in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715869 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #3075 on: December 01, 2021, 11:04:12 PM »

Oh, my... NOOOOO!!!

The Predator is Everything Wrong with Movies Today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRTUeGflCM

;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3076 on: December 04, 2021, 03:56:08 AM »

Tonight's movie:

"Man?"
"Woman."
"Age?"
"Oh... 30."
"Profession?"
"YES."
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3077 on: December 06, 2021, 01:32:45 AM »

Searching for the Hammer Sexton Blake movie 'Crime is my business' - which I haven't found, I came across this.
Vernon Wells Brittney Powell in Trouble Is My Business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQleqVsTBNA
Private eye Roland Drake (Tom Konkle) cracks cases and romances femme fatales in 1940?s Los Angeles.
Trouble is my business was the title of a Raymond Chandler short story.
Thing is tho, this was actually made in 2018. Obviously an independent production, but not bad for a Noir.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3078 on: December 06, 2021, 03:40:24 AM »

Can we add that to examples of story titles that are used on stories entirely-unrelated to the books they came from?

3 that immediately come to mind:

BLADE RUNNER (1982)  actually based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" (1968)

A STUDY IN SCARLET (1933)  actually based on "Six Hommes Mort" (1931)

THE SAINT  (1997)  actually based on "The Lone Wolf" (1914)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 03:44:13 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3079 on: December 06, 2021, 09:14:38 AM »

If we are talking titles, Tom Konkle has a winner in the title of his next project, now in pre-production.
Another P.I. Noir. Title?

The Last Days of Rick Pompeii.
Can't wait for that one. 

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3080 on: December 10, 2021, 09:51:00 PM »

Well, today I got my 2nd Christopher Lee film on DVD! But it's probably not what most might expect...

TEMPI DURI PER I VAMPIRI
     (Hard Times For Vampires / 1959)
          alias... "UNCLE WAS A VAMPIRE"

I first saw most of this about 50 or more years ago on TV, and wasn't sure what to make of it. In the decades since, I mostly read derogatory comments about it. But then, 2 years ago, I found it on Youtube... and I ENJOYED the LIVING HELL out of it! And that's all that really matters, isn't it?

Baron Roderico da Frankurten (bottom-billed CHRISTOPHER LEE) departs his castle in haste, intending to visit his only relative, Baron Osvaldo Lambertenghi (Renato Rascel). But what he doesn't know is, like himself, Osvaldo has fallen on hard times, and has been forced to pay massive depts to the government, by SELLING his family castle. His lawyer says he's explained the situation to the new owner, but the creep, who intends to turn the castle into a tourist hotel, decides to belittle Osvaldo by hiring him as... a BELLBOY.

Lee's costume (and horse-drawn hearse at the film's beginning) are suspciously-similar to what we saw the year before in a certain Hammer Film (heh). When we see him, his face has a ghastly green pallor, and his voice, which seems to be projected through some kind of spooky echo chamber, makes the dubbing in "7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES" seem normal by comparison.

In effect, this Italian film is what you kind of get if you cross Hammer's DRACULA (1958) with Jerry Lewis' THE BELLBOY (1960)... although, this was made a year BEFORE the latter!

One reviewer noted that Lee, while acting more serious and more straight than anyone else in the film, actually comes across as the FUNNIEST character in the story!

A great exchange near the end really says it all:

"There is a word you mentioned just now, something absurd, ridiculous, incredible. Am I correct? You're speaking of vampires."

"He's a vampire!"

"Gentlemen, are you joking? If he is a vampire, well then, I am one, too."

NOBODY at either Amazon OR Ebay had a copy of this, so, thank goodness for specialty outfits like SINISTER CINEMA. The version they're selling is a DVD-R, in color, English dubbing, FULLSCREEN... and as far as I can tell, recorded off a US TV broadcast. But if this is currently the ONLY way to see the movie, I don't mind. I'm having a BLAST.

