in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715859 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #3050 on: October 30, 2021, 03:11:21 PM »

I've seen A CASE OF EVIL when it was first broadcast, in fact I have a tape of it.  Didn't like it.  At all.  Then again, with a few notable exceptions, I don't tend to care for most "updated" Holmes films... or those that mutilate the characters.  (I put up with it up to the mid-1940s.  But after that...)  Frankly, ever since Jeremy Brett (who is NOT my favorite these days!), I've consistently just not seen the point of people continuing to do "Holmes" films in the wake of the Granada series which (for most of it) was so exceptionally well-done.

Yeah, I know, cynical types will always chime in, "The point is to MAKE MONEY."

This was the same attitude that inspired someone to do "THE BATMAN" cartoon series almost immediately after the 90s WB BATMAN cartoon series ended, which was so good, so superior on every level, that someone going ahead and doing a "different" Batman series right after, just to do one and be different, gave me ZERO interest in ever, ever watching it.

(Wasn't this Holmes post in the wrong thread?)   ;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3051 on: October 30, 2021, 03:23:43 PM »

As of last week, I've finally, officially, started on a long-delayed "Horror Movie Marathon".  I started assembling a list last night, although, this morning, I've begun to wonder if I shouldn't make it instead a general "1930s Movie Marathon", and dig out pretty much everything in my collection from that era.  That would be different.

I've got so many videotapes, probably more than I could ever do "upgrades" of all of it, and in many cases of late, I've been playing OLD tapes with the idea that this may be the last time I watch many of these movies on tape, before upgrading them with DVDs.  There's just no way I could (or would want to) get that many DVDs in such a short space of time, both because of the financial restrictions and storage space.  (I've been giving serious thought to DUMPING huge chunks of my comic-book and magazine collections to make room for stuff I actually may want to enjoy more than once.)

So anyway, last week was "THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA" with Lon Chaney-- the version with the Rick Wakeman score.  Ever since I got this 20 years ago, trying to watch the film with a traditional orchestral score just puts me to sleep by comparison.

Last night, the eternally-creaky "DRACULA" (1931) with Bela Lugosi.  There's basically 3 actors in here who completely steal the movie-- Lugosi, Dwight Frye (who was typecast as raving lunatics after this), and Edward Van Sloan.  They seem to be in a completely-different movie from everyone else, whihc may be in large part because from some accounts, director Tod Browning was depressed about the death of Lon Chaney and totally disinterested in the film he was making!  It makes me wish the director of the Spanish version (made at night on the same sets) had actually directed the Lugosi version.

There's a lot of classic visuals and dialogue in here, but the film suffers terribly from being TOO static, from having CUTS made before and after its original release, and possibly whole scenes never being shot in the first place (the Spanish version is MUCH-longer!).

Helen Chandler may be the most-annoying and least-attractive Mina I've ever seen, and David Manners, while extremely-handsome, also gets on my nerves for his constant disbelief at what's going on.  The scene where Van Helsing finally convinces him-- when they see Lucy alive and Van Helsing destroys her-- is completely MISSING from the film, and I'm still not sure if it was filmed but cut or not filmed at all.  (It's one of THE highlights of both the Terrence Fisher and Mel Brooks adaptations.)  It's extra infuriating, because in the novel (this film and Brooks' were both adapted from the stage play), Jonathan Harker was the HERO of the story. Before the action moved to Whitby & London, HE KNEW what Dracula was.

Despite all these problems, I'm looking forward somewhere down the line to upgrading this (and many others) to DVD.  My current VCR has way too much loud "HISS" noise when I'm watching tapes therse days.

I think what really hurts, even more, is that the Mel Brooks film, which was such a LOVE LETTER to the Lugosi film, is a far-more entertaining watch.  "Renfield, you IDIOT!"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 03:36:08 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3052 on: October 31, 2021, 07:01:11 AM »

Recently I read about a 100th anniversary release of the 1920 German fantasy film, The Golem. I've been reading about this movie all my adult life without ever having seen it. Proving I'm still stuck in the last century, it wasn't until I read about this new reissue that it occurred to me The Golem might be on YouTube. And so it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB4h_cyB0ds

This exceptional restoration from original negatives was created a couple of years ago by the F.W. Murnau Institute in Germany. It's worth reading the introductory titles (turn on Closed Captions for English) to learn about the lengths to which they went in their attempt to recreate the original 1920 release. Their effort paid off. The print is clear and clean, complete with the original color tinting.

