in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Comics From Around the World

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

topic icon Author Topic: Comics From Around the World  (Read 121283 times)

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Re: Comics From Around the World
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »

Just so you don't think I have abandoned this topic I haven't. I have been busy working on the cast of characters from Italy, as the books I have bought rolls in and I find more characters the list changes and morphs into another reality altogether different than when I started this adventure. So that said here is the list I have been working off of. This list does contain characters that do not belong on the list. For example Secret Agent X-9 doesn't belong as does Bob Star (Red Barry American Strip) but I have left them there for now and will clean the list up once I am done. So here is the list:

Alain La Foudre (French Version of Dick Fulmine)
Amok   
Arcana (Mistero Partner)                  X
Asso D' Picchi                                   X   
Bax Controto IL Grande Nemico   
Bob Star (Red Barry? American?)   
Carnera   
Ciclone   
Dick Fulmine   
Flattavion   
Folgore   
Fulmine mascherato   (Dick Fulmine)
Furio                                                     *   
Furio Almirante  ! (same charcter)    *   
Furio Mascherato ! (same character)
Gim Toro   
Gimmy (See Asso Di Picchi)           X   
Giorgio Ventura   
Giustiziere Scarlatto   
Gran Condor (Miss Alice partner)   X   
Guizzo (Tanks L'Uomo D'Acciaio ) X   
Hara Sahib IL Fachiro (Mystery woman partner)   
IL Cavaliere della Notte   
IL Moshettiere Alato   
Il Nemico Invisible   
IL Solitario   
Ipnos   
Jim Turbine   
Joe Bolide   
L Uomo Blindato   
La Parola Magica (Lion Head)
La Pattuglia Dei Senza Paura   
L'Agente Segreto X-9   
L'Asso D' Picchi (Gimmy partner)   
L'Ombra   
L'Uomo Blindato   
L'Uomo Dalla Maschera Rossa    1936
Machera Bianca   
Margus   
Maschara Blu   
Maskar   
Mirko   
Miss Alice (L'Uomo Mascherata)     X   
Misterix   
Mistero (Arcana Partner)   
Nick Silver   
Pantera Bionda   
Plutos   
Raff Pugno D'Acciaio   
Ragar   
Razzo L' Uomo Plastica   
Rex Lo Sparviero Del Mare   
Roal IL Tarzaan Del Mare   
Simbar   
Tanks L'Uomo D'Acciaio (Guizzo companion)                 X   
Yorga   

And I have been doing the blurbs on the Newstand portions of the site here and I am currently working on the year 1943. take a look and and give me some feedback. Thanks. Italy will soon return. How about those Italian books I've posted? Have you all liked them?

Richard
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »

(9) Frisco Bill: 4-29-1948 / 11-26-1948

...and now we join in on the conversation.....listen...

....I have a soft spot for early postwar Italian comics. Like Golden Age American comics, their vigor and naive enthusiasm make up for simplistic stories and so-so artwork. Frisco Bill, which launched in 1948, is historically significant because it was one of the first titles published by Edizioni Audace, the company which evolved into Sergio Bonelli Editore, powerhouse of modern Italian comics. At the time Audace was run out of the family home by Tea Bonelli, ex-wife of Gian Luigi Bonelli. a major figure in prewar publishing who gained immortality as the creator of western hero Tex Willer. Tea's all-purpose gofer was her son Sergio, who would work his way up to become one of the most important figures in Italian comic history. Like many comics of the day, Frisco Bill appeared weekly in the striscia ("strip") format. These were saddle-stapled 6.5 x 9.5 inch booklets with color covers and black-and-white interiors. Counting the covers each issue ran 12 pages. Nine pages of story began on the inside front cover. Fan features and a sports article filled the inside back cover and a page of house ads completed the package.

1940s Italian comic readers weren't much interested in costumed heroes or science fiction. The big sellers were period pieces like westerns or pirate stories, and modern "street clothes" adventures in which a valiant two-fisted hero chased bad guys. Frisco Bill fit solidly into the latter category. Bill was an American journalist (Italian comics were full of American heroes) stationed in Rio de Janeiro. Like most comic book reporters he never wrote anything. He was too busy stumbling into mysteries. Though he started his first adventure solo, in issue 5 Bill joined forces with a street urchin named Zazzera and Zazzera's dog Pillacchera. More on them later.

