in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Lots of Comics but no time

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

topic icon Author Topic: Lots of Comics but no time  (Read 63303 times)

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Lots of Comics but no time
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 04:28:36 AM »

Jim and everyone,

It just occurred to me that perhaps we should be careful about our conversation here.  Some of the books on Jim's list (like DC and Atlas for sure) are not in public domain.  Aussie has asked us not to post links to non-PD books here, and he and Serj might prefer we not discuss any scanning of them.

Jim, I didn't mean to imply you should have heard of me -- particularly since there's no way you would have known my last name.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 04:48:39 AM »

What was the date on Animal Fun 3D, Jim,
The books I was looking at were Yellowjacket 12 and 14. #12 had Squat Car Squad, 1/2 Chief Poke in Nose and Tubby Pig - all of which were concurrently (I think) being published in Joker Comics and issue #14 contained a Buzzy strip with a Stan Lee job code on it.

The Premier Magazines that I'm familiar with was a 1950s outfit that had art by Schaffenberger and George Woodbridge and the occasional Angelo Torres strip in them. I have most of the comics from THAT Premier and a Ziggy Pig reprint in the mid-50s (long after the characters had faded from the medium) wouldn't be quite as puzzling as those that were published concurrently with the Timely versions.

For the record, Slapstick Comics: cover and Firetop are Munson Paddock.

I have some early Kubert at Harvey working with Jill Elgin. Marvelous stuff.

I've always been stymied by a reference for identifying artist. It seems that I need to know the name before I can look up the style in the reference volume. I've tried to organize a few myself, but I keep bumping up against the fact that if I have a large enough selection of styles, I can never find what I am looking for without a name - which is what I'm looking for. Perhaps you've solved this Catch 22. Please enlighten me.

And you can get about 50 or more GA comics into one of the Large Flat Rate boxes. With $300 insurance, the cost is about $18 - if memory serves.

Peace,
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 05:04:28 AM »

Yellowjacket only goes to 10 then becomes Jack in the Box 11.  Kubert's stuff at Avon looks as much like great Ditko as Ditko to me.  For artist ID I plan on posting numerous full stories that have been signed by the artist.
It would be like the old adage that a bank teller learns how to identify a counterfeit by seeing so many of the real thing.  You would not use my site to search to identify the artist you would use my site first to become familiar with a few artist.  You could perhaps see Myron Fass's policeman pose enough times on my site that when you see that policeman you would say that looks like Fass.  You could then go back to my site and confirm it looks like that.  You would have to familiarize yourself with a few choice artists on my site first.
What I would like from contributers is clues.  Like you know it is so and so by the ears, etc.  From what I have heard and felt some myself is that the best art id often comes from the gut.  I saw my fist signed Eugene Hughes cover and then almost subconsciously identified others.  Anyway it will be there to reference and compare. JIM

I considered this as just a list of the books Jim has.  I am only requesting public domain books to scan and post here. If anyone wishes to archive other books they can discuss it over emails. The list should remain here and we can figure out how we can get all the PD books that are not here done eventually.  I know many of us have different interests and I welcome Jon doing the St. John books. I have a priority list that leads of with The Mad Hatter.  It is great that Jim has the Blazing #1 and Yellowjacket 9 that we need. If anyone puts in a request for any of my top books that is fine with me as long as they get scanned and get here.  Jim gets his books back and all we get are the scans anyway so I welcome getting to see some of these as soon as possible by anyone. I am a fan of the obscure, others of the big names, so we may for a moment be able to hold what to each of us is a treasure in our hands.  We share the scans but we all have to admit a certain thrill in possessing, if only temporarily, something we deem of value in our hands.  I know I will feel the thrill when the package arrives and pull out Mad Hatter, Blazing, Yellowjacket, Amazing Man 14 and look upon them for the first time.  We really are an odd bunch ain't we.  Some people stare at static stamps and coins and are consider more normal than us.  I think we have the more interesting hobby.
ip icon Logged

Ontology

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Ontology
message icon
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 06:13:11 AM »

Hi Jim,
I'm ecstatic about the paper you have, first of all! You actually have Buster Brown #1, the only issue which Jon and I could not locate when "going medieval" on the series some months ago. I have deferred to jon to scan that issue, if you send it to him (Please do! We already completed 2-43! You have no idea how great it is you have the missing #1!)

