in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715876 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2875 on: April 29, 2021, 03:22:24 AM »

I have (nearly) the entire 1990s THE FLASH series on videotape from when it was first-run.  (1 episode near the end was interrupted by a news broadcast, so I'm missing the MIDDLE of the story.)

For the new series, my best friend gave me the season 1 box set, and I wound up watching ONE episode per week, talking on the phone with him after each one.  Like an increasing number of recent shows, it's one big season-long mystery, that builds and builds in builds, in ways most of the old 1930s-40s serials only dreamed of and rarely ever did. The ONLY thing I was deeply annoyed by was... the season finale ALSO ended on a cliffhanger.  They really should put breaks between seasons.

So now I'm working on season 2, which I got myself.  Again, a season-long storyline, with possibly even more plot twists than the 1st season. 

Crazy thing:  the main villain in season 1 was from the future, and created an alternate-timeline as a result of his trip to the past. I like to think that-- possibly-- the "original" timeline was the one in the comics.  He get killed in the finale... but then the SAME person (well, NOT EXACTLY) turns up in season 2, from "Earth-2".  It's really crazy, especially one moment where a cop recognizes him but doesn't realize it's not the same guy until after they SHOOT him and nearly kill him.  (Trigger-happy cops... seems to be a running theme RIGHT NOW.)

Regarding LOST IN SPACE... crazy enough, something that never occured to me until only a few weeks ago... Irwin Allen gave Jonathan Harris free reign to re-write his own dialogue.  However, it suddenly hit me recently, in any scenes involving THE ROBOT, he must have been re-writing his dialogue, too, for those scenes to work.  And starting in the 2nd half of season 1... in ALMOST every episode, The Robot gets THE BEST LINES.  Even if he only has ONE line in a whole story. It cracks me up that Harris, despite having what has to be a huge ego, had enough comic instinct to give Dick Tufeld better lines than he did himself.

Like after Smith has betrayed the Robot and sold him to The Trader...

"I BEG you pardon, SIR!  I DON'T believe I KNOW you!"

Or when Smith believes he has a chance to go back to Earth, but that he must "clear his good name" when he gets there...

"You will have to tell a FEW WHOPPERS to do THAT!"

You know something else I didn't realize until recently?  Dick Tufeld, who was the narrator on VOYAGE... and LOST IN SPACE, was later the narrator on THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 03:26:45 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Mr. Magnificent

message icon
« Reply #2876 on: April 29, 2021, 05:05:21 PM »

The last show I really watched was Supernatural. I tried watching Batwoman and Stargirl but lost interest after a few episodes. I kept thinking Batwoman had to be about over but it just kept going.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2877 on: April 30, 2021, 12:21:12 AM »

Stargirl has been a bright spot in the DC TV stable. I HATE all the time travel alternate universe nonsense in most of their series. It even ruined the last couple Arrow seasons. Black Lightning has kept my intereste.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2878 on: April 30, 2021, 09:26:31 AM »

Interesting.  I agree with narf about Stargirl and I've watched the first 2 episodes. I thought S.T.R.I.P.E was hilarious and as a fan of the Stargirl comic, some of it made my day. BUT, I'm watching, for the first time, the DC crossover events as I bought the DVDs this week.  I really like a crossover/team-up.  Dominators were great aliens in the comics.  I gave up early on with the DC tv series, apart from Legends, as I couldn't bear the false emotions being aired all over the place. That's how I missed the crossovers.  Mind, some of the fight scenes might get a bit boring after a while.  Unlike the start of Stargirl - wont say any more, spoilers.
I've watched the 1st episode of Black Lghtning and I'd like to see more.
I've said before that I enjoy some of the DC animations and I'm currently on JSA WW2.
Justice League Dark intrigues me and I now have a copy of Apokolips War.  A drunk Etrigan, great.
More importantly for umpteen millions in the UK is the final episode of Line of Duty this Sunday evening. All sorts of theories going around.  But how will they wrap it all up in an hour?  Heaven only knows.  Well, we all will on Sunday.  DO NOT MISS IT!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2879 on: April 30, 2021, 11:21:20 AM »

Speaking of DC properties, I found for $2.00 a DVD of the animated movie of 'Freedom Fighters - The Ray' which I didn't know existed. I am a fan of those [originally Quality] characters, so I will enjoy this.