In the first issue Frisco Bill visits a night club with his girlfriend Lupe, daughter of a local millionaire. They watch a performance by an oily dancer named Zapac and his sultry partner Amarilla. Bill is called to the telephone, where (like most heroes called to telephones) he's knocked unconscious. In his absence crooks abduct Lupe. We learn that Zapac and Amarilla are behind the kidnapping. They belong to an ancient cult called the Sect of the Serpent, a cabal of Indians led by a character named Zanco (lots of Z's in this story). Zanco has determined that if Lupe is married off to the Sun God, the sect will make a comeback and conquer Brazil. Zapac, Zanco, and company hustle Lupe out of town. When Bill wakes up he vows vengeance, and off we go. The tale's structure, such as it is, resembles old Saturday morning movie serials. After the first-issue setup the story is an endless cycle of chase, capture, escape, chase, and recapture, punctuated by fist fights and gun battles.

As in movie serials, nothing much changes until the final chapter. After more than 200 pages of frantic action, in issue 25 the saga is wrapped in four breathless pages. By the time the "coming next issue" blurb rolls around Frisco Bill is already deep into a new mystery. Franco Baglioni's rudimentary script seems to have been made up as it went along. One character, Zapac's jealous girlfriend, appears, wanders awkwardly through a couple of scenes, and then quietly vanishes. Amarilla's role changes several times during the story. She starts as a secondary character, but by the last chapter she's practically the boss. It is she who frees our heroes and seals forever the entrance to the sect's hidden city. An impressive percentage of Baglioni's dialogue consists of exclamations of surprise and name-calling. Along with "brick face," Frisco Bill likes to call his opponents "Maccabees." Maybe someone out there can tell me why.

Artist Guido Zamperoni was a competent craftsman who went on to do some good work. Here, though, he delivers precisely what he's asked for and not a dot more. Guido Zamperoni Generic backgrounds and props rob the story of exoticism. It doesn't help that he uses only a handful of character faces. All the Indians look alike, all the white bad guys look alike, and the women are distinguishable only by their hairdos. In fact, when she is introduced the jealous girlfriend's hairdo is identical to Lupe's. Even Zazzera mistakes her for the kidnapped heiress. I suspect that's why the poor girl was eliminated from the story.

The strangest artistic choice is co-star Zazzera. Frisco Bill isn't the first "realistic" hero to have a cartoony sidekick. However Zazzera's design is so wildly out of synch with the rest of the artwork that he seems like a grotesque visitor from another universe. Zazzera's head is almost as big as Bill's entire torso, and when the boy starts socking baddies his bizarre proportions make for some very strange pictures. Pillacchera the Pooch is also broadly drawn, but somehow it's easier to accept in a dog. Zamperoni was a capable artist and I'm not maligning his drawing ability. Rather I'm suggesting that somewhere along the line someone made some unfortunate artistic decisions.

Frisco Bill and company ran out of breath in November of 1948 a mere 8 months after his first appearance but that was a typical life span of a fumetti character that came out on a weekly basis. I've uploaded a story I found on the 'net and only waiting approval so if it fly's you can get a feel for the series.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:54:55 AM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2013, 03:04:18 AM »

True Or False?

Are these characters as far as anyone knows just Euro versions of American characters as follows:

Bob Star = Red Barry
Giorgio Ventura = Brick Bradford
Nick Silver = ?
Folgore = ?

Not Sure but these two Sci-Fi

Raff & Margus

Anyone have a clue?

Let me know'

Richard
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »

No idea it is hard enough to recognize superhero knockoff let alone others. You might want to post this in an unlocked non-admin area
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2013, 08:18:23 PM »

Fascism, as soon as you replaced the liberal state, is immediately concerned for the education of "children of Italy" and their indoctrination to believe Mussolini. Was the constant concern of fascism to impose itself to the young. The same Minister of Education, Peter Fedele, in a speech to the House, March 25, 1927, proclaimed:  "the government, as the leader had to say, demands that the whole school, in all its degrees and its teachings educate the youth to understand Italian fascism, to ennoble and to live in fascism in the historical climate created by the fascist revolution."

