in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 236 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Hit Comics 39

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Hit Comics 39  (Read 700 times)

netrap

message icon
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:00:01 AM »

It is curious to know that the writer of this story (Otto Binder?) knew of Fate Marable--although he artist drew Marable and his musicians as being White!

Also, the Cherry Sisters were a quartet during most of their career (viz: Wikipedia).

I have informed a prominent jazz collector about this one, and he can run with it if he feels like doing so.

Link to the book: Hit Comics 39
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 05:02:44 AM »

I wouldn't blame the artist (Al Bryant). Looks to me like those characters could be African-American. It's likely a colouring error--someone probably forgot to give a note that those band members should have brown skin colour.

Not surprising that the writer would know about Fate Marable. If it was Otto Binder, Binder was friends with Julius Schwartz who had a passion for jazz. But it's likely, too, many other writers would have known about Marable in the '40s.

It is strange that Marable appears at this time in the story, I guess. Because this issue is dated Spring 1946 and according to Wikipedia Fate Marable died on January 16 1947.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.