I have had a great week in the bargain shops. No less than $ DVD sets.
First two sets from Universal Pictures, The Franksnstein Legacy collection - all the Karloff movies and the Dracular legacy collection - all the Bela Lugosi's .
On top of that, The George Sanders Saint collection - 5 Saint movies. Also an SF series I had never heard of before , NOW AND AGAIN.
  A cross on 'The Six Million Dollar Man' and a family romantic drama. 

You can find it here.
Now and Again - 01 - Origins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_hfQgtj6cM&list=PLHJPG3vYhBtY_MaK-_VEVrRasLG9qOLfU

Cheers!

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2880 on: May 02, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »

My best friend knew what a fan I was of STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E., so he sent me the 2 earlier appearances of Stargirl, followed by all 13 weeks of her show, followed by her appearances on the 5-minute JUSTCE LEAGUE ACTION cartoons, which are mostly played for laughs.  So imagine that-- 4 DIFFERENT, UNRELATED versions of Stargirl, all at once.

While I've been trying to watch most shows one episode a week, I couldn't do that with STARGIRL, and wound up watching all 13 episodes in about 2-3 weeks.  WOW.  Like most modern-day comics and TV series, the villains on this show are INTENSELY evil.  I told my friend, as I got near the end, I was compiling of checklist of WHICH characters I realy, really wanted to see DEAD by the end of the story.

No spoilers... but, the finale was VERY satisfying.  Except for one thing.  They did 4 epilogues, back-to-back.  2 of them were okay.  But the other 2 were there-- AS USUAL-- to set up the NEXT episode, or in this case, the next SEASON.  And if I were writing these things, I would have held those back until the opening scenes of season 2.  I like breaks between stories. And TV seasons.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2881 on: May 02, 2021, 09:17:20 PM »

Let's see, since then I've watched a bunch of pilots...

BLACK LIGHTING -- very good, but WAY too nasty for my tastes.  it reminded me of some of the stuff I wrote back in high school, except without any sense of fun or humor.  I just kept wanting the villains to DIE as quickly and as violently as possible.

KRYPTON -- very good, but the whole time, I kept being reminded, more than anything else, of Timothy Truman's 3-issue prestige mini, "HAWKWORLD".  I told Truman this!  I said what he did was 30 years ahead of it time.

TITANS -- I didn't like this at all.  while Raven is cuter than she ever was in the comics, her story is far darker, sicker, more disturbing.  Also, I didn't like what they did with Starfire either.  And as for Robin, I can't abide ANY version of Batman where Robin had a terminal falling out with his best friend, crime-fighting partner & adopted older brother.  (Consider this a big F*** you to Denny O'Neil and the entire Post-Crisis Batman.)

DOOM PATROL -- weird, sick, way, way too much profanity, and yet, strangely mezmerizing.  I was floored that they focused so much on the original 4 characters.  The slow evolution and growth of Robotman was amazing, especially once he reached a point where he was so cool with things.  And I was genuinely stunned by how good Timothy Dalton-- long one of my favorite actors-- brought Niles Caulder to life.  He even seemed to have the SAME accent as Sebastian Cabot, the actor that Caulder was originally based on!  I kept wondering what Arnold Drake might have thought of all this.

SWAMP THING -- This felt in parts like a much-better version of Carpenter's "THE THING" in spots.  I got so much into the main character, that it really hurt when, near the end of the hour, he got MURDERED in such a horrific way, only to come back (not quite) as a swamp creature.  My best friend lamented that this was cancelled before its time, because behind the scenes, someone else wanted to do THEIR OWN, unrelated version of SWAMP THING.  W--T--F???

