in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 191 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

New categories added

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: New categories added  (Read 14008 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
New categories added
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:39:57 AM »

Just a note for those who may not have noticed. There is now a Toby category with a Tales of Horror subcategory. GI Joe has been added as a subcategory of Ziff-Davis. Subcategories also added to Parents Magazine.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:38:54 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: New categories added
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:15:43 AM »

That's great news Narstar, I would hope it continues with other publishing companies in making it easier to find them. Thanks.

Geo
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:48:17 AM »

Well there is more involved than you might guess Geo.
Toby and  Dell likely shouldn't be up at all given the headaches they cause our poor PD status checkers Aussie and JCOLAG.  With so many licensed titles they are a huge pain in the butt that some would say isn't worth all the extra time involved in getting it sorted.
We all owe Aussie and JCOLAG a big thanks for the time they've put into the site trying to keep it strictly PD only.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 02:49:08 AM »

The only disadvantage that I see is with the upload category. The more categories and subcategories the harder it is to find where to put them in that little window. I hope that Serj finds a way to make it clearer or at least in alphabetical order. It is currently in the order in which the categories were added which is not much help.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:50:56 AM »

I do not think that Toby will be much of a problem with the note about what is not allowed. I think most of the mods can keep track and not approve any if they show up or easily remove if they do. Dell is another story.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »

the headaches they cause our poor PD status checkers Aussie and JCOLAG.

Hey, why I gotta be capitalized?

And don't worry about causing me headaches, at least.  I haven't gotten around to scanning the excessive pile of comics I've gathered, so at least I get to contribute, some.

But yes, with licensed titles, the answer too often ends up "I don't know."  While the book itself is public domain, a story inside could be adapted from a comic strip run, radio show, or some other source that IS still under copyright, which is just as bad as if the book had been renewed in the first place.

--John
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:35:23 PM by jcolag »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »

I figure you're more apt to notice if I capitalized it John.... and I was right!  ;)
:P
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »

Ack--It's a trap!  Abort!

Hm?  Oh.  Sorry, office hours flashback...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 04:03:53 AM »

To Superior and Story
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 05:02:42 AM »

The only disadvantage that I see is with the upload category. The more categories and subcategories the harder it is to find where to put them in that little window. I hope that Serj finds a way to make it clearer or at least in alphabetical order. It is currently in the order in which the categories were added which is not much help.

If you type the name of the publisher like "Charlton"  it will jump to that spot in the list.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:03 AM »

Hi Jon,
Narf is actually referring to process we moderators have to use to add a book into a publisher/title category.  The list you see on the site makes perfect sense.  But the list we have to use to add books is NOT in alphabetical order.  It shows up in the order categories were added to the site - which was random because we didn't know about the problem and new ones were added when we felt we had enough issues to warrant a new category.  The result is it take longer and longer to find things as we add more categories.  Hopefully the software maker will fix this glaring bug in a future update.  *fingers and toes crossed!*

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: slingsla
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:14:54 PM »

Is this the same GI Joe as the Hasbro trademark?  Can't wait to check it out...
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »

Is this the same GI Joe as the Hasbro trademark?  Can't wait to check it out...

Sadly, no, it isn't anywhere close to the same thing as the Hasbro characters.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 12:02:41 AM »

I would not say sadly no. The GA Joe had a decent run and had its own appeal.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 12:12:13 AM »

The GA G.I. Joe was the tough one. Not the silly toys they have today. It went from "G.I. Joe blasts the enemy hoard with round after earth shattering round of his blazing hot bazooka!" to "Joey saunters over to Destro and quips 'Desty, that blazer is Faaaabulous! You must dish!' Giggling with glee, Destro gives Joe a light hearted slap. 'Silly! You know I made this with my be-dazzler'"
ip icon Logged

skybandit

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: skybandit
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 01:17:46 AM »

The G.I. Joe cartoon HAS to be the WORST example of psychobabble overcoming common sense in cartoon history.  A show starring PROFESSIONAL SOLDIERS in combat with TERRORISTS, and NOBODY gets so much as a scratch?  And people wonder why kids shoot each other by accident!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 01:20:38 AM »

That was the main reason I did not watch the cartoon. Bullets everyhwhere but no one ever got hit it was just plain stupid
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 03:50:15 AM »

The GI Joe cartoon was never my cup of tea but I did enjoy the comics for a short while (up to issues 26 & 27, to be precise).  As for the Ziff-Davis series, it disappointed me with the few issues I checked-out.
ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: slingsla
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »

No one ever gets hurt in the cartoon and then they kill off a character in the animated movie and kids are crying in the theatres
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 06:32:15 PM »

Sgt Fury and his Howlers were also good a dodging the lead, they managed to fight there way thought most of WW2 and only one of them ever bought the farm.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bakerman3
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »

The G.I. Joe cartoon HAS to be the WORST example of psychobabble overcoming common sense in cartoon history.  A show starring PROFESSIONAL SOLDIERS in combat with TERRORISTS, and NOBODY gets so much as a scratch?  And people wonder why kids shoot each other by accident!

That's an interesting theory.  Right now, parents think that if you SHOW the violence, kids will be more likely to imitate it, but it could be true that by NOT showing it, you are giving kids a false sense of security about guns and the harm they can cause.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »

People have said music will corrupt kids, comic books, computer games, role playing games, etc. I think if it's in the kid to be that way, it doesn't matter what you show them, it's going to happen.
I grew up playing Dungeons & Dragons, Doom, Quake, listening to "Satanic" music and I've never even gotten a parking ticket. My friend who was like Felix Unger, pedantic and fastidious got into a lot of trouble in high school. Started doing LSD, just went weird. He finally got his act together and became a very devout Christian.
My niece and nephew were raised in the same household, same environment growing up. My niece got good grades and put herself through college. My nephew was an alcoholic by the time he was 15, got into drugs, went to rehab. He had a son out of wedlock, his girlfriend left him, and he was homeless. My niece adopted his son as hers and has raised him for the past 11 years.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15:09 PM »

Lots of variables play into making a person what they are. I know if I had not become a Christian it would not have been pretty. I was not a nice person and getting worse. I have no doubt of the detrimental affect on TV and movies in general. As a teacher I can see a direct cause and affect. Just watch how the language in movies and TV has gotten bad and teens have followed. Yes we talked just as bad but private not public. We knew it was wrong. It worries me more that lying has become accepted. Yes people have always lied but we knew it was wrong and consience kept it under control. If you swore or promised then it was very unlikely that you were lying. Now that means absolutely nothing.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 01:41:53 AM »

I've seen that first hand at work unfortunately. The owner of the company had a big to-do about not firing the president of our company (a real nice guy) after he hired a "consultant". He gave us our word but now seems that the president is on his way out. Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that the president recently divorced the owner's daughter.
For myself, I very rarely promise anything. The reason is that when I give my word, I keep it no matter what so I want to make sure I can.
I look at TV shows like "Secret Life of the American Teenager." These things seem to be taken in stride now. Marriage and commitment don't matter any more. Honor & morals have left the building.
Narf, I cannot imagine you being "not nice."
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 02:29:03 AM »

Thankfully through Jesus I was born again at 14 and there was a big difference.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.