in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

topic icon Author Topic: Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39  (Read 46916 times)

hoover

message icon
Re: Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:10 AM »

A few Sexton Blake for the pulp fiction section added.

Bob
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »

Wow, Bob, that is one heckuva lot of Lions! Over 60 issues if I counted correctly!  Thanks much! They should be appearing on the site shortly and then we'll see if there is a duplicate issue among them and get it straightened out.  Thanks also for that nice batch of Sexton Blakes!

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »

Phew, Bob, what a pile.  O.K. they are now up.  There was a duplicate of Lion#152, as you thought, which I have deleted, so we need a copy of #153. Also, I've changed the title on the .cbz issue.  In the Pulp Fiction section there are now sections for the DCT papers.  Although the descriptions require me to enter them under "Pulp", I think I'll go in and add a bit to the description to point out that the papers are so different from what we generally think of as pulps and that they are peculiar to Britain, France, Italy and not, I think to the USA.
Don't know about you but I always prefer Blake from Union Jack, Detective Weekly and the earlier series, rather than the simply crime issues of later years - no Waldo, for instance.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 09:52:57 PM »

One Sexton Blake and a few more Lions up before I lost my internet connection.  Still plenty of Lions to come.
I prefer the later third series Sexton Blakes probably because that is what was in the newsagents when I started reading them.  I find most things written before TVs were normal household equipment to use too many words describing things that everyone has now seen.
I've been scanning some School Friend comics today.  Only one has your favourite Silent Three in it but the Terry Brent - Detective strips are in all of them.  There is no section for these either.

Bob
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »

Getting them moved onto the site as fast as we can. 

Good stuff! 

Thanks for all these new uploads, Bob.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:04 PM »

You'll no doubt be pleased to know that I've just uploaded the last of the Lions.  There are also three Girls' Crystal issues in the pulp fiction section.

Bob
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »

Thanks Bob!

That's a huge pride of Lions!

;D ;D ;D

Joe
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 11:46:11 PM »

I've just uploaded some Adventures.  It would help if UK or DCT or something was added to the title as it is identical to the US title and there are no covers in the uploadimg section.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »

I added covers when I created the sections so, all good.  I'll go back in and have a look at the description.  You're right, thanks, I hadn't considered that.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 10:45:40 AM »

Gentlemen,

Firstly many many thanks. That was a feat of truly heroic proportions!!

For the last few days I have been damping down the computers as they have been tested to their limits. Despite the creaking and occasional clunking sound we are all here to tell the tale.

The other amazing aspect to this is, with all that you uploaded there were only 4 problems!!

Rover_1201_10_04_1948.cbz
Rover_1207_05_06_1948.cbz
Rover_1209_19_06_1948.cbz
Rover_1210_03_07_1948.cbz

The viewer didn't like them. I downloaded them and they were corrupt zips. I guess it probably happened on upload. Anyway I have deleted them so whenever you have a spare moment, if you could check your files and re upload, I'd be eternally grateful.

And again THANK YOU

Regards,

Mark
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 05:04:38 PM »

They were corrupt when I downloaded them.  It's a good job you checked them.
I've uploaded the four again.

Bob
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »

OK they are up now ....  I didn't spot it as such ... the "beast" as the software that creates the viewer/thumbnails etc notified me that it couldn't read them.

BTW it's named the beast as although it is a rather slow eater it has an insatiable appetite ... took it a couple of days to munch through all your uploads, but it always finishes.

And thanks again!
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »

Just uploaded a small batch of School Friend.  Only #273 has an episode of The Silent Three.  It also has what sounds like a gripping yarn of the Wild West, Carol of Honeysuckle Ranch.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »

That is good news, Bob.  Thanks.  Illo for the section now on.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 01:10:21 PM »

More Wizards uploaded for pulp fiction section.  Any I've missed or messed up I'll fill in later.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 02:50:11 PM »

Now available on site.  Thank you.
Wizard contains the balloon strip, Spadger Isle, and nowadays it would be considered extremely non-pc. and beyond the pail. I hope no-one will be offended by the strip but it is of its time and gives an insight into how certain societies saw the rest of the world. 
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »

Two missing Wizards now up.
Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »

I'm in the middle of uploading to the pulp fiction section and here are a few notes about the papers going up.

