in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Listenin' to

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Listenin' to  (Read 90616 times)

FraBig

message icon
Re: Watcha Listenin' to
« Reply #375 on: November 11, 2023, 10:49:31 AM »

Cool, Panther! I've never watched that movie but that song is pretty fun.

Speaking of Dire Straits, here's an awesome rendition of Money for Nothing, featuring Sting, Eric Clapton and Phil Collins!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CB9OrGZ7-c
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #376 on: November 12, 2023, 01:01:11 PM »

Many, many thanks for the Dire Straits concert.

You're welcome :) and thanks for Dave Edmunds, unfortunately at some point you didn't hear much from him anymore, just like it was with Steve Miller, as I just remember. But I have CDs and DVDs of these artists and I also prefer listening to the old pieces.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #377 on: December 25, 2023, 10:20:10 PM »

Adventures by Morse: The City of the Dead

As I've said before, my appreciation for Old Time Radio was born in my elementary school days, when chronic headaches sent me to bed early to lie in a darkened room listening to our old Silvertone AM clock radio. There was a minor nostalgia fad going on and several radio stations broadcast OTR shows in the evenings. I was introduced to The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Suspense, Have Gun Will Travel, and more. The cream of the crop was I Love a Mystery.

The serial was broadcast by some far-distant station. My memory says it was in central Canada, but I could be wrong. Listening gave me the full Golden Age experience. Huddled close to the speaker, bathed by the pale green clock back light, I strained to hear through the static, constantly adjusting the tuning knob as the signal faded in and out. I'll never forget that thrill. The serials were "Bury Your Dead, Arizona" and "The Temple of the Vampires." The finest mind candy!

(Ours was red and didn't have the day/date)

While I've never been a full-on OTR collector, I've revisited ILAM occasionally. Some of the glamour has rubbed off as older me recognizes the clunky parts. Now here I am again thanks to Covid. Stuck at home with no energy and nothing to do I spend hours staring at a stupid screen. I turned to audio drama to ease my eye strain. I decided to renew my acquaintance with Carleton E Morse by listening to Adventures by Morse, an "ILAM in everything but name" which Morse launched following the cancellation of the original program. The entire series (52 episodes) is here on CB+.

The show was packaged in groups of 13 episodes: one ten-chapter story followed by a three-chapter story. These were syndicated to local stations. Morse ran the operation himself, sending out transcriptions (phonograph records) to subscribing stations who returned them after use. Consequently, unlike most OTR shows, the entire run of Adventures by Morse still exists in complete high-quality form. I started at the top, with The City of the Dead.

Captain Bart Friday stands in for ILAM's Jack Packard. It seems his cantankerous elderly father is "mayor" of The City of the Dead, a remote cemetery that has long since ceased getting new residents. The mayor and his friend, a country doctor who retired when the last of his patients moved into The City of the Dead, are beset by grave robbers, a bell ringing in a decaying church that has no bell, and a young couple stranded nearby when their car is hijacked. Captain Friday must sort everything out while dodging a murderous figure with animal-like claws, finding and losing several stray corpses, and being stymied at every turn because none of the others will tell the truth about what they know.

It's a typical Carleton Morse setup. He had a knack for keeping a large cast moving in a complicated story without losing the audience. All the mysteries are satisfactorily explained in the end. Unfortunately all the explanation is condensed into a final-episode lecture. I presume this was because Morse didn't want to spread the solution over two episodes. That's too bad because some of the information comes from someone we never meet. It would have been better to have heard it first hand.

Overall I enjoyed the story with a couple of exceptions. My biggest gripe is the overuse of the "we haven't time for that now" trope in which Friday refuses to answer a key question so he can get on with the story. This clumsy withholding of information was unfortunately a common shtick in OTR adventure serials. The acting is generally good though the young man needs more training and his girlfriend spends too much time crying and moaning. Sound effects are adequate.

