in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Blue Beetle #14 - 18

Pages: 1 [2] 3

topic icon Author Topic: Blue Beetle #14 - 18  (Read 20720 times)

archiver_USA

• VIP
message icon
Re: Blue Beetle #14 - 18
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »

With AU it's always worth the wait!
:)

Blue Beetle #15 being processed, Blue Beetle #3 scanned in and awaiting processing, and Yellowjacket #2 on deck.
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 06:46:03 PM »

Thanks, AU! I am chomping at the bit to read Blue Beetle #15.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 07:59:04 PM »

Very exciting - thanks A_U!
:D
ip icon Logged

ChaosCharza

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: ChaosCharza
message icon
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 01:22:45 AM »

Ya, Sparky! I've been curious about this character for quite some time and am interested in how he fit into the formula.  You go, A_U!
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 11:21:13 PM »

I'm curious as well, although more from the standpoint of seeing Sparky as a costumed sidekick. Ultimately, I have a feeling it was a better "fit" than the plain clothes kid helper that he became later in the run.

He was also renamed "Spunky" in some later issues, although I'm not exactly sure why.
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »

Well, I just read Blue Beetle #15, graciously scanned and uploaded by Archiver (thanks again, AU!), and I have to admit that I really enjoyed the introduction of Sparky as BB's sidekick. I think he worked pretty well, and certainly no worse than any of the other costumed kid sidekicks of the era. Interesting that the artists seemed a little unsure of where to take his costume -- in two of the stories he's got bare legs like Robin the Boy Wonder, but in the final story his costume is more similar to BB's.

Anyway, on to Blue Beetle #16!  ;)
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »

Read Blue Beetle #15 on my lunch break. Nice scan, buddy keep it up! I never read GA Blue Beetle before so I had no idea who the kid was. When the Beetle in his civilian officer identity took Sparky to check out the bad guts I thought it was a tad irresponsible. Then I saw why he did it. I also noticed on Sparky's costume that at first his mask seemed to cover his whole head except for the top but later I could see the back of his head so it looked more like one of the cheap plastic halloween masks with the elastic on it. I also didn't understand why what appeared to be Sparky's introduction took place after the first story.
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »

Read Blue Beetle #15 on my lunch break. Nice scan, buddy keep it up! I never read GA Blue Beetle before so I had no idea who the kid was. When the Beetle in his civilian officer identity took Sparky to check out the bad guts I thought it was a tad irresponsible. Then I saw why he did it. I also noticed on Sparky's costume that at first his mask seemed to cover his whole head except for the top but later I could see the back of his head so it looked more like one of the cheap plastic halloween masks with the elastic on it. I also didn't understand why what appeared to be Sparky's introduction took place after the first story.

Holyoke seemed to make a lot of errors along those lines when they first took over the Blue Beetle title from Fox Publications. For instance, Sparky was on the cover of Blue Beetle #14, but once you started reading the book, you found out that he only "appeared" in a single page text introduction -- basically giving his background as "timid" Sparkington J. Northrup who doubles as the Beetle's two-fisted sidekick -- before indicating that he would appear in the next issue.

As for the mask and costume differences in each story from BB #15, I can only figure that the second tale was initially supposed to be in the first slot (since it's Sparky's origin), the third story with the Beetle and Sparky vs. the Vampire should be have been story #2, and the first story should have been story #3. That order would make sense in terms of the evolution of Sparky's costume. But somehow, they must have been mixed up in the publication process.

In any event, the costume that covers Sparky's head is on the covers of Blue Beetle #16 - 18, so I guess we can assume that Sparky chooses that uniform for future issues. AU would probably know more since he's actually got the comics themselves.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009, 01:40:47 AM »

Sparky -- I just got around to checking out these issues today -- Sparky -- and here I thought Blue Beetle had escaped the kid sidekick rage. Sparky...oy.