PENNYWORTH -- Like watching a really well-made train wreck.  Nasty, VISCIOUS, brutal, but oddly satisfying.  Not sure I'd ever care to see more of this or not.  Apart from Alfred sounding an awful lot like Michael Caine, the other really weird thing was the 2 hired enforcers, the totally-insane blonde woman and her chauffer, who reminded me of REALLY EVIL versions of Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward and her butler Parker from THUNDERBIRDS.

SUPERBOY -- How is it a show from the 80s looks and feels like a Saturday morning show from the early 70s???  My friend sent 2 episodes, one from each season. I see Fred Freiberger was producer & writer on the first, while Mike Carlin & Andy Helfer were involved in the second.  A definite improvement.  I'd seen one of these a couple years ago, and thought the show managed to capture the feel of Silver Age DC Comics FAR BETTER than the Christopher Reeve movies ever did.  REALLY.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 09:20:31 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2882 on: May 02, 2021, 10:21:41 PM »

Let's see, since then I've watched a bunch of pilots...

PENNYWORTH -- the other really weird thing was the 2 hired enforcers, the totally-insane blonde woman and her chauffer, who reminded me of REALLY EVIL versions of Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward and her butler Parker from THUNDERBIRDS.

The two most dangerous puppets ever, both stone killers.

Check out Joan Greenwood in "Mysterious Island" 1961 her voice is pretty much identical to that of Lady Penelope. That sort of voice is called "Plummy".
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2883 on: May 03, 2021, 05:13:50 AM »

Prof - 'WAY too nasty for my tastes' 'far darker, sicker, more disturbing.' weird, sick, way, way too much profanity' 'Like watching a really well-made train wreck.  Nasty, VISCIOUS, brutal,' 

This is exactly why I am not in a hurry to watch too many current TV series.
I watched the first two seasons of Gotham, -for the actors performances. but that was enough.
Agents of Shield was a strange take on the franchise in the first place, but just got more and more literally off the planet. So i didn't stay with that.
I will check out Doom Patrol, I have been with the original characters a long time.
Timothy Dalton-- long one of my favourite actors
Agreed. He is one of the few actors that gives you the impression that he doesn't take himself too seriously. And the roles he takes also give the impression that he picks them because they are a lot of fun for him.
And as for Robin, I can't abide ANY version of Batman where Robin had a terminal falling out with his best friend, crime-fighting partner & adopted older brother.
Not only and Quite apart from that the bad language trailer grabber was childish, out of character,and obvious, and made me not want to watch the series.
That said, that description describes Jason, the second Robin - and DC has been doing some interesting things with him. He has become a well-fleshed out character. 
the totally-insane blonde woman and her chauffeur, who reminded me of REALLY EVIL versions of Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward and her butler Parker from THUNDERBIRDS.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't deliberate.  Making every character Totally insane and evil is what passes for creative right now, and is really really cool!   
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2884 on: May 03, 2021, 11:11:34 AM »

I'm very pleased with Stargirl but I'm making the episodes last.  And you're right about the villains - bad men, bad men, as an ex president might have said.
I tried Gotham but was repulsed by the violence and atmosphere.  Having seen the start of Titans, I'm not sure how much more I want to see. I find Batman of recent years unreadable. 
Doom Patrol has long been a particular favourite of mine and I can still remember the excitement of buying and reading MGA #80. I'll approach the tv version with care, while realising and reminding myself that these tv versions of comicbook characters are not the same.  I try to forget the comicbook versions and just watch the shows as new universes. 
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2885 on: May 04, 2021, 08:14:07 PM »

I was just re-watching Joan Greeenwood in the low-key comedy, "WHISKEY GALORE", set on a tiny Scottish island during WW2.  Until I looked her up, I kept wonder, WHERE have I seen (or heard) her before?  Yes, of course, THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, where she falls in love with the newspaper reporter.  I've also seen her in "AT BETRAM'S HOTEL", one of the Joan Hickson Miss Marples.  Those were a VERY slow boil for me, having taped them off PBS in the 80s, and yet NOT ever really enjoying them until about 2 years ago, when I decided the only way I could make sense of any of them, was to watch each one TWICE back-to-back (a week apart), before moving on to the next story in the series.  IT WORKED!

