in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715887 times)

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1925 on: September 03, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »

This is set in modern Whitechapel, Jack the Ripper's old territory? What's the show like?

There is a new Whitechapel starting this week - might have to get behind the sofa for this one - looks seriously weird and scary.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1926 on: September 03, 2013, 06:52:06 PM »

Excellent.  Here's a bit bout it:-
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a361644/whitechapel-rupert-penry-jones-phil-davis-steve-pemberton-qa.html
Although a police procedural, it's at times weird, spooky, frightening, with some fine twists and turns and a couple of great characters, including the excellent Phil Davis - you might remember him as the taxi driver in Sherlock.

I should also mention that the new series of Vera is on now.  Some of you didn't like it but we thoroughly enjoyed this weeks story.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1927 on: September 03, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »

A new "Whitechapel" and "Doc Martin"? I'm pretty sure BBC America will pick up "Whitechapel". If you haven't seen the show, believe Paw when he says "weird and scary"! Excellent show. Have been watching Penry-Jones on "Silk"- he makes a wonderful slimeball attorney! Hopefully P.B.S. will bring us the new Doc series. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1928 on: September 05, 2013, 01:38:01 AM »

I just watched Dredd. Not very worthwhile. I was disappointed. It looks like it might have had some fun 3D.

I am watching an old scifi that I do not remember called BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER.  I thought it might be a movie that I remember watching many years ago but not the name. Two guys come out of suspended animation in the future. In the future everyone works because they want to. Everyone can order anything they want but only order what they need. The one guy orders one of everything. I remember one of the items he ordered was a giraffe just because he could. Does anyone have an idea what this movie was?
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1929 on: September 05, 2013, 02:24:30 AM »

Sounds interesting, but I had little luck in tracking it down.

Was it one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(TV_pilot)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_New_World_%28television_pilot%29

I just watched Dredd. Not very worthwhile. I was disappointed. It looks like it might have had some fun 3D.

I am watching an old scifi that I do not remember called BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER.  I thought it might be a movie that I remember watching many years ago but not the name. Two guys come out of suspended animation in the future. In the future everyone works because they want to. Everyone can order anything they want but only order what they need. The one guy orders one of everything. I remember one of the items he ordered was a giraffe just because he could. Does anyone have an idea what this movie was?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1930 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:54 AM »

No not that. I know it had to be fifties or sixties. I watched on late night Chiller Theater.  After watching more of BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER I remember having seen it.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1931 on: September 05, 2013, 02:56:40 AM »

Pittsburgh or New York?

http://www.chillertheatermemories.com/Movies.html
https://sites.google.com/site/chillertheater1962/

No not that. I know it had to be fifties or sixties. I watched on late night Chiller Theater.  After watching more of BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER I remember having seen it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:59:21 AM by Roygbiv666 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1932 on: September 05, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »

I vaguely remember that film. The part about the giraffe sounds familiar.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1933 on: September 05, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »

Man thanks for the link. I do not have time to check it now but will later. It should bring back some fond memories. I watched Chilly Billy Cardilly from Pittsburgh. He is the reporter on the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. They originally showed two movies late night on Saturday. In between they did skits like the MIGHTY CARSON ART PLAYERS from Johnny Carson. I would love to see a collection of the ones of a guy who could not lie.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1934 on: September 05, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »

A real oddity from Hammer Films, SWORD OF SHERWOOD FOREST (1960) is their only film based on a popular UK TV series which actually features the star of the show in the movie.  The rest of the cast has still been replaced, however, and because of the nature of the story, it almost has to be an "alternate universe" continuity as I see no way it could fit into the run of the TV show.

Robin Hood (Richard Green) faces off mostly against the Sheriff of Nottingham (Peter Cushing), which means you've got "Sir Henry Baskerville" fighting "Sherlock Holmes"-- although Cushing comes across more like "Baron Frankenstein" in this one.

Also in the cast, I realized on my 3rd viewing, are no less than 3 actors who were in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS-- Little John is Nigel Green (Hercules), the Archbishop of Canterbury is Jack Gwillim (King Aeetes of Colchis), and Friar Tuck (the film's comic relief) is Niall MacGinnis (Zeus).  Of course, having Richard Green & Nigel Green together also means you have 2 different "Sir Dennis Nayland Smiths" side-by-side for most of the picture!

Oddly enough, the REAL villain turns out to be "Edward, Earl of NewarK", played by Richard Pasco, who I've never seen in anything else, but apparently played baddies in 3 different episodes of the tv series.

Also in the cast are Derren Nesbitt (WHERE EAGLES DARE) in one of his rare "good guy" roles, Edwin Richfield ("The Sea Devils") as a minor villain, and Oliver Reed (THE BIG SLEEP) as a total bastard, who, inexplicably, had his entire performance dubbed by another actor.

