in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715880 times)

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2010, 03:59:15 PM »

The wife and I are nearly through season one of Richard's Greene's The Adventures of Robin Hood and about a third of the way through The Adventures of Lancelot (with The Buccaneers waiting in the wings).

Good stuff!

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:34:39 PM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »

The wife and I are nearly through season one of Richard's Greene's The Adventures of Robin Hood and about a third of the way through The Adventures of Lancelot (with The Buccaneers waiting in the wings).

Good stuff!

Best

Joe

Richard Greene's Robin Hood is among my favorites. I recently saw the feature length film of it (I had no idea it even existed until it popped up in the local library). I have the first season on dvd, and hoping to add the other shortly.

B.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »

Titles plus short clip of S.o.F. here:-
http://www.ovguide.com/tv/sword_of_freedom.htm
I didn't realise that you had these shows in N.A.  Apart from S.o.F., I was a big fan of The Buccaneers and Ivanhoe.  Also Sir Lancelot, with William Russell of Dr. Who fame as the star.
There was a series of pocket comics based on t.v. shows.  Here's a cover.  I have this issue and a few more in my own collection:-
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/children/other/sword_freedom_comic.jpg
The Whirligig site has a lot of stuff on British t.v.shows. (the quality of the clips is poor) Have a look for No Hiding Place.  One of my all time faves.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2010, 11:26:35 PM »

Paw, we had a lot of Brit series over here when I was growing up. Loved "Ivanhoe", "Lancelot", and "Robin Hood". I actually picked up some "Robin Hood" and "Lancelot" DVDs at the Dollar Store! Also remember "Sword of Freedom" although I'm not sure if it had the same title over here- great opening shot with the dagger flying over Purdom's shoulder and hitting the painting.  Another of my favorites was "The 77th Bengal Lancers." Lotsa great stuff from across the pond. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2010, 03:01:52 AM »

Familiar with all of them except Sword of Freedom
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »

I watched the season premiere of "The Mentalist" last night. Pretty good, but a little bit of a letdown after last season's finale. I had to rewatch the finale last week and I Googled William Blake's "Tyger, Tyger burning bright..." to see if I could decipher Red John's clue. Somehow, I ended up on a site discussing this very thing. Lots of little clues and "coincidences" I hadn't noticed before. I love a show that makes me think! I also tried to watch the highly promoted new sci-fi (?) show, "The Event". Flashbacks and rewinds can be very effective story-telling devices if used properly and sparingly. Unfortunately, the writers and director went way overboard. Instead of creating suspense, it seemed to be just a jerky progression of scenes which told very little story and became more annoying than anything else. In a one hour format, I would rather see one good story than bits and pieces of three! That's why I quit watching "Heroes". Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »

I have only watched a few of the new shows. Did not like Running Wilde although K. Russell is a beauty.
S@$t my Dad says was pretty good and of course Big Bang rocks. I missed the first two episodes of Nikita but am watching the third may be pretty good. I have not watched The EVent yet looks like I may wait until a couple episodes to make some sense out of it if it is worth watching. I have not watched CHASE yet anyone else watched it.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »

Watched Blue Bloods with my wife since she is a big Tom Selleck fan. The characters are watchable and I realize coincidence is neccessary but this went WAAAAAAY to far. This show is in bad need of some plot editing to not so absurdly rely on coincidence and cirmumstances going their way.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2010, 01:52:06 AM »

I'm transfixed by Swamp People, Ice Road Truckers, Sanford & Son, Ghost Adventures; pretty much I can be found watching shows on Bio, History/HCI, Travel Channel, Discovery, TvLand, Gospel Music Channel (no lie, Amen is a great show).
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2010, 02:15:08 AM »

I like those kinda shows to boox but only for awhile. They repeat the same scenes so often and use the same scenarios that most hour long shows should be no more than a half hour maybe less. If they were only a half hour I might like them more. But they go where the money is and reusing scenes is cheap
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2010, 03:37:19 PM »

Here's rundown on some of what I've been watching lately. 

New fall TV Season:

Much of what I watch of prime time shows is usually stuff my wife watches and records while I'm at work and which I then watch early the next morning when I get in from work.  She likes a lot of crime and sci-fi shows which is generally okay with me.

Returning shows:

CSI: NY got off to a rocky start with a way too quick wrap up to last season's cliffhanger probably necessitated  by having to spend time explaining the departure of one main character and introducing another.  Bounced back rather well with the second episode.

Criminal Minds also had a rather weak opening episode that wrapped up the cliffhanger from last season.  Disappointing.  The second episode was much better as it was specifically centered around the departure of one of the long time main characters but the writer's had plenty of time to put this episode together and did a good job of it.