My name is Fritz, and I've been scanning since 2004, and collecting since 1960 more or less. I live not that far from Jon. I know most of the scanners here (we all pretty much know each other - and I know there are a few other prolific old book scanners that are going to be quite interested by your appearance and offer!) Sorry, but I never published or appeared in anything comics-fan wise, but I think you will find I'm the real deal if you ask around from the other scanners. And I've had my shots. :)

Funny you mention wanting New Funnies 63 (The Funnies, right? 3rd Andy Panda?), as I would like it, too! And 61,64,65,68.69.76 as I already scanned 66,67,70-75.77,81 recently, and 58p of #62. Henrypeters should be scanning 78-80 soon (hopefully, and I think you will catch his attention, too). The early Funnies have been scanned heavily as of late, by people you will and have already heard from.

Heck, that's only one title!

Anyway, I am chomping at the bit to see MANY of your books scanned, and would also be fully willing to help. I am omnivorous when it comes to comics, and it looks like you are, too.

Postage no problem, should and when the occasion arises, which I hope it does! I  would love to do the unscanned Chesler, Centaur, Crown Comics, Prize Comics... well, it's too much to digest, lol!

I think I speak for the whole community when I say, "thank you!" :)

Ontology

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:24:27 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 06:25:30 AM »

Jim I sent you an e-mail with my information and contact info. November sounds fine, no rush with whatever you decide one way or the other.

Geo
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 12:32:01 PM »

Thank sounds great Jim, November or whatever.
What I'll do is wait and see what the other more knowledgeable members, as found addressing in this thread, do

and let them decide what is needed most. What I am offering is my scan time as best suits the forum. Recording the artists work and any other data along with the scans of the book would not only be possible but would be recommended.
Catch you in November.
Cheers
-rez

Thanks for pointing the KO Komics scans out to me. Now if I only could figure out why I couldn't find them myself... I'm not very conversant with messageboards, blogs and things. Sorry. I spend most of my time researching from prime source material and recording the information, eventually, on the web, but this is the very first time I've considered looking for prime material on-line. I guess I have a lot to learn about techniques and etiquette. Apologies in advance for any toes I inadvertently step on.

Regarding the quality of the scans, your KO's look just fine to me - eminently presentable and legible. If you want to try to scan a trial box of my books, take a look at what I listed above and pick out a dozen or more issues and send me your snail mail address. There's lots more detail than I recorded, so if there's something you really want to see, just ask. It's hard to predict what I MIGHT have.

Also, if you want to record artists information, I may have indexed the issues on index cards and can provide some solid information and rough guesses in that area as well.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »

Narfstar said: "Yellowjacket only goes to 10 then becomes Jack in the Box 11." and you're absolutely right. I was working from memory, and the title is actually "Jack in the Box Comics - incorporating Yellowjacket". I'd already sent the books off to Hames and simply skipped to the end of the title in my memory. It was Jack in the Box #12 and #14.

And this IS JUST A LIST of books I have. I in no way meant to offer them as Public Domain material that was available to scan. There're really no worries on that front as I wouldn't allow things still under copyright to go out. I'm VERY big on protecting copyrights.

Ontology said: "Funny you mention wanting New Funnies 63 (The Funnies, right? 3rd Andy Panda?)" but actually my desire for that issue is that in contains the signature "Bing" on the Andy Panda story. It's the ONLY time that artist has been known to sign. And, you're very welcome. I'm quite happy to find someone to make use of my collection for a greater good.

And let me tell you the story of how I came to possess Buster Brown #1: I used to run Bud Plant Illustrated Books and for many years we had a booth at the San Diego Convention that was just inside the Bud Plant Comic Art mega-booth. One evening at closing time I was talking with Bud and Olivia (the pin-up artist) and her husband Joel. Joel knew I collected old comics and we were discussing the drawbacks of being dealers at a convention that "called" to our collecting souls in ways we couldn't answer. We were stuck in our booths. Drat! Anyway we began to show each other the few comics we HAD managed to get out and find and when he showed me his Buster Brown #1 I told him how truly fortunate he was (and PERHAPS I drooled on it just a LITTLE) since it was the only issue I still needed. So he gave it to me. WOW. That's the only reason I have it. Joel is near the top of my "nice guy list."

geo - got your info. Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:11:00 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
Re: Lots of (additional) Comics but no time
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »

For the record, I just wanted to add the following books to the previously published list of comics available for scanning.
Harvey:
   Champion 12
   Hello Pal   3
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:46:56 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 03:18:44 AM »

Lovely list Jim!
And if anyone is going to be arranging to scan some of Jim's books PLEASE let us know exactly which books are involved here before Jim sends them out.  Some of them might well have already been scanned and just haven't made it up onto the site for whatever reason.