Under the aegis of the fascist party, were created in 1923 as The Journal of the Balilla , renamed in 1926 The Balilla , and in 1927 La Piccola Italian , two weekly newspapers, however, that the vast majority of the boys ignored. The characters of the strips never attained the popularity because of their frailty, often coupled with a bleak clumsiness. Increasingly effort The Balilla took on the task to delineate the figure of the new Italian child and to raise it to the memory of the heroic past.  A climate heroic, irrational, excited, and perhaps for the times, exhilarating, pervades the pages of the Balilla . However, already tends to establish ties with the past of the nation, especially the "heroic", to seek short of the aspects of historical continuity and to educate the new generations to a moral fideistic blindly, to the worship of the great values ??of the metaphysical tradition, as large as incomprehensible but suitable to accustom to full dedication and sacrifice. Only The Balilla , in the years of World War II, he was able to draw attention to himself with the boards of Enrico De Seta opened up by the spiel:  "For fear of war - King of England Giorgetto - ask for help and protection - Ciurcillone to the minister. "

Ironically, that the hearts of young readers go to Ciurcillone always ill-treated. After Mussolini had consolidated his power began a slow and steady creeping fascism of all the newspapers and magazines, including one dedicated to the youth. And so every week for boys became increasingly patriotic, engaging in increasing exaltation of "pure heroes Italic" and in great contempt for the "red Bolsheviks" who were plotting against Western civilization. It had thus a large series of stories in comic dedicated to the colonial enterprise in Africa and the Spanish Civil War. And there were re-enactments of the Roman wars, the adventures medieval and Renaissance, the Risorgimento battles that mirrored the ambitions of fascism to be considered a worthy successor of the glories of the past. reenactments These, therefore, were mainly nationalist propaganda purposes and were used as psychological weapon to spread among young people and the spiritual supremacy ideology of fascism, and its impossible and alleged legacy of age-old sizes.

Over the period 1938-1940, following the example of the films of the regime, who spread the mythical images of the Italian colonizers was intensified production Comics African adventures. At that time, interference and abuse of fascist censorship became more heavy and ridiculous. In 1940 he went so far as to make fire from mild Sor Pampurio the maid Maria Bice, colpevolee to use the unmanly "she" instead of the formal "you". A year later, in 1941, were the stories that had prohibited "scenes of banditry, espionage, ambushes, attacks and environments shady and violent actions." With the approach of war, fascism visceral aversion to any form of expression is not guided by the themes of home, and the heroism of the Roman world is exasperated and also hit the comic book publishing. While the propaganda of the regime imposed its high-sounding slogans, trying to penetrate into the public consciousness, the ministry official banned the import and use of foreign comics. Some publishers, with all cunning Italian, got around the obstacle, proposing some American characters more or less disguised and "Italianised." 

And so, once again, the zealous censors of fascism, attacked by xenophobic rampage, showed all their blindness and stupidity. Take a few illustrative examples. In 1939, on ' Audace , the Tarzan by Burne Hogarth was renamed with the Teutonic name of Siegfried, while the text was attributed to an anonymous Amedeo Martini and the drawings were signed with the pseudonym apocryphal Ulterius. Of Mickey Mouse , the blond Brick Bradford (since its first appearance in Italianate Bruno Archers) were dyed black hair to give it a typically Latin. In accordance with an absurd nationalism several foreign heroes with ridiculous names were renamed Italian. So Audax became Marshal Rossi, Jungle Jim was called Geo, Mandrake and was forced to give up the Anglo-Saxon K and transformed into Mandrache, there is one that remembers that period of censorship, Gherardo Casini, director general of the Italian Press at the top ministry official, 1934-1940: "Was ... the moment emerged the need to eliminate from the newspapers for children everything that could be contrary to certain principles, especially the stories and figures too yellow hues, as well as, in general, everything that was opposed to a exaltation of the values  typical Italian: military, intellectual and artistic."

