in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,888 books
 New: 90 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Nimm Mich Mit!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Nimm Mich Mit!  (Read 503 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« on: November 25, 2020, 02:30:02 PM »

What a great wee book. Thank you. I notice one of the coins says, "pfund". I need to do some research.

Link to the book: Nimm Mich Mit!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 09:54:40 PM »

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 12:01:36 PM »

Yes, I know that.  It was because a German coin was a pound that got me curious.  I have a german o level but have forgotren most of it.  I can still read a bit, though.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 07:52:02 AM »

I expect comickraut can help us out here - but I believe that in colloquial German, 1 pound was equal to 20 marks - at least until the 1900s. I think that dates back to the time of Charlemagne.

In Austria, I believe pound is still used as a traditional measure of weight but it is equal to 500gm - but in England of course, a pound in weight is equal to 454gm.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 10:24:43 AM »

I expect comickraut can help us out here ...

Too much of the honor. ???

Although I have some albums with coins, I am not a numismatist and the German coin situation in the 19th century is very confusing, because of the variety of coins and the various small German countries. Although there were also uniform coins, each of the many small German states also had its own coins. There were "Thaler", "Gulden", "Kreuzer", "Groschen", "Pfennige" ect. As far as I know, the coin situation only became clearer and standardized after the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71 by Bismarck after establish the German Empire.

You can make 30 "Vereinsthaler" of a pound of fine silver. One pound (Pfund) are 500 g, a half kilogram.

The "Vereinsthaler" was introduced in 1857 to replace the previous standard Thaler (based on the Prussian Thaler) which was very slightly heavier. While the earlier Thaler had contained one fourteenth of a Cologne mark of silver (16,704 grams), the Vereinsthaler contained 16 2⁄3 grams of silver, which was indicated on the coins as one thirtieth of a metric pound (pound, equal to 500 grams).

More Informationes here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vereinstaler

BTW

In the German editions of the Disney comics, "Taler" and "Kreuzer" are used to pay for, at least that was the case in the past. I can't say whether Dagobert meanwhile exchanged his Taler and Kreuzer for Euro. ;D

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 10:35:17 AM »

I expect comickraut can help us out here - but I believe that in colloquial German, 1 pound was equal to 20 marks - at least until the 1900s. I think that dates back to the time of Charlemagne.

In Austria, I believe pound is still used as a traditional measure of weight but it is equal to 500gm - but in England of course, a pound in weight is equal to 454gm.

In The Netherlands,  a pound (een pond) is a weight measure, equal to half a kilo.  So, it wouldn't equal a British or Canadian, or US Pound - only approximate it. But, I've never heard of it being a coin there.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 10:42:08 AM »

I expect comickraut can help us out here ...

Too much of the honor. ???

Although I have some albums with coins, I am not a numismatist and the German coin situation in the 19th century is very confusing, because of the variety of coins and the various small German countries. Although there were also uniform coins, each of the many small German states also had its own coins. There were "Thaler", "Gulden", "Kreuzer", "Groschen", "Pfennige" ect. As far as I know, the coin situation only became clearer and standardized after the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71 by Bismarck after establish the German Empire.

You can make 30 "Vereinsthaler" of a pound of fine silver. One pound (Pfund) are 500 g, a half kilogram.

The "Vereinsthaler" was introduced in 1857 to replace the previous standard Thaler (based on the Prussian Thaler) which was very slightly heavier. While the earlier Thaler had contained one fourteenth of a Cologne mark of silver (16,704 grams), the Vereinsthaler contained 16 2⁄3 grams of silver, which was indicated on the coins as one thirtieth of a metric pound (pound, equal to 500 grams).

More Informationes here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vereinstaler

BTW

In the German editions of the Disney comics, "Taler" and "Kreuzer" are used to pay for, at least that was the case in the past. I can't say whether Dagobert meanwhile exchanged his Taler and Kreuzer for Euro. ;D

He did in The Netherlands.  His money is now in Euros in our comics.  We had a couple stories in which he had to trade in all his Gulden when the changeover occurred, and that was a big mess of a project for the government officials.  Jan and I had one based on that very subject.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 11:27:49 AM »

He [Scrooge] did in The Netherlands.  His money is now in Euros in our comics. 

Thanks for the information :). It was certainly not easy for poor Scrooge, to exchange his beloved money into a new currency. ;D
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 07:49:28 PM »

He [Scrooge] did in The Netherlands.  His money is now in Euros in our comics. 

Thanks for the information :). It was certainly not easy for poor Scrooge, to exchange his beloved money into a new currency. ;D

As with Talers, Gulden, and Pounds Stirling, and US Dollars, there wasn't enough metal and paper in The World, to mint enough coins and print enough paper bills to represent ALL of Scrooge's uncountable Gazillions of whatever currency you'd choose!   8)
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 09:40:37 AM »

I guess, that's true!  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.