No point in duplicating past efforts unless the original scan happened to be incomplete or of very low quality.

Thanks,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 02:15:58 AM »

Hi Gang,
Sorry to have to mention this but please, everyone, do not use any REAL names in any posts on the site if you or the person to whom you are speaking are known here by pseudonyms.  Sadly there are some out there that might make life difficult for you with that information.

Anyone wishing to pass along personal information to JVJ for his scanning project should please only use the email address he provided (jim@jvjpubs.com).  As much as I love to learn about you, my fellow members, past experience has taught me and others that keeping real names off of the net is probably for the best.  At least in a very public forum like this one is.

I've slightly adjusted several posts accordingly to protect the poster's identities. 
Ont, I completely removed one post of yours as it was entirely too nice and far too revealing about personal information.  But you know I did it only to protect you and I think only the best of you as a scanner and person.   :)

Thanks,
-Yoc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:31:42 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
Re: Lots of Comics but no names
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »

Point taken, Yoc,
I am unaware of many such points of etiquette. If I screw up again, feel free to educate me.

For the record, I've arranged off-line with geo and JonTheScanner to try out the process while I'm away. Tomorrow I'm sending JonTheScanner 65 comics:

ST JOHN (28)
Anchors Andrews (St John) 2-4
Fightin' Marines 6-7
Fightin' Texan 16-17
Strange Terror (St john) 5-6
The Texan (St John) 2-6 8-11 13 14
Weird Horrors (St John) 3 4 6
Wild Boy (St John) 11-15       

ACG (9)
Advs into the Unknown 91
Blazing West #18
Kilroys 24
Operation Peril 1 10 15
Spy Hunters 16 18 24

BUSTER BROWN (1)
Buster Brown #1

CHARLTON (12)
Crime & Justice 3 5 9 10 11 24
Danny Blaze 2
Lawbreakers 4 8 12 (1 & 2 were also requested, but will have to come later)
Police Trap 5 6

DELL (7)
Camp Comics 3
Four Color 23 Raggedy Ann
Raggedy Ann 12 14 21 23 28

FOX (1)
Bouncer 1944

GLEASON (7)
Advs in Wonderland 2-5

and geo is getting 39 comics:

ALARMING TALES   3
CAPT. MIDNIGHT   36,46
CAPT. VIDEO   2,3,5,6
DON WINSLOW   31,67,68
ATOM AGE COMBAT   2
ATOMIC SPY CASES   1
CAPT. STEVE SAVAGE   2-8,13
EARTHMAN/VENUS (one-shot)
FLYING SAUCERS  1
ROCKET TO MOON (one-shot)
SPACE DETECTIVE   1,3,4
STRANGE WORLDS   1,2,4-9,22
LOST WORLDS   5,6
SPACE ACTION   3

Several of my friends consider me crazy for doing this, but I have great faith that nothing untoward will happen. Please prove me right.

ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 02:49:33 AM »

Oh great -- let everyone know -- now they'll all be after me as to what to scan first.

Just kidding, and no one has any choice anyway.  Buster Brown #1 is the first scan.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 02:59:10 AM »

Hi Jim,
That's Fantastic news about Jon and Geo.  Good scanners both, I'm sure we will be all happy to see the results.  I hope they've checked the site and the other usual sources to avoid duplicating existing scans.  I'll give your list a quick glance.

(Sure wish Blazing Comics #1 had been on someone's list... oh well...)