Penelope, of course, would be a younger, somewhat smoother version of Greenwood, as voiced by Sylvia Anderson.  The big surprise for me was HOW MUCH I liked the Lady Penelope who appeared in the 2004 THUNDERBIRDS live-action movie.  Looking back, and I've discussed this at gruesome length with my friend in Wales, Penelope & Parker DO NOT BELONG on that show, AT ALL, having been conceived as stars of their own, totally-separate series.  But it was a compromise, a "marriage made in HELL" between Gerry & Sylvia.  Despite this, the pair actually seem to fit much better in the live-action film than they ever did on the old marionette show.

The villains on STARGIRL are a mix of "bad" and INCREDIBLY-EVIL bastards, which becomes clear early on when one of the worst ones MURDERS another villain who just isn't evil enough for his purposes.  Developments later in the story paint them EVEN WORSE as they go, and I was inwardly PRAYING they'd meet horribly violent deaths before it was all over.

It's currently my 2nd-favorite after THE FLASH, and I'm looking forward to the 2nd season (assuming it happens).

And speaking of "INCREDIBLY EVIL"... I just saw the Vandal Savage 2-parter.  OH MY GOD.  I have hated, REALLY HATED that character for decades. 

It's also mind-boggling how they managed to CRAM like the entire comics history of Katar & Shayera into 2 TV episodes, right up to the latest incarnation with Kendra.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:18:48 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2886 on: May 05, 2021, 06:05:48 AM »

I was just re-watching Joan Greeenwood in the low-key comedy, "WHISKEY GALORE", set on a tiny Scottish island during WW2.  Until I looked her up, I kept wonder, WHERE have I seen (or heard) her before? Yes, of course, THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, where she falls in love with the newspaper reporter.  I've also seen her in "AT BETRAM'S HOTEL", one of the Joan Hickson Miss Marples.  Those were a VERY slow boil for me, having taped them off PBS in the 80s, and yet NOT ever really enjoying them until about 2 years ago, when I decided the only way I could make sense of any of them, was to watch each one TWICE back-to-back (a week apart), before moving on to the next story in the series.  IT WORKED!

Penelope, of course, would be a younger, somewhat smoother version of Greenwood, as voiced by Sylvia Anderson.  The big surprise for me was HOW MUCH I liked the Lady Penelope who appeared in the 2004 THUNDERBIRDS live-action movie.  Looking back, and I've discussed this at gruesome length with my friend in Wales, Penelope & Parker DO NOT BELONG on that show, AT ALL, having been conceived as stars of their own, totally-separate series.  But it was a compromise, a "marriage made in HELL" between Gerry & Sylvia.  Despite this, the pair actually seem to fit much better in the live-action film than they ever did on the old marionette show.

Joan Greenwood of the oh so husky voice, eh?  She was also in Kind Hearts and Coronets with a very young Alec Guiness, who played 9 different characters in that vehicle, and The Man In The White Suit (again with Guiness).  She was also in The Detective-in which Guiness plays Father Brown, and The October Man, along with John Mills, The Importance of Being Earnest, with Michael Redgrave, and Moonfleet, with Stewart Granger and George Sanders.

I grew up on such 1930s through early 1950s British film fare.  That was much of what was on television in Canada, in its early days.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:22:08 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2887 on: May 05, 2021, 08:23:37 AM »

I grew up on such 1930s through early 1950s British film fare.  That was much of what was on television in Canada, in its early days. 