Paradoxically, the first hero in fascist uniform had British nationality, Victor's Adventure, created by William Booth. With an incredible operation of textual revision and with the simple change of some sections, the saga was printed in Italy with the title of the avant-garde Lucio. Firms in this intrepid protagonist, redundant nationalism, conveniently adapted, were published in the weekly Jumbo from December 1932. comes out in theaters in 1938 Luciano Serra, Pilot, the film in which Amedeo Nazzari gives substance to the idea of a hero adventurous pure race "Roman", and released the first issue on newsstands Dick Lightning, the only comic book character that otter
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:08:57 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »

Warning: topic is currently/will be locked!
Only admins and moderators can reply.

Why is this?

Anyways.....last of the articles on politics and what the effects they had on fummeti and the pubishers during and prior to WW II and post war Italy. Now onto the Bio's of the characters...and there are a lot more than I thought there would be,,,,

Richard
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »

Nice looking superheroines in La Dama and Miss Diavolo
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »

If I can scrap up the monies I am trying to buy a book of each one of these babes. By-the-by for you and Paw...go up a rant or two and check out the zip file called Italy Golden Age and take a peek. It's in Open Org but it works with Excel Vista and Windows 7 Excel. Let me know what you think. sheet 3 is still a work in progress. O never mind I'll just attach it here.

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »

Wow lots of work there. It would be nice to have the issues they appear in and then if they are on CB+
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »

Ah...I wish..........I tried to put as big a dent into that list as much as I could $1741.00 and some change later....you've seen some of the results here so far. The Italian section has grown. I have 33 Plutos adventures to post. I have 14 Simbar adventures to post. I have 24 Scarlet Executioner stories to post and 5 Piccola Mascherato stories to post. Plust the Mistero and the Ragar's that are already posted. I think that is it for runs. the rest will be single issues and there are a lot. Now mind you I bought 12 Heroic French books with Le Chat in them for next year and a few more books that have French characters for next year as well that came out of that money too. But alas I am mostly spent for the rest of this year I fear. But you never know. I am working on hyper-linking at least a pic to each of the entries when I am done so when you double click on the name a pic will come up if I do this right but I am not there yet and I am not that Excel friendly. Later dudes....

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2013, 12:53:14 AM »

Yeah I know what you mean. I have not kept track but $100 hear and there and here and there and here and there you get the point it adds up.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2013, 03:56:11 AM »

O I do I do.....IL Dama Di Picche N.-01 through N.-24 bought today by my wife. Got to love a woman like that!.....Now to work on Mis Diavolo....hehehehee

RB @ Home

Attached the winning photo
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »

Wow you are a lucky man
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »

This is getting even more exciting.  I've only heard of La Donna di Picche and it's  a strange format, I think.  Tall and narrow?
Nice cover on Il Falco Verde and never heard of thet one.  Can't wait for Le Chat, only ever seen a few panels.  If it'sthe same one.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »

Well here is one of the covers of one of the books that I bought,
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2013, 01:12:07 AM »

cool
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Machera Rossa & Rosso Cappa
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2013, 02:27:14 AM »

Machera Rossa & Rosso Cappa

Maschra Rossa & Rosso Cappa operated in the year 1936, January, until the end in December. What happened to them after that is a mystery. Maschera Rossa was a man hunted by the authorites as well as the underground mafia of whom he had made enemies of. Maschera Rossa was assisted by his ally Rosso Cappa the strong man. While Maschera Rossa was the brains, Rossa Cappa was definitely the brawn, and the pair were involved in many a bizzare case. Here are their cases from 1936:

