in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 191 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The JVJ Postage Fund

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

topic icon Author Topic: The JVJ Postage Fund  (Read 95385 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: The JVJ Postage Fund
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2009, 03:15:12 AM »

Well done T-U!
+karma.

Thanks for helping this worthy cause.
:)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2009, 12:00:33 AM »

Received $25 from Twice-Up and $5 from Rez.

Thanks, guys.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2009, 03:12:29 AM »

Thanks Jim.
Does that mean our balance for the Fund is: $148.20?

Is that up to date?

Our hearty thanks to Everyone who has helped with the fund.  A quick glance at the potential number of books still needing scanning and we can see the fund will have to be an on going concern for some time.

Thanks again GAC!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2009, 07:30:49 PM »

$14.55 spent today - postage on comics to OtherEric.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2009, 07:25:50 PM »

Thanks Jim.
I think that should mean our balance for the Fund is now: $133.65
ip icon Logged

JimShelley

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2009, 10:31:09 AM »

Jim,

I sent a donation earlier this week. Did you ever get that?

- Jim Shelley
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2009, 11:53:37 PM »

Karma for the donation Jim!

Jim is in France for a month or so right now so I'm not sure if he'll be seeing this, etc.
But your donation is certainly appreciated by the gang here.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2009, 01:00:28 AM »

yep, kudos to Jim.

The needed funds for the postage is so minor when compared with what is being given to comicdom at this time when technology presents us with the opportunity.

If everyone could just dip into their mad money now and then and skip the fries and a coke once in a while to send in $5 it would keep the whole operation flowing smooth.

Just saying...
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2009, 02:41:12 AM »

As others have said, Jim is away at the moment.  He still pops up, just not quite as regularly.  With that said, the contribution is very appreciated.  I'm scanning away so that I'm ready for more books from JVJ as soon as he gets back!
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »

Jim,

- Jim Shelley

I received the $20 donation, Jim.
I didn't acknowledge it right away because it had your real name on it and people seem to value their various degrees of anonymity here. Didn't want to say anything until I knew it was okay. Thanks for the contribution.

Having a great time in Paris. Had dinner Friday with Jean-Claude Mazieres http://www.noosfere.org/mezieres/ and visited his studio. Today we went to the southern flea market with Florence Cestac http://www.cestac.com/cmoi.html. It's always fun here. We're going to Belgium (Brussels and Bruges) on Tuesday where we hope to see the Atomium and the Frank Brangwyn http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/brangwyn.htm museum, respectively.

More when I slow down...

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »

Thanks for the updates Jim!  Have fun!  :)

I think that should mean our balance for the Fund is now: $153.65
Fantastic work gang!  Thanks again to Jim and everyone else who have contributed to the fund.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JimShelley

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »

Jim,

- Jim Shelley

I received the $20 donation, Jim.
I didn't acknowledge it right away because it had your real name on it and people seem to value their various degrees of anonymity here. Didn't want to say anything until I knew it was okay. Thanks for the contribution.

Cool. I was a little worried there! :)

Hope you are enjoying Paris!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

NotAlbert

message icon
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »

Just sent Jim $22 to kick the balance just past $175 because it seemed like the thing to do.

Quoting rez:  "The needed funds for the postage is so minor when compared with what is being given to comicdom at this time when technology presents us with the opportunity.

If everyone could just dip into their mad money now and then and skip the fries and a coke once in a while to send in $5 it would keep the whole operation flowing smooth."

Well said, rez...

Just to personalize it a little:  I haven't bothered to add up my contributions to the fund but if I did, and then took the total and doubled it, I would still be making out like a bandit when I think what I'm getting out of Jim's generosity and the dedicated efforts of all the scanners! (I'm notorious for run-on sentences.)  Every time  I see a new slew of scans at GAC, I feel a little like a kid on Christmas morning, getting way more than he deserves!

Also, I just re-watched the end of Bill Murray's Scrooged (1988).  My favorite quote from the film:

"If you believe in this spirit thing, the miracle will happen and then you'll want it to happen again tomorrow. You won't be one of those (Scrooges) who says Christmas is once a year and it's a fraud...it's not! It can happen every day..you've just got to want that feeling. And if you  like it and you want it you'll get greedy for it...you'll want it every day of your life, and it can happen to you. I believe in it now! I believe it's gonna happen to me now, and I'm ready for it. It's great! It's a good feeling..it's better than I've felt in a long time! I'm ready....have a Merry Christmas, everyone."