It was much the same in OZ. The ABC, the national broadcaster, found it cheaper and more convenient to screen British Movies and TV shows. Eventually the commercial channels [of which there are now 3 networks, but many different channels] found out that we would watch US movies and TV. My Dad and I bonded over Z-Cars and Barlow. He was also a huge fan of British Comedy, particularly Eric Sykes. But Python left him puzzled.   
I have fond memories of 'Whisky Galore' and many other British Movies. I was at Boarding School and we had a movie every Saturday Night, the teacher who selected the movies was very knowledgable [ He went on to have a career in the Film Industry] and selected qualities films mainly produced by J Arthur Rank. So we saw some great movies. 'The War Lover' and ' The Loneliness of the long distance runner' are two that come to mind fairly quickly. 
Them were the days.

Cheers         
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2888 on: May 06, 2021, 09:11:30 AM »

I got seen now the first half of the new Looney Tunes series "New Looney Tunes" (formerly known as Wabbit - A Looney Tunes Production) from 2015. This series is about my favorite rabbit: Bugs Bunny. New characters appear, but there are also old friends like Yosemite Sam, Porky Pig and my personal hero Wile E.Coyote  8)  to see.

The series is very well drawn, modern and classic at the same time, especially the buildings and the background landscapes are very reminiscent of the classic cartoons. Since it's a modern series, terms like the internet pop up and you see tablets, PCs and mobile phones, but really not very often, so the creators have really managed to revive the spirit of the old cartoons. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Looney_Tunes
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2889 on: May 09, 2021, 10:45:03 PM »

Stargirl has been a bright spot in the DC TV stable. I HATE all the time travel alternate universe nonsense in most of their series. It even ruined the last couple Arrow seasons. Black Lightning has kept my intereste.

OH, MY, GAWD.

I just saw the 1st of those later "ARROW" episodes the other day, and thought about what you'd said here.  EXACTLY right.  WTF??  Total CRAP beyond all reason.  And even if they hadn't had that "alternate timeline" nonsense, just the writing, the interaction between every single character, was some of the worst stuff I've ever seen.  NOBODY talks like these people do.  NOBODY.

How in the HELL can you decide to bring a TV series to a conclusion... but THEN, decide to GO ON, starting out by doing what they did here?

I swear, next time I talk with my best friend on the phone, I'm gonna have to tell him... PLEASE... NO MORE DC shows.  EVER.

I mean... yeah, I am actually looking forward to getting my hands on the complete run of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN with George Reeves at some point.  I am.  also, in a totally-perverse way, I'm lookng forward to getting ahold of the 1968 Filmation BATMAN cartoons.  But most of this other stuff... AAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I saw the BATWOMAN pilot, and after, had to tell him, "Now... THIS... was a DAMNED good show."  But most of the others?  Crap.  CRAP!!!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:49:55 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2890 on: May 09, 2021, 10:54:26 PM »

Last week I saw "The Invaders" episode of "VOYAGE" with Robert Duvall, who makes a career out of playing really strange characters.  And from start to finish, I swore that one almost had to have been a re-purposed script left over when "THE OUTER LIMITS" was cancelled in mid-season.

There's also an infamous 1st-season "STAR TREK" that I believe was a leftover "OL" script-- "The Alternative Factor".  It would have made way, way more sense if it had taken place on Earth, instead of on some random deserted planet.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2891 on: May 09, 2021, 11:01:26 PM »

On top of that, The George Sanders Saint collection - 5 Saint movies.

I love those, but they should have ALL 9 movies in one box set.

THE SAINT IN NEW YORK is, arguably, the only time they ever had an actor AUTHENTICALLY portray the Simon Templar from the books.  That said, THE SAINT IN LONDON is currently my favorite of the series, as it gives the single best depiction of Templar's "world", including the best Inspector Teal ever, and, my favorite Saint girl, Sally Gray.

