in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Put Your Book Suggestions Here

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Put Your Book Suggestions Here  (Read 5625 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Put Your Book Suggestions Here
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2023, 10:06:08 AM »

How about "a guest" as in Yoc?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2023, 11:17:10 AM »

I'm thinking along similiar lines!

I will wait to see what other responses we get!

Thanks! 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2023, 06:00:54 PM »

How about "a guest" as in Yoc?

That sounds fine to me.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2023, 08:06:00 PM »

Sounds like a great idea, I'm 100%  behind it!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2023, 02:08:35 AM »

In the Current Reading Group slot, Superscrounge posted,
As an aside thinking of possible suggestions I might make in a reading group one possibility was a Saint comparison featuring a normal comic book, maybe something like a Super Detective Library and one of the Vincent Price Saint radio shows that CB+ has (I think I listened to the whole collection they have here around a year ago. Highly recommended.)

Excellent idea! I will post it here. If somebody wants to use it down the track, feel free. If I run out of ideas or time to make another choice, I might use it myself.
Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2023, 08:20:20 AM »

Should probably wait six or more months on my idea as it is similar to the reading selection we just did.

Part of the reason for the reading group was to expose readers to the wide variety of comics produced through the years, so under-represented genres or even oddball books might be an interesting choice.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2023, 12:08:05 AM »

Just browsing back through the suggestions and realized there are some here we haven't picked up on yet.
Here is one.
Scrounge wrote,

My suggestion is a comparison between the Mitzi In Hollywood story from Movie Comics #4 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=60131 and the Stars Fell On Arizona story in Cowgirl Romances #10 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=71176.

Why a comparison? Because they are two different stories, using the exact same artwork. 

That's one comparison. Does anybody know of any similar situations? Happy to go with that but if we can add something to it, we could stretch it out.
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2023, 04:26:48 AM »

Just browsing back through the suggestions and realized there are some here we haven't picked up on yet.
Here is one.
Scrounge wrote,

My suggestion is a comparison between the Mitzi In Hollywood story from Movie Comics #4 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=60131 and the Stars Fell On Arizona story in Cowgirl Romances #10 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=71176.

Why a comparison? Because they are two different stories, using the exact same artwork. 

That's one comparison. Does anybody know of any similar situations? Happy to go with that but if we can add something to it, we could stretch it out.
Cheers!

We already compared my suggestion in Week 231.

Not sure of any other reused artwork, but I'm sure there must be some (well, not counting swipes).

On the other hand maybe a comparison of a story with swiped art and the issue(s) that the art was swiped from?

Have we done anything with comics that were referenced in Seduction Of The Innocent?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2023, 06:39:43 AM »

I was asked to update the list of books we've read (on page 1), so it now lists all the books up to week 299. So if you want to see if a selection has been read before I'll try to keep it updated.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2023, 10:45:49 AM »

thanks, appreciated. 
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2023, 11:40:44 AM »

Any plans for our Christmas read this year? I always look forward to that.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2023, 06:25:46 AM »

Thanks Greg. I haven't completed the roster for December yet. Whoever ends up with the slot before Christmas will make the decisions on what to post.
If you have any preferences, post them here.
cheers!
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2023, 12:49:27 AM »

Thanks Greg. I haven't completed the roster for December yet. Whoever ends up with the slot before Christmas will make the decisions on what to post.
If you have any preferences, post them here.
cheers!

