in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Fletcher Hanks

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Fletcher Hanks  (Read 12684 times)

bix313

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bix313
message icon
Fletcher Hanks
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:17:34 PM »

Sorry for the double post (I posted a similar note over at "Introduce Yourself"), but I am getting kinda desperate.

Hi y'all,

I am a cartoonist and editor of the Eisner Award winning "I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks". I am now working on a second volume of this surprisingly popular anthology which, when combined with Volume I, will comprise, "The Complete Fletcher Hanks".

However, I need some help.

I am now down to missing a final three Hanks stories. These stories are:

Fantomah from Jungle Comics #5
Fantomah from Jungle #11
Whirlwind Carter from Daring Mystery #5

These Fletcher Hanks books could only be made possible through the help of collectors such as yourselves: collectors willing to share high-res scans of their valuable comics.

Those who contribute get an acknowledgment in the published book, a couple of copies and (for what its worth) my undying gratitude!

Hot tips and leads appreciated.

Best to all!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Fletcher Hanks
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »

As I mentioned in your other post try looking at Witty #1:
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=3634

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

bix313

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »

thanks, Yok.

Witty #1 is a reprint of a story from Fight Comics with the hero's name, Big Red McLane, whited-out and changed to Ted!

...and I've got it!
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »

I have Jungle 5 & 11 here, bix,
I can't help if your deadline is near, but contact me via email (jim@jvjpubs.com) to schedule something.

ip icon Logged

PeterC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:06 AM »

thanks, Yok.

Witty #1 is a reprint of a story from Fight Comics with the hero's name, Big Red McLane, whited-out and changed to Ted!

...and I've got it!

I documented the differences at the GCD... "Reprinted with changes from Big Red McLane story in Fight Comics. Changes include: Psuedonym of writer changed. Red wears a hat in the original story, it's been doctored out in Ted's story. All of the speech bubbles have been expanded to give the text more breathing room. Page 2 has some interesting detail added in the trees and path at the bottom of the page, as well as speech bubbles added for the attackers. There are speech bubbles added in a number of places. In the last panel the text "We better get that timber cut before another war starts!" is replaced with "We better get that timber cut before we tangle with another gang!". The difference of course is that Fight 7 came out just before WWII and Witty 1 came out just as it was ending." (the info I put at the GCD also has a note that the info on that it was a reprint came from Michael T. Gilbert at http://goldenagecomics.co.uk.)

Peter
ip icon Logged

bix313

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 12:46:27 AM »

Wow!

I wasn't going to go into all that detail here but I am glad that you did, Peter! Great work!

Now, who can help me find that final elusive story from Daring Mystery #5?

thanks,

-Paul
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:27:21 AM »

Paul, it's YOC with a C.
Glad you got Witty ok.

If you do finally get to scan any of JVJ's books I trust you'll be sure to upload a c2c scan of the book here too right?
After all if someone else were to get those issues to scan that's what they would do for the cause.
:)
(Heck did you only scan the Hanks stories from the books used in v1?  Some of those issues have never been scanned beyond fiche scans.  Fantastic Comics desperately needs paper scans!  If you've got any we'd LOVE to see them shared here!!)

I'm certainly looking forward to v2 of the title.  Are you going to try and delve anymore into Hank's real life like you did in v1?  The mystery of just what happened to to him after he left his family high and dry is intriguing.  He didn't last long in comics - what did he do after he left them?
I'm sure it's a long shot on finding any of this info but those were the questions that came to my mind as I finished reading v1.

Good luck with the project and please keep us updated on developments here!  You've got an audience here rooting for your continued success on the subject.

-YOC
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:12:16 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

bix313

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:13:38 AM »

YoC  (and others),

Thanks for your enthusiasm for this cockamamie project.

Unfortunately I only got scans of the Hanks tales (and, brother, let me tell you it tweren't easy), but I will root among my own meager collection one of these days to see what I can find for the gang that has not already been downloaded.

As for more info about Hanks' post-comic book life, I am afraid to say that every alley has led to an abrupt dead-end. The guy just dropped out and out and out.

By the way, this goldenagecomics project is one of the greatest sites on the internet. Anytime I want to avoid real work I come right over here and troll. It's swell!!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:30:46 PM »

:D
Yep, one can get lost in here for hours, heck, days on end!

Just finding Hanks Jr was a great stroke of luck for you and us.  From what I've read in your book and an online article he was a real HERO and proves that one can move beyond the pitfalls of having a dispicable and abusive parent to achieve wonderful things.

V1 and your Hanks site shows that Hanks Sr wasn't a big a 'hack' as some would say.  He had talent when he wasn't just trying to churn out pages to make a fast buck.  It's a darn shame nothing more of his personal works remained but hardly surprising considering.  If his family didn't save them who would?  Perhaps but highly unlikely his correspondence school might have more but that one piece is a thrill to see and again shows more talent than most would expect while also still using his typical faces to humourous effect.

