in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Blue Beetle #14 - 18

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Blue Beetle #14 - 18  (Read 20719 times)

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
Re: Blue Beetle #14 - 18
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »

Whenever I start to think that the kid sidekick idea looks a little dangerous, I remind myself that David Farragut captained his first ship (a prize ship, but still) when he was twelve, and saw combat soon after.

There's also the twelve-year old, blond-haired cabin boy in "Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe. Let's just say that during the final battle at the end, he's anything but Bobby Driscoll's Jim Hawkins. Even with one arm, the kid is a little hell raiser. Guns blazing, screaming for the men to follow him, and blasting the crap out of the enemy and all that.

So when people laugh at the kid sidekicks in comic books, saying how implausible it is, I kind of laugh back.

Then again, we're talking about defending a kid's comic book with a movie.   :P
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »

I think that the 'other' Sparky was the partner of The Red Blazer one of Harvey Comics more forgetable heroes.

-Nigel

And they were pretty much just relegated to comic covers and text stories in All New Comics, were they not?
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2009, 07:38:34 PM »

It's true that the names aren't just bad, but they're...y'know, the kids' actual names.  Sparky?  I think I'll call you...Sparky.  Bucky, eh?  That's a hard one.  How about...Bucky.  Tim?  Roy?  Davey?  I mean, c'mon, what kid puts on a mask and deigns to be called by his real name?  Where's the hero whose sidekick refuses to respond to any name other than Admiral Death-Eater, Esquire, the Third?

Well, what have you suggested that they be called? Batman Jr.? Mighty Half Pint? Teen America?

Some of them took more secretive names (Kid Terror, American Eagle and Eaglet, 13 and Jinx), but come on... it's not like the comic companies were looking for any sort of "realism" that modern adult comic book readers, in their quest to somehow have costumed heroes relate to them as adults (which is ridiculous on its face), demand. It's all pretty silly stuff. But for the world that the heroes and kid sidekicks occupy, we should be willing to roll with it.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »

It's true that the names aren't just bad, but they're...y'know, the kids' actual names.  Sparky?  I think I'll call you...Sparky.  Bucky, eh?  That's a hard one.  How about...Bucky.  Tim?  Roy?  Davey?  I mean, c'mon, what kid puts on a mask and deigns to be called by his real name?  Where's the hero whose sidekick refuses to respond to any name other than Admiral Death-Eater, Esquire, the Third?

Well, what have you suggested that they be called? Batman Jr.? Mighty Half Pint? Teen America?

Some of them took more secretive names (Kid Terror, American Eagle and Eaglet, 13 and Jinx), but come on... it's not like the comic companies were looking for any sort of "realism" that modern adult comic book readers, in their quest to somehow have costumed heroes relate to them as adults (which is ridiculous on its face), demand. It's all pretty silly stuff. But for the world that the heroes and kid sidekicks occupy, we should be willing to roll with it.

I wonder if anyone owns Teen America yet?  ???

btw, Jinx is the best name out of all of the kid sidekicks!  Nightmare still has a lot of potential -- may Alex Ross get confused on the way to Nightmare's and Jinx's door.

B.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »

I'm not railing against it, mind you.  I do, however, think that a lot of the flak the writers got (and still do today) regarding kid sidekicks would have been avoided if the kids used codenames...and they might have gotten more kids in the audience, since that's exactly the sort of thing kids love.  It also helps the illusion that one day, you might be the kid in the mask; that's less probable if the kid's secret codename is Davey.

I had, by the way, forgotten Kid Terror's moniker.  In most of the stories, it seems like he's "Tim."  And again, "Robin" is fine, though the costume is...incomprehensible.  Replace the cape with a green cloak, though (because the staff has insisted the name was derived mostly from Robin Hood), and it could have been an even bigger winner, and maybe not so much a target for Wertham.

(Interestingly, Sparky's a great name for a sidekick, because there's nothing particularly thematic about his patron.  The only problem is that it's also his REAL name.  If he'd only been Fred...)
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2009, 09:06:11 PM »

Toro was a name which had a nice dramatic ring to it as did the other name he was also known by 'The Flame Kid' unlike his real name which was Thomas.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2009, 02:20:21 AM »

I'm not railing against it, mind you.  I do, however, think that a lot of the flak the writers got (and still do today) regarding kid sidekicks would have been avoided if the kids used codenames...and they might have gotten more kids in the audience, since that's exactly the sort of thing kids love.  It also helps the illusion that one day, you might be the kid in the mask; that's less probable if the kid's secret codename is Davey.

I had, by the way, forgotten Kid Terror's moniker.  In most of the stories, it seems like he's "Tim."  And again, "Robin" is fine, though the costume is...incomprehensible.  Replace the cape with a green cloak, though (because the staff has insisted the name was derived mostly from Robin Hood), and it could have been an even bigger winner, and maybe not so much a target for Wertham.

(Interestingly, Sparky's a great name for a sidekick, because there's nothing particularly thematic about his patron.  The only problem is that it's also his REAL name.  If he'd only been Fred...)

The Golden Age writers would probably be getting flak regardless. Whether the kids used code names or had a costume which was slightly cooler to modern audiences, hipsters and comic geeks alike would be bitching and moaning. Unless, of course, those sidekicks were teenage girls with huge, oversized breasts literally popping out of their costumes. Then, it would probably be okay with them.  ;)

By the way, I think Black Terror and Tim referred to themselves as "The Terror Twins" more often than not. So you're probably right on that count. I think Tim was referred to as Kid Terror in Exciting #69, though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:45:55 AM by krankyboy »
ip icon Logged

Palooka slim

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »

Regarding sidekicks lets remember back in the day 15 and 16 yr old boys were lying about their age to join the army.perhaps kids were made of tuffer stuff back then ,i tend to think so.but having said that a 17 yr old boy just recently sailed around the world by himself thats pretty durn tough.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2009, 12:11:49 AM »

NOt so much tough as they think themselves invincible. That is the reason for wanting young soldiers.
I was only a couple months past my 17th birthday when I joined the army right after Vietnam
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »

I can recall reading many storied of kids joining the army even though they were to young. Going back to the Civil War although I'm sure it happened before. It's the only real regret I have in my life. Many in my family joined the various branches of armed service.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2009, 01:24:10 AM »

I am very appreciative of the experience. And it paid my way through college allowing me to get my teaching credentials.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2009, 04:06:02 AM »

Regarding sidekicks lets remember back in the day 15 and 16 yr old boys were lying about their age to join the army.perhaps kids were made of tuffer stuff back then ,i tend to think so.but having said that a 17 yr old boy just recently sailed around the world by himself thats pretty durn tough.

Very true! My grandfather did that to get into WWI.  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »

YOur grandfather sailed around the world to get into WWI?  Why didn't he just sail straight to Europe?
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2009, 04:14:23 PM »

That's just what the dirty Krauts would be expecting, Jon...
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »

Ahh good point.
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »

Thanks for scanning and uploading Blue Beetle #16, AU!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:41:26 PM by krankyboy »
ip icon Logged

archiver_USA

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

Does anyone have the covers to a Blue Beetle #17 (inside and out, front and back)? My copy is coverless.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 03:02:51 AM »

JVJ has Blue Beetle Holyoke #17
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »

Any chance of AU scanning the pages for Blue Beetle #17, and JVJ's front and back covers for the issue being added later?

KB
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2009, 06:59:22 PM »

When you are done your scans AU, just upload them to the FTP and I'll try and arrange for the missing pages from Jim.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.