There are a number of issues of The Schoolgirl for 1939.  I have quite a number of others for that year which need editing but anyone in a hurry for them can find them in PDF format on Friardale.

Jimpy's edits continue into 1949 and I forgot to mention him on the first two Adventures.  Two Hotspurs and two Rovers have a P after the name.  This was because we found my original scans were almost unreadable and I scanned some photocopies for these.

Some of the Wizards are marked 'filmed'.  Several years ago I tried filming my papers as it was much faster than scanning.  The results were readable but later on, after I'd sold them,  I began to upload the scans to groups I decided they were not good enough.  Some I managed to buy again but mostly the B&W pages came from photocopies made by the late Colin Morgan.  I still have some completely filmed and many of the colour covers which look a bit squashed are from film.

Two points which may be of interest to some in this run of Wizards.  The effect of the war on the availability of paper.  Starting with the normal 28 pages you can see the page numbers, and font size, come down as the war progresses.  Also the Save Waste Paper cartoons give all sorts of wonderful things that paper can be used for.  Why they risked valuable aircraft and even more valuable aircrew to drop leaflets over Germany is a mystery.  It also puzzles me that after the war when less munitions were needed paper was in even shorter supply.

I'll be back uploading after tea.

Bob
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2013, 07:03:58 PM »

Thanks Bob.  Enjoyed the additional info about the war time paper shortages and it's affects on the publications.  Similar shortages here in the states limited the number of comics being published during those years too.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »

Aw Bob, I'm overwhelmed with all this Big 5 goodness.  Another pile of Adventure, Rover, Wizard up now.  Thanks to whoever caught the rest of the stuff I ran out of time on today.

"It also puzzles me that after the war when less munitions were needed paper was in even shorter supply." Hoover
Was it not that Britain didn't have the resources to make enough paper and places like Norway were in bits after the occupation?  And, I suppose, supplies of wood or pulp from Canada took second place behind much needed materials and food on the boats. That said, there was rationing for years after the end of the war. I'm sure there are academic texts available but, can I be bothered to look them up? 
I'm glad you're doing those conversions as some of the ones I attempted either failed completely or were corrupt.  So any issues of Schoolgirl are most welcome.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »

Thanks to all those who have managed to sort my uploads.  I think that is about all of the issues that have been edited so the flood will slow down to a trickle from now on.  Most of the other five or six thousand from before 1958 will probably never get done unless you want raw scans.

As there was talk of masked Western heroes in another thread I've uploaded a Skipper containing an episode of Leatherface.

I'm awaiting a batch of School Friend from 1922 which should amuse the ladies.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »

Never mind the ladies, there's some good reading for all in there.  I look forward to them.
Masked westerns, that'll please Mr. Goldenage.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »

A couple of early Rovers now up for a change.

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »

I've just uploaded a few more early Rovers and I'd like some feedback on these.

#0003 is mainly scans from a bound copy with some scans of photocopies where I thought they were better. 

#0004 is all scans from photocopies which is why the front cover is B&W.  I have several hundred Rovers taken completely from photocopies.  Some pages of p/copies are not easy to read.

#0008 is all scans from a bound copy which I found I'd archived previously.

3 and 4 have been edited but 8 has just been straightened and cropped.  What I would like a few comments on is whether #0008 is good enough to post or not.  If it is it will greatly speed up the number that I can upload.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »

Lovely stuff, Bob and I've had a look.  Although the script is faint on many pages, especially #8, I could read them on my tablet, so, for me, they look o.k.  As for the b&w covers, if that's the only way we can get them, I'm happy.  So if some of the others could have a gander and see what they think, that would be great.
Interesting that the strips on the back pages change, well the bottom one does, from a balloon strip to a text strip. Although, there is a balloon sound effect in #4.  Normally, with a few notable exceptions, text strips were replaced by balloon strips.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.