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3081 on: December 11, 2021, 08:35:00 AM »

I seem to remember seeing this film, probably online somewhere years ago. I enjoyed it though Italian comedy takes a bit of effort on the veiwers part.
Christopher Lee actually was a natural comedian, though that part of his character was seldom excercised. You can see it in the look Sauruman gave Wormtongue when preventing him from holding his candle too close to the blasting powder.

I've always heard that actors who played heroes would have preferred to play villians and actors who played villians would prefer to act in comic roles. John Lithgow is a prime example having finally gotten the chance to let his freak flag fly in "3D Rock From the Sun".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:37:31 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3082 on: December 11, 2021, 04:14:20 PM »

According to one review at Amazon, there was a high-quality widescreen DVD available at one time... but they changed the name to "DRACULA IS MY UNCLE", the entire 1st reel of the film was removed and replaced with a video for the "Dracula Cha-Cha-Cha" novelty song.  WTF? Anyway, that's "not currently available".

Someone else was selling a "twofer" of the film coupled with some other film (I forget which), but, the print was in B&W.  How does one produce a B&W DVD of a color movie?

So, anyway, I just spent my $20 and ENJOYED doing it... and, yesterday, someone at the "Hammermaniacs" FB group said they'd heard some outfit is planning to do a "proper" widescreen DVD next year.

;D

Well, if they do, maybe I'll buy it... and then give this one to my best friend as a gift.  Why not?

Let's see... Italian movie yesteday... French movie coming up on Monday... and the NEXT mail order (which I have to put off for an extra week due to spending more on a new office chair than I have for most recent CAR REPAIRS)... will be a horror-comedy from BRAZIL.

Gee, my recent movie buys are getting more and more like those Poe comics!   :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 04:17:55 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3083 on: December 11, 2021, 04:37:33 PM »

Never heard of Tempi duri per I vampiri but I will now go and look for it. 
You might enjoy another Christopher Lee film, Night of The Big Heat, also starring Peter Cushing and Patrick Allen

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0062037/

Based on the book by John Lymington.  It's a favourite of mine. 
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3084 on: December 11, 2021, 11:07:39 PM »

A funny moment earlier this week was when I spent almost an entire hour scrolling thru the entire alphabetical list of the "Horror" section of the "Sinister Cinema" site.

I was looking for a particular movie, and along the way, was slowly compiling a list of other films I might want to get later on.

The surprise was when the film I was looking for came up under "S", not "O".  Why?

It NEVER occured to me to look for the ENGLISH title... instead of the PORTUGUESE one!

O SEGREDO DA MUMIA  /  SECRET OF THE MUMMY
  (1981)

;D
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3085 on: December 12, 2021, 12:48:36 AM »

Is it traditional in Portuguese to alphabetize by the first useful word rather than "the" (or rather, "o")? In that case "O Segreto" would be found under "S."

I mention this mostly as an excuse to gripe about an annoyance of the digital age that I realize I can't change but still bugs me: sorting titles by the first letter of the first word even if that word is "the." Since a huge majority of English book titles begin with "The" when seeking a title in a catalogue you're faced with endless columns of "the's." If the entire catalogue is on a single web page, fine. You just Ctrl-F and search for the second word. But on sites made up of dozens and dozens of separate pages without an in-site search engine, you're stuck with guessing where the pages break. You'll find "The Saint" on one of 50 "T" pages, but which one? Do the "The S's" begin on page 17 or 35 or...?

Like I say, I'll never change it because the computer will sort the way the computer wants to sort. So it's my tough luck.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3086 on: December 12, 2021, 02:54:39 AM »

Is it traditional in Portuguese to alphabetize by the first useful word rather than "the" (or rather, "o")? In that case "O Segreto" would be found under "S."

I mention this mostly as an excuse to gripe about an annoyance of the digital age that I realize I can't change but still bugs me: sorting titles by the first letter of the first word even if that word is "the." Since a huge majority of English book titles begin with "The" when seeking a title in a catalogue you're faced with endless columns of "the's." If the entire catalogue is on a single web page, fine. You just Ctrl-F and search for the second word. But on sites made up of dozens and dozens of separate pages without an in-site search engine, you're stuck with guessing where the pages break. You'll find "The Saint" on one of 50 "T" pages, but which one? Do the "The S's" begin on page 17 or 35 or...?