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari is usually cited as the masterpiece of Expressionist production design, but in my opinion The Golem blows it away. Carl Boese's direction matches the designs perfectly, using compositions and camera angles that emphasize twisty vertical architecture reminiscent of Philippe Druillet's environments. The numerous special effects are a bit cheesy by today's standards but quite sophisticated for 1920.

I knew almost nothing about the movie despite my film history classes, so I read up on it. There were actually three Golem movies. This one, the third, is the only one that has survived. Its full title is The Golem: How He Came Into the World. It's a prequel to the lost first film. While it's usually billed as a horror story, the fantasy elements are stronger than the horror bits.  Only near the end does The Golem wander into monster movie territory. Clearly the movie influenced Whale's Frankenstein.

What I'd read about The Golem gave me the impression that it concerned a rabbi who brings a stone figure to life to protect his people from a pogrom. That isn't quite accurate. The story, set in vague feudal times, opens with the local emperor ordering the Jews to leave their Ghetto, a fortress-like walled walled city. Rabbi Loew, the mystic who oversees the city, sculpts a clay warrior, the Golem, which he brings to life in order to protect his people. But in fact the animated Golem never fights on behalf of the Jews. He starts his new "life" as Rabbi Loew's servant. The rabbi shows the creature off at a party at the Emperor's castle. The Golem saves the partygoers when the roof collapses. In gratitude the Emperor cancels the pogrom. Real trouble doesn't start until later when a realignment of the stars drives the Golem bonkers.

If there's a weak spot in The Golem it's the acting. Almost everyone indulges in over-the-top melodrama. The crowd "horrified reaction" shots are silly. When the heroine gets the hots for the Emperor's son her bosom-clutching and heavy breathing are laughable. On the other hand co-director Paul Wegener does a respectable job as the Golem, especially in two scenes in which the creature shows a gentler side. The film held my attention throughout despite the excess ham.

This restoration's weak point is its soundtrack. It's another of those electronic bleep-bloop things that often seem to be foisted upon silent fantasy and s-f films. Five minutes in I killed the track and watched the movie in blessed silence.  The film's original score was believed lost. However a copy resurfaced in 2018. A reconstructed version premiered in 2020. I wish the Murnau folks would marry that score to their restored feature.

The anniversary reissue has been rescored by members of the Flaming Lips, Los Lobos, and Threshing Floor. You may watch it for free at Reboot Rescored:

https://rebooting.com/golem/

From their website: "Just in time for Halloween, and aligned with the 100th anniversary of the theatrical release, we?ve created a groundbreaking  new score for the classic horror film The Golem: How He Came Into the World. The film has been broken down into eight parts and along with new music from renowned artists, each episode features commentary from scholars, composers and film historians discussing the significance of the film with a deep dive into the Jewish history, occultism, cinematography, and more.

The commentary is interesting in places, but mostly boring. The new score is dreadful. I sampled several of the eight episodes because I couldn't stand listening to any one of them for long. The music jumps between ambient electronica, not much different from the bleep-bloop score, and driving rock heavy on distorted guitars. The one consistent trait is that the music never relates to what's on the screen. Just one example is an early scene introducing the rabbi's lovely daughter and his assistant. The boy is smitten with her but she doesn't notice and he's too shy to speak. It's a light scene played with a touch of poignancy. The soundtrack however is a creepy moan mixed from distant feedback, synthesizer growls, echoing clanks, and barely-heard ghostly voices. It's the stuff horror movies are made of. What's more, almost identical music is used during dramatic character interactions, scenes of magic, love scenes, and  a collapsing castle.

I don't want Max Steiner-like scores where there's a note for every footstep. But just like editing, music has a major influence on the a film's emotional impact. In this score all the scenes mush together, draining away the emotional charge that comes from changes in tempo and rising / falling energy levels.

Finally, the anniversary re-release print is much worse than the Murnau Institute print. Most scenes are blurry and overexposed, like your average Public Domain DVD, and there is no scene tinting. Watch this one if you're curious, but for a full experience watch the Murnau version and turn down the bleeps.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3053 on: October 31, 2021, 07:52:33 AM »

That channel where you found the Golem has a few absolute classics.

Classic Movies Library
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOqOskmhidMBOAhe1gYljmQ

Most significant being
Battleship Potyomkin, dir. Sergei Eisenstein, 1925,
This guy invented quite a lot of what are now considered basic cinema techniques.

Also we have an Erich Von Stroheim film
3 Buster Keatons
the 1920 'the mark of Zorro'

I will let you discover the others by yourself.

watch em while they are still free!