B.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009, 02:15:36 AM »

Yeah, and what's with all the grown men superheroes with little boy sidekicks? Bucky, Toro, Sparky, Robin. It just shows what an innocent time it was then. Nowadays someone would be suing someone about it... :-\
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009, 02:31:09 AM »

Well, I don't think that it was quite as "innocent" a time as modern generations seem to want to make it out to be. As for the comic books of the era, they were mainly being written for young kids, and the sidekicks were an attempt at having the readers feel like someone their age was sharing in the adventures of the hero and helping catch the bad guys. Nothing wrong with that. And besides, a lot of the superhero/kid sidekick stories were a great deal of fun (i.e. Cap and Bucky, Shield and Dusty, Black Terror and Kid Terror, etc).

On a personal note, I like the Blue Beetle/Sparky team up so far. It's cool to finally get to read those issues, and I thank AU for making it possible. For those who don't or find it hard to read, it doesn't last that long. So breathe easy.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:36:16 AM by krankyboy »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2009, 02:51:26 AM »

Yeah, and what's with all the grown men superheroes with little boy sidekicks? Bucky, Toro, Sparky, Robin. It just shows what an innocent time it was then. Nowadays someone would be suing someone about it... :-\

I guess it depends on which sidekicks one was exposed to while growing up. I find Robin, Bucky, Toro, Sandy, Roy, all "normal, of course, makes sense" sidekicks.  ;D   Sparky just caught me off guard.

In the new issues of Justice Society (which is a foul mess of plot flaws and bad research with this new story arc) a new "All American Kid" was introduced, citing that such a sidekick had served with Mr. America during the 1940s. I have not had time to look into it yet though...if I ever get any real spare time in the far future, I intend to launch a few research projects on Golden Age comics with the intent to churn out a few interesting articles.

B.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2009, 02:57:34 AM »

Yeah it makes sense now that you mention it. I know the time wasn't innocent. What I mean is, we read the books and take it for what it is. A super hero and his little buddy taking on the bad guys. Like when you see some of the movies from back then or shows like Our Gang. People put them into today's context and judge them too harshly in my opinion.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2009, 03:08:00 AM »

Yeah it makes sense now that you mention it. I know the time wasn't innocent. What I mean is, we read the books and take it for what it is. A super hero and his little buddy taking on the bad guys. Like when you see some of the movies from back then or shows like Our Gang. People put them into today's context and judge them too harshly in my opinion.

We call that "presentism", Astaldo. It is not always easy for people to keep mindful of the contexts of the subject that they are considering at the time. There are a ton of comics from the Golden Age (Funny Pages is a prime example) that have features in them that make one's head loop-de-loop. It is best to approach such items in the historical social contexts that they were presented in themselves. At least, that is my opinion regarding it.

Good thread!

B.
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2009, 03:11:32 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. And it makes me kind of sad in a way. We've become such a ridiculously cynical and suspicious society at this point -- and one that seems to prize its own comfort and entertainment above anything else. It's not that I don't get some of the reasons why, but it's often very depressing.  :(

And on that downbeat note, I can't wait for Blue Beetle #16.  :D
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2009, 03:41:27 AM »

When I was a kid we had this saying "Sticks and stones my break my bones but names will never hurt me." Today however, all will get you in trouble.
I'm enjoying Blue Beetle. Something how he lasted so long over the decades and with so many different companies.
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2009, 06:04:05 AM »

I find Blue Beetle pretty fascinating as well. I'm especially glad that Archiver has a complete run of the Fox and Holyoke books, which means that there's a good possibility of seeing every issue here on the site (along with Big 3, which AU also has in his collection) at some point. I was just especially excited about those "Sparky in costume" issues because they seemed so rare, as opposed to some of the other issues from Holyoke and Fox which had turned up from time to time. And I was not disappointed with his first appearance in Blue Beetle #15.

boox909 also brings up an interesting point about context when reading a lot of these comic books. It's important to keep that approach with certain films as well. Nothing annoys me more than when people refuse to watch a classic film from the 30's or 40's or 50's with a snide, pompous remark like, "I just can't relate to that." The truth is they could, if only the viewer is willing to understand the time and social context when the particular film was made. Of course, some movies from that period are so timeless that anyone should be able to enjoy it, regardless.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:09:52 AM by krankyboy »
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2009, 07:48:37 AM »

I Think at a later date, possibly due to another kid sidekick using the 'Sparky' name BB's poor partner was renamed 'Spunky'.