"The City of the Dead" was worth the time spent listening despite some maddening padding in spots. By the way, in this storyline Friday's drawling sidekick Skip Turner, a clone of ILAM's Doc, doesn't appear. He shows up for the first time in the following 3-parter.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #378 on: December 26, 2023, 02:11:26 AM »

Adventures by Morse: A Coffin for the Lady

This is the three-part adventure which followed the 10-part "City of the Dead." It's unrelated to the longer story. Captain Friday, this time with his cornpone-mouthed sidekick Skip Turner, investigates shady dealings on Canada's northern coast. It's an efficient, satisfying tale. Being only three episodes there's no padding and things move at a good clip. Unfortunately the whole thing is almost torpedoed by an international cast of graduates from the Dick van Dyke School of Authentic Accents. Migawd, they're terrible! Also, Skip Turner is something of a jerk.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #379 on: December 26, 2023, 02:34:27 AM »

Adventures by Morse: The Cobra King Strikes Back

Now this is more like it! Friday and Skip accompany an archaeological expedition into the Cambodian jungle, searching for a temple-city similar to Angkor Wat. They run into way more than they expected. This is Morse doing what he does best: full-throated over-the-top fantasy adventure. Starting on a historical note, the story soon spins off into a completely bonkers mash-up of snakes, gorillas, menacing priests, and lycanthropy.

Although one of the cast offers a welcome admonition not to lump all "Orientals" together, the story is a bit too heavy on the "Mysterious Orient" stuff. Setting that aside, it's a great ride. The huge final battle, during which the good guys are hanging from ladders on the walls inside a hollow mountain, in near-total darkness, fighting off an assault by a crowd of howling beast-men, is an imaginative feast.

One of Morse's trademarks was to have characters paint elaborate verbal pictures of the show's exotic locales. This makes for some very unrealistic dialogue, but if you accept the writing style you're treated to some vibrant images.

The sour note in all this is Skip Turner. The comic-relief hot-pants "ladies' man" is an old cliche, but Skip takes it to the limit and beyond. No matter how dire the straits all the can think of is ogling women. It's super-annoying.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #380 on: December 26, 2023, 03:14:05 AM »

Adventures by Morse: The Girl on Shipwreck Island

It's fashionable today to wave off questionable content in old-time media by saying, "It's just a product of the time." Well, I can't believe that there weren't people in 1944 who were offended by this preposterous pile of rubbish. Spoilers ahead, because I want to save you the pain of listening to it.

This three-parter finds Friday and Skip making an emergency landing on a tiny Pacific island. As they work on their plane they discover the remains of a yacht driven aground by a storm. Soon they discover the Girl in the title, dodge bullets, and start piling up the bodies. Thereupon hangs a plot that reads like a parody of those old "men's sweat" magazines. During the two months since the shipwreck, the woman, a feisty British ladies' maid, has been living on one side of the island, holding off the other survivors, all men. In the meantime these men are hunting and killing each other. Why? Because each wants to be the last man alive so he can "have" the woman to himself.

Our heroes try to get the woman to come with them on their now-repaired plane. Half the time she's willing, but the other half of the time she'd rather stay. In fact she rather likes the attention! Finally it's down to our boys and Pirate Manuel fighting for possession while the lady herself takes a powder. It turns out that all this time she's been hiding a secret ally, another man who has befriended her and helps protect her honor. Once Pirate Manuel is vanquished, the secret helper prepares to execute Friday and Skip because--wait for it!--he is in fact obsessed with the girl himself and wants to be stranded on the island with her forever so he can "play her like a violin."

Perched atop this claptrap is Skip Turner's "comical" personality. No matter how dangerous the situation, no matter if the woman has just been kidnapped and traumatized, all Skip can talk about is getting his hands on her. He badgers her to the point that I longed for her to run a boot up his manly limbs and rearrange the family jewels.