It's a "nice" film, but not a great one, as the plot tends to ramble and never quite builds any kind of momentum, resembling more than anything a 30's serial with the cliffhangers removed. Richard Green was one of the producers, and it's not by one of Hammer's regular writers, either.  Still, anything with Peter Cushing, directed by Terrence Fisher is worth a look.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1935 on: September 07, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »

Feature films watched the last couple of months-

Blood Brothers (1973), Call of the Mesquiteers (1938), The Mouse that Roared (1959), The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974), Triumph (1917), The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2012), Maniac (1963), Luxury Liner (1933), Take Shelter (2011), Hoots Mon! (1940), Warm Bodies (2013), Las Doce Sillas [The Twelve Chairs] (1962), The Awful Dr. Orloff (1964), The Butterfly Effect 2 (2006), Battlestar Galactica: The Plan (2009), The Silent Enemy (1930), Gypsy (1962), Three Smart Girls (1936), Charlie Chan in the Secret Service (1944), Red 2 (2013), The Horse Soldiers (1959), Something in the Wind (1947), Riders of Destiny (1933), Under Heavy Fire (2001), Counselor at Law (1933), Sagebrush Trail (1933), Devil Girl from Mars (1954), The Chinese Cat (1944), The Saddle Buster (1932), The Lucky Texan (1934), First Love (1939), Battleship (2012), The Unknown (1927), The Jade Mask (1945), Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2011), West of the Divide (1934), MirageMan (2007), The Cheyenne Kid (1933), Blue Steel (1934), Terror Island (1920), Flying Guillotine 2 (1978), Lady on a Train (1945), Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010), The Man from Utah (1934), It Started with Eve (1934), Blue Jasmine (2013), Blue, White and Perfect (1942), History is Made at Night (1937), Can't Help Singing (1944), The Proud Ones (1956), The White Outlaw (1925), The Raid: Redemption (2011), The Impossible (2012).

My usual assortment of films- dramas, westerns, comedies, musicals, mysteries, silents, sci-fi, horror, Asian action films, etc...

Of note-
My starting a chronological viewing of John Wayne's Lone Star westerns for Monogram (a followup to my watching of his Leon Schlesinger-Warner Brothers' western series last year).
A six film Deanna Durbin DVD set- the best one being Lady on a Train which was a humorous whodunnit adapted from a Leslie Charteris story.
A three film Charlie Chan set- all from the mid forties-his Monogram period.  All were better than I remembered them.  Certainly lower budgeted than his earlier 20th Century Fox films but all were well directed and shot with decent scripts and good casting.
A Michael Shayne film that I had never seen (Blue, White and Perfect).
A Chilean superhero film (MirageMan).
My first viewing of The Mouse that Roared in color (The last time I watched it was in the late 1970s on the old black and white TV I had in my bedroom).
Las Doce Sillas- This Cuban adaptation of The Twelve Chairs is the fourth film version of the story I have seen (The others being the George Formby, Fred Allen and Mel Brooks versions).  On doing a little research I was surprised to learn that there are at least 18 film adaptations of the novel!

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1936 on: September 08, 2013, 03:45:04 AM »

A real oddity from Hammer Films, SWORD OF SHERWOOD FOREST (1960) is their only film based on a popular UK TV series which actually features the star of the show in the movie.  The rest of the cast has still been replaced, however, and because of the nature of the story, it almost has to be an "alternate universe" continuity as I see no way it could fit into the run of the TV show.

I saw this film several years ago. I agree with your impressions, but it was good to watch just the same.
I have a number of the TV episodes on disc.

A Canadian series I'd like to see again is "the Vikings". Last I heard all episodes were lost.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1937 on: September 08, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »

Don't give up hope. It was said for years that all episodes of MY LIVING DOLL were lost but they are now on Hulu.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1938 on: September 08, 2013, 10:24:07 PM »

There was this "Summerfest" thing a Philly channel ran about 20 years back, "Golden Age Of TV", one episode each of a pile of various shows.  I put together 2 tapes, never realizing I had a 3rd with the BEST stuff still never copied to edit out the damned commercials.  ROBIN HOOD, FLASH GORDON, CHARLIE CHAN, FU MANCHU.  All this time I never realized I had 1 episode of ROBIN HOOD.  So, having watched it, I figured, okay, watch the Hammer Film while I'm at it.

The various actors mean a lot more to me now than when I first taped it off TCM (nice sharp clean print in widescreen). I was reading how Jack Gwillim spent 20 years in the Navy before becoming an actor, and some who knew him said he was practically "playing himself" half the time onscreen.  While he made a decent good guy in the RH film, I'll always remember him most as the King of Colchis, and that scene where the dragon's teeth come to life.  "KILL! KILL! KILL THEM ALLLLLLL!!!!!!!"    ;D

You know, I read a children's book version of the "Jason" story way back in the 60's, and the more I think about it, the changes to the story and the structure and order events takes place in really were a HUGE improvement, dramatically, for the JASON feature film.  Especially the part about putting that fight scene at  the END of the movie.  The only down point is, the film seems to end with the story unfinished, like they're setting up a sequel-- that we never got to see.  A shame...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:28:37 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1939 on: September 08, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »

The only down point is, the film seems to end with the story unfinished, like they're setting up a sequel-- that we never got to see.  A shame...

