in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

How did you find us?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

topic icon Author Topic: How did you find us?  (Read 256382 times)

Ron Hanna

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Ron Hanna
message icon
Re: How did you find us?
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2008, 11:37:37 PM »

Well, I don't really remember who told me about this place, but I bookmarked it a while back, then my computer crashed & burned (literally), and after having Data Recovery done, I found it again in my bookmarks!  ;D

Ron
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2008, 11:39:24 PM »

Well, glad you showed, Ron. A lot of good stuff available so make yerself at home.
Cheers

Well, I don't really remember who told me about this place, but I bookmarked it a while back, then my computer crashed & burned (literally), and after having Data Recovery done, I found it again in my bookmarks!  ;D

Ron
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2008, 03:29:14 AM »

Ron

Wildcat Books? I wondered what happened to you.

B.
ip icon Logged

capt-crh

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: capt-crh
message icon
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2008, 08:51:33 PM »

There is a discussion about cbr readers for PalmOS over at www.tapland.com which had a link to this site.
ip icon Logged

alee8582

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: alee8582
message icon
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2008, 06:14:13 AM »

After visiting Jim Hanley's Universe in Manhattan and listening to a podcast interview with comic historian Christopher Knowles, I decided to do a Dogpile search up on public domain comic characters of the Golden Age. 
ip icon Logged

BillyBatson4360

message icon
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »

Hi! Longtime poster over at the Marvel Masterworks Message Boards. Found a link to this site there on a thread dedicated to the MLJ line of comics (of which I've seen very little).
ip icon Logged

frankhardy

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: frankhardy
message icon
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »

my friend had directed me to this site & forum!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2008, 04:07:44 PM »

Welcome guys!  Enjoy all the goodies!
;D
ip icon Logged

FearlessFreep

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: FearlessFreep
message icon
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »

From Prolion's link at the Jodhpur Fetish messageboard.
ip icon Logged

chuck

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: chuck
message icon
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2008, 09:39:05 PM »

I always heard my mom talk about the box of old comics my grandmother threw away, and the weird horror comics like The Crypt, and others I never got to see, so today I just thought of Googling PUBLIC DOMAIN COMICS and pickeed this site from the listings.  I just wanted to see the difference in old time art done by a human hand rather than computer rendered.

I found the site, registered about 2 hours ago, and tried to download a copy of BAFFLING MYSTERIES, but I got a message "Error: Sorry but you are not allowed to download this file as you have exceeded the number of files you are allowed to download during this period. Please check your user control panel for more information on the limits currently available to you.. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin"

I thought it was a fluke, so I tried another and got the same message.

The COVERS look good on the main page, but would like to see a whole copy.

Anybody know of where the "admin" button or contact info is so I can see if they can fix me up so I can download something?
Please let me know.

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2008, 10:42:47 PM »

I found the site, registered about 2 hours ago, and tried to download a copy of BAFFLING MYSTERIES, but I got a message "Error: Sorry but you are not allowed to download this file as you have exceeded the number of files you are allowed to download during this period. Please check your user control panel for more information on the limits currently available to you.. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin"

Anybody know of where the "admin" button or contact info is so I can see if they can fix me up so I can download something?
Please let me know.

Check out the faqs in my siggy Chuck.

B.  :)

ip icon Logged

chuck

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: chuck
message icon
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2008, 01:50:51 AM »

Thank you buddy!  I just downloaded my first comic, and now I'm downloading a file reader to check it out.

:)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

cazalum

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: cazalum
message icon
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2008, 05:54:09 AM »

I used to use z-cult a lot but when I stopped by recently I was sad to see that all of the marvel and dc material had been removed. I noticed the links to here and thought I might have a look at some of the titles from the golden age that I have heard so much about. In particular I thought I'd see if you had any of the original iteration of The Spirit.
ip icon Logged

Noodles

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Noodles
message icon
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2008, 06:44:40 AM »

Hi there
While back I got a book from my local library about golden age comics. Did a web search after reading through it and lo and behold there you were. Will have to put my hands up and say that I'm just getting into golden age but better late than never as they say. I have been well impressed with the site and the quality of scans and material is top notch!
ip icon Logged

supermanck1938

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: supermanck1938
message icon
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2008, 04:40:15 PM »

Hello from the Arizona desert.  My names Brad.  I found this site by typing Golden Age comics in the Google search engine.  I am so stoked to find this site with downloadable golden age comics.  Thanks to those of you who set this site up. 
ip icon Logged

zx_if1

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: zx_if1
message icon
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2008, 12:06:01 AM »

Hi. Google is the answer. I speak spanish myself but I like much read books in english. Escuse me if my grammar were not so good but I dont writing in english the most.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2008, 12:08:59 AM »

Hi. Google is the answer. I speak spanish myself but I like much read books in english. Escuse me if my grammar were not so good but I dont writing in english the most.

Welcome to GA-UK zx!

Do not worry about your English grammar -- I learned grammar by studying Spanish!!!  ;D ;D ;D

B. :)
ip icon Logged

lamorna

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: lamorna
message icon
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »

Hi, discovered this site half an hour ago. Big thank you to poster BJ George who gave the site a shout a few days ago on the yahoo group radiowaves
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »

Welcome aboard.  Enjoy the many many and varied offerings.  We are always looking for more contributers so if you have any public domain GA comics to add that are not already here PLEASE DO.  Again welcome  JIM
ip icon Logged

lamorna

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: lamorna
message icon
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2008, 07:12:57 PM »

Thanks for the welcome narfstar. Sorry, I bring no gifts - only found many, many here. A neighbour passed on a HUGE box of 50's & 60's comics, similar to titles here to my bruv and self. They got junked (arghh!) after we left home. Who says you don't get 2nd chances? Am in happyland just looking at the covers.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »

Well enjoy what othes have provided.  I love when I am able to provide something that may not make it here otherwise for others to read.  If it is a book you never heard of it might have come from me as I collect the odd stuff.  I am not an admin but if you enjoy the site you might want to contribute money to get VIP status and go wild downloading.  There is more here that you will love that a download limit is constraining.  JIM
ip icon Logged

roberto lira

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: roberto lira
message icon
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »

HI THERE!
l FOUND YOU BY LOOKING FOR FREE OLD ONLINE COMICS
i
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2008, 12:53:24 AM »

Hi and welcome Roberto
Do you happen to have any Chilean published or any other Spanish comics and would you consider indexing them for Grand Comics Database at www.comics.org   thanks JIM
ip icon Logged

blackorakio

message icon
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2008, 11:48:32 PM »

Just discovered this AWSOME site by chance. I was "googling" 1950's horror comic covers (guess what kind of comics I like hmmm?) and stumbled onto this treasuretrove of awsome comics!
ip icon Logged

Jeff

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Jeff
message icon
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2008, 01:12:33 AM »

I'm working on a couple of drawings and wanted to look at old styles of comic so did a google search for 1940 comics..found this site which looks brilliant.. only question is.. how do I get to a page to download a comic?? (yeah allright, I know I can hear a chuckle, but I don't normally subscribe to forums...)
cheers to all and hats off to the folk who spend their time doing these things.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.