in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Ebay Finds and Buys -post your pointers here

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

topic icon Author Topic: Ebay Finds and Buys -post your pointers here  (Read 84395 times)

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Ebay Finds and Buys -post your pointers here
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »

If I'm not mistaken most of the contents of Super Comics consists of comic strip reprints that still have underlying copyright protection such as Dick Tracy and Little Orphan Annie.  We could probably host a heavily edited version featuring the cover and the Magic Moro story.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2013, 05:29:32 AM »

It would be nice if someone got this one shot issue of STAR STUDDED COMICS, published by Cambridge House. Currently, CB+ only has 33 pages of this 128 page comic.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Star-Studded-Comics-nn-Cambridge-House-1945-GOOD-/350637430904?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51a39e9878&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1139
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2013, 11:09:31 AM »

Thanks for the pointer. Hopefully someone has the money and interest to buy and scan.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »

If the Buy Now price for that Star Studded Comic was lower, I'd probably buy it myself. But I've spent too much money in the last two months on vintage swag and it's about time I pulled back. But it's awfully tempting to buy all those goodies on eBay and other online sites. And reading some of the comics on this site just makes me want all the more to get the actual comics (as I've done in a few instances).
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »

Just got a copy of DOLL MAN no. 2 from Lonestar. It's only in good condition, but it's nice to look at the art--which on CB+ is only available from fiche. This is one of the few issues where Reed Crandall appears to have done all the interior art on the Doll Man stories--which is the chief reason I wanted to get a copy.

Having gotten several orders from eBay or other online sources lately, I have a few grumbles. One is that it's really impossible to tell what you're going to get when the thing actually arrives. I've never paid for a CGC comic yet, but even these seem to be graded in an unpredictable manner--I was looking at a copy of FEATURE COMICS on eBay the other day, which in its CGC slab was graded 9.2, but from the scans it was clear that there were markings and abrasions on the cover which should surely have indicated a lesser grade.

Whenever I actually get orders that are in better condition than I expected, it's a great surprise--but also a rare one.

Another grumble is that, since I'm in Canada, many of my orders are coming by international shipping. Even though I always pay for the shipping up front, there's sometimes an additional amount that I'm expected to pay on delivery. But it's impossible to predict this additional charge. Most international shipments come with no COD charge--but since I always factor in the declared shipping costs when making my decisions to buy, I now wonder if I should calculate an additional 25% to cover any unexpected charges at my end .

I'm now expecting an order from Japan and I'm anxious over the amount, if any, I'll have to pay on delivery in addition to the shipping I already paid (which was almost as much as the actual price for the book I ordered).
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2013, 01:54:26 AM »

Shipping costs has kept me from buying many books even within the US. I always buy lowest grade for scanning so I am never really disappointed with the condition unless a centerfold is missing. Most have comped the issues if the centerfold was out.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2013, 02:05:40 AM »

The problem with lower grades is that they tend to fall apart unless you're very careful with them. With newer comics, priced lower, I don't mind that so much--but it's a different story with golden age books, for me. I may try to scan DOLL MAN 2, but I might do it when (and if) I get some more orders in. I'm just not sure if I can pull it off without hurting the book.

Even when I order lower grade books--I always hope that the book will be in a little better condition.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2013, 02:25:11 AM »

Well I often use a document feeder. So I tear the book apart and feed it through. The books usually cost $2 or less so It does not matter. If you want a top book like DM2 scanned unharmed you could send it to Rangerhouse for his "professional" scanning set up.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2013, 02:29:57 AM »

Yeah, if it was only a two dollar book I'd have no problem with scanning it. I've thought about getting it professionally scanned, but that's why I say I'm waiting to get more comics on order (that I might want scanned) before I come to a decision.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2013, 05:51:12 AM »

Hi Jimm,
If you are in the USA - Rangerhouse, a scanner of some note, uses a professional level scanner and is willing to scan books for others if wanted.  His scanner is much easier on books taking digital photos without the need of forcing a comic flat on a scanbed.
You can see his wonderful machine at this link - http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,4081.0.html

Rangerhouse is likely best know as the key scanner in the JVJ Project. 'JVJ' has provided over 1,900 comics for scanning and sharing on CB+ and DCM.

-Yoc
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:26:50 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2013, 05:28:40 AM »

You're getting a bit carried away with the numbers, Yoc.
It's 1,900 and counting. 13,000 is almost as many comics as can be found on CB+. Let's stay real.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2013, 10:27:35 PM »

::)
Right, got ahead of ourselves there.

