in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,177 books
 New: 244 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Military Comics 13

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Military Comics 13  (Read 395 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: June 10, 2019, 12:30:05 AM »

Lovely art on the Blackhawk tale. The notes suggest Alex Kotzky may have helped Reed Crandall. I could imagine Kotzky assisting with the inks. They're dramatic but not always as precise as Crandall's inks usually were. What an incredible figure artist Crandall was! The story's not bad, either.

Who the heck is Zeg? Is he Hendrickson under another name? Hendy shows up in several panels but isn't named. Exactly when did Quality decide upon the final Blackhawk roster?

Link to the book: Military Comics 13
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 03:04:06 AM »

Answering my own question: GCD says the Blackhawks' membership stabilized in #16. But it seems to have taken a couple more issues for "Henrikson"-->"Hendrikson"-->"Hendrickson."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:11:45 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:50:57 AM »

Answering my own question: GCD says the Blackhawks' membership stabilized in #16. But it seems to have taken a couple more issues for "Henrikson"-->"Hendrikson"-->"Hendrickson."

I think it may have just been "Hendrik" in a couple instances as well. That, and there seemed to be some vacillating on whether Hendrikson was Dutch or an anti-Nazi German national.

Chuck didn't seem to be around in the early issues. Zeg and Boris got mentioned by name in that brief period where they were still trying to nail down the roster, but if they actually appear, it's in group shots and neither was specifically identified individually -- before disappearing altogether.

In the earliest issues, when they first established Blackhawk Island, there seems to be some hint that there's a larger support crew of personnel behind the scenes, before they decided to drop that idea altogether.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:30:17 AM »

I can't speak about the early issues, not familiar with them, but it always struck me that the standard line-up consists of citizens of what were then occupied nations. [Blackhawk is Polish of course] That had to have been deliberate. DC, in any attempts to continue or renew the concept have never seen the implications of this. In the more recent incarnations there is rarely an emphasis on the fact that they are aviators. planes don't feature too strongly and they often operate more like a ground-based squad. Yet another property DC has the rights to, and  they haven't figured out what to do with it.         
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »

I can't speak about the early issues, not familiar with them, but it always struck me that the standard line-up consists of citizens of what were then occupied nations. [Blackhawk is Polish of course] That had to have been deliberate. DC, in any attempts to continue or renew the concept have never seen the implications of this. In the more recent incarnations there is rarely an emphasis on the fact that they are aviators. planes don't feature too strongly and they often operate more like a ground-based squad. Yet another property DC has the rights to, and  they haven't figured out what to do with it.       

It's by no means conclusive that Blackhawk is Polish. That's what most readers would assume from the first story in MILITARY COMICS #1, given no further information, but there's nothing precluding him and his brother and sister being just visitors in Poland.  Blackhawk's brother's name is Jack, and his sister's name is Connie, and while they're all obviously IN Poland when Von Tepp bombs the house with his brother and sister in it, killing them, Blackhawk is never actually positively identified as a Polish national, and there's nothing particularly Polish-sounding (as opposed to "Stanislaus") about the names Jack or Connie. So what was he doing in Poland when Von Tepp bombed the place? It's possible he's a volunteer flyer. The captions in the origin story remark on "the lone pilot's" jet-black plane, and refer to him as "the mysterious flyer", even before the death of his brother and sister, so there's already a hint of the Blackhawk identity he's later to assume. A later 're-origin' story from BLACKHAWK #50 (March 1952) finally definitely established Blackhawk's nationality as American. And after all, we already had Stanislaus, who's obviously Polish, to represent that Nazi-conquered nation. But then, we also had Chuck, who's identified as American from the start -- but darn it all, the minute he's introduced, he disrupts that beautiful "airmen of occupied nations" model. But let's be realistic... it's an American comic book, after all. It's easy to see, however, that in 1952, it probably made better sense to positively identify Blackhawk as American, for an audience of American comic book readers.

Here's the link to that page:
https://box00.comicbookplus.com/viewer/27/2776bb2b6d43c12c63c1b245e7c7542f/12.jpg

In Mark Evanier and Dan Spiegle's run on the DC title (issues #251-273; 1982-84), he modified that Quality Comics origin just slightly to establish Blackhawk as an American citizen of Polish ancestry. The later-1980s DC reboot by Howard Chaykin was the first to definitively identify Blackhawk's true identity as Janos Prohaska, a Polish citizen.

You should also consider that DC didn't treat them as a ground-based military unit out of sheer ignorance. That seems quite deliberate to me, as while war comics continued to remain popular for years, the romance of the aviator-adventurer dimmed quite a bit during the late 50s and early 60s, the dawn of the space age, when astronauts would briefly assume the popularity formerly devoted to aviators -- in fact, you can argue that had already been happening ever since Captain Video and Tom Corbett, Space Cadet.

Stuff I did not know until recently about Blackhawk, looking over the public domain (and mostly never-reprinted-by-DC-anyway) stories posted here:

1)  "Lady Blackhawk" (a.k.a. Zinda Blake) never appeared during the Quality Comics era. She was not introduced until DC issue #133 in 1959.

2)  The War Wheel (often seen in flashbacks to WWII in DC stories) never actually appeared during WWII in the Quality Comics era. It wasn't introduced until 1952.

3)  Nothing from the DC era really prepares you to experience the raw actuality of Chop Chop, in his original Quality Comics incarnation. The DC stories from the 50's might still be racist, but not to that extreme. And the Chinese were supposed to be the good guys, our allies in the fight against the axis powers. It does kind of help put the whole "Jap-a-Nazi rat" thing in perspective.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:20:11 PM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 05:53:56 AM »

Hopefully this will be my last post on the subject! Re:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:07:01 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.