Once more ethnic accents prove the downfall of the Adventures by Morse troupe. The character named Cockney and the shipwrecked maid share Liza Doolittle accents while Pirate Manuel works on his Alfonso Bedoya. There is one saving grace: the talking parrot, which sounds like some guy striving unsuccessfully to imitate a parrot, turns out to be some guy striving unsuccessfully to imitate a parrot. This mess of a story was so wretched that I lost my urge to listen to the rest of the series. Maybe another time.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #381 on: December 27, 2023, 08:28:19 AM »

Crash, I just finished "City of the Dead" about a month ago! Love listening to OTR while puttering around the basement. I agree the second entry, "A Coffin for the Lady", wasn't up to the standard of the first show. I found it annoying and more than a bit boring. Wasn't going to listen to any more of them, but your critique of "The Cobra King Strikes Back" piqued my interest, so I guess I'll give it a try! Cheers, bowers
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2024, 03:38:26 AM »

Some soundtracks - obviously with Prof in mind
But I do love this stuff.
I put it on in the background while reading appropriate books.
Gill Melle is surprisingly good.
Brings back memories of the shows.
There is also his soundtrack for the Andromeda Strain. on YouTube   

Columbo Short Fuse: Opening Credits (Gil Mellé) 1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIsM8k-G0g

Columbo ~ Short Fuse 1972 music by Gil Mellé
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkJPim9Fj3s

The music of Night Gallery (1969 1973) ~ Bits and Pieces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QemplarETKc

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (Original TV Soundtrack) - Gil Mellé [album]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4K7RP777Zk

enjoy!
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #383 on: January 22, 2024, 11:00:26 AM »

I'm a huge Tony Rice fan, and it happens a lot of his songs are Gordon Lightfoot covers. I've been recently exploring more of Lightfoot's discography and he surely was an awesome songwriter. Here's one of my favourites among his tunes:

Carefree Highway
https://youtu.be/mys5G8ZqjrE?si=kkObVN8cEu5qiWFX
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #384 on: February 08, 2024, 10:48:05 AM »

Here's another favourite of mine by Gordon Lightfoot. Been listening a lot to him recently.

Endless Wire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTWqQ3gLl88
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #385 on: February 09, 2024, 07:19:04 AM »

Yeah, Mr. Lightfoot was definitely one of a kind! He sang what he felt and took us all along for the ride.
I'm currently burning a new batch of CDs for the car. A mix of all my favorite country-rock, bluegrass, Celtic folk and instrumentals, and whatever else I can find to feel the joy! I played a lotta blues and retro-rock during the Fall and Winter, and I don't care what the calendar says- I'm welcoming Spring early!
I also found some OTR programs I'm really enjoying. Two series featuring John Creasey's creation, that dapper amateur sleuth, "The Toff". I liked the books and was pleasantly surprised to find the recordings were very well done, with great sound and production values.
Hope everyone is safe and well! Cheers, bowers
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #386 on: February 09, 2024, 02:15:25 PM »

This fall and winter I've been listening a lot to the Grateful Dead, Jim Croce and obviously Lightfoot. I don't know what I'll be listening to in spring, but I'm open to new genres and some change.

Today I finally managed to listen to the most recent John Denver album "The Last Recordings", which I have bought on CD. They released it this year but it's a collection of some of his most icomic songs as he recorded them in his last recording session in 1996, shortly before he tragically died in that plane crash. I found it wonderful, some songs are even better than their original recordings.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #387 on: February 10, 2024, 12:10:09 AM »

The BetterDays was a British RnB group in the 60's who were known from gigs but never released much but by many are considered the equals of the Animals or the Stones.

The Betterdays - Don't Want That - 1965 45rpm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2MPgQ4_4Do

The Betterdays  Route 66
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcA5UUSkVtg&list=OLAK5uy_mDvikabSqdECkQ3y3xa6LmmfJRzSCqAVA&index=29

The Betterdays Don't Start Me To Talking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?=OsPx0uABTYA&list=OLAK5uy_mDvikabSqdECkQ3y3xa6LmmfJRzSCqAVA&index=31

There has now been an anthology released. It's worth getting hold of.

Enjoy!     
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #388 on: February 10, 2024, 09:50:42 AM »

Great stuff, Panther! Takes me back to the days of smoke-filled bars and elbow-to elbow dance floors! Happy times, indeed. Cheers, bowers
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.