Thank you Crash!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 11:15:38 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3054 on: October 31, 2021, 03:27:04 PM »

In my reading about the finding & restorations of the 1914 & 1929 HOUND, it was mentioned there may be a TON of "lost" German films from the silent era waiting to be rediscovered.

The music scores on the silents I've seen this year have been mostly wonderful.  This includes the one Eille Norwood Holmes short that appears to currently be on Youtube, but NOT on DVD (bizarre).

2 of my favorite silents back in 1984 and 1990 did get loud rock scores, and I LOVE both of those.  But even I would say that kind of thing isn't for every film.  20 years ago, I went out of my way to get ahold of the videotape of Chaney's PHANTOM with the Rick Wakeman score, and recently, I found that version IS out there on DVD, and plan to get one soon.  The last time I watched the film on TCM, it had a slightly better-looking restoration, but the orchestral score almost put me to sleep.  I guess in the case of this one film, I've been spoiled.

"The Visit" started the CD, but this recording of it doesn't actually turn up until the END CREDITS of the film!!  Vocal by Ashley Holt, who sang on Wakeman's "Journey To The Center Of The Earth".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ6lzDEToLc

One of my home care clients a few months ago asked me... "Don't you watch anything NEW?"  He just doesn't get it.  "New" or "recent" DOESN'T equal "better".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 03:33:13 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3055 on: October 31, 2021, 10:06:39 PM »

For the record I'm not opposed to modern scores for silent films. In the 1980s a group calling themselves The Club Foot Orchestra composed a remarkable score for Metropolis which they would perform live at art-house screenings. I wish I'd been able to attend one of their performances. A recording of their score is available on YouTube but to my knowledge it was never attached to a print of the movie. The same people also scored Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr Caligari. Prints with their score are up on YT but I haven't watched them yet. The Club Foot Orchestra played an eclectic mash-up of rock, semi-classical, electronic, and 20s cabaret music.

I haven't seen the Moroder Metropolis but I have heard a lot of the music. The combination of pop vocals and very 80s synth music seems a bit odd. I'd have to see it with the film to form a final opinion.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3056 on: October 31, 2021, 11:56:34 PM »

I find myself fascinated by the character, The Lone Wolf.
Created by Louis Joseph Vance
Louis Joseph Vance was born September 19, 1879, in Washington, D. C., the only child of Wilson J. Vance, a Medal of Honor recipient, and Lillian Beall Vance. He was educated at the Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute. Vance was married to Anne Elizabeth Hodges on February 19, 1898. Their son, Wilson Beall Vance, was born in 1900.[1]

He wrote short stories and verse after 1901, then composed many popular novels. His character Michael Lanyard, known as The Lone Wolf, was featured in eight books and 24 films between 1914 and 1949 and also appeared in radio and television series.   

List of films here
Lone Wolf Movies
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls058139326/

First film made in 1917 and the last in 1949. 24 films. Is that a record for a franchise?
Warren William, who is excellent starred in 9 of those. The earlier ones are thriller/comedy, the last four are concerned with espionage. [WW2]
William also played Philo Vance, Sam Spade and Perry Mason.
I have now seen three of his Lone Wolf films and really like him in the part. 
The movies are generally excellent.
Louis Hayward played Michael Lanyard in the TV series in the 1950's.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047751/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_6
As TV these aren't bad, but they shouldn't have called it 'the lone wolf'. The character becomes a Phillip Marlowe copy, compete with first person voice-over. the Warren William character and Movies are more like Charteris' the Saint. 
One thing I do like is the lone wolf silhouette medallion he uses as a calling card.

No-one seems to care very much about copywriting the name, as there are more modern books and Movies useing the name Lone Wolf which have nothing to do with the character. 

Two items on CB+
Suspense #050 - Murder Goes for a Swim [Radio]
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=47935

Boy's Cinema 0861 - The Lone Wolf Returns Michael Lanyard [Complete movie synopsis?]
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=70377

Going to have to have a closer look at this title to see what else is there.,

And no comic book version as far as I know.

Cheers!     
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 12:17:00 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3057 on: November 01, 2021, 03:01:14 AM »

About 2 years back, when I got the sudden idea to do a chronological science-fiction movie marathon, I started with something I'd wanted to do for years but somehow hadn't.  I watched METROPOLIS back-to-back, 2 weeks in a row.  First I watched the 1984 restoration by Georgio Moroder.  He managed to add back in 15 of the missing minutes, plus a section with still photos supplied by Forry Ackerman, with color tints, some color effects, and a futuristic rock score.  Then I watched the mid-90s restoration, with an ADDITIONAL 30 minutes added back in, with a brand-new recording of the original orchestral score.  BOTH blew me away the first time I saw each of them.