January 1936
# 01 - The Man of many Faces = L'Uomo Dai Mille Volti
# 02 - The Jewels Of Lady Benthau = I Gioielli Di Lady Benthau
February 1936
# 03 - The Misadventures of Pringle = Le Disavventure di Pringle
# 04 - The Bank of Galveston Crime = Delitto della banca di Galveston
March 1936
# 05 - The Policeman # 13 = IL Policeman N.13
# 06 - Theft of a new kind = Un Furto di Nuovo Genere
April 1936
# 07 - The Secret OF Cagliostro = IL Segreto di Cagliostro
# 08 - The Invisible Enemy = IL Nemico Invisible
May 1936
# 09 - Inside the Plane = Il Corriere Aero
# 10 - The Red Triangle = IL TRriangolo Rosso
June 1936
# 11 - The Cave of Torture = La Caverna Delle Torture
# 12 - The Enigma of the Skyscraper = L'Enigma Del Grattacielo
# 13 - The Secret of Forced Labour = Il Segreto Dei Forzati
July 1936
# 14 - The Ghost Train = IL Treno Fantasma
# 15 - The Well of Crocodilles = Il Pozzo Dei Coccodrilli
# 16 - A Sensational Wedding = Un Matrimonio Sensazionale
August 1936
# 17 - The Island of Death = L'Isola della morte
# 18 - The Damned Tower = La Torre Maledetta
September 1936
# 19 - The Secret Passage = Il Passaggio segreto
# 20 - The Shooting of the Red Mask = La Fucilazione Della Maschera Rossa
October 1936
# 21 - I Misteri Del Castello Di Glesnor = The Mysteries Of The Castle Of Glesnor
# 22 - The Anderson Affair = L'Affare Anderson
November 1936
# 23 - Unknown (missing issue)
# 24 - House of Dracula = La Casa Degli Orrori
December 1936
# 25 - The Murders in Chinatown =  I Delitti della Citt
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:39:55 AM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2013, 09:47:13 PM »

cool
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Bob Star 1936
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »

Bob Star The Adveture Detective

# 1 The Green Idol = L'idolo Verde - 6-23-1946
# 2 The Bank Robbery = L'Assalto Alla Banca - 7-7-1946
# 3 The Secret of Dr. Flak = Il Segreto Del Dr. Flak - 7-14-1946
# 4 The Case of Milton-Dela = Il Caso Milton-Dela - 8-11-1946
# 5 The Black Gang = La Banda di Black - 8-18-1946
# 6 The Red Book = La Rubrica Rossa - 8-25-1946
# 7 The Chamber of Death = La Camera della Morte - 9-1-1946

A Synopsis:

Bob Star attempts to recover two million dollars in stolen bonds intended for allied warplanes, while international spies and ruthless gangster underworld struggle to acquire the bonds. Bob Star was an undercover policeman. With a single man on the force, his old friend Inspector Scott was absolutely sure what side he really was on, Bob began to perform the most dangerous assignments possible - the infiltration in the ranks of the gangsters, while seldom able to count on the support of the police expected. Bob worked alone at first, but then took a man called Ouchy Mugouchy. In the end, Ouchy and some friends, collectively known as The Three fabulous stars.

Case Comments:

1)
This fumetti had a new level of violence in the comic run but with or without serious violence, the stories were fast and exciting, and readers loved the fumetti - at least the lucky ones the area that they lived. Though it was a rising star in the comic medium, Nerbini characterized Bob in two books. And on October 18, 1938 has Universal Pictures (Tailspin Tommy, Tim Tyler's Luck), released in the USA, the first of the 13 episodes of the movie series Red Barry, and it produced no less than one star Buster Crabbe (Buck Rogers, Tarzan) as an actor. At first glance it may seem acceptable, that the movie was skirting the edge of Gould, which may have led to the demise of the strip. But most likely, as his assistant (who would go on to do the Believe it or not Ripley strip) Frehm Walter said in retrospect, it was his cavalier attitude toward work habits and deadlines and it was contractual difficulties between Gould and King Features that arose, and also it took the union as a keyword to remove the strips. Red Barry was last seen in 1939 due to poor book circulation.

Red Barry has become difficult to assemble solid leads for comic book collectors, and therefore difficult to reprint, despite its high quality and audience response. Fantagraphics Books (also reissued Prince Valiant, Popeye, and many others), Red Barry sequences have been printed twice during the year 1980 - then the first in a series in 1985 Nemo, the Classic Comics Library, and the second in a book in 1989. Those two editions constitute the only glimpse modern readers have had of one of comics' obscure classics.

