in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 250 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

How many comic books in your collection?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: How many comic books in your collection?  (Read 5720 times)

bminor

• VIP
message icon
How many comic books in your collection?
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »

Last time I actually counted, some twenty-eight years ago. Somewhere in excess of 7,000...

When I was in college I used to keep a tally on my wall.

ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
Re: How many comic books in your collection?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »

Last time I actually counted, some twenty-eight years ago. Somewhere in excess of 7,000...

When I was in college I used to keep a tally on my wall.

Last time was around 7 long boxes, probably have 14 now. Those fit around 300 comics (?), so ... 4200?
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »

Last time I counted them was in the 1970s and it was a few thousand then.  These days most are boxed away and I have no idea how many I have now.  Maybe someday when I retire I'll dig 'em all out and count them.

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:14:37 AM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »

Not sure but years ago I had many more than now.  I tried to count a shelf by counting 50 comics then measuring, thinking I'd get a ballpark figure but, as usual, got totally confused and made a mess of it.
So, I suppose, 3 - 4 thousand.  Of course, that's way out, because I just turned round and saw all my British and European stuff.  We're a wee bit lacking in space here and I sold lots of titles that I didn't want to keep and hadn't read for years.  But then, there is a small comic mart in Glasgow on Saturday, so with any luck I'll find some comics to buy there.  And I'll also need to buy a present for my wife to make up for bringing more "stuff" into the house.
I am retired but have even less time than when I was working and, on balance, I'd rather read them than count them.  This subject tickles my fancy.  Curious to see if anyone else comes up with figures.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »

Seems like most of us have lost track. I got boxes here and there so several thousand but no idea how many
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 04:17:06 AM »

My original collection, or what survived of it from childhood, fit two long boxes.  I now keep them in four plastic short boxes.  I also have two magazine boxes, which are approximately the same depth as the short boxes for the comics, but they don't both contain all magazines.

So, I'd guess my original comics collection comes in at about 600 issues... 98% of which are from the SA and later.  In other words, virtually no comics dating prior to the late 1950s.  And nothing of great worth either (monetarily speaking), I might add.

I also have about a short box worth of modern comics that I picked up just in the last few years.

Overall, I'd probably say there's about 1000 comics and magazines in my collection... and that's it for me.  

No m
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:24:19 AM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »

"No m
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 04:30:23 AM »

Only about half a dozen of my original collection. Didn't care much about the value, just saved my very favorites. Today maybe 6 long boxes of comics and 4 of pulps, magazines, and assorted ephemera. Cheers, Bowers.
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »

Never the dumpster. A dime at Goodwill is better than the dumpster
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 02:19:03 AM »

Hospital donation? Library?
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 07:04:10 PM »

Hospital donation? Library?

I dunno, but donating Jamie Delano's Rawbone to a Hospital (or even giving it away to Goodwill) seems somehow inappropriate to me.  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »

You can always offer them for postage to different forums. I had accumulated books that came in with lots that were not appropriate. I sent them to a fellow comic fan.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »

Good idea, Narfster.

You can always offer them for postage to different forums. I had accumulated books that came in with lots that were not appropriate. I sent them to a fellow comic fan.
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 03:37:42 AM »

Well... does anybody here want 'em (Jamie Delano's Rawbone, that is)... for postage?  :)
ip icon Logged

bminor

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »

Don't throw them in the dumpster!!!
I would pay  postage to have some!!!!
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 04:12:44 AM »

used to have 2 footlockers and around 5 long boxes....including batman and detective almost full run from 1982-2000...sold 99 percent of my collection on ebay.....now have only essentials,showcase and archive collections , gladstones ec reprints from early 90's,and one long box full of bronze age goodies weird war,gunfighters etc..
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 04:14:42 AM »

oh and about 50 archie comics from 60's 70's
ip icon Logged

Underwaterone

message icon
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »

Well I have been collecting non-stop since the age of 10, so something over 30 years now-- while the overall numbers have fluccuated over years, having bought and then sold a large collection about 20 years back, I now have 400 GA books(including my underwater cover collection) 2500 - 3000 silver age books and another 3-4000 comics, and magazines. I also dabble in BLBS with about 120 of those, and room full of lunchboxes about 300. Hulk memorabilia coming out my ears and shelf after shelf after shelf of reference books, cataloges, price guides... Speaking of Price guides I have a couple of historic very early 1965 guides. Would there be a place to share these on this site?
Anyway- as my wife and I talk more and more about moving to a new home one of the main must haves is a collecting room and she agrees!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »

ENVIOUS!!! BTW Rangerhouse said that he will be happy to scan your books and would even pay return postage. We have a postage fund, and I am sure there are those happy to contribute to postage to get some of these great books scanned.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.