in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Ebay Finds and Buys -post your pointers here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

topic icon Author Topic: Ebay Finds and Buys -post your pointers here  (Read 84474 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Ebay Finds and Buys -post your pointers here
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2010, 11:48:39 AM »

The Jumbo is over $25 and I think it is too common to pay that much more IMHO it will eventually show up. The Challenger book is less likely IMHO. I am all about getting as many obscure gems as we can find. Same dealer has some AJAX horror books but way over priced. Much more popular than Challenger which is also why they will probably show up eventually or I will be able to snag a coverless copy for a couple of bucks
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »

Boy am I stupid. Missed it somehow that JVJ already has the Challenger book
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »

Boy am I stupid. Missed it somehow that JVJ already has the Challenger book

;D At least we have a shot of seeing it now!

B.
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »

Well, narf got me all excited about the ebay auction, and I got to looking at all the books that are out there for sale, all at deceptively low numbers...at least until you get to the last 60 seconds of the auction!

Carried away in all the excitement, I made my FIRST GOLDEN AGE PURCHASE! OK, maybe it wasn't a steal, and it IS already up on the site, but I want to hold ONE of these puppies in my hands.

So I won the auction for the Jumbo #74 for $20.  I am so...very...excited.  I also tried getting some others that aren't on the site, but things got too rich for me.  Coo Coo Comics and some others...I got smoked in the last few seconds of auction time.

great fun!
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »

Well, narf got me all excited about the ebay auction, and I got to looking at all the books that are out there for sale, all at deceptively low numbers...at least until you get to the last 60 seconds of the auction!

Carried away in all the excitement, I made my FIRST GOLDEN AGE PURCHASE! OK, maybe it wasn't a steal, and it IS already up on the site, but I want to hold ONE of these puppies in my hands.

So I won the auction for the Jumbo #74 for $20.  I am so...very...excited.  I also tried getting some others that aren't on the site, but things got too rich for me.  Coo Coo Comics and some others...I got smoked in the last few seconds of auction time.

great fun!

Congrats on the win! Is that Jumbo #74 better than what we have on site? If so...hint hint  ;D ;D ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »

Way to go builder. I saw the prices some of these went for and was surprised. You really never never know. I got my two issues of True Aviation over 60 years old in pretty darn good shape for only a buck each. JVJ has his $40 limit I have a lot of GA books most of which were less than $5 and many for a buck. So when you see all the narfstar books realize I am not rich just lucky to be at the right auction at the right time. BTW when I only pay a buck for a book I usually tear it apart and document feeder it. I figure my time is worth more than a buck. And the book is digitally preserved forever.
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2010, 05:03:12 PM »

great fun!

Congrats on the win! Is that Jumbo #74 better than what we have on site? If so...hint hint  ;D ;D ;D

B.

Oh, you betcha, boox! Darkmark does a really nice job, though, AND he seems to know how to locate fiche in-fills for any book that is incomplete...getting a c2c final product. A very nice touch.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2010, 12:58:05 PM »

It's not really a pointer as I won it, but in my ongoing mini-obsession about Nedor's Grim Reaper, I picked up a cheap GA reprint, which includes the ''Wonder Comics'' #2 origin of the Reaper.

From an old solicit of the comic:
ACG'S HEROES UNLIMITED #1
A special collection of never-before-reprinted Golden Age hero tales! Penned by the creator of Herbie the Fat Fury, Richard Hughes, these are some of his favorites taken from his personal collection. From Wonder Comics #2 comes the origin story of the Grim Reaper, along with The Commando Cubs by Bob Oskner, and the first story of Pilot Adventurer Cowboy Sahib by Leonard Starr (from Soldier of Fortune comics)! Shot from original proofs, this is by far the best Golden Age ACG collection yet! All this, plus a new Sam Glanzman super-hero cover (his first since Flyman in 1941). It's an event, don't miss it!
   b&w, 64pg   $5.95
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2010, 02:34:50 AM »

FYI - I just listed a collection of the Italian FANTAX comics from the 1940s on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150470962493

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Mysterious Adv 21
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2010, 11:52:05 PM »

Anybody collect these great precode horror gems here is one we need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190425067940&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »

While it wasn't an eBay find (I have trouble containing my enthusiasm when the price on a bid item takes off like a bottle rocket in the final minute of bidding), I did otherwise hit a motherload in a recent purchase.

I am a member over at Comic Collector Live, a combination collection database and marketplace. When it first opened, it was great place to in-fill my modern and Bronze Age collection gaps, but it is nicely maturing. One of my buddies there, Pat McCauslin, runs a shop with some depth of offerings.