Paul, if you've got Fantagraphic's ear please tell them SOMEONE should be doing a Matt Baker coffee table book like their Innocence and seduction : the art of Dan DeCarlo.  The Alter Ego issue from 2005 only hints at all his work.  Talk about a ground breaking artist with a fascinating personal history and a lovely body of work.  Pun Very intended!   ;) 

-YoC
ip icon Logged

bix313

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »

I have a bunch of his Correspondence Course drawings that will appear either in the next book or on my website when it gets a revamp. I am also in the process of tracking down some other even MORE obscure Hanks work (if such a thing is possible).

But right now, gang, what I need more than anything else is a really good scan or set of photos of the Whirlwind Carter story from Daring Mystery #5. You'll get your name in the book along with several copies, heaps of gratitude, good karma points, and a nice original drawing by me (for whatever its worth!).

I know that SOMEone must be willing to share this story with the world.

Is it YOU???
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »

Ohh, sounds Great Paul!!
:D
ip icon Logged

hmendryk

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: hmendryk
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »

Wow!

I wasn't going to go into all that detail here but I am glad that you did, Peter! Great work!

Now, who can help me find that final elusive story from Daring Mystery #5?

thanks,

-Paul

Paul,

I loved your book and if I would be glad to help you with other Hanks stories. But my understanding is that Daring Mystery #5 is under copyright protection by Marvel.

Harry Mendryk
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »

People,
Anyone wanting to help Paul find this story - please contact him OFFLIST using the Personal Message link under his name.  The word balloon icon.

Any scans will NOT be going up on the GAC site if that needs to be said.   ::)

I'm sure Paul only wants it for research reasons and if he does include it in his book I'm betting Fantagraphic's lawyers, etc will have gotten some kind of permission from Marvel before hand.

Paul and Fanta are not idiots.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »

At least Paul has some idea of how to work WITH us fans to produce his book rather then against us.

Unlike some people  >:( !

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 12:20:13 AM »

The other thread aside, that Marvel owns Daring Mystery will make the task of reprinting easier, if only because Paul or his publisher can try to get clearance before pursuing the scan.

The worst thing for a project like this is to gather all the materials and THEN find out somebody owns the rights to part of it.  The closer you are to publication, the more the lawyers like to rake you over the coals in the contract...
ip icon Logged

bix313

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »

I have no idea to whom Nigel is referring, but I have said it before and I'll say it again: this book was started as a fanboy labor-of-love and it only has succeeded due to generous fans such as yourselves who love comics, collecting, and have been willing to share their treasures.

Many thanks to all for your continued support...but I STILL NEED THAT FINAL DAMN  STORY!!!!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 09:50:45 PM »

Have you tried contacting Marvel directly?
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 10:26:16 PM »

Marvel really is probably your best bet, especially considering that you'll have to deal with them for rights clearance, anyway.  But more importantly, they might already have a copy in their library that they're willing to share for the project.

But I understand the completeness feeling regardless of permission.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »

I probably shouldn't volunteer someone else's time, Paul, but you might try getting in touch with Bud Plant to see if he has the issue and would be willing to get it scanned. He's a big comics fan and might just have what you need.
ip icon Logged

Mr. Izaj

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Mr. Izaj
message icon
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 03:02:20 AM »

Looking at Fletcher Hanks' work, it makes me wonder if he ever did any artwork for anything affilated with the Works Progress Administration (WPA). I ask that knowing that he once painted murals for some wealthy induviduals during the 1920's. And also his work in comics reminds one at times of block prints that could have been done for the WPA.
ip icon Logged

bix313

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »

A WPA muralist?

Intriguing idea. I will pursue and let you know if anything turns up.

Checking in with Bud Plant is also a good lead.

You guys are smokin'!!!

thanks,
-p.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »

Do you have any specific WPA works in mind?  I've seen a few, and to my untrained eye, they seem vary wildly in style (unsurprisingly).  I'd be interested in seeing which seem Hanks-ish to you.  We might even be able to backtrack and find the participants.
ip icon Logged

bix313

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »

I just checked a fairly extensive list of WPA muralists and a quick scan revealed no Fletcher Hanks or aliases that I am familiar with.

However, it appears that Mac Raboy (he of Capt. Marvel Jr. fame) worked for the WPA at some point!

Check it out:

http://www.wpamurals.com/wpabios.html
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 03:46:30 PM »

Interesting link, thanks Paul.
:)
ip icon Logged

bix313

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »

For the past several months I have had a complete set of Fletcher Hanks stories except for one single elusive tale from Daring Mystery #5. For some reason this particular issue is extraordinarily rare. Frankly, I had just about given up hope.

Foolish mortal!

Thanks to a generous West coast collector and Mr. William Parker for coming forward with a nice crisp scan ready for publication in, "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!"

Rumblings have sounded in some quarters that Volume II of The Complete Fletcher Hanks will be a diluted version of Volume I which has been misperceived as a Best-Of Collection. Volume II will contain stories that equal if not surpass many of the best tales from Volume I. In fact, the final missing story from Daring Mystery #5 is one of the all-time greats as shown in the crackerjack first page attached.

Nothing can now stop me from my plan to overtake the planet!

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.