I've noticed a irritating habit of many film reveiwers and others to whom English is a second or third language at best to use the word "The" in a clumsy or entirely inappropriate manner.
Perhaps it due to some translation error or their mother tongue requiring the use of a modifier in that way.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3087 on: December 12, 2021, 04:35:33 AM »

Never heard of Tempi duri per I vampiri but I will now go and look for it. 
You might enjoy another Christopher Lee film, Night of The Big Heat, also starring Peter Cushing and Patrick Allen

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0062037/

Based on the book by John Lymington.  It's a favourite of mine.

Great little film taking place mostly in a pub.
Reminds me of "the Earth Dies Screaming".
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #3088 on: December 12, 2021, 04:42:54 AM »

I am referring to sites created by and for English speakers. It's a bibliographic matter, not a linguistic one.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3089 on: December 12, 2021, 08:57:10 AM »

Captain, that hadn't occurred to me, but you're right.  Earth Dies Screaming is most enjoyable. Thanks for reminding me.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3090 on: December 12, 2021, 06:26:30 PM »

I've gotten into the habit of digging out my pathetic old self-recorded VHS copies of films I've recently upgraded to DVD, just to watch them ONE last time and compare the quality. This morning, I dug out my early-80s recording of "HORROR OF DRACULA", which, it turns out, was taped off the long-gone Philly channel 48. For 15-20 years, they were notorious as treating shows & films with the most DIS-respect, and that was certainly the case here.

Naturally, the film was cropped ("fullscreen"). But that's only for starters. The print they ran, the colors were faded, and the whole thing went mostly "blue" or "purple"-ish. But it got worse. I had written on the tape "approx 1:15". That proved to be optimistic. I had my STOPWATCH going as I watched the film. It came out to exactly 1:06:39. ONE HOUR 6-1/2 minutes. There was 15-1/2 minutes CUT from the film. HOW THE F*** was it supposed to make any sense???

I suspect that I've probably watched the TCM copy (recorded about 15 years back) far more times than I ever dug out the channel 48 version. The main reason I held onto the earlier tape, was because I also had a local channel copy of "THE BRIDES OF DRACULA" on the 2nd half of the same tape, and I never managed to get that one off TCM. So when I go after THAT on Blu-Ray, it'll be a MASSIVE upgrade. I like doing those-- it always makes me feel I'm making the best use of my money.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3091 on: December 12, 2021, 06:28:47 PM »

Among the bits I noticed were missing:

1 - the 1st of 3 times Harker slammed the hammer down into the vampire woman. You see her react, but the movement of the hammer and the sound of it striking was missing.

2 - When Van Helsing stakes Harker, it immediately cuts to the middle of the conversation between him and Arthur Holmwood.

3 - After Dracula visits Lucy, the very next scene is the policeman bringing Tania home, where she tells of having seen "Aunt Lucy". The whole sequence of Van Helsing trying to keep Lucy alive was MISSING.

4 - After Van Helsing stakes Lucy, it CUTS to the middle of the conversation with the border guard, so the delightful bit where Arthur waves money in the guy's face to bribe him is missing.

5 - Mina turns up at the undertaker's, the scene where the boy delivers her the message to go there is missing.

I think from the moment they find Mina has been attacked the first time, to the end, the rest is intact. Except, the last 5 minutes, there's a dark bar at the top of the picture that wasn't there before. I suspect somebody moved the TV camera that was aimed at the screen the bad film print was being projected on. What a huge difference it made when local stations actually began running VIDEOTAPES of movies instead of actual film prints, HMM?

But I think you can see why, back in the mid-80s, I was actually GLAD when I heard the news that 48 was GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. Good riddance.