It's a wonder with a handle like that he didn't quit Fox Features to move over to Fiction House and team up with Spurt Hammond, what a pair THEY would have made !  :o ::) ;)

-Nigel
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 03:07:54 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2009, 03:38:33 PM »

I Think at a later date, possibly due to another kid sidekick using the 'Sparky' name BB's poor partner was renamed 'Spunky'.

It's a wonder with a handle like that he didn't quit Fox Features to move over to Fiction House and team up with Spurt Hammond, what a pair THEY would have made !  :o ::) ;)

-Nigel

"The Adventures of Spurt and Spunky -- The Wonder Pair!"

;D ;D ;D THAT would have been such a riot!  ;D ;D ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »

Whenever I start to think that the kid sidekick idea looks a little dangerous, I remind myself that David Farragut captained his first ship (a prize ship, but still) when he was twelve, and saw combat soon after.  The surprise is actually that so many boy heroes let themselves play second fiddle to an adult.

At the other end of the story, Admiral Farragut would see active duty until his death at sixty-nine.  Where are the costumed senior citizen sidekicks!?

And yeah, Spunky, Sparky.  Good thing he didn't stay in the title too long, otherwise he might've suffered the indignity of Sporky, Spooky, and so forth.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2009, 03:55:34 PM »

And yeah, Spunky, Sparky.  Good thing he didn't stay in the title too long, otherwise he might've suffered the indignity of Sporky, Spooky, and so forth.

We will know that there is a Satan active on Earth, if Ross & Company decide to produce a mini series about these kid sidekicks.  :D

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2009, 03:56:10 PM »

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are pretty old!  :D
The sidekicks always seem to have such wimpy sounding names. "Beware the fury of...Bucky!"
"Watch out guys, it's Robin!"
"Robin, who's she?"
"No it's a boy."
"Oh, a British guy?"
"Um..no."

ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »

It's true that the names aren't just bad, but they're...y'know, the kids' actual names.  Sparky?  I think I'll call you...Sparky.  Bucky, eh?  That's a hard one.  How about...Bucky.  Tim?  Roy?  Davey?  I mean, c'mon, what kid puts on a mask and deigns to be called by his real name?  Where's the hero whose sidekick refuses to respond to any name other than Admiral Death-Eater, Esquire, the Third?

By contrast, Robin may sound bad, but at least he's not secretly Robin (no last name known).  Shifting him more towards a Robin Hood gimmick might have been better for his image, too.

By the way, don't be silly, Boox--Ross just free-associates his way through books.  If he includes Sparky, it won't be about the changing names, it'll be about him getting electrical powers.  And probably a weapon, 'cuz why not?

(Back in the spring, I was walking through a park and saw a robin.  I was, briefly, struck by how similar the bird looks to the Red Robin costume that floats thrrough the DCU.  Then I realized that it's a Ross design, and so of COURSE Robin needed to look just like a Robin.  Duh.  I guess we should be thankful it didn't look like a hamburger.)
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2009, 05:49:59 PM »

I think that the 'other' Sparky was the partner of The Red Blazer one of Harvey Comics more forgetable heroes.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »

By the way, don't be silly, Boox--Ross just free-associates his way through books.  If he includes Sparky, it won't be about the changing names, it'll be about him getting electrical powers.  And probably a weapon, 'cuz why not?

(Back in the spring, I was walking through a park and saw a robin.  I was, briefly, struck by how similar the bird looks to the Red Robin costume that floats thrrough the DCU.  Then I realized that it's a Ross design, and so of COURSE Robin needed to look just like a Robin.  Duh.  I guess we should be thankful it didn't look like a hamburger.)

;D ;D ::ROTFLMAO::  ;D ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.