in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 112 - The Mask of Dr. Fu Manchu

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 112 - The Mask of Dr. Fu Manchu  (Read 4599 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 112 - The Mask of Dr. Fu Manchu
« on: March 02, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »

Last week's Captain Rocket #1 hardly lit up the night sky. Personally, I think it was a bit of a damp squib and just sneaked into my "hit" category.

BUT, this week I have high hopes we'll have a real winner. The Mask of Dr. Fu Manchu https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=18928. According to the GCD, the main story takes up 25 pages. But it is divided into four parts. So, as tradition dictates, we'll be concentrating on Part #1 ... but I guess most of us will certainly read the lot.

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Week 112 - The Mask of Dr. Fu Manchu
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:25:32 AM »

I love this book. It's mostly because the artwork embodies so much of what attracts me to classic 50s comic art. The story, with its breathless pace and exotic set-pieces, also pushes my happy button...even though it's a lousy story.

Most of the story's problems can be laid at Sax Rohmer's feet. Rohmer was not a good writer, whether as a plotter or as a stylist. His pulpy stories are mostly a series of over-the-top  incidents bound together by the thinnest of plots. The fact that many were published serially probably encouraged that approach.

The Fu Manchu series' major problem is the good Doctor's omnipotence. In the final scene (one of those grand set-pieces), in which Fu gives Shan and Rima a wedding gift, Petrie's analysis is ridiculous. Why should Fu "respect" Greville? Shan and Nayland Smith simply fight a succession of futile holding actions necessitated by Sir Lionel's rash behavior. The only reason Greville has a clue about what happened is that Fah Lo Suee restores his memory. Having been adapted from a novel the comic moves too fast and is choppy in spots. Nevertheless the writer does a darned good job of making a complex narrative readable. The only clunker is the bit about Fah Lo Suee's white pill. I haven't read the original for decades and I don't remember this incident. I presume the pill played some part in the novel but the comic scripter fails to pay it off.

Everything to be said about Rohmer's racism has already been said. In the comic both the Asians and the Arabs are stereotypes, but the racism isn't laid on as thick as it is in the novels. It's odd that the colorist gives Middle Easterners the pale yellow skin usually reserved for Chinese and Japanese. The story has some amusing present-day echoes, what with "Mohammedan" fundamentalists threatening the Empire and a Westerner insisting on his right to extract local wealth without first consulting the locals.

Wallace Wood's art is perfect for this kind of tale. It was drawn at an early point in Wood's ascendancy, but it already has his hallmarks: larger-than-life characters, lush inking, a love for atmospheric detail. During this period even Wood's "realistic" art has an undercurrent of caricature that enhances overheated fantasies like Fu Manchu. Wood's backgrounds are movie sets, bogus yet wonderful. His Middle East is about as genuine as Agrabah, but it's what we imagine the Middle East should look like. Take the last panel on our page 14 as an example. Totally phony but totally convincing. By the way, I could swear Al Williamson pencilled a couple of pages in Part 3. It's not impossible, as the two worked together on other projects.

The filler story is okay. Hollingsworth has many good points but he struggles with proportions.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:28:05 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 05:34:35 AM »

The Mask of Dr. Fu Manchu - Nice story, good art.

Operation Blackout - Okay, but nothing special. Sadly the mystery angle was practically non-existent.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:10:22 PM »

It has been many years since I read any Fu Manchu novels. Despite the many flaws I was enjoying the story until the 4th part. The wrap up kinda flopped. Of course the art was superb.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »

I am really looking forward to this book. I have a dim recollection of seeing the dastardly doctor a great many moons ago, when I still wore short trousers (pants for my American cousins). I have been a fan ever since. He's a baddie with real style!

Part One - After finishing this I am hooked. Of course Fu Manchu would have a beautiful evil(ish) daughter in love with our hero (Shan Greville). "The blighters! Let's give it to them!" So, on with Part Two

Part Two - The bad Dr is as good as ANY Bond villain: "We meet again, Sir Dennis ...".

Gentlemen, an excuse if you have been found illicitly embracing a barmaid or other such lady of your acquaintance. Just explain to your spouse that Dr Fu Manchu had drugged you, and you have no recollection of it happening. That should work fine!

"Queer business, Dervishes at Given. Don't like it." We turn the page to Part Three and a certain hit!

Part Three - "It's all but incredible, but Dr Fu Manchu has managed to get out as mysteriously as he got in" Hmmm ... I bet the cunning devil used the same route, the fiend!!! On with Part Four and sadly the end of the book

Part Four - "I have tricked you many times, for although I love you, Shan, you are not really clever." Blimey a tad patronizing! And sadly it's the end. You'll have to read it yourself to find out what happens but I think I can let you know "Fu Manchu never declares a truce. He has merely bowed to someone he respects".

Flash Harper - I am not quite sure why, or how this cove has gate-crashed the Great Doctor's paper, but I really like the art in this one.   

Verdict: A MASSIVE hit I LOVED this book. I think I maybe have drunk some of his potion, "Long live the Evil Dr Fu Manchu!"
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:13:28 PM »

Thumbs down for me, Fu ManChu, Charlie Chan and the like have never been able to hold my interest. to be fair I did skim through the pages but I did not see anything interesting enough to me to compel me to read the words.

Not much on detective type comics in general.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:17:07 PM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 01:22:21 AM »

loved it all...you got Wally Wood art and Sax (One Damned Thing After Another) Rohmer at the keyboard..you know, Crashryan, I think the big reason people would even read Fu anymore is the details of a bygone era...my kid does the same thing with HAWAII FIVE O re-runs from the 70's...it was why I read Chan when I was a kid...and got hooked on the first series of movies before Mantan Moreland.  Fu I dug because of Christopher Lee playing him in the Hammer films...maybe Rohmer should have written for comic books in the first place...because you're right, it moves a lot better then the book.