No preferences from me, sir. I'm happy to read whatever you guys choose. I'm just a big fan of Christmas.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2023, 09:23:47 AM »

If there was more time I'd suggest trying to find a Christmas story in a genre you wouldn't normally think of them appearing (although I'd guess almost every genre has, at least, one Christmas story).
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2024, 12:49:08 AM »

Open Invitation!
The Reading Group was started by MarkWarner. CrashRyan, MovieLover and  Kracalactaka [whom I wish was still with us] all had extended periods with it. Since I have helmed the thread it has evolved into a team effort, with 4 members, including myself. As of the end of 2023 we lost Kingcat, so I have decided [with no objections from my colleagues, as far as I know] to keep the 4th slot open as a guest slot.
So, if you are interested in doing a Reading Group post, please get in touch with me by Private Message [PM]
If you are not aware, look at the yellow search bar just above and to the right of your Avatar image and click on 'My Messages' and from there you can send a message to a member that does not appear on the open forum.
You may also hear, by PM, from one of the other members of the Reading Group team asking you if you would like to do a slot . Again, all replies by PM please.
Also, the next guest slot is 18/03, the 18th of March. So there is plenty of time.
Danke,
The Australian Panther.     
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2024, 09:02:44 AM »

On a completely pointless and trivial note, as I was updating this week's reading choices I noticed that we have never had a book suggestion starting with the letters Q, X or Z.

I'm not sure if there are any books here starting with those letters, but if somebody is looking for books to suggest, there's a search for you.  ;)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2024, 11:06:01 AM »

On a completely pointless and trivial note, as I was updating this week's reading choices I noticed that we have never had a book suggestion starting with the letters Q, X or Z.

I'm not sure if there are any books here starting with those letters, but if somebody is looking for books to suggest, there's a search for you.  ;)

Didn't we just review one of Fawcett's giant ("X-Mas Comics) very recently?  And didn't we review a Zip Comics when covering some MLJ books?

We could review a few of Charlton's "Zoo Comics", or Fox's "Zoot Comics".  We can't review "Ziggy Pig and Silly Seal" because Timely Comics are off limits due to copyrights.  No "Zap Comics" here. 
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2024, 08:46:19 PM »

I was recently skimming through the results for a quick "George Roussos" search here on the site, and I found many good issues. Both superhero and not. It would be cool to have a Reading Group focused on him. His work on Air Wave for DC is really amazing.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2024, 10:04:43 PM »

Didn't we just review one of Fawcett's giant ("X-Mas Comics) very recently?

We talked about it because of an ad in a Fawcett book a few weeks back, but we didn't actually read Xmas Comics itself.

And didn't we review a Zip Comics when covering some MLJ books?

Surprisingly no. Unless I overlooked a choice, somehow no one has picked an issue of that Archie book.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2024, 11:48:11 PM »

I thought it'd be hard to find Y books but, thanks especially to Young and Your, there are in fact quite a few. So which is the most rare? Z?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2024, 02:05:28 AM »

Doing a quick look after I posted last night, I found several Zs, 1 X and no Qs.

The closest to a Q title I saw was Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, but that's obviously an S title.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2024, 04:27:49 AM »

You're right, Scrounge, Q is almost nonexistent. The closest I found was Dell's Quest of Zorro. It was part of the Four Color series (#617) but the indicia calls it "Quest of Zorro no. 617," so I'd say it qualifies. A near miss is the Avon one-shot Quantrell's Raiders, based on a movie, but though "Quantrell's Raiders" is big in the cover logo the full title is "Red Mountain featuring Quantrell's Raiders" and the indicia says "Red Mountain--Quantrell's Raiders."
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2024, 02:58:21 AM »

You're right, Scrounge, Q is almost nonexistent. The closest I found was Dell's Quest of Zorro. It was part of the Four Color series (#617) but the indicia calls it "Quest of Zorro no. 617," so I'd say it qualifies.

I wondered if Four Color or one of the other group titles (Large Series, Super Detective, etc.) had some.

While most Four Colors don't have Four Color in the indicia they all get grouped under the Four Color comics section, so I list them under F, although I have been adding the indicia name after the Four Color so a search of the list will bring them up.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2024, 08:04:26 PM »

I hesitated to post this as we can't host it but Q Bikes/ Q Carts was a longish running strip in a British weekly. Rather good, actually.
TPL 48, I think, is the Quentin Durward issue.  I'm not at my pc right now but someone could have a look.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.