I bet I've watched that part over a hundred times over the years and it still motivates me to give what I can to a variety of worthy causes (most of which don't involve comics.)

Like rez says, it doesn't have to be much. If you can only spare $5, that's cool.  But if you can't afford anything, then just enjoy reading these rare comics and maybe later on you'll be in a better position to help...

Well, clearly I'm rambling here so I'd better return to 'lurker mode' for the time being.

God (or whomever you prefer) bless us, everyone!

=^ Dave
(NotAlbert)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2009, 12:10:08 AM »

Wow, well done Dave!   :o
Karma for the donation and the eloquent posting.  :)

The balance for the Fund is now: $175.65
;D
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2009, 04:05:53 AM »

Yoc-
Who are the scanners that have been working on Jim's books?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2009, 05:37:13 AM »

Members of The JVJ Project Scanners ranks include -
OtherEric, JonTheScanner, Ontology, Geo, Twobyfour and Narf (no longer a JVJ scanner atm)

Jim only wants this limited number of scanners so he can keep things sorted on his end.  Bless him for his original offering and all the books he's sent out since we've started this, IMO, the most important project in our hobby.

And a big thank-you also to all the donors out there providing much needed funds for postage!
:D
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2009, 01:33:39 AM »

Thanks, Dave (and all the rest of the donators).
I just arrived back home and am able to send out new batches to any of the scanners who are ready to receive them. Who's up for more?

ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »

Not me yet, Jim.  I've fallen far behind in my scanning schedule.  I'm trying to just scan (and not edit until later) so I can get the Black Diamonds back to you.

Jon
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »

Hard to say how great of a thing it is seeing Jim open his collection up like this and trust some folks he met on the internet enough to send books back and forth thru the mail as has been going on for what, a goodly number of months now. And the time these scanners are putting in their labor rates a high round of applause.

It's quite the thing. Haven't seen the likes of it anywhere else.
I believe we are on the cutting edge of an inroad to providing a solid long term provision for many people now, and many yet to come, to view these cherished gems before they get locked away in private safes encased in plastic containers or fade away to dust.

I'll raise a mug of ale any day to these type of folk.
ip icon Logged

ubantuban

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2009, 09:11:59 AM »

Hi! Just sent another $15 to Jim.

And as always: Keep the horror coming! ;)

ubantuban
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »

Thank-you very much Ubantuban - Karma goes out for your continued support of the project.

The balance for the Fund is now: $190.65

Well done gang!  :)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »

Money received, folks.
Thanks so much. I would DEARLY love to lower the amount in the fund by shipping some more comics to be scanned. Is any one of the scanners ready for another batch?

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2009, 03:51:44 AM »

Christmas vacation is coming soon. I do not think I may be able to do as many as last year. I would like to do one of the small flat rate priority boxes though holds about 40 books. Most of all the Hyper Mystery and New World as I really want these books, then
Heroes All V4:30 V5:2,12,18,22 V6:5,
Picture News 5-8(someone requested these), 
CHESLER Bulls Eye 11, Cap Battle 3, Dynamic 13-15,18-20,22,24, Jest 11, Maj Victory2, Punch 18,23, Red Seal 22, Skyrocket 1, Spotlight 2,
GREAT Choice 1-2, Great2,
MIKEROSS Get Lost1-3, Heart and Soul 1-2, Mr Universe3,
FOUR STAR Capt Flight 3,4,6, HiHo2 What is the Superhero Book? I can not find it on GCD. Would like it if it fits. I know the variety was to be kept down but this would knock out some complete groups of what we need. If they are difficult to get to I will choose something else.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2009, 07:41:41 AM »

That is a nice variety of books and 40 is nothing to sneeze at for a Christmas holiday project!
If Jim is ok with it I'd love to see them scanned but remember gang, Jim has asked us to limit our lists to one or two publishers per a box.

Anyone else ready for another box?

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2009, 05:13:27 AM »

With Narf's latest box of Centaurs -
The balance for the Fund is now: $170.45

Jim, please correct me if I ever get these updates wrong.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.