Fixed.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »

I've never paid for a CGC comic yet, but even these seem to be graded in an unpredictable manner--I was looking at a copy of FEATURE COMICS on eBay the other day, which in its CGC slab was graded 9.2, but from the scans it was clear that there were markings and abrasions on the cover which should surely have indicated a lesser grade.

Here's the comic I was referring to, which has come up again for sale on eBay: FEATURE COMICS 104

Nothing against the seller, but I just don't understand how CGC comes up with these grades. I'm sure it's a very fine comic, but I don't see how it can be considered near mint. Examples like these make me question the whole CGC grading system. I wouldn't trust that any comic they grade is really in the condition indicated on the slab. And since you have to open the slab to find out--thus negating the grade--it seems like a dodgy system.

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2013, 05:07:11 PM »

Of course it's a dodgy system.  Apart from that, what is the point in having a comic you can't read?  There were some at the last Glasgow con and a lot of talk among the punters about the condition and how could you check without negating the grading.  Seems daft to me.  I bag my comics but bags can be opened and I do open them - it's all part of the fun, imo
Mind you, there are a couple of back issue dealers here whose grading is alleged to be "loose" at the least. But as the comics are in bags, you can make up your own mind.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »

Yes it's always seemed like a daft system to me, which is why I've never bought one of these slabs. Why buy something that instantly plummets in value as soon as you try to read it? And I buy comics to read 'em.

On the other hand, while most slabs are way way way over-priced, there seem to be a few that are priced at the equivalent value of normal non-slabbed copies. So in theory, all things being equal, I'd be open to buying those; however, if I can't even trust the grading system, maybe they aren't worth the bother.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2013, 11:08:07 PM »

I wonder how many slabbed books are missing centerfolds. I have bough a lot of books over the years only to find the centerfold missing. I have found most online dealers very willing to try to make it right. But at a con you can check the books out and should. No slabs for me.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2013, 03:57:07 AM »

Theoretically, Narf,
part of the slabbing involves a serious attempt at grading the book which, we all would hope, would notice a defect like a missing centerfold. Such a defect is supposed to be clearly noted on the condition portion of the grade label. Has anyone here purchased a CGC slabbed book with such a gross defect that went unremarked? Would love to hear about it.

I'm not one of the folk who wants to "read" my comics, but I sure want to look through them. And I agree that most CGC books are way overpriced, but supposedly it's the premium folks are willing to pay to "know" that they are getting the condition on the label. Which, again I agree, does seem to vary somewhat from grader to grader (or day to day, perhaps).

I've never bought a slabbed book either. My friend Bud Plant buys them occasionally and I love to watch him crack the seal and take the book out and page through it - just like it was a plastic bag. Overpriced, perhaps, but just a container after all.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2013, 11:17:25 AM »

I too would hope that such an defect would not go unnoticed but with the big differences in grades I have my suspicions that someone got sloppy, or worse bribed, because they figure no one will open it to know. I think the premium is only on really rare or on fine or better books. I have seen lower grade books offered for less than the cost of slabbing. After all if you know a $20 book is a 2 then the slab only verifies it is worth $20.
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2013, 06:53:28 PM »

Speaking as someone who has purchased numerous slabbed books... The slab is just a container like Jim said. I love cracking a slab open and pulling out a book from the 40s with white paper, as the label says, or holding in my hands a book that went from the original owner to the dealer who purchased the collection to CGC. Their grading, while not as consistent as I would like, is within a grade of the actual condition, 99 out of a hundred times. Grading is relative, and subjective, meaning that a defect that I personally can't see in any grade higher than a VG, someone else may consider allowable in Fine, and any grade is an assessment based on other books, and comparable defects, within the graders experience. CGC has screwed the pooch on a fair few books, but they've also graded well over a million of them, and have remained consistent enough to maintain a loyal customer base, and a decent reputation in the high end market.

Boiled down, CGC is good if you are buying a book for investment, or looking for a book of a minimum damage quotient. Also, in the event that they do miss a centerfold being gone, they are the Certified Guarantee Corporation, and they have historically been very good about backing up that guarantee when they have made an egregious mistake.

But, where they really shine, and the reason that the high end market loves them so, is in their restoration detection and disclosure. A PLOD (purple label of death) can and should mean the difference of thousands of dollars, and having a CGC Universal blue label on a high end book makes for extreme liquidity to those who love the books for their market value as much or more than their aesthetic and intrinsic value.