The story makes MUCH, MUCH more sense with that extra 30 minutes.  Missing, I swear, from the shorter version, was the whole MOTIVATION for why Rotwang suddenly decided to double-cross Joh and destroy the city.  Both men loved the same woman, but Joh stole Hel away from Rotwang, married her, had a son by her, and then... she died.  Rotwang created his robot in the image of Hel, but then, just as she was finished, Joh wanted him to use the Robot to duplicate Maria, to control the workers, who seemed on the verge of a revolt.  Instead, Rotwang used the fake Maria to CAUSE a revolt that would destroy the only thing Joh loved-- his city.  Imagine that, missing from the short version.

Oddly enough, there's a line in the short version that's not used in the longer one.  "Father, WHY do we treat the workers so badly?"  And that one line REALLY sums up what the whole movie's really about, and is what make it resonate so much TODAY.

Anyway... after I watched the longer version, I realized that while it worked so much better as a more-complete story, the shorter version has STRONGER emotional impact-- specifcially because of Moroder's music.  So I watched that AGAIN-- before moving on!

And then, when I finally, many months later (one film per week) got to the end of the marathon, I ended it by watching the 2 versions of METROPOLIS-- again, with the Moroder version as the grand finale.

The version of Pat Benatar's "Here's My Heart" iun the movie is NOT on the soundtrack album!  Here, a fan edited together the 3 sections from the movie into a single track.  I put this on my own "special edition" of the soundtrack CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsN4CWA7As

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:03:43 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3058 on: November 01, 2021, 03:11:21 AM »

First film made in 1917 and the last in 1949. 24 films. Is that a record for a franchise?

There were 46 CHARLIE CHAN films (plus at least one Spanish language version of one of those).

I believe there were 65 HOPALONG CASSIDY films.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3059 on: November 01, 2021, 03:19:17 AM »

While it appears THE LONE WOLF preceded and probably influenced both THE SAINT and BOSTON BLACKIE, for whatever reason, Michael Lanyard is more obscure these days.

I was really introduced to THE LONE WOLF about 15 or so years ago, when TCM began running a bunch of them on Saturday mornings, when they got into the habit of running old movie series.

They also ran BOSTON BLACKIE (which for some obscure reason had been OUT of circulation for decade before then!) and CRIME DOCTOR (these I didn't care for much, too dull) and, if memory serves, DR. KILDARE (these I did love).

Maddeningly, TCM started with the Warren William films, and also ran the ones that followed.  But to this day, I have still never seen any of the earlier ones, and I'd love to.  Presumably, some of those were before he (ahem) "reformed".

With my current DVD buying, my hope is that a LOT of what I'm after is available somewhere.

My favorite is still his first, THE LONE WOLF SPY HUNT, where he's teamed with a young Ida Lupino, in what I believe may be her LAST "comedy" film before she started playing serious, morose characters from the wrong side of the tracks.  I REALLY liked her in SPY HUNT.  I thought Lanyard was nuts for trying to push her off.  I'd have let her catch me.  What flipped me out was how much in that film she reminded me of Ellen Foley from decades later.  I'd written a character in my own stories based on her, and at some point decided that if I ever wanted to feature that character's MOTHER, I'd have to base her on Lupino.

I also love the 4 PERRY MASON films Warren William starred in, although they vary so drastically in style and tone it's hard to believe they're all one series.  The first, THE CASE OF THE HOWLING DOG, is unquestionably the best.  This Perry is young, vibrant, will bend or break laws in the name of justice, and, HE chases the girls himself.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:23:14 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3060 on: November 05, 2021, 06:58:13 PM »

Today's movie:

"I hate to tell you, but Kennedy was WHITE."
"They DYED me this color! What better way to hide the truth?"

;D
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3061 on: November 06, 2021, 11:40:26 PM »

Today's movie:

"I hate to tell you, but Kennedy was WHITE."
"They DYED me this color! What better way to hide the truth?"

;D

Bubba Hotep.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3062 on: November 07, 2021, 02:23:25 AM »

Tonight's movie:

"Only THREE people know name of murder weapon.  Honorable detective-- chief of police-- and murderer.  You CONVICT SELF!"