Bones got things back together after last season's ending, that sent most of the main characters in different career directions, and had a pretty good opening episode.  The introduction of a new character that will create a different dynamic between the two leads started in the opening episode and accelerated in the second episode.  This is currently one of my favorite shows.

Fringe  seems to me to be moving in a darker direction.  My wife's not to crazy about what she's seeing so far.  I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

Human Target- well, I'm just gonna have to continue waiting on this one because Fox pushed its season premiere back, with almost no warning, to mid November.

New shows:

Hawaii Five-O was not a show I watched much in its original incarnation but so far I'm liking the character interplay in this revival.

The Defenders also has an enjoyable interplay between the characters.  I'm especially enjoying James Belushi's character.  This one is also a loose remake of another old show but I remember next to nothing about the original.

The Event is one I'm still taking a "wait and see how it develops" attitude.  I was more pleased after two episodes than after just seeing the pilot so that's a bit promising anyway.

At the theaters this past month:

I haven't got out much to see new films lately but here's what I did see.

Going the Distance was a pretty good romantic comedy with some nice chemistry between the leads and a good supporting cast.  The ending was a bit too convenient but getting there was enjoyable enough.

Blood Bath of the Bat Beast is a film that was made by a buddy of mine (Larry LoPresti) who has been getting me to help him on these projects of his since we were teenagers in high school together and were shooting on 8mm.  The film had its local premiere here in Phoenix last night.  On this film I helped Larry by doing a variety of tasks such as running second camera, story boarding a sequence, helping with set FX, playing a small part, and basically doing whatever needed to be done if I was available to help when ever they were shooting.  I won't comment on the film itself.  You can Google the title and view a few clips and read some about it There may even be a review or two up by now (I know that there's at least one online review of a rough cut we screened last year).

Some recent Movie Night goodies.

Well we finished up the Captain Video serial (which went on a few chapters too long, IMHO) and moved on to Battling With Buffalo Bill which is a 1931 western cliffhanger starring Tom Tyler (Captain Marvel, The Phantom) and which looks to be action filled.

General Electric Television Theater-"The Incredible Jewell Robbery"-1959- this television show is famous for being the last appearance of the 3 Marx Bros together on film ( a later TV pilot was filmed but never broadcast).  Starring mainly Harpo and Chico, with Grouch just doing a cameo, the film is basically done almost entirely in pantomime and generally works.  Not a comedy classic but it was nice to finally see the complete episode of the boy's film farewell.

Gussle Rivals Jonah-1915-Keystone-2rls starred Charlie Chaplin's less famous (but still very talented) brother Syd in this typical knock-a-bout Keystone comedy from the period.  Got its share of laughs from the bunch of us that night.

Blood and Steel-1925- was a railroad adventure movie starring Helen Holmes.  Holmes was a very popular serial star in the teens and railroad centered films were a popular genre well into the 1930s.  This rather low budget affair was made toward the end of Holmes' career and had too little action and not enough railroad stuff to be a crowd pleaser.

When Ambrose Dared Walrus-1915-Keystone-2 rls- was another slapstick Keystone entry starring Mack Swain and Chester Conklin as the title characters.  Again no classic but it generated some laughs.

Nurse Wanted-1906-Biograph- was a very short comedy that seemed to have been filmed back east-possibly New Jersey.  I always find it fascinating to watch some of these really old films especially when they show a lot of location shooting-often of places and times long gone.  We noted the passing in the background of a small steamboat down a river during one sequence. There's something you don't see much now-a-days.

The Balloon Goes Up-1943 was another interesting slice of history this one being a bit of the WWII variety.  The film is a musical-comedy starring the popular music hall and radio duo of Ethel Revnell and Gracie West who play a sort of Cockney Mutt and Jeff team (Ethel, at over six feet tall, is the Mutt to Gracie's much shorter Jeff).  The two only made a few low budget (but quite successful) films together so it was nice to finally get to see one.  The balloon's referred to here are barrage balloons.  You can Google that to find out how important they were to the Brits in WWII.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2010, 07:54:02 PM »

I totally envy your movie nights. I had a hard time watching the entire Phantom serial by myself. Watching with a group has to be the way to go.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »

The Phantom serial, as with most chapter plays, really has to be watched no more than 2 or 3 episodes at a time.  As Scotland's biggest (self proclaimed but not in the fatty sense) Phantom Phan, even I had to watch this in small chunks.  Apart from that, it's great.  But I'm biased.
Watched The Monolith Monsters when my wife was out.  Great, corny entertainment.
On t.v., New Tricks continues its high standards.  Also we've been watching the odd re-run of Midsomer Murders with John Nettles.  Starting to enjoy Castle which seems much more entertaining than when I tried it in it's 1st. series.
Only seen a trailer for The Event and might give it a try.
Lunch is ready. Got to go.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »

Tonight is "Wallender" with Kenneth Brannagh on Masterpiece Mystery, followed by New Tricks on PBS. Anyone know if this is still in production? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2010, 08:09:51 AM »

New Tricks.  The new series is now on on BBC.  What can I say except that the standard is easily as high as previous series.  Altogether, seriously good television.  Wallender I never really got in to but I don't know if you're aware that BBC? were showing the original Swedish series here with subtitles. Might be worth your while looking for it.  It got good reviews.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2010, 03:05:20 PM »

I totally envy your movie nights. I had a hard time watching the entire Phantom serial by myself. Watching with a group has to be the way to go.