I still haven't gotten in contact with that Portland scanner but if he's willing I'll tell him to contact you via your email and mention the project.  Jon and Ontology can also vouch for him if that helps.  It's just a matter of can he help given his own busy real life.   :)

Stay tuned,
-Yoc

------

Just finished checking Geo and Jon's lists - I don't see any that I know for sure have already been scanned!
:)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:10:49 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 03:17:50 AM »

HOLY COW & GREAT SCOTT!  This is a fantastically unreal offer, my friend!  Jonthescanner, and Geo, if you would like or need an editor for any of the comics, that is what I do best!  Scanning itself is the hard part for me to get motivated enough to do...

Cimm
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 03:31:49 AM »

I sure hope all goes well. I won't be sending any more books out, Yoc, until I get these back and see how smoothly everything went.

By the way, in almost every case, I've included an index card with information about the artists in the comics. If there is any way you both, Geo and Jon, can incorporate that data with the scans, it might prove helpful to folks who look at them. In case it's not obvious, if an entry on the card is followed by a "?" or is in pencil, it's a guess. Signed stories are indicated with an "*". and an "
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 03:35:43 AM »

Blazing 1 and Yellowjacket 9 are on my list I just had not gotten it emailed to J yet.  He had indicated he would be waiting to November so I did not rush my list off. Darn a day late and a dollar short.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 03:39:34 AM »

Oh great -- let everyone know -- now they'll all be after me as to what to scan first.

Just kidding, and no one has any choice anyway.  Buster Brown #1 is the first scan.

Good choice Jon. Anyone have a preference on my list please speak up, otherwise I'll just start from the top of the list on them after I receive them from Jim. Thank you again for offering/doing this for us here.

Geo
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:44:15 AM by Geo »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 03:45:54 AM »

Strange Worlds and Space Detectives would be my first choices Geo.

BTW Jim we all accept that you are as crazy as the rest of us  ::)  :o
We spend our own good money to buy books primarily to scan them and share them for free.  Spending even more valuable time in the scanning process.  Making our paper issues somewhat less valuable because they are available for free download. So I do not think that you are risking much with this group of like minded loons.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 03:54:51 AM »

To be perfectly honest, Narfstar,
I never even CONSIDERED the value of the books when I offered to do this. Just like I've never put them in plastic bags. Their value, for me, is in their contents and what I can learn from them. I'll probably die with them and, as I told our estate lawyer as we were working out the details of our wills, after that I won't care cause I'll be dead. in fact, my greatest fantasy is that all the comics in the universe suddenly lose ALL of their value, so then I could afford to look at them.

I just MIGHT be a little more crazy than the norm....
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 04:14:28 PM »

Hi Jim,
I was able to chat with that Portland scanner buddy of mine.  He will be in contact with you via your email but it might have to be after you return.  But he's super excited to help out with your project.

And if your kind of generous crazy were sold in bottles I'd buy a case or two!
;)

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 11:29:14 PM »

Ok I just received my shipment from Jim, so hopefully they will start showing up here by sometime this weekend at the earliest if everything goes right. Narfstar I will start with your request first and then go from there unless more requests come in on them. Thanks again Jim for doing this for/with us. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Peace.

Geo
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2008, 02:23:31 AM »

I'm glad they arrived safely, Geo,
although I had a lump in my throat when you told me the box was damaged! Gulp. Glad the bubblewrap saved the day. I hope Jon gets his box in better shape as it has less padding.

Totally off-topic but apropos of why we all have to wait until November, here's a link to a website I created when I was in Paris this Spring. I will be adding to it as time permits while I'm there this time, too.
http://www.bpib.com/paris/Paris%20Adventure.html

Thanks for the good wishes, Geo, I'm anxious to get some R&R.

And even MORE off-topic, but one of the funniest things I've seen come out of the economic banking mess:

Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury Paulson
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »

Jim,

Box just arrived in my office.  It appears sound.  Have to run to a meeting will open it this afternoon and let you know, but everythign appears fine.

Hope to scan lots this weekend.

Jon
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2008, 06:30:08 PM »

First JVJon scan, Buster Brown nn [1] is uploading as we speak.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2008, 12:37:26 AM »

Great job done there Jon. Here's a picture of the box when it arrived, (you can see the hole on the boxes face and the crunched corner), I was very worried till I looked inside and everything was fine.

Also my first of JVJ's book scanned will be coming shortly, (Strange Worlds #1). Stay tuned for it.

Geo

ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.