2)
Bob Star was the Italian version of Red Barry, the American comic book by Will Gould (1911-1984) was American cartoonist known for his comic Red Barry. Distributed by King Features Syndicate, Gould strip was about a two fisted undercover cop Red Barry, which began on Monday 19th of March, Introduced in 1934 as one of several strips (and no relation) to compete with Dick Tracy by Chester Gould. Historical Comics Rick Marshall called Gould a man who has "one of the most individualistic strips of all time." In 1929, Gould began as sports cartoonist for the Bronx News, where he drew the cartoon "Felix O'Fan". For the New York Graphic he drew "Asparagus Tips". He moved to California in 1930, freelancing for several papers before creating Red Barry, who he wrote and drew from, 1934-1938. Red Barry, Gould called his line style clean and fresh. His assistant was Walter Frehm on the strip. Contractual disputes between Gould and King Features brought Red Barry to finish in 1939.

3)
Size and Dimensions - have been altered by me to give maximum viewing for you all. These are the original covers you will see under the Tour of Italy: Bob Star. These covers have not been altered by myself and they are as I found them.

Next: 1937/1938
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:10:55 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
L 'Uomo Mascherato 1937
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »

L 'Uomo Mascherato 1937.

A Phantom swept over Italy in 1937. The summer saw L'Uomo Mascherato (The Masked Man) smash into crime. That Fantasma is....

L 'Uomo Mascherato (The Masked Man) is, of course, naturally endowed with psycho-physical properties at the limit of superhuman. in addition to excel in all physical characteristics such as resistance to the speed and accuracy in evidence in all psychological characteristics, such as intelligence, logic and intuition, and all moral qualities such as honesty, loyalty and courage, stoic, and can also have extreme concentration and self-control, and is capable of withstanding shock, pain, injuries and wounds which would be fatal to other mortals,and he resists all this unblinking. In that sense, the Masked Man does not belong to the category of superheroes, with no special supernatural forces, but expresses his heroism by Charisma due to his ability to deal with the difficulties and thus defeat the enemies and adversaries.

The Shadow Walker is equipped with two Colt 45, which of course uses the same time and without missing a shot. He also has two rings with two functions, which mark the good and bad characters, that indelible stamp as a warning to the other characters in the stories. One that leads to the middle finger of the left hand, is a design resembling a crimson cross offers slight pressure on the arm or hand of the positive signs that visitors to the area, a kind of laissez-brand with your approval and that the person who is under his protection. The other is the stylized figure of a skull, which bears on the middle finger of the hand of the favorite punch, the right, which gives it a shame scar on the face of the enemy that strikes typically with a direct or an uppercut to the jaw or cheekbone.

The Masked Man has a real pair of helpers: a wolf named Devil (Diablo), a horse called Hero (Hero). L 'Uomo Mascherato has a special charisma to tame animals and control almost all species, whether wild derivatogli possible by the fact that he was born and lived in contact with nature in the jungle equipped Tree house up to 12 years. In his stories, in fact, received aid from a variety of animals such as elephants, lions, dolphins, monkeys and others, and has successfully managed shows how dangerous tigers, Sharks, snakes,
crocodiles and others can be.

L 'Uomo Mascherato has a small island, Eden, where he taught the most disparate and incompatible animal species to live in peace with each other and with humans. In jungle history, as The Ghost, The Walking Dead, or even The Shadow, but also as the Man Who Cannot Die, in the simplicity and ingenuity of the indigenous inhabitants of the forest, He is apparently in circulation for generations. In fact, this is due to a dynasty of Masked Men who inherit the same role in turn. When inheritance of old age or killing, action is required and is replaced by a new "L' Uomo Mascherato" (usually a son or a cognate), and they must pronounce the formula coined by Prime Masked Man Original, or the "Oath of the Skull": "I dedicate my life to the destruction of all forms of piracy, greed and cruelty. My children and their children will follow in my footsteps". Frequently the strips have had adventures set in the past, focusing on the ancestors of the Masked Men by a Roman numeral in indication of the genealogy. As a result the strips have found themselves along the timeline of historical periods between about 1500 and the near future, with the example, in some European publications, He (or She) appeared as children of the future dressed as executioners.