They used to regularly cut a FULL 5 MINUTES from every episode of "STAR TREK"-- usually in a solid chunk. No subtle editing for those idiots. It was like they'd go to a commercial break and leave the film running the whole time.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3092 on: December 12, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »

Captain, that hadn't occurred to me, but you're right.  Earth Dies Screaming is most enjoyable. Thanks for reminding me.
The Big Heat was very informative. Apparently airconditioners in pubs were unheard of in the 60's and once the temperature gets near 100 F practically everyone in the UK becomes a half wit sex maniac.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3093 on: December 13, 2021, 12:01:52 AM »

Night of The Big Heat was based on a book credited to John Lymington, actually John Newton Chance.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lymington

Brian Stableford suggested in the Historical Dictionary of Science Fiction Literature (pp. 208) that the name Lymington was chosen 'in a blatant attempt to cash in' on John Wyndham's popularity.   

This is more than likely, as the books he wrote as Lymington were very similar to Wyndham's work. I read a few of them. B grade but not bad.
He also wrote thrillers and Sexton Blake novels under the name, John Drummond.

Night of the Big Heat was adapted twice. The first, a 1960 TV version set on Salisbury Plain, was directed by Cyril Coke and adapted from the book by Giles Cooper.[1] The second was a 94-minute feature film set on a remote island off the English coast; made by Planet Films, it was directed by Terence Fisher and starred Patrick Allen, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

Oh, and I can tell you, from an Australian perspective, that when the general outside temperature is 100 degrees or more, Air conditioners labor and break down, because they can't get cool air to continue to function. Been there, done that.
Many other nasty things happen too, of course. Car engines break down and don't function, for instance.   

Night of the Big Heat | Full Movie | Flick Vault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkcNt7JTqGo

Cheers!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 11:20:26 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3094 on: December 13, 2021, 03:06:23 AM »

I think most people take too many things for granted.

Myself, I've long considered AIR CONDITIONING as a wonder and miracle of science and technology.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3095 on: December 13, 2021, 09:41:21 AM »

Captain, your description of what happens seems to fit our Prime Minister - apart from the temperature. All those weans, and we still don't know how many.
Panther, I'm a fan of Lymingtons' books  but I didn't know about the tv version of Night of The Big Heat.
Why he isn't rated a bit better or isn't more popular has always surprised me.  He does atmosphere, and heat, very well.
Other British sf films that might interest some of you are Devil Girl From Mars; X The Unknown; Island of Terror ( Peter Cushing and Edward Judd - another isolated location); They Came From Beyond Space; The Body Stealers (Patrick Allen); Invasion (Edward Judd - heat again and an isolated location).
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3096 on: December 15, 2021, 09:19:38 PM »

Today on LOST IN SPACE:

"And let me tell you, our association has not been pleasant."
"Mutual!"
"What did you say?"
"I said do not be so certain you won't be seeing us again before long."

THAT'S NOT what he said!    ;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3097 on: December 18, 2021, 12:06:57 AM »

WHITE ZOMBIE
(Victor & Edward Halperin Productions  /  US  /  1932)

HOLY S***!!!

It's not everyday you find some really low-budget ($50,000) independant production that looks and feels more lavish, classier and more exciting than one of Universal's early-30s horror classics.  THIS is it!

A lot of films from the early-30s really look and feel totally strange and alien to modern audiences and styles, and this is no exception.  Parts of it really feel like I'm watching a silent film.

A Haitian land-owner hopelessly in love with an engaged woman invited her and her fiancee to get married at his plantation, with a job offer for the latter to become his New York "agent".  But he's really desperate to convince her to change her mind and run off with him instead.  When this fails, he reluctantly turns to a neighbor for help, who promises he can deliver... "for a price".  During the reception, the woman suddenly falls ill-- and dies in her husband's arms.  But... DID she?

According to longtime resident missionary Dr. Bruner, there is a very big difference between native "superstitions" and native "practices"-- and Haitian law books actually has VOODOO and ZOMBIES on their law books.  According to Bruner, drugging someone to simulate death is legally considered "attempted murder", and actually burying someone in this condition is considered "murder", regarless of the outcome of the situation.

