bede's hoover. Do you want  me to change all the "bogoffs" we have on the site to "hoover"??.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2015, 09:00:31 AM »

This might not be important to others but the conversation about attribution touches on something that has always concerned me.  When uploading files I prefer, like hoover, to attribute the source as correctly as possible.  So, if it's all my own work, the attribution will read, paw broon.  If it is a file I have excavated from somewhere and if I know the scanner's name/nickname, I will type that name plus paw broon as I have uploaded it ( which work might from time to time mean also that I have had to do some work with page order or changing the file extension, whatever).  If I don't know the scanner's name, or none is listed with the file, I write, unknown/paw broon. 
Now, I prefer that method and I have noted some of my scans on other sites with no attribution.  It doesn't bother me that much, but it would be preferble if all files had a similar sort of attribution style.
Any thoughts on this, anyone?
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »

You might as well change them all Mark.  As long as it is no trouble.  I was hoover on GAC long before I had these other IDs.

Bob
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »

So let it be written, so let it be done
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

hoover

message icon
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2015, 03:02:28 PM »

Thanks Mark.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »

For those interested in crime. mystery and suspense text stories I've just uploaded a batch of The Thriller from 1929

hoover
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2016, 09:07:51 AM »

I've just uploaded some early copies of the UK story paper "The Adventure".  They are not edited as fully as I would like but I've so many scans of early papers that I'll never live long enough to edit them all.  If anyone would like to have a go at editing some please let me know and we can get more added to the website.
hoover
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »

I've just flipped through a few and personal opinion is they are 100% fine as they are. All I can see is a minor bit of cropping and a minute rotation needed on a few pages. I'd just up them and have done with it if I were you!
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »

For those interested in text detective stories I've just uploaded batches of Sexton Blake Library (Pulp Fictin/Crime and Detective) and The Thriller (British Story Papers).
hoover
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2016, 07:42:03 AM »

I've just uploaded some more scans of early Rover story papers.
I have a near complete run from #400 to #720 but many of them are scans of photocopies made by the late Colin Morgan and then given to me.  The artwork doesn't come out so well in the photocopies but the text is sometimes better than the scans, although rather inky in places.  As I had so many I never had time to edit them all and I've uploaded a raw scan to show what they look like.  I can upload them, Mark permitting, if members want them.  Anyone else is welcome to edit them if they wish.

hoover
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2016, 07:24:02 AM »

I've just uploaded the last batch of The Thriller that I have.  If bambos wants something to complain about I suggest he looks at Boys' Magazines which mainly have joined centrefolds.
When I get the time I'll be editing more Boys' Magazines and possibly a few issues of Sexton Blake Library.
hoover
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »

Comic Cuts was an early UK comic which ran for 3006 issues between 1890 and 1953.  Typical of UK comics at that time it was about half-and-half comic strips and text stories.

Thanks to Harmsworth who provided scans of issue 0001 I've now uploaded it and issue 3003 which I got recently.  This gives a chance to see how it changed through the years.

hoover
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »

I have several copies of Enid Blyton's Sunny Stories which was a comic for younger children.  I don't know if the Blyton name will cause any copyright problems so I've uploaded one to the UK comics section for you to evaluate.
hoover
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2016, 06:26:18 AM »

I am afraid she is scarey and we keep well away :(
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2016, 05:48:31 PM »

According to Wikipedia Enid Blyton ceased to be editor/writer for Sunny Stories in 1952.  I have a couple of issues from just after that if you are interested.
hoover
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2016, 08:37:17 AM »

My latest uploads provide a variety for Sexton Blake fans.  Six issues of Sexton Blake Library and four of Union Jack.
hoover
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »

I've just uploaded a couple of early UK comics titled 'The Favorite Comic'.  Why they used the US spelling I don't know.  The scans are not brilliant partly because the large page size means that each page has to be stitched and partly because they are part of a bound volume which is awkward to handle.  I've edited to black and white to make them easier to read.  Like most pre-war UK comics they are half text and half comic and I put the in the UK Comics section because that is the way they are listed at this site:-
http://www.dandare.info/history/fleet-story-index.htm

I've also uploaded a few more issues of Sexton Blake Library.  The series 2 issue is from 1940 but the month is unknown according to the Blakiana website.  The staple in issue 261 had badly rusted and affected the pages and they may not be easy to read online.  If that is the case download and use a comic reader and they are just about readable.

hoover
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.