Actually any sequel would have been a huge downer after seeing the first film. Jason betrays Medea and casts her out. She can't return home and lives in poverty her children by Jason suffering greatly. The rest of the story is of betrayal,revenge and heart break, no great deeds .
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1940 on: September 09, 2013, 01:11:23 AM »

Yeah, I discovered that from reading online. But knowing "Hollywood", I woudln't have minded if they would have continued to make changes to the story.

I mean, at the very least, Douglas Wilmer should have gotten what was coming to him...

;)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1941 on: September 09, 2013, 01:15:15 AM »

That reminds me-- I'm sure it must be easy enough to look up, but... are any of Douglas Wilmer's episodes of SHERLOCK HOLMES available?  I know about half of the 2nd season, where he was replaced by Peter Cushing, were WIPED, but the other half are out on DVD. But I don't recall hearing one way or the other about the 1st season...

I think Wilmer did those just before he played Sir Dennis Nayland Smith in 2 of the FU MANCHU movies. He's my favorite Nayland Smith.  (Another Nayland Smith, Nigel Green, was Hercules in the same JASON film. This kind of trivia keeps sticking my my head...)
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1942 on: September 09, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Classic-Starring-Douglas/dp/B003NF97NA

That reminds me-- I'm sure it must be easy enough to look up, but... are any of Douglas Wilmer's episodes of SHERLOCK HOLMES available?  I know about half of the 2nd season, where he was replaced by Peter Cushing, were WIPED, but the other half are out on DVD. But I don't recall hearing one way or the other about the 1st season...

I think Wilmer did those just before he played Sir Dennis Nayland Smith in 2 of the FU MANCHU movies. He's my favorite Nayland Smith.  (Another Nayland Smith, Nigel Green, was Hercules in the same JASON film. This kind of trivia keeps sticking my my head...)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1943 on: September 09, 2013, 09:15:18 AM »

Wonderful. One more thing to go after once I'm back working again.

Wilmer did a one-off Holmes story, before doing the series. It looks like 11 of the 13 (or should that be 14?) still exist, a higher percentage than the Cushing episodes. It's crazy how when they decided to do a 2nd season, 3 years later, Wilmer was either unavailable or uninterested, as was their 2nd choice, John Neville!  So Peter Cushing, their 3rd choice, did it! Nigel Stock was in both series. (Kind of a reverse on the Richardson & Brett series, where each Holmes had 2 different Watsons.)

Wilmer-- along with Christopher Lee's Watson, Thorley Walters-- made one more appearance a decade later... in THE ADVENTURE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES' SMARTER BROTHER.  Outragious, ain't it?

I always get a kick watching THE VAMPIRE LOVERS, where, near the end, Wilmer & Cushing appear side-by-side.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1944 on: September 14, 2013, 03:05:26 AM »

A Canadian series I'd like to see again is "the Vikings". Last I heard all episodes were lost.

I have the vaguest recollection of this series, but all my searches on the internet turn up nothing about it. Any other details on the series?
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1945 on: September 14, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »

Is the title actually "The Vikings"? When did it air - 60s 70s? Live action or cartoon?

I have the vaguest recollection of this series, but all my searches on the internet turn up nothing about it. Any other details on the series?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1946 on: September 14, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »

The last week or so...

SCREAM OF THE WOLF  (1974)
COUNT DRACULA  (1977 / BBC)
THUNDER ROAD  (1958)
McCloud--  THE SOLID GOLD SWINGERS
SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT
The Night Stalker-- THE RIPPER

"Sam, I don't wanna suggest that you're responsible for my not getting my Lieutenant shield yet... but I KNOW if I crack this case, I'm sure to get it!"
"Now Joe, there's nobody ah know that deserves it more. That's why I'm gonna do everything I can t' see that you get it."
"So you're GOING BACK TO TAOS??"

:D
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1947 on: September 14, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »

Any luck figuring out the movie?

Man thanks for the link. I do not have time to check it now but will later. It should bring back some fond memories. I watched Chilly Billy Cardilly from Pittsburgh. He is the reporter on the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. They originally showed two movies late night on Saturday. In between they did skits like the MIGHTY CARSON ART PLAYERS from Johnny Carson. I would love to see a collection of the ones of a guy who could not lie.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1948 on: September 14, 2013, 09:41:43 PM »

I looked through 1970 and saw a lot of names that I did not recognize. Which means I have to go to IMDB and look each one up. Not had the time yet. Then I gotta try surrounding years. My guess is around 1970. I really wish someone had the Chilly Billy features between the movies recorded somewhere. I know they are probably not as good as I remember them as a kid, but I want to see his guy who could not lie.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1949 on: September 14, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »

Bummer. don't you have minions you can have do it for you? ;-)

Apparently, Chilly Billy played the reporter in Romero's Night of the Living Dead.

I looked through 1970 and saw a lot of names that I did not recognize. Which means I have to go to IMDB and look each one up. Not had the time yet. Then I gotta try surrounding years. My guess is around 1970. I really wish someone had the Chilly Billy features between the movies recorded somewhere. I know they are probably not as good as I remember them as a kid, but I want to see his guy who could not lie.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.