THE SAINT TAKES OVER is my 2nd-favorite Sanders film in the series.  Part of it is actually a semi-remake of his 1st one, as I believe it's loosely based on "Angels of Doom", where a woman is seeking vengeance on those responsible for her father's death.  But what makes this one so entertaining, and hilarious, is how every time another dead body turns up, Simon jokingly blames Fernack for it (and vice-versa).  "Oh, Henry..." "Now WAIT a minute!  I didn't do THIS!!"  (Now he knows how it feels-- heh.)

THE SAINT'S VACATION is another top favorite.  Cecil Parker gets my vote for the best-ever Saint villain.  He's so smooth!  The follow-up, sadly, less so.  And I finally saw THE SAINT'S GIRL FRIDAY not long ago.  Was shocked how dark and dreary it was.  Then I realized it was made by Hammer Films.  WTF?  They were like the last people on the planet who should have been doing a "Saint" story. Even Louis Hayward couldn't save that thing.  (How the hell did he get roped into coming back for that?)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 11:07:17 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2892 on: May 10, 2021, 04:48:13 AM »

THE SAINT IN NEW YORK is, arguably, the only time they ever had an actor AUTHENTICALLY portray the Simon Templar from the books.

Yes, Damn Good movie. I think I have it on a hard drive somewhere.

What exasperates me, is just how our of character the comic book saint was.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2893 on: May 10, 2021, 01:13:43 PM »

Yes, Damn Good movie. I think I have it on a hard drive somewhere.

What exasperates me, is just how our of character the comic book saint was.

"...IN NEW YORK" was my favorite for awhile.  It has a few problems.  For one, it LOOKS CHEAP.  For another, having read the novel, whatever possessed them, early in the Production Code era, to pick the single MOST VIOLENT Saint book to adapt, then they had to seriojusly TONE IT DOWN?  They cut down most of the killings, and they had Simon doing it for "altrusistic" reasons, while in the book, he did it FOR THE MONEY (as well as because it was a good thing to do).

Hayward got far better offers on far-better films (includng James Whale's EPIC rewrite of 'THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK", which I like better than the Fairbanks version!).

I feel George Sanders was completely wrong to play Templar.  His first film I rate as the worst one ever made.  But his 2nd one... WHOA!!!  "...IN LONDON" is a case of an actor rising above his own limittations and making a role HIS.  He is so much fun in that movie. And I love his dealings with Gordon MacLeod's Teal, who's smart enough to know it's to his advantage to let Templar solve the crime for him.

Real fun:  "SON OF MONTE CRISTO".  Louis Hayward as the hero-- George Sanders as the VILLAIN!  And Joan Bennett as the leading lady. Also, I'm convinced Sanders' character in this film was the model for the main villain in Herge's Tintin stories, "King Ottokar's Sceptre" and its sequel "Explorers On The Moon"

I don't remember if I read any SAINT comics or not.  But i have heard a couple of the radio shows (I really, really need to hear more).  Again, to me, Vincent Price is the last guy I'd imagine as Templar.  he doesn't look right at all.  But on the radio... WOW!  Between the writing and his performance, the radio Templar is arguably WAY more authentic than Roger Moore ever was.

I'm working my way thru getting SHERLOCK HOLMES on DVD right now.  So it'll be awhile before I want to go after other old series... but upgrading those SAINT films would definitely be on the agenda.  I don't know if the 9th one is widely available... BUT, there is a seller in England who specializes in rare, out-of-print films on "DVD-R" who has it.  I already have one film that way.  They don't play on regular DVD players, but, they will play on a computer DVD drive, and, from what I've read, they should also play on a Blu-Ray machine... and I'm planning to get one soon.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:22:23 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2894 on: May 12, 2021, 08:54:48 AM »