L 'Uomo Mascherato is a bitter enemy to the pirate history in general and especially in the dark circle of Singh, notorious pirates, and apparently Asians. For pirates, in fact, comes directly from its origin and the reasons for it seems that in the navigator of the sixteenth century ship, which will then be the first Masked Man was hit, robbed and abused by the pirates on board, and thrown off the coast of Bangalia, He then vowed the perpetrators of this struggle and crime and his personal war to future generations. "Sometimes the Shadow Walker leaves his jungle and drives like an ordinary person." If it works,  He is wearing a fedora, sunglasses and a trench coat, it seems that is Mr. Walker standard attire. Traditionally the Walker name is explained by a footnote on the page The Ghost Who (which means ghost walks accompanied - often translated as the Shadow of walking, English riding means feet), although some versions of the story of the man in disguise, that Walker would propose be wearing the hero the name of the first man.

The First Original L' Uomo Mascherato arrives in 1536 or so, as the sole survivor of a pirate boarding by Singh, on the shores of Bengalia. This is the twenty-year old Christopher Walker, who made a home in the jungle, and knows the Bandar pygmies and He makes his dwelling in a cave shaped like a skull, which then becomes the abode of all his progeny of Masked Men. All Shadow Walker's were equipped with firearms and a uniform that represents a demon and that masks the face that is indigenous to fight crime anonymously, and keep these all in a large dressing room with equipment of all previous L' Uomo Mascherato's.

In the bowels of the cave of the skull, after each adventure, a report is written on large tomes like a memorial, or record, to be left to posterity, so books like that are kept in a large hall shelved inside the cave. They train a successor to replace them when the L' Uomo Mascherato's by length, reaches 50 years of age or because in service being injured or killed. So the heir from time to time thus takes up service to the age of 25 following in the footsteps of the antecedent Masked Man, burying him when the time comes in a hall in the underground cavern of the skull, which houses all the tombs of the dynasty. And so the legend of the Shadow Walker continues and has been handed down over the centuries, L' Uomo Mascherato can continue to pursue justice with continuity through the ages to the present day (originally it was the twentieth centuries, but now the twenty-first century), and beyond. One can postulate that there have been 20 Masked Men in the role of the L' Uomo Mascherato over the course of 500 years.

The armed wing paramilitary of the Masked Man is the Jungle Patrol (Jungle Patrol). The patrol was founded by L 'Uomo Mascherato XVI with the help of a former pirate Barbarossa and the Spirit said that he is the commander; what happened was, that one was killed by treachery, within the L 'Uomo Mascherato XIV Patrol, and this was devised as a resulting command to make it anonymous and unknown. Orders are now received by the Patrol COmmander, and since then mysteriously in a vault of his home, that is secretly reached from The Masked Man, to withdraw it or leave it dispatches information and orders, through a secret passage accessible via and well not far from the city.

Over the course of more than seventy years of stories, the legend of the Masked Man has grown and been enriched by becoming one of the raison d'etre of the series of Masked Men and contain mysterious and bizarre coincidences of fate that suggest the existence of inevitability. The myth of the L 'Uomo Mascherato highlights the immortal character compared to many costumed heroes who personified the fight against crime at different times, and helped to keep the appeal to date. A lot of focus on basic elements, plots and themes of the series on the persistence of the legend of the Masked Man, and many stories contain mysterious and strange coincidences of fate, which suggest the existence of an element of inevitability in the legend of the mind that more than a normal person could do in costume, but a redestined fate of sorts.

The Phantom (aka The Masked Man [L 'Uomo Mascherato]) began as a daily strip February 17, 1936. It was written by Lee Falk and initially even pencils and / or sketches were his. The first artist was Ray Moore was masked. At the time, Lee Falk was already the creator of the successful daily strip Mandrake the Magician. Ray Moore was previously assistant to the designer of Mandrake Phil Davis. A version of the Sunday strip masked Man was added May 28, 1939. During the war, Falk became a member of the Office of War Information (Information Office of war). It is rumored that during this period the Masked Man strip was at least partially written by Alfred Bester, but this is still pretty discussed by those who say that Bester wrote instead Mandrake. Ray Moore also participated actively in the war and during that time he left the strip to his assistant Wilson McCoy. Moore returned after the war and worked occasionally at the strip until 1949, when he left completely in the hands of McCoy. Under the management of McCoy the strip was at its height, appearing in thousands of newspapers around the world. McCoy suddenly disappeared in 1961.