:(
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3063 on: November 11, 2021, 03:57:29 AM »

Today's LOST IN SPACE:

"Our Robot can repair you, he's an excellent mechanic."

"I dislike working on FOREIGN IMPORTS!"
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3064 on: November 16, 2021, 06:13:48 AM »

The wife and I went to the theater for the first time in two years to see Kenneth Branagh's new film, "Belfast". We were not disappointed! A tale of a family living through "The Troubles" in Belfast, 1969. Humor, warmth, and the most amazing black and white cinematography that really set the mood. Add a great cast and a Van Morrison soundtrack. (I think we sort of danced out of the theater!) Indeed, a film to raise one's spirits.
Currently watching the new seasons of "Call the Midwife", "Granchester", and "Baptiste" as well as the just released season two of an old favorite, "Manhunt". We had seen episodes of "Hinterland" before, but were never able to watch them in order. Last month we finally watched all three seasons and saw how everything tied in together- such excellent writing! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3065 on: November 16, 2021, 09:06:57 AM »

So glad you enjoyed Hinterland. Powerful stuff and really well made.
There is a new adaptation of the P.D. James books featuring her detective, Adam Dalgliesh. The first 2 stories, shown in 2 parts over 2 nights, we're very good. Bertie Carvel plays Dalgliesh.  We're both looking forward to the next 2 partner. I read the books way back and the show has put me in the mood to read them again.
We watched for the umpteenth time the 3 Inspector Hornleigh films, Gordon Harker and Alistair Sim. Good mysteries, funny, well acted. It's a pity the copieswe have are in poor nick.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3066 on: November 16, 2021, 07:20:20 PM »

Paw, I totally forgot about Dalgleish! Yes, we've watched and enjoyed the first two stories and are ready to watch the third. Not sure how many more were made for season 1- hope we get a second season! I remember Bertie Carvel from the wonderfully weird "Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell", one of my favorites. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3067 on: November 19, 2021, 09:18:31 PM »

I got my 2nd HAMMER on BLUE-RAY. Was there ever any mystery which it would be?

DRACULA
(Hammer Films  /  UK  /  1958)

This is my 3rd copy of this film. The first was recorded off Philly's Channel 17 (I think), a fuzzy fullscreen picture where I had to cut out the commercial breaks as I went, and (I'll have to check-- in fact, I plan to) there may have been bits CUT for commercial time. (The horror-- THE HORROR!!!)

2 decades later, I taped it again, that time from TCM, so it was crystal-clear, uncut & widescreen.

But now I've just SKIPPED earlier DVDs and regular DVDs and gone straight to the 2018 Warner Archive BLU-RAY.

"Note: This presentation of Horror Of Dracula is based on the British Film Institute restoration of 2007 and additional elements subsequently discovered. As such, it bears its original UK release title of Dracula."

Now here's my question. Does this mean it contains footage from the Japanese print? I'm sure I could figure it out on my own, but as I can't have both my videotape machine and my Blu-Ray player plugged in at the same time, it makes it a bit harder to compare back-to-back. I'm sure there are those far more expert than me with regard to this here.

Having just re-watched the 1931 Bela Lugosi film a couple weeks ago, I suppose there were brief moments where I was mentally comparing that and this. But far more, I was thinking of Mel Brooks' film. Although that's mostly based on the stage play, it's got enough of THIS film in it that I suppose I was having triple images in my head in spots.

Particularly, the scene where they go to Lucy's grave and stake her. I'm trying to remember if that's in the 1931 Spanish version. My impression is it was supposed to be in the Lugosi version, but was either cut after filming or never filmed at all. But here, when Arthur runs into his sister Lucy in the graveyard, all I can think of was Jonathan (Steven Webber) running into Lucy (Lysette Anthony) in the comedy adaptation. Even the scene where Mina comes back from the undertaker's, reminded me of Jonathan seeing Mina in the morning after she's been bitten by Dracula.

I was also reminded (slightly!) of the 1980 "FLASH GORDON". In that, Prince Barin is a hormone-driven idiot who wants to kill Flash, UNTIL he finally sees the light, and decides to join forces. That was vaguely similar to how Arthur (Michael Gough) kept giving Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) non-stop hell until after he read Jonathan's journal, AND, saw Lucy walking around undead. What makes this even more interesting is how the last shot in the 1980 film is of Ming's RING lying on the ground after he's evaporated into thin air. Somehow, tributes to Hammer's "DRACULA" seem like the last thing that should have turned up in a "FLASH GORDON" movie.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:21:14 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3068 on: November 20, 2021, 04:26:54 AM »

DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE
(Paramount  /  US  /  1931  /  97 min.)