On its way to me are:

Target Comics v4 #1
Captain Midnight #53
Battlefield Action #20
Real Clue Crime Stories v7 #11
and 5 issues of Daredevil ranging from 93 to 119.

Finally, I will try my hand a scanning (I have done book covers before, but never full books), and get to find out what that struggle with the binding is like.

To say that I am drooling in anticipation would be fair.   ;D
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2010, 01:07:59 PM »

On its way to me are:

Target Comics v4 #1
Captain Midnight #53
Battlefield Action #20
Real Clue Crime Stories v7 #11
and 5 issues of Daredevil ranging from 93 to 119.

:o ;D :o :D :o ;) :o :) :o
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »

FYI - I just listed a collection of the Italian FANTAX comics from the 1940s on eBay.

The buyer got it for a steal, Jim.  :'(
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »

I love opening those kind of packages builder. Depending on condition and company the spine can be a real problem. I like low condition books so if the spine splits I do not care. I would not want to scan my Harvey Hits #3 (first Richie Rich comic)
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »

I think these will all be lower quality books, narf. I wish I were Richie Rich. I won't be too concerned with preservation given that they are low grade. I am more interested that they are reasonably complete.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2010, 12:52:56 AM »

The buyer got it for a steal, Jim.  :'(

Well, nobody else was interested. He paid more in POSTAGE (to Switzerland, no less) than he did for the book!

Such is the story of most of my eBay offerings, bb. I'm trying to raise some money to print the next issue of ImageS and people keep stealing from me. Three of four items didn't even get a bid and I pulled two others before they could be stolen, too. hell will 'em, I say.

Still I try....

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2010, 02:41:04 AM »

You never know what to expect on ebay Jim. You got great money and more than expected for you Zap a while back but could not get a decent bid for you erotoscope. Maybe you should put it on Heritage.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2010, 03:00:14 AM »

Actually, Narf,
I sold the Erotoscope today for $566, which make me totally happy. I picked it up in Europe in 1973 as a curiosity for probably $10 or less, and had no emotional attachment to it. I'd be very happy to dig up another dozen such items in my collection. I'm heading upstairs right now to look for them. Wish me luck.

ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »

I think about the massive collection that I have (nowhere near as precious as yours, JVJ...mostly Silver/Bronze/Modern), and think about what a burden it would be were I to leave dispensing of it my heirs.  It would be a sweaty couple days of lifting and a strained back or two just to get it out the door.

I thought about selling some off, but I see just what JVJ is going through...the crap shoot of whether there are any parties out there at auction time who would pay a respectable $ for the stuff.

I have thought about donating the collection as a whole to my alma mater. I learned that Brown University boasts of their collection rivaling any private collection in the US, and figure my school might be interested in starting their own (or adding to it).

I see Heritage out there as a possiblity, and know, as a last resort, one of the bigger buyers would swoop in to offer pennies on the dollar.  That thought kinda makes me sad.

Its all early thinking, but the reality is that I spend much of my time these days with my digital collection, and the paper has taken a back seat.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
cloomis has some great stuff
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2010, 03:08:43 AM »

OK gang I am bidding on these so please do not go wild.

Blue Beetle 19 This one I really want my max bid is $13.13
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390223443275&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Captain Atom 3
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160463471457&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I would like this one but if it goes over my max of $11.13 someone else please get and scan.

Punch 17
I would like this one but mainly to scan
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160463474421&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

mixed
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390223453919&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Getting it to scan the Air Force. Feel free to bid. I would like the Flying Aces if the winner wants to sell it for a buck

Here are some others we need if someone wants to get to scan
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160463464575&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160463481606&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2010, 04:09:04 AM »

Once more I'll try to drum up some interest in my eBay listings.
First up is a 1969 Marvelmania Club Kit with membership card, Marvelmania Magazine (the original 16-pager) #1, Marvelmania Messenger, decals, Mad Money, and more.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-1969-Marvelmania-Club-Kit-mag-Kirby-Steranko-/150476201979

Second is an UNPUBLISHED page of Alfredo Alcala ORIGINAL "Voltar" art. It appeared, in revised form, in Magic Carpet comics #1 from 1977.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfredo-Alcala-Original-Art-Unpublished-Voltar-Page-/150476223108

Even if you aren't personally interested, perhaps you know someone who might be. Any effort to promote the auctions will be greatly appreciated.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2010, 05:17:27 AM »

Nice stuff Jim. Really like the Marvelmania stuff. Seeing as my airconditioner just went out in 95+ weather and I have to pay to have it fixed tomorrow I am not spending any money that I do not have to.
I am sitting here sweating.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.