Serials are great to watch with an appreciative crowd.  Just like the kids who used to view them in the theaters years ago we moan about the "cheater" chapters and razz them when they have a lame resolution to a cliffhanger (hero walks out of plane that has just plunged to earth and merely dusts himself off as if he only tripped over his own feet!) or an outright fake resolution (hero who was clearing seen being shot and falling off roof in previous chapter cliffhanger is then is shown dodging bullet just before it hits him in next chapter). 
Of course we also make note of such things the kids probably didn't catch back then (such as cost-cutting tricks like the use of stock footage from earlier films or serials).

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2010, 01:17:48 AM »

Has anyone ever heard of The Blue Lady OTR? I have two episodes from 51. First episode had a funny ending. Lady PI in a blue dress and mask.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »

Has anyone ever heard of The Blue Lady OTR? I have two episodes from 51. First episode had a funny ending. Lady PI in a blue dress and mask.

That's probably The Lady in Blue which was a 15 minute Saturday morning series aimed at kids that ran in 1951 on NBC.  I heard that there were a couple of episodes circulating but have never listened to them.
I've heard that the main character seems similar to Lady Luck (from Eisner's Spirit section) and that she has a Cockney maid.  Sound like your episodes?

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »

That is it. I have two episodes of anyone wants them
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »

Anyone else watching the NO ORDINARY FAMILY. Not great but pretty good and has been a fun watch. Just watched an 1977 William Shatner movie KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS. I can not believe it was listed as two stars. It was so bad it was fun to watch. Chuck remains fun with my son and I laughing often. I like the new comedies Mike and Molly and Sh$%T My Dad Says.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »

Anyone else watching the NO ORDINARY FAMILY. Not great but pretty good and has been a fun watch. Just watched an 1977 William Shatner movie KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS. I can not believe it was listed as two stars. It was so bad it was fun to watch. Chuck remains fun with my son and I laughing often. I like the new comedies Mike and Molly and Sh$%T My Dad Says.

I'd like to check out No Ordinary Family but it runs opposite something else (I forget exactly which show right now) that the wife and I catch so I guess I'll have to wait until rerun season (or a DVD collection) to watch it. 
I remember watching Kingdom of the Spiders at some drive-in back when it came out.  You're right it's one of those flicks that is so bad, it's good!
I'm not currently watching any sitcoms.  The wife isn't big on them so I usually catch up on them later via DVD collections.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Maxwellsmart

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Maxwellsmart
message icon
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »

Yeah No Ordinary is on OnDemand. I am planning on catching up on it soon.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2010, 11:52:11 AM »

We had another Movie Night get-together last night and here are some of the films we watched.

Battling With Buffalo Bill-Chapter 2-"Circling Death"-1931-Universal-This episode of the chapter-play managed to use a fair amount of footage from some of Universal's silent westerns to make this serial seem "bigger" than it actually was.

A Lover's Lost Control-1915-Keystone-2 rls-Syd Chaplin leads the list of Keystone players in this slapstick ensemble-the best part being the chase sequence at the end.

Half-way to Hollywood-1938-Columbia-2 rls-Tom Kennedy and Johnny Arthur have the leads in this comedy short directed by comedy star Charley Chase.  Columbia shorts of this period all look slick and well done and are generally pretty funny as many of the comedy practitioners of the 1920s and 30s ended up there around this time as most of the other film producers either dropped or severely curtailed their production of short subjects in the second half of the 1930s.

The Thrill Hunter-1933-Columbia-60 minutes-A feature starring B-Western star Buck Jones in a non-Western role.  Jones, who was a pretty decent actor, plays a blowhard who manages to get a job as a Hollywood action star who does his own stunts. Since he really doesn't know had to drive a race car or fly a plane this creates some funny experiences.  There's also the usual boys gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl plot along the way.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »

Started watching Northern Exposure again. Only have the first 3 seasons though. Also still enjoying The Adventures of Pete & Pete. There are only a few current shows I watch - House, CSI, Law & Order SVU, NCIS. I abhor most reality shows but enjoy Kitchen Nightmares and Hell's Kitchen. I mostly watch DVD's while playing a computer game or reading one of my thousands of digital comics.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »

Pete and Pete is a classic.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.