Of several DOZEN film adaptations, this is considered by many to be the best and "definitive" one.  This is one deeply-disturbing film.  With amazingly-innovating camera-work and make-up effects, this somehow manages to make FRANKENSTEIN (released only one month before this) seem "normal" by comparison, while it's main villain somehow manages to make Eric The Phantom seem SANE by comparison!  Eric was almost always completely in control; Hyde is a wild, dangerous animal!

A couple of interesting bits from Wikipedia:

?The characters of Muriel Carew and Ivy Pierson do not appear in Stevenson's original story; Ivy Pierson's character is original to the film, while Muriel [Agnes] Carew does appear in the 1887 stage version by playwright Thomas Russell Sullivan.?

Amazing how many of these "classic" film adaptations from this period were based on stage play versions rather than the original books.

?When Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer remade the film 10 years later with Spencer Tracy in the lead, the studio bought the negative and the rights to both the Mamoulian version and the earlier 1920 silent version, paying $1,250,000. Every print of the 1931 film that could be located was recalled and destroyed, and for decades, the film was believed lost.?

^^ Those BASTARDS!!

I apparently taped this off TCM in the 90s, at which point it had been (mostly) restored.  There's a whole long list at the IMDB of scenes CUT for a mid-30s reissue at the insistence of the Production Code, but every one was in the TCM print I recorded, except a brief NUDE scene which is reportedly on the current DVD.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 04:31:16 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3069 on: November 26, 2021, 06:51:13 PM »

Today's movie (which I haven't seen in 30 years):

"Actually, I think a trial period is in order.  Yes.  I'll give you a WEEK.  Then I'll know."

;D
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3070 on: November 27, 2021, 01:43:07 AM »

This sums up my feelings about modern action movies admirably. And I suspect others here have similar reactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ92cggLMx8
Why Modern Movies Suck - They're Written By Children

All that and a disgruntled Scotsman too! What's not to like?

Also, this also sums up my viewpoint.

Honest Trailers | Shang-Chi and the Legend of The Ten Rings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb6mcEdcjXA

Although I don't agree with the critique of the original comic. Which was one of second generation Marvel's best.

Cheers.   

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3071 on: November 27, 2021, 03:44:07 AM »

I saw that video just last week!  The same guy did a sequel. I forget what that one was called.

"2nd generation Marvel" is right.  Many years back, I noticed that MOST comics series are at their best during the first 5-10- years of their existence.  After that, TOO MANY revolving-door creative teams and too many instances of jumping the shark.  So, in the 70s, most of Marvel's best were either brand-new series, or, those that hadn't had a chance to get stale (Don McGregor's run of BLACK PANTHER, for example).

Tons of fabulous fun stuff in the 80s... but, almost nothing really great from the big two.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3072 on: November 27, 2021, 03:47:25 AM »

Never would have occured to me that MARY POPPINS and HALLOWEEN had anything in common. 

One actor:  Arthur Mallet.  Funny thing, he was also in the very 1st episode of THE MONKEES I ever saw on NBC.

In the Disney film, he played Mr. Dawes Jr. (made up to look much older than he was).  Mr. Dawes Sr. was also made up to look much older... but under the amazing make-up job, he was COMPLETELY UNRECOGNIZABLE to look at (but his voice and body language gave him away).

I'm now of the opinion that Julie Andrews was not the "real" star of that story... it was Dick Van Dyke!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3073 on: November 27, 2021, 06:53:24 AM »

I saw that video just last week!  The same guy did a sequel. I forget what that one was called.

He has actually done quite a few more since.

Why Modern Movies Suck - They're Destroying Our Heroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY-GLeHS0Ik

Was Anakin REALLY a Mary Sue?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSj6wEm4zZY

What Happened To Our Villains?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnRP7SKzOgk

The 13th Doctor - A Legacy Of Failure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGWxjHBSn-4

Two things stand out for me.
1/ the ratio of hits to Dislikes.
On Why Modern Movies suck, for instance,
1,479 005 hits, no dislikes. !
2/ Also I like the image and the way he signs off.
'Anyway, that's all I've got for today. Go away now!'

The Channel
The Critical Drinker
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJPFQdZwrOutnmSFYtbstA

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3074 on: December 01, 2021, 04:40:14 AM »

My-- GOD!!!!! I'm so glad I never saw this...

"Jurassic World Fooled Us All"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDN5b9L2hrQ
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.