in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715871 times)

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2010, 11:47:57 PM »

Yes. Too bad my wife doesn't appreciate it. I think part of the reason I like it is that it was filmed here in NJ. I can recognize some of the places.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2010, 01:49:52 AM »

Oh yeah my wife does not appreciate that type of humor at all either. Must be a guy thing
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2010, 10:18:44 AM »

She loves all those crime dramas. I do to but can't take too much at any one sitting as they depress me. I need to balance it with something fun. I find it funny how she'll watch the dramas, and gets upset over some of them especially ones involving kids. Sometimes she'll cry because she starts thinking about our daughter. So I'll say to her "Well don't watch it then!" "But I like this show!" she replies.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »

We are all well aware that women make no sense to men and vice versa
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »

Started watching Northern Exposure again. Only have the first 3 seasons though. Also still enjoying The Adventures of Pete & Pete. There are only a few current shows I watch - House, CSI, Law & Order SVU, NCIS. I abhor most reality shows but enjoy Kitchen Nightmares and Hell's Kitchen. I mostly watch DVD's while playing a computer game or reading one of my thousands of digital comics.

I'm with you regarding reality shows.  I can't think of a single one that I've ever been able to get into.  I've had other people recommend Northern Exposure to me before but have not yet got around to checking it out.  I had never heard of The Adventures of Pete and Pete until you mentioned it but after Googling it I see that it's a mid 1990s cartoon series.  I'll keep and eye open for it on Nickelodeon or Boomerang.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »

Pete and Pete was not a cartoon series it was live action.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2010, 06:16:30 PM »

I remember that one...but somehow, my memory has it as a cartoon series!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2010, 06:23:47 PM »

Narf, thanks for the correction.  I guess I just assumed it was a cartoon when I read it was a Nickelodeon series (not a channel I watch much) as I thought they only produced animated series (probably another wrong assumption on my part).
I paid better attention when I looked it up this time and see that there were three seasons broadcast in just over two years (1993-95) with a total of 34 episodes originally aired (and several special episodes beyond that). 
Seasons one and two seem to be available on DVD too. 
And I see that one of my favorite character actors-Steve Buscemi-guest-starred on a couple of episodes so that gives me an even bigger inducement to check it out.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2010, 09:01:28 PM »

Nick had some great scifi series. Adventures of Alex Mack and Alan Strange. I enjoyed watching both of those with my son.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2010, 01:32:26 AM »

Avengers is running now on DisneyXD. Looks good but the short episodes previews are a pain on DVR. The regular series should be good. Antman may be my favorite.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2010, 01:48:37 AM »

I just finished Heroes: Season4, and just started Robotech (anime series)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2010, 04:17:18 AM »

I enjoyed Robotech, one of the first anime series I got into. Evangelion was another old anime that was good until the final episode ruined the whole thing.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »

Loved Robotech. I also briefly played the pen and paper game which wasn't too bad. I like Thundercats and Silverhawks which weren't exactly of the anime genre but similar.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »

Just watched a movie called The Centurion and enjoyed it. UK movie so it may not appear on US TV. Set during the Roman invasion of Britain. Lots of blood but a pretty good story.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »

I'm up to about episode 30 of Robotech so it is nearing the end of the Macross Saga (the whole series is multigenerational).
We (MrsCharlie and me) also finished watching Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman ssn. 2. Thisi si a good series (IMO) to get your wife to watch with you since it has a superhero (yes!) but also a lot of the storyline focuses on the relationship between the title characters.
I started watching Fullmetal Alchemy, which is an anime about these two child prodigys in a world where alchemy is a respected science. Anyway, they tried to bring their mom back to life but since this is such a reality rending task they ended up one stuck in a suit of armor for a body and the other missing an arm and a leg.
And one for the weird as heck category. An old Japanese variety show called Vermillion Pleasure Night.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »

Some recent Movie Night viewings.

Battling With Buffalo Bill-Chapter 3-"Between Two Tribes"-it was noted this week that with his mustache and goatee Tom Tyler (playing Buffalo Bill) looks a good deal like Johnny Depp.

Home Canning-1948-RKO-2 rls-starring the master of the "slow burn" Edgar Kennedy.  This was one of Kennedy's last comedy shorts in a long successful career.  It's quite funny but we were all distracted by how emaciated Kennedy looks, most likely already suffering from the throat cancer that would kill him a few months later.

Versus Sledge Hammers-1915-Essanay-2 rls-Cross-eyed Ben Turpin is the most notable comedian in this typical slapstick entry from the popular Snakeville Comedies.

A Dog's Life-1918-First National-2 rls-I've been recently reading Glen David Gold's novel Sunnyside, in which Charlie Chaplin is one of the main characters and which the making of this film was discussed so I specifically requested a viewing of this film which I hadn't seen in over a decade.

Step Forward-1922-Sennett-First National-2 rls-Ben Turpin heads the cast of this Mack Sennett comedy concerning comic shenanigans on a trolley that Ben is the driver of.