The colouring could have been better, but all was forgiven when they lit up that pyramid. Laughed out loud twice. The first time when when I saw the Fu Bar sign behind the lovers...(I dove right in after reading it was Wally Wood behind the wheel and didn't read the rest) the other time was at the end when Daughter of Fu tells the blonde guy she loves him, but he's dumb. Perfect.

Nice escapist stuff. Hey, you guys would know...do I remember this correctly? That Flash Gordon and Ming and HIS daughter were based on Fu, or was it the other way around??
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 01:46:59 AM »

Definitely Fu First. The original Fu Manchu novel was published in 1913! Daughter came along in 1917 (as a teen) and grew up to get top billing in 1931 (Daughter of Fu Manchu).
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 03:52:08 AM »

A late addition to this discussion...I happened across this biographical article by Michael T. Gilbert (from Alter Ego magazine) tracing Wallace Wood's rocky life. The author tries a bit too hard to make his story follow a theme, but overall it's a balanced examination of the highs and lows in the career of a self-destructive genius.

http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/articles/08wood.html

The saddest part, the most unfair part, is that so much of the recognition and so many of the collections only came after Wood's death, when they didn't do him any good. Good ol' alcohol...
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 01:31:36 AM »

hey, just like Orson Welles said:"People are just going to LOVE me after I die.." Thanks for the article..always enjoyed Gilbert's MR MONSTER
ip icon Logged

Ratty

message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 12:25:45 AM »

The Fu Manchu series' major problem is the good Doctor's omnipotence. In the final scene (one of those grand set-pieces), in which Fu gives Shan and Rima a wedding gift, Petrie's analysis is ridiculous. Why should Fu "respect" Greville? Shan and Nayland Smith simply fight a succession of futile holding actions necessitated by Sir Lionel's rash behavior. The only reason Greville has a clue about what happened is that Fah Lo Suee restores his memory.

I wondered this to, when I read the novel a couple years ago. The only reason I could surmise is that Fu respects Greville for cheating death at his (Fu's) hands so many times. As blogger/reviewer Doc Hermes pointed out more than once Fu Manchu gives out his respect far too freely. He gives an inordinate amount of praise to Dr. Petrie over multiple books because he believed Petrie had solved some formula of his, when actually K
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:36:24 AM by Ratty »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 01:44:39 AM »

Bride was the first Fu book that I ever read. I got a nice hardback copy but missing the dust jacket. So I guess I started out with good Fu. Not sure what other books I have read because it has been awhile.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 02:33:09 AM »

Since no one else has brought it up I feel compelled to repeat the bogus fortune cookie message:

Wise man says: all man eat, but few man chew.
ip icon Logged

Ratty

message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 01:32:26 PM »

Bride was the first Fu book that I ever read. I got a nice hardback copy but missing the dust jacket. So I guess I started out with good Fu. Not sure what other books I have read because it has been awhile.

Nice! Yeah nothing like a good hardback for easy reading. I've just been working my way through the series via 1960s/1970s paperbacks, mostly bought in one go on ebay years ago. (The series only recently came back in print I believe.) But at least the typesetting on them is better than many I've seen.

One interesting thing you see going from the early volumes to later is that Rohmer's style and plots are adapted to the times in which he writes.
The first book was written on the eve of WW1, with Sherlock Holmes Nayland Smith and Dr. Watson Dr. Petrie on the case to stop a series of short stories- er, plots, of an advanced agent of a new Chinese Empire. One that's about to rise up and swallow Europe, just as Europe had swallowed swathes of the rest of the world over the previous century.

Then with books 4 and 5 the now-antiquated Holmes/Watson pastiche is dropped for a more recognizably modern espionage story for the 1930s. These are largely set in Egypt, which was the area of "the east" Rohmer was actually interested in. Greville also replaces Petrie as narrator but always came off as annoying to me personally. By the time you get to book 8 (President Fu Manchu) Fu is exploiting the American depression (which he mentions he caused in I think book 6) to try and install a puppet dictator as US President. Hitler's government in Germany is mentioned, it's a bit surreal.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:37:42 PM by Ratty »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 10:21:08 PM »

Ratty, I agree Rohmer had a great interest in Egypt. "Tales of Secret Egypt" was one of the first of his novels I read, followed by "Green Eyes of Bast" and "Quest of the Sacred Slipper". Although the last two don't actually take place in Egypt, the subjects are definitely Egyptian in origin.

I only later started to read the Fu books. While I enjoyed them, I prefer the Egyptian stories.

Project Gutenberg has several of Rohmer's novels available for free download if anyone is interested. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 12:06:31 AM »

Like Bowers my first contact with Sax Rohmer wasn't Fu Manchu. I'd heard of Fu, of course, but had never seen the books. I found my first Rohmer at our local library. It was Bimbashi Baruk of Egypt, which turns out to be a much later work (1944). I remember liking it but I don't recall anything about it (that was some 50 years ago--gulp!). Around the same time Ace published a stand-alone novel, The Day the World Ended. I liked that one, too, and sought out the Pyramid Fu Manchu reprints. However I only read the first two or three before deciding to spend my handful of dimes on comic books instead. In the intervening years I've read several of Rohmer's non-series titles like Quest of the Sacred Slipper and Green Eyes of Bast.

Sacred Slipper reminds me a lot of Mask of Fu Manchu in that the English protagonists basically steal the title artifact, bringing upon themselves unending grief, until they finally throw in the towel and give the thing back. I didn't find myself feeling much sympathy for the main characters because, really, they asked for it.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.