Basically, CGC is necessary in an online market environment, where you can't hold the book in hand and make paper quality and overall grade assessment yourself.

If all you're looking for is a reading copy in passable shape, no, they are probably not essential. But, if you like having nice books, with no hidden issues, and like to know about any restoration upfront, CGC is a fairly reliable barometer of whether or not the book will make you happy.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »

A bit off topic I'm sure......However....

I've been buying a lot of Italian comics (herafter known as Fumetti/Fummeto(s)) and I had a guy offer me the Ragar series #'s 1 through 53 @ 3.5 eruo and #'s 123 through 140 @ 3.5 eruo and if you check Ebay Italy individual pricing you'll find that to be a fair price. My problem is I've spent myself up to my current paypal limit (which once the bill rolls in my wifw will kill me! :-)) and sadly had to pass. Anone else interested let me know and I will forward the gentlemens email to you.

Richard
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »

I'll have to reload my PayPal account if I want to keep getting things off eBay. It was great when the Canadian dollar was going up in value in relation to the American dollar--it seemed like my money was increasing in value. Now that it's going the other way, my dollars are shrinking.

I had enough left in my account to buy a copy of THE FLASH ANNUAL off eBay the other day. I wanted to get Carmine Infantino's instructions on how to draw the Flash--which appeared in that comic. I have other books where this appears and I could always get this image off the internet, but as much as possible I like to have the thing itself. Plus this comic reprints the first appearance of Elongated Man--and I'm close to having every appearance of Ralph Dibny (up to but not including IDENTITY CRISIS), except for his first appearance.

And the seller is in Edmonton, so no worries about exchange rates and international shipping. I also checked out the seller's store and included in my purchase a Jimmy Olsen Giant and an issue of ADVENTURE COMICS featuring a classic LSH story, since the asking price wasn't very much for these.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »

I just got these from Bunkybrothers on ebay. Their buy it now is really high but they take reasonable offers of about a third of asking.
Here is a link in case anyone wants to look at what else they have to offer
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Golden-Age-193855-/66/m.html?item=261143308966&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_ssn=bunkybrothers

Fawcett's Funny Animals # 46, 1.0 FR
1   $4.00   $4.00
261143322265   Western Killers # 63, 1.5 FR/GD
1   $10.00   $10.00
261143314585   MERRY-GO-ROUND COMICS # 1, 0.5 PR missing 10 pages
1   $4.00   $4.00
350671278111   Enchanting Love # 2, 1.0 FR $4

From marvelguy60
CONFESSIONS OF THE LOVELORN #93 COVERLESS COMIC (300986033025)
$0.99
FIGHTIN' MARINES #38 SILVER AGE (390676047621)
$0.99
BILLY THE KID #53 SILVER AGE CHARLTON COMICS (390676051591)
$0.99
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »

My ebay buys since 9/27 ......so far

[DM2] TAURINIA ZAMORRO ALBI MIGNON SUPPL.ALBI VIAGGI E AVVENTURE NUMERO 13  [DM2] TAURINIA ZAMORRO ALBI MIGNON SUPPL.ALBI VIAGGI E AV... (370828582667)
Data vendita: 27/09/13
Codice della spedizione: -- EUR 9,99

Pagato con PayPal in data 2013-10-09. Spedito 09/10/13 Feedback non lasciato Feedback non ricevuto Lascia un commento di Feedback
Vendi questo oggetto
Altre azioni

[DM2] TAURINIA ZAMORRO ALBI MIGNON ALBI MIGNON NUMERO 76  [DM2] TAURINIA ZAMORRO ALBI MIGNON ALBI MIGNON NUMERO 76 (370828582513)
Data vendita: 27/09/13
Codice della spedizione: -- EUR 9,99

Pagato con PayPal in data 2013-10-09. Spedito 09/10/13 Feedback non lasciato Feedback non ricevuto Lascia un commento di Feedback
Vendi questo oggetto
Altre azioni

IL GRANDE MISTERIX n
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »

good going thanks Richard
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #174 on: October 14, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »

Not a problem guys, and that should pretty much rap up the majority of the books except for a few odds n ends here and there. Maybe by the end of the year the 6 or 7 books may get bought who knows but they are minor in comparison to the books I have now.

RB @ Home
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.