in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 716046 times)

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: THE BIBLE: In The Beginning
« Reply #1225 on: July 08, 2012, 07:58:04 AM »

Last night and this morning, I watched THE BIBLE: IN THE BEGINNING again.  All 3 hours. And you know what? It really is better to split it up over 2 days. It's just too damn long-- and "sombre"-- for one sitting. Especially the story of Abraham (George C. Scott). I finally clocked it today-- the Abraham story is 80 minutes, all on its own. The funny thing is, the movie "ABRAHAM" (with Richard Harris), is 3 hours long-- and seems to go by much faster than those 80 minutes with Scott.

I found a two tape boxed set of this film in a bin of old VHS tapes given to me by a relative. I haven't rewatched the film yet but did run both tapes through to be sure they weren't degraded in storage. The tapes played fine, though they'd been packed away for several decades.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1226 on: July 08, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »

Yeah I have some old tapes from over twenty years ago that still work while some DVD's newer that died.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1227 on: July 13, 2012, 02:36:42 AM »

The last few more days...
THE RAVEN
THE HAUNTED PALACE
THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH
THE TOMB OF LIGEIA
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1228 on: July 13, 2012, 03:35:33 AM »

My summer addiction started toning BIG BROTHER
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1229 on: July 14, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »

Just a heads up to those in the U.S. that the new season of Leverage starts tomorrow on TNT.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1230 on: July 14, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »

Comic Store Heroes staring Midtown Comics in NY, NY
I liked it better than Comic Book Men
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:25:11 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1231 on: July 15, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »

We've found a station showing recent episodes of Leverage.  Plus, re-runs of Lewis which weren't shown on STV because of the dispute.   
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1232 on: July 17, 2012, 02:07:07 PM »

HEC RAMSEY:  THE MYSTERY OF THE CHALK HILL
Devastation     ********

*****SPOILERS!!!!!*****

Back when I compiled my own index of the NBC MYSTERY MOVIES, I was missing a few issues of TV GUIDE, including the one with the date of this film. As a result, I always figured this must have been the 2nd "HEC RAMSEY" film made, because it was the only one, aside from the pilot, "THE CENTURY TURNS", to feature Sharon Acker & Brian Dewey as Hec's girlfriend Nora Muldoon and her young son Andy. So I was surprised to check it out online and discover it was run last that season. But knowing network programmers and their habits, perhaps this was made 2nd, but "held back" for a reason?

Hec finally gets tired of inexperienced Sheriff Oliver Stamp's demands and harassment concerning his methods of apprehending felons, and decides to quit his job, take one with his old friend Charlie Hollister in another town, and asks Nora to marry him. She accepts, he leaves and begins preparation for the wedding. But en route, her stage coach is held up-- and, shockingly, both she and her son are murdered. This entire film takes place in broad daylight, but it's one of the darkest films ever shown as part of the MYSTERY MOVIE cycle.

Rather than cover the rest of the plot, I'd prefer to mention the astonishing cast in this film, some of whom do the best acting jobs I've ever seen from them. This includes Pat Hingle, who my Dad loved watching so much in "HANG 'EM HIGH", who gives one of the most intense, and emotional portrayals of his career as a man slowly having to face the truth about certain events and people. Also in the cast is Bruce Davison, who may always be remembered best as the star of "WILLARD", as an aspiring artist who seems to have a problem with telling the truth. Smaller roles are filled by Jeanette Nolan as Hingle's wife (I always remember her as Dan Fielding's mother on NIGHT COURT), Bernie Hamilton as the too-"obvious" suspect (he was the police captain on "STARSKY AND HUTCH"), Henry Jones (who I first saw on the idiotic "LOST IN SPACE" episode "The Curse of Cousin Smith") as the town doctor, Leo Gordon ("THE HAUNTED PALACE") as a trigger-happy saloon owner, John Anderson as the artist who taught Davison how to paint, but not how to feel, and Robert Fuller ("EMERGENCY") as "Dixie", the gunfighter-brother that Davison's character looks up to so much.

I remember with some amusement that Harry Morgan, who played the barber-doctor-best friend Amos Coogan, was, for a time, a regular on both "HEC RAMSEY" and "M*A*S*H". I always preferred him on "HEC RAMSEY" (and on "DRAGNET").

It's a shame this show only lasted 2 seasons. I wonder why NBC had such a bad run of luck trying to find successful additions to "COLUMBO", "McCLOUD" and "McMILAN & WIFE"?
    (7-17-2012)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1233 on: July 17, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »

I suspect it was because it was a western. Westerns were out of favor during that era. I know I did not watch it for that reason.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1234 on: July 17, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »

I suspect it was because it was a western. Westerns were out of favor during that era. I know I did not watch it for that reason.

They didn't mention the details, but 2 different sites mentioned that Richard Boone had "unresolvable problems" with Universal, and HE was responsible for the show ending. Sheesh.

That reminds me, at the same time, almost the same thing happened with George Peppard & BANACEK (both shows ran the same 2 years; BANACEK was the only one of the "Wednesday"/"Tuesday" movie series to run more than 1 year.)

I'd forgotten that HEC RAMSEY was one of Jack Webb's productions.