Thus, this film's wimpy romantic leading man Neil follows Bruner to visit "the house of death", built into a huge, rocky cliffsite, to see what's really going on, and if possible, to rescue his beloved Madeline, who may not be dead after all.

In the wake of DRACULA (1931), Hungarian immigrant Bela Lugosi had trouble finding films that lived up to that one's standards, but he struck gold here-- creatively, if not financially.  Allegedly one of his favorite of his many films, Lugosi was also frustrated that he wasn't paid enough for a film that became such a surprise hit at the box office.

The sets and location work (and at least one shot I believe was a matte painting) totally blow DRACULA out of the water, and the film has a marvelous music score from start to finish, consisting of various pieces of classical music.  But while DRACULA had the likes of Dwight Frye & Edward Van Sloan backing Lugosi up, the closest we have here is John Cawthorne as Dr. Bruner.  He reminds me a bit of Ralph Richardson, but with a totally-different accent.  Crazy enough, I checked the resumes of several of the main cast members, and while some of them had quite extensive careers, I've hardly seen any of them in ANYTHING else.

Madge Bellamy, as Madeline (shades of "House of Usher") was in CHARLIE CHAN IN LONDON.

Despite being reissued in the early 1950s, somehow by the 1960s the film was considered "lost", but then upon rediscovery it was generally only available via really shoddy prints.  If I get this right, Sinister Cinema had a decent 35 mm print, which was used to do a proper restoration by Holland Releasing.  There are moments where the picture quality jumps from really sharp to really fuzzy, but I put that down to different source material being used.  I only wish the sound clean-up was as good as the picture.

Kino Lorber decided to put out 2 versions on their Blu-Ray-- the restoration, and the "raw" version, which while rough-looking, manages to have FAR-more visual detail! The disc also comes with an audio commentary track, and, most remarkably, a 1932 interview with Lugosi, where he talks about his career in Hungary, his pride at becoming a US citizen and learning American slang, his love for doing sulpture, and how he shies away from "Hollywood parties".  He also apparently has a joke at the expense of the interviewer, which had me nearly falling out of my seat from laughing. It really made me wish I could have met him in person back then.  What a character!

The "dead" at their work.

Unlucky wedding...

1932's version of "The Master".

He took his enemies-- and turned them into his mindless slaves!

It's like "THE PREMATURE BURIAL" here...

This reminds me of the opening scene from Corman's "PIT AND THE PENDULUM"

This just about puts Castle Dracula to shame!

Lugosi gets to exhibit far more depth of character and just plain EVIL than he did as Dracula!

Madeline in a trance.

I got the feeling a similar scene in "DRACULA A.D. 1972" was inspired by this!

I find myself wondering-- was this a set, partly a matte painting, or an actual location shot? Because I'd SWEAR this exact same stairway later appeared in "THE DUNWICH HORROR" (1970).

"Have you got a match?"  (The film's HERO, Joseph Cawthorn as Dr. Bruner.)

Here's a FABULOUS review of the film on the "And You Call Yourself A Scientist?" site.

andyoucallyourselfascientist.com/2016/05/01/white-zombie-1932/
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #3098 on: December 18, 2021, 12:13:58 AM »

The "Zombie Grip" looks and sounds like something you'd see advertised in a comic book alongside Yubiwaza.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3099 on: December 18, 2021, 05:03:44 AM »

The "Zombie Grip" looks and sounds like something you'd see advertised in a comic book alongside Yubiwaza.

HAHAHAHAH!!!!

The film is so "SILENT FILM" in style-- DELIBERATELY so, it seems-- that recurring hand gesture reminded me of "Eric" from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Lon Chaney).

Make sure you check out the "And You Call Yourself A Scientist?" review.  It may be the single longest movie review I've ever seen online. It delves into so many things, especially the character motivations and interactions.  i got the feeling the reviewer put as much thought into it as the ones who wrote the movie-- maybe more!
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.