Carmine Infantino and Bill Lignante (who would later draw the Masked Man stories directly for comic magazines) replaced him before finding a successor in Sy Barry. During the early years of Barry, he and Falk modernized the strip, and laid the foundations for what is considered the modern look of Man in disguise. Barry would continue working on the strip for over 30 years before retiring in 1994. George Olesen, for a long time assistant Barry, remained on the strip as the author of pencils. The new inker for the daily strip was Keith Williams. The Sunday strip for some time was inked by Eric Doescher until Fred Fredericks, the designer of Mandrake the Magician, became the regular inker in 1995.Lee Falk went on to co-write the Phantom (and Mandrake) until his death, March 13, 1999. After that, King Features Syndicate began to cooperate with European comic publisher Egmont, publisher of the Swedish magazine Fantomen that contains the original stories in comics since 1963. Fantomen writers Tony De Paul and Claes Reimerthi alternated as writers of the daily strip after the death of Falk. Today De Paul is the regular writer. Some of the stories have been adapted from stories originally published in comic magazines Fantomen. In 2000, Olesen and Fredericks retired from the Sunday strip which was taken over by Graham Nolan. A few years later, Olesen and Williams left the daily strip. A new designer was found in Paul Ryan, who was then already a veteran of Man masked after working on the comic stories Fantomen for a couple of years. The first daily strip Ryan appeared in early 2005.

The Phantom (L 'Uomo Mascherato aka The Masked Man) is a fictional character created adventures of the American writer Lee Falk. The series, which chronicles their adventure began in black and white strips in the American New York Journal 17 February 1936, followed by a colored band on Sunday in May, 1939. The masked man is well known that the first "superhero in tights," the first comic book avenger wear traditional dress to be what is the domain of superheroes, of which it is to be a prototype.

L 'Uomo Mascherato had three adventures in 1937 and these were those adventures:

1 - L'Uomo Mascherato     Maggio 1937 
2 - Nel Regno dei Singh    Agosto 1937
3 - La Banda Aerea          Novembre 1937

Next IL Nemico Invisible 1937 & Beyond
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:38:21 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
International Golden Age Facebook Page
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »

Check this out a International Golden Age Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/633534696677314/#!/groups/633534696677314/

RB @ Work
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:33:44 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »

Not being a member of Facebook, I can see bugger all.  I'd love to add to the views but I'm really suspicious of signing up. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2013, 08:14:28 PM »

Re. L'Uomo Mascherato, there was a 5 issue series recently in Italy. I think I have 4 of them, I think.  Nice looking comics.  Your article mentions Egmont and, although I have samples of the Scandinavian mags, I don't read Scandinavian languages and that's why I'm so keen on the Frew issues as they re-print them in English.  Very good most of them are too.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »

Yes I have seen them on Ebay up for sale and they are not very expensive. But I am saving my dollars for my next run at ebay in October. I am working some overtime in August (done) and September (just around the corner) and once I gather that cash up and split it up with the Missus (she's got to get her bit you know) I'll have about 300 US to go back and finish up on Italy books. So that's my current plan unless things change and they offer me more overtime at work.

On an aside note. Seems that Terry's Facebook experiment didn't work out too well. Seems I was a bit too aggressive for Terry trying to build membership quickly and 1 mind you one twit complained and Terry threw a fit and is now closing both his facebook pages. Go figure. So what, who cares. Sigh. The man is impossible I tell you. LoL. Anyways, I tried. Some things (as well as people) once broke just can't be fixed.

Take care.

Richard
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2013, 10:23:45 PM »

So what's new? Well I bought 1936 L'UOMO DALLA MASCHERA ROSSA L'uomo dai mille volti *Rivista BELLINI N
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.