I'm also watching B.L. STRYKER (just finished the 7th of 12 movies). I was very annoyed when that show ended after only 2 seasons, as someone at ABC decided to cancel the entire MYSTERY MOVIE cycle. Then, they changed their mind. So COLUMBO continued... and continued... but Burt Reynolds and Ossie Davis were already doing EVENING SHADE. Some network execs, you just wanna slap silly.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1235 on: July 17, 2012, 09:29:37 PM »

Finally getting to catch up on some viewing favorites. "Leverage" and "Lewis" are shown at the same time in  our market, so I have to use our cable company's "On Demand" feature to see them both. Not a bad thing, as one can fast-forward through all the commercials. The two new "Lewis" episodes have been quite good, as was the "Endeavor" Inspector Morse prequel. "Leverage" was back with a bang! Looks like a good new season. Also caught up on "Falling Skies". Not a must-watch for me, but I'm liking the new direction the story line is taking. Hey, does anyone know if there will be a new series of "Doc Martin"? That show just keeps getting better. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1236 on: July 18, 2012, 01:12:01 AM »

As much as my wife and I love Doc Martin I would hate to see them continue after that ending. It was such a good way to bring it to a close that anything else would be jumping the shark.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1237 on: July 22, 2012, 01:15:39 AM »

Over the last week...

SPIRITS OF THE DEAD
WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP
THE OBLONG BOX
CRY OF THE BANSHEE
MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE
THE SPECTRE OF EDGAR ALLAN POE
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1238 on: July 22, 2012, 02:04:43 AM »

I Just watched Mercury Man on Netflix. Not bad from a superhero standpoint. Not thrilled with anti-American sentiment though
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1239 on: July 22, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

Bowers, Levrage has been good - highly entertaining  and we're watching re-runs of Lewis, as I said above.  But there's not a lot else on right now that takes our fancy, apart fom Big Bang and some repeats.  What we do have is the third series of 2012, which is a satire on the Olympic "deliverence" team.  Very funny and the writers pick out the absurdities of corprate speak and useless commitees. Very sharp.
Doc Martin, narfstar and Bowers.  They can't bring it back.  At least, I hope not.
We bought the 1st. series of Hustle, it was going cheap, and watched the 1st. episode last night and it still stood up.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1240 on: July 22, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »

Doc Martin had the perfect ending, anything else would be anti-climactic. Something completely different for those with Netflix is the anime Sgt Frog. Very funny stuff with a lot of references to things you all will recognize.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Falling Skies
« Reply #1241 on: July 23, 2012, 03:17:58 AM »

Falling Skies continues to keep me on the edge of my seat. One of me and my wife's favorites
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1242 on: July 23, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »

New seasons of Alphas and Warehouse 13 start tonight on Syfy for those interested here in the U.S.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1243 on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:09 PM »

You guys are probably right about Doc Martin- might as well go out as a winner. Paw, I have seen an episode of "2012", and it is quite funny. Narf, interesting comment on "Mercury Men". I hadn't really noticed it, but I'll watch them again soon. I believe I can claim the honor(?) of finding the worst piece of  garbage "reality" show ever to be shown on TV. It's called "Honey Boo Boo" , and is about a smart-ass young girl with an attitude and a nasty mouth. Also a family whose main topic of conversation is about scratching their butts and this was only the trailer. How could The Learning Channel have sunk so low? Oh, the humanity! Can anyone top this? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1244 on: July 23, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »

Oh, I don't fancy that but I dislike most reality shows.  We seem to be following N. America and some of our shows are sinking to new depths. But I don't think I can beat that one.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1245 on: July 23, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »

I am a Big Brother addict but that reality show sounds really bad. Mercury Man not Mercury Men is a Tiawanese movie on Netflix
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1246 on: July 24, 2012, 01:36:55 AM »

Oops! Sorry, Narf- I should have read more closely. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1247 on: July 25, 2012, 02:25:27 AM »

I've been so busy between the new job and uploading files that I haven't dropped a listing of my feature films watched in quite a while.  So here's a very quick rundown, with zero commentary, of nearly three month's worth.  As usual a very eclectic mix.

The Lost Continent-1951, The Foreigner-2003, Whatever Works-2009, Gamera Vs. Gaos-1967, The Invisible Killer-1941, Vendetta For the Saint-1969, Die 3 Groschen Opera (The Three Penny Opera)-1931, The Body Beneath-1970, Where the Wild Things Are-2009, Bruno-2009, V for Vendetta-2005, Creature-2011, Wake Island-1942, Fort Worth-1951, To Hell and Back-1955, Hercules and the Captive Women-1961, Halls of Montezuma-1950, Hatfields and McCoys-2012, Dark Shadows-2012, Jiggs and Maggie Out West-1950, Tall Man Riding-1955, Super Shark-2011, The Reaping-2007, Eaten Alive-1977, Tough to Kill-1979, Wide Open Faces-1938, L' Opera de Quat' Sous (The Three Penny Opera)-1931, Rock of Ages-2012, Sky Racket-1937, Blood of Dracula-1957, Piranhaconda-2012, Haunted Gold-1932, The Mask of Diijon-1946, The Glass Key-1935, The Last Airbender-2010, Tundra-1936, Jackie Chan: Kung Fu Master-2009, The Telegraph Trail-1933, Silent Men-1933, The Musketeer-2001, The Lincoln Lawyer-2011, The Chase-1946, Why Sailors Go Wrong-1928, Red Cliff, Part II-2009, Frankenstein's Daughter-1958, Hanna-2011.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1248 on: July 25, 2012, 03:42:27 AM »

yeah my thoughts were how eclectic.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1249 on: July 26, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »

Not much of anything these days.... I've had discs of Sanford & Son or Our Gang on, generally my tv is set to the Weather Channel which I only check on for morning weather. Sometimes I might watch some of the ghostie stuff on Bio, History, or Travel channels.

Oh, I've watched Avatar a few more times and the Matrix.

Yup, I'm boring.

B.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.