in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 250 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

sidekicks

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: sidekicks  (Read 4453 times)

WileyJ

message icon
sidekicks
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »

geez lueez did every hero have a underage sidekick back in the day?i always knew it was a lot of em but i never realized it was sooo many! this is one thing that peeves me about golden age comics.am i the only one??
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:49:32 PM by WileyJ »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: sidekicks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:05:36 PM »

NOPE! I have no problem with powered sidekicks but have always thought it was one of the most dumb aspect of GA comics to have a non-powered kid out fighting grown gangsters and monsters and such.
ip icon Logged

Kevin Yong

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »

The part that confuses me about Golden Age kid sidekicks is the frequent lack of dynamic codenames.

Sure, there's always "Batman & Robin". And even "Cat-Man and Kitten" has a nice ring to it.

But for every crimefighting duo with consistent names, you also get mismatched kid sidekicks like "Magno and Davey". "The Deacon and Mickey". Or "The Black Terror and... Tim". I don't get it.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:04:55 PM »

Dynamite renamed Tim as Kid Terror. Pete Stockbridge was a master of disguise known as the Chemeleon but usually just Pete Stockbridge but his sidekick was the costumed Kid Tyrant even though he had no powers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:25:35 PM »

Oh yes, I like this.  You're right, there are so many.  I have to introduce you to some you may not know.  Catman, when he was cancelled, continued in Australia but Kitten became Kit.  The Night Hawk (the British one) had a junior version, wings and all, Sparrowhawk, real name, Snub Hawkins.  Billy the Cat had his cousin, Katie, in similar costume as well, more a companion than a sidekick.   (One of my favourite costumed heroes)
But, as for The Terror, it wouldn't have mattered to me if Tim had been called, The Beige Dumpling, they are just too good and those cossies are so brilliant.  The ones you mention, Magno etc., it seems the big guy has a codename but they couldn't be bothered thinking one up for the wee guy.  I've always liked the sound of, The Crimson Avenger and Wing.

Got to look up some more
ip icon Logged

Kevin Yong

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »

Well, there's always "The Reckoner and Chipper".
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:53 PM »

Yup, there were a lot. I didn't realize the magnitude until discovering CB+ and DCM.

http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sidekicks
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sidekicks
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »

didnt want to start a whole new thread....but to change the subject...i think these golden age artist are better served in black and white, after looking at a book someone had posted that had original art along side the colored version it was a real revalation how much the bad coloring took away from the art....and that black roger book looks really nice also in black and white.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:29:18 PM »

Glad you found Black Roger.  I'm sure it's an Australian reprint.  There's no indicia but the 8d price was a common Australian comic price, before they went metric, that is.  Many, if not most British and Aus. reprints of American comics were done in b&w. simply because it was cheaper.  Growing up with b&w comics, it was all the more exciting to find colour in the American comics that came over.  A quite well known comics artist told me years ago that colouring could hide a multitude of sins.
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »

well i gueess it could work both ways... hide the sins of the bad artist and hide the glory of the great artist
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »

I have been blown away by the B&W originals showing great skill more than the colored version
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »

Keep in mind though the cheap off-set printing and paper quality - it's not all on the head of the colorist if old comics don't look great. ;-)

I have been blown away by the B&W originals showing great skill more than the colored version
ip icon Logged

ProfJayRob

message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »

If I remember right Doll Man nad a female sidekick, but I can't remember if she was underage though
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 08:44:29 PM »

Even though they called her Doll Girl she was a full grown woman. Filled out her uniform well.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »

If anyone wants a look at Kit (as opposed to Kitten) here's a pic plus info. on the Australian version.
http://comicsdownunder.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/catman-transplanted-superhero.html
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:07:16 PM »

I have seen that version of Catman but not Kit before
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.