Prof, I've purchased several DVD-R discs from TCM and Warner and they all play perfectly well on my Sanyo player. Don't know about Blu-Ray 'cuz I've never owned one.
"Saint in New York" is also one of my favorites. Never read the story, so I can't compare the film to it, but I totally enjoyed Hayward's performance. That almost psychopathic grin of his as he's about to dispose of some thug is priceless! This guy really LOVES his work!
Also loved "Son of Monte Christo". No one could play a cultured, yet slimy, villain quite like George Sanders could! Hayward was wonderful, Joan Bennet was adorable, and we even got to see Clayton Moore without a mask. The script was pretty pedestrian, but this cast pulled it off quite nicely. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2895 on: May 12, 2021, 09:06:22 AM »

They don't play on regular DVD players, but, they will play on a computer DVD drive, and, from what I've read, they should also play on a Blu-Ray machine 

And if you have a relatively new computer - and mine is actually over 5 years old - it should play Blue Ray discs by default.

The cheaper option - presumably, you have a relatively good Television wit a large screen which is your preferred choice for watching Videos, use a Wireless HDMI device to stream the movie from your computer to the TV.
How to stream from a PC to a TV
https://www.trustedreviews.com/how-to/how-to-stream-from-a-pc-to-a-tv-2937608

Much cheaper, simple to do and one less piece of large electronics to find a place for.   
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2896 on: May 12, 2021, 01:06:05 PM »

I'm just not into "wireless" anything right now.  It was virtually like pulling teeth when my office forced me to start using a "stupid" phone to clock in and out.  But that's ALL I use it for,  I refuse to even try out any of the other programs.  To me, that's what a full-size desktop computer with a full-size physical keyboard is for.

I desperately need to get a new DVD player as it is, so, a Blu-Ray player it is.  (Once I get all these car repairs out of the way.)

Just saw the 2nd-season opener for "BATWOMAN" last night.  I wish to God my best friend HADN'T sent me that.  The whole premise of the show was over-complicated to begin with, but, somehow, it managed to work.  I especially feel the lead actress was the glue that held the whole thing together.  Suddenly, she's GONE, they've INCREASED the number of incestuous complications, and all those other characters just seem even more like the extraneous DERIVIATIVES they really were to begin with.  How the hell do you take something that actually worked, and F*** it up THAT BADLY in the 2nd season???

Of course, I've seen that before ("TEMPERATURES RISING", with Cleavon Little-- anybody remember that? --or, the 4th season of "ROOM 222", a favorite until they screwed with it, then I just STOPPED watching, and wasn't surprised when it got cancelled soon after).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 01:08:31 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2897 on: May 13, 2021, 04:15:40 PM »

My e-mail account was HACKED, and for 26 hours, I wasn't able to receive anything, and e-mails I'd send weren't getting where they should.  MORE than 2 hours on the phone with 3 different Comcast techs, and it all seems fixed now.

I just wanted to mention, it's VERY annoying, when you're trying to get something FIXED... and someone on the phone (the first of the 3) decides that's the moment to try SELLING me services I DON'T WANT and DON'T NEED.

Why is it so incomprehensible to some people that a person might NOT be interested, AT ALL, in having any kind of cable TV or "streaming" service??

Honestly, if I had cable (like I did 12 years ago), I might not be able to get ANY work done at home.  I love doing EXACTLY what I'm doing right now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 04:18:43 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2898 on: May 13, 2021, 08:05:30 PM »

I agree, Prof, it is annoying. Unfortunately, such unwanted sales pitches have become part of their job. Don't blame the tech, blame the managers who enforce upgrade quotas and punish those who fail to meet them. Comcast is NOTORIOUS for terrible customer service- I'm surprised you actually got someone to talk to! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2899 on: May 14, 2021, 01:59:37 AM »

Tonight on BATMAN:  "The Clock King Gets Crowned"

"But-- you're DEAD!  You HAVE to be DEAD!"
"Let's just say we're LIVING ON BORROWED TIME!"

--Clock King & Robin
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.