60 Minutes-"Market Street"-2010-this was a segment from a very recent episode of the CBS show where one of my film research buddies was interviewed and in which he was able to identify the approximate date of the filming of a noted film shot on San Francisco's well known Market Street prior to the famous 1906 earthquake.  A great example of film sleuthing.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »

I saw that segment of 60 minutes, interesting. I usually do not watch the show but was checking to see if any sports delays for Undercover Boss
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes has a good SA feel to it. Don't like Iron Man's voice. Hate Wasps uniform. My favorite character is Ant Man I hope they use him more.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2010, 11:22:43 AM »

Sorry to be a bit slow.  Holidays and ongoing family stuff eat up so much time.  But we have seen some t.v. and a couple of films.  New Tricks keeps up it's high standards and just when you think it can't get better, it does.
The Mentalist is still enjoyable.
We watched a couple of films late on last night.  First was Meet Simon Cherry from 1949 with Hugh Moxey as The Rev.  A sort of Father Brown  figure.
Then the first P.C.49 film based on the radio show and the strip in Eagle. Wonderful british b & w nostalgia.
BBC showed The Quatermass Experiment (called something else in the States) a few nights ago.  Although we have it on disc, still watched the opening 15 minutes.  Great stuff.
For anyone who enjoys nostalgia stuff, there are new releases of Famous Five serials out now.  These were made in the mid 50's by the Childrens Film Foundation and I remember seeing one of them at the Odeon Club matinee when just a lad.
Also out are 3 of the Paul Temple films from the 50's.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes has a good SA feel to it. Don't like Iron Man's voice. Hate Wasps uniform. My favorite character is Ant Man I hope they use him more.

Narf, what channel and day is this running on?

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »

Sorry to be a bit slow.  Holidays and ongoing family stuff eat up so much time.  But we have seen some t.v. and a couple of films.  New Tricks keeps up it's high standards and just when you think it can't get better, it does.
The Mentalist is still enjoyable.
We watched a couple of films late on last night.  First was Meet Simon Cherry from 1949 with Hugh Moxey as The Rev.  A sort of Father Brown  figure.
Then the first P.C.49 film based on the radio show and the strip in Eagle. Wonderful british b & w nostalgia.
BBC showed The Quatermass Experiment (called something else in the States) a few nights ago.  Although we have it on disc, still watched the opening 15 minutes.  Great stuff.
For anyone who enjoys nostalgia stuff, there are new releases of Famous Five serials out now.  These were made in the mid 50's by the Childrens Film Foundation and I remember seeing one of them at the Odeon Club matinee when just a lad.
Also out are 3 of the Paul Temple films from the 50's.

We watched one of the Paul Temple films-Bombay Waterfront (1952)- at one of our Movie Nights last year.  It's the only one I've ever seen.  We also watched some of the 1950's Quatermass episodes on our Movie Nights a while back,  As I remember some of the episodes were missing from the collection and considered lost.
Those 1950s British serials sound interesting.  In the U.S. the last theatrical serials were released in the mid-1950s.  Disney continued the tradition on the Mickey Mouse Club television show for a few years after that with some serials like The Hardy Boys and Spin and Marty.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2010, 02:16:14 PM »

This past week I watched an interesting episode of Lawman entitled "Yawkey" (1960).  It was written by Richard Matheson (The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, I Am Legend, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Duel, The Legend of Hell House, etc, etc...).

Spoiler Alert!

It was basically an early example of what they refer to now-a-days as "suicide by cop" where a noted gunslinger leaves the lawman with no choice except to fight him in a duel. 
Everyone expects the gunslinger to win and he does indeed beat the lawman to the draw but apparently because he has tired of his life he failed to load his gun and is killed.
I couldn't figure where they were going with the plot until just before it happened as I just don't ever remember seeing this sort of storyline in shows from this period before.

Best

Joe 

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2010, 02:45:15 PM »

I've been buying issues of Lawman from a pal and have thoroughly enjoyed them.  Dan Troop is great in the comics.  Thing is, I don't think I've ever seen the t.v.show.
Quatermass Experiment.  There are only 2 episodes of the serial still existing (plus, I think, a few very short snippets of other episodes.)  Although, rumour here has it that there is a pirate of almost the whole serial taken from BBC tapes around the time of the omnibus showing.  Condition is said to be terrible.
The BBC showing I mentioned was the later Brian Donleavy film from Hammer.  There is a box set of all 3 Quatermass t.v.serials currently available here, with the 2 existing eps. of Experiment plus the script and also Q11 and Q & the Pit.
Bombay Waterfront is one of the 3 Paul Temple serials now available and I'm about to order them.
The Famous 5 serials are on Amazon and Play and I'm sure all other reputable dvd sites will have them.  You may need a multi region player.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2010, 03:19:06 PM »

The Encore Westerns Channel started showing Lawman here in the states on weekday mornings earlier this year and I've been usually catching anywhere from one to three episodes per week.  It's my first viewing of these shows since one of our local channels reran them back in the 1970s.  It holds up even better than I remember and there are the interesting guest stars and writers who pop-up on the series.   
Who does the art on the Lawman comic?  Dan Spiegle maybe?  I know that he did all of the issues of Maverick that I have.

The Quatermass shows we watched were those various television serials you mentioned.  I have also seen the Brian Donlevy Hammer film which was released here in the U.S. as Enemy From Space.

Speaking of Hammer I found out that they are back in the film-making business yesterday when I went to see Let Me In at my local cinema.  It's a remake they've made of a Swedish film and is a well done horror film.  Young Chloe Grace Moretz (from the Kick-Ass film) is quite good as a pre-teen vampire.

My buddy who runs our Movie Nights has an multi-region player which is one reason we do see a number of the British shows we run (including those Quatermass episodes).   Maybe we can snag those Famous 5 serials for a future Movie Night.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »

Lawman - yes, Dan Spiegle did the one I'm looking at now. Looks good - nice blacks. But Toth did one of the issues -#3 or 4 perhaps. Don't have it.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.