in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #240 2 choices

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #240 2 choices  (Read 3442 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #240 2 choices
« on: March 08, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »

New Books today! This will be the first time for a while that I will choose something myself, for a while I have been facilitating other people's choices. and that's been enjoyable.
The last choice 'Dizzy Don' was published by F.E. Howard, and there are only two books by that publisher on CB+, so I decided to nominate the other one, which is very different and very interesting in its own right.
So here is 'Super Duper Comics 3'
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=4438

Having posted links to a Bio of Worth Carnahan I was reminded of
New Fun 01
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=68845
This is what the article on Carnahan has to say about New Fun,
'In 1934 pulp writer Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson founded National Allied Publications. In February of the following year, the company published New Fun. This was the first comic book to publish all new material ? as opposed to running reprints of old newspaper strips.
Later in 1935 a second title was released, New Comics. The size and length of New Comics #1 became the standard for comics in what is now referred to as the ?Golden Age? and it became the longest running comic series of all time.

In the beginning (despite strong sales) Wheeler-Nicholson struggled and needed cash. He went to Denenfeld, who, along with pulp distributer Jack Liebowitz, provided an influx of capital in exchange for a partnership in the fledgling business. In 1937 Wheeler-Nicholson, Denenfeld and Liebowitz founded Detective Comics, a subsidiary of National Allied Publications.

These books, I think, are relevant to some of the issues that are being discussed in the threads.
When this article talks about, '  it became the longest running comic series of all time.' he may actually be referring to 'Detective Comics'
So here we have 'The first comic book to publish all new material' - so tell us what you think.
We often get asked what you can do with PD material and characters.
Super Duper comics #3 was the first appearance [and one of the few in the Golden Age] of Mr Monster. 
What Michael T Gilbert has since done with the character can be an inspiration to others, I believe.
I have a feeling that Nelvana of the Northern Lights has had a second life too.
Lets hear from you!

Cheers!

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #240 2 choices
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 09:16:47 AM »

The last choice 'Dizzy Don' was published by F.E. Howard, and there are only two books by that publisher on CB+, so I decided to nominate the other one, which is very different and very interesting in its own right.
Super Duper comics #3 was the first appearance [and one of the few in the Golden Age] of Mr. Monster. 
What Michael T. Gilbert has since done with the character can be an inspiration to others, I believe.
I have a feeling that "Nelvana of the Northern Lights" has had a second life too.

F. E. Howard Publishing (of Toronto, Ont.) illegally issued reprints of US-produced comic books in Canada during World War II; and after The War, published legally issued colour reprints of Canadian Whites from Bell Features, and colour reprints of US comics.  In late 1946, after Bell Features decided they couldn't compete with US titles using their own Canadian production, selling in Canada, USA, and The UK, decided to switch to importing US product and distribute it in Canada, and give up their own production.  So, they sold their yet unused artwork, and rights to reprint some of their earlier production that had been issued to F.E. Howard.

In addition to the solitary (one off) issue of Super Duper Comics(1947)(a mixture of Canadian and legal US production), and 2 legal post-war issues of "Dizzy Don Comics" (reprinting stories from 2 Bell Features' wartime issues of "The Funny Comics(featuring Dizzy Don)", Howard issued 6 issues of "Super Comics" (illegally reprinting US published stories from different MLJ series) during 1942-1945, and a one-off issue of "Captain Commando" (1944) (also illegal MLJ material), and 3 legal issues of "New Joke Comics"(1946-47), numbers 27-29, following after Bell Features' 26 Wartime issues of "Joke Comics", and a one-off issue of "Carousel Comics" (1948)(a legal US import, seemingly drawn by Al Fago and one of the New York studios), and one issue of New Triumph Comics 27(1946), after 26 Hillsborough and Bell Features issues of Triumph Comics.

Here are some covers of Howard's different titles:

So, altogether, I know of 15 comic books that F. E. Howard sold and distributed in Canada, USA, and The UK between 1942-48, only 2 of which we have here at CB+.  I have scans of all the covers, plus partial books of most of the other 13 books, but not really enough of more than a couple to upload them here.  I'll have to to check to see if they are PD, as I read that The Bell Features material might be copyrighted by The National Archives of Canada.  I admit that that sounds strange.  But I'd have to look into it.  But, as far as I can tell, the only copies of ANY WWII Era Canadian comic book production that I've seen here on CB+ or on DCM are books that were produced by Canadian publishers to market to USA or The UK.  I haven't seen one Canadian book from that era issued especially for the Canadian market on these PD websites.  There must be a reason for that.

I also know of 10-15 other books that are Canadian reprint issues of US mid-to-late 1940s funny animal comics imported by Canadian publishers for printing and distribution in Canada, some of which may have been issued by F.E. Howard, but maybe by Bell Features, or even possibly by Maple Leaf Publishing, or Anglo-American.  I'm just not sure about those series' ownership.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:18:58 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »

Robb, Well done!
I like the Pelican Gag. I note the price - is also in English. [England 6p] Does this mean the Canadian comic was distributed and sold in the UK? 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 11:02:40 AM »

Robb, Well done!
I like the Pelican Gag. I note the price - is also in English. [England 6p] Does this mean the Canadian comic was distributed and sold in the UK?

Yes.  After World War II ended, one year passed, with the Canadian publishers having to compete with the flood of US publishers' comic books being imported into Canada again, once the wartime restrictions on paper use and energy for transportation were lifted.  The Canadian publishers found they couldn't compete, having such a small market.  So, desperate to stay in business, they attempted to add USA and The UK to their market.  Even that failed.  By the end of 1946, or early 1947, even Bell Features, Maple Leaf Publishing, and Anglo-American (Canada's Big 3) were forced to stop local production, and stay in business by importing US comic books, and distributing them across Canada.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:17:32 AM »

As you would imagine, the same thing happened in Australia and New Zealand.
ip icon Logged

Adamanto

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 02:52:53 PM »

First post, let's make it a good one:

New Fun #1

Jack Woods: Not sure what to think of this one, really. Not all that much really happens, but it presents a reasonably intriguing mystery and a decent enough cliffhanger that makes me interested in learning what's going on and seeing what happens next. Something about both the art and framing reminds me a lot of vintage Tex Willer. Not a bad start at all.

Sandra of the Secret Service: Man, this one's clunky to the point of being hard to follow, and would've really benefited from some explanatory narration boxes providing a bit of context to what's going on. You'd think a strip called "Sandra of the secret service" would star a secret service agent named Sandra, but no - the Sandra in the strip is just a normal upper class society woman. Random people just kinda come and go and it's hard to get a real handle of what's going on - random guy hijacks Sandra's car to escape some other random guy and then a third random guy shows up at Sandra's house followed by a fourth random guy entering with a gun - making it hard to care about the cliffhanger. Art is a bit too busy too, I didn't even see the top hