in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Daredevil Comics 001

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Daredevil Comics 001  (Read 970 times)

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« on: April 03, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »

I'm surprised that the GCD lists this issue as DAREDEVIL COMICS when the indicia and the cover both say DAREDEVIL BATTLES HITLER.

I know that it becomes DAREDEVIL COMICS with issue 2, so arguably the first issue is unofficially DAREDEVIL COMICS No. 1. But the GCD doesn't usually treat magazine titles in that way, choosing instead to stick with the cold hard facts.

Link to the book: Daredevil Comics 001
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:01:38 PM by jimmm kelly »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:37:41 AM »

Don't know for certain, but I would guess the entry was created and no one bothered splitting it off into its own entry later on. (Also I'm not certain how easy such a change could be made. Can an editor just move the information or does it have to be manually reloaded?)

You can find various examples of series having multiple indicia titles hither and yon at the GCD, usually in the incomplete series.

The notes for Archie Comics Digest shows a number of indicia title changes, some of the points of change are guessed at since no one has indexed enough of the series to be certain when it changed.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:25:00 AM »

Yes, I've come across examples on the GCD where they give a double listing for a comic. I thought they might have done that here. But not the case.

I know from using the GCD these many years that you have to be very smart if you're searching for something. You can't just take a shot in the dark--the title has to be exact according to the indicia, you have to get the spelling right and the punctuation right or else you're doomed to roam the Grand Comics Database for eons without surcease, praying for deliverance from your unending odyssey.

To find an example where that kind of exactitude is lacking comes as a heady surprise.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.