in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Can't Download - Resetting Download Limits

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

topic icon Author Topic: Can't Download - Resetting Download Limits  (Read 111601 times)

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Bandwidth troubles
« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2010, 04:36:01 PM »

You're almost to Jr Member and you'll get more bandwidth at that time.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #251 on: March 19, 2010, 07:51:50 PM »

Well, Jon,
when you get the computer and hard drive manufacturers to use such terminology, then I'll adopt it, too. As it is now, it's just a private semantic - not especially useful for communicating to a general audience.

(|:{>

The point is the hard drive manufacturers apparently ARE using that terminology -- at least they aren't using the other one -- as they label as 250 Gb hard drives, disks that clearly don't have 250 Gb by the 1024 to a kilo terminology. 

It's the standard terminology that isn't so useful for communication because it means different things to different people or at least in different contexts.  Everyone agrees on what Kibi, Mebi, etc. mean. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:54:59 PM by JonTheScanner »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:24 PM »

I was confused, Jon, and now that I understand what you're saying, I agree, but, trust me on this one, not "Everyone agrees on what Kibi, Mebi, etc. mean." Because up until your post, I, for one, had never even HEARD the words, let alone knew what they meant and agreed with the definitions.

ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2010, 01:19:33 AM »

Jim, I suppose that's always true of some words.  I should have been more careful.  Everyone who knows the words agrees on what they mean.  They are standardized and accepted by relevant organizations.  See e.g.,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebi#IEC_standard_prefixes
ip icon Logged

kosmic64

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: kosmic64
message icon
« Reply #254 on: March 20, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »

If you've ever wondered why your 250 GB hard drive only has about 238 GB of space, it's because the hard drive manufacturers get to have the best of both worlds. They agreed that since everybody THOUGHT 250 GB = 250 000 000 000, that's how they would label their drives. But your OS isn't stupid and it knows that 250 000 000 000 is REALLY only 238 GB, so that's what it shows you.

Well that does explain a lot. My "640gb" hard drive shows to be only 582gb. Always wondered about that. You learn the darndest things on this site...  :)
ip icon Logged

wildbill

message icon
« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »

Same problems with the bandwith.  Registered user since March 2008.  Would it be possible to reset it ?  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »

Limits reset on monday
ip icon Logged

mjb0123

message icon
« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2010, 09:14:11 PM »

I haven't downloaded in months and it is saying I CAN'T?? Can anyone tell me why?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #258 on: March 20, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »

Yes...Oh you actually want the answer :) Newbies get 200mg or 20 files a week and must be reset. You have been set for this week
ip icon Logged

skeelow

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: skeelow
message icon
« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2010, 02:54:50 AM »

I have this error...please help.. I can't download.....

Error: Your session ID does not match the session ID for this download link. If you are following this link from our site, please report it to the admin.. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2010, 03:02:48 AM »

skeelow, you have bandwidth so what I think the problem is you need to refresh the download page and quickly press the download button again.
ip icon Logged

skeelow

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: skeelow
message icon
« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »

it didn't work...
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

hawk1

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: hawk1
message icon
« Reply #262 on: March 21, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »

Hi I have been trying to download daily for a week. Could you please reset me or whatever. Thanks!
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »

hawk, all newbies will be set tomorrow with their weekly download limit of 200mb/20 books per week.
ip icon Logged

hawk1

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #264 on: March 21, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »

Well thank you very much. I think I've been a member for 2 years or so.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #265 on: March 21, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »

Wow! That's a post a year!  ;D
Actually you can upgrade yourself to unlimited downloads by donating money or scans (let Janus or a mod know) or contributing to the community here by posting. Something valuable, not 'omg, this comix r 1337!'
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #266 on: March 21, 2010, 05:53:06 PM »

Well thank you very much. I think I've been a member for 2 years or so.

I wish I had a $1 for every time something like the above has been written lately.

It does not matter that you have been a member for 1 year or 3 years -- your present situation is a reflection shared by many -- you join the site, take the scans, almost never contribute posts and never donate scans or cash donations. Without those things you are a newbie. Plain and simple. The system recognizes you as a newbie. That means you have yet to do anything to even near Jr. Member status, much less VIP status.

The site nearly crashed into the abyss and almost died out -- now all we hear is "I can't download" "I'm so annoyed, I've been a member for a million years and can't download" "whine cry complain whimper putter grumble" -- enough already!  >:( >:( >:(

Contribute -- or don't. But stop complaining because you are now a victim of your decisions.

ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #267 on: March 21, 2010, 06:00:14 PM »

;D to boox!
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »

;D to boox!

I'm not trying to be mean, Astaldo. I'm simply tired of the near endless complaining. I won't make it another week in the forum if this stuff continues -- I'll have to stay out of the forum to keep my blood pressure low!  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #269 on: March 21, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »

Most complainers are those who pop up after however long and expect to download but can not. Anyone who has not been logged in since the restart has zero bandwidth and files until they are turned on. So in one sense they have to complain to get started. Hopefully this aspect can be automated also
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #270 on: March 21, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »

;D to boox!

I'm not trying to be mean, Astaldo. I'm simply tired of the near endless complaining. I won't make it another week in the forum if this stuff continues -- I'll have to stay out of the forum to keep my blood pressure low!  ;D

B.

Believe me I understand! In real life I'm a customer service supervisor and one of my jobs is to get to listen to customer's complain. No matter the situation, I have to stay nice and calm and smile.
As Narf said tho, for the time being they have to say something to be heard. But I think it's good you stress contributing to the site in some way shape or form.
ip icon Logged

hawk1

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #271 on: March 21, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »

Gosh guys I was not complaining at all. I've been on eBay almost 11 years and comic book/strip collecting since the 2nd Robert Overprice Guide and Vol.2 of Steranko's History of the Comics (Blackhawk etc). I think that was 1971. I was just commenting that 2 years was not "new" to me. But I do understand your point and when I can figure out how,I will contibute alot of "Golden Age" aviation/adventure books to your site.You helped me "Understand" what was in Contact, Captain Flight, Captain Aero etc and I have search out and bought most of the rest of the "runs". I do appreciate your site. Thanks again!
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #272 on: March 21, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »

hawk, please don't take it personally. For a long time Narfstar was the only mod on the site and it seemed he was here 365 24/7 trying to get all newbies up and running. The "thank you's" were few and far between. We've slowly been getting the site running again. New improvements and new features are in the wings. Newbies will be reset on Monday of each week until the system does it automatically. You will have 200mb/20 books per week. Until everything is automated we ask that you have patience and bear with us.
Thanks
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »

Hawk newbie refers only to number of posts not length of time. It would be great if you can finish of some of those great Aviation series. Donating scans of those books would up you to VIP and no limit downloads. So it is a win win. We look forward to your scans
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #274 on: March 21, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »

So I'm guessing you like aviation comics? Especially with a name like hawk! I love WWII aviation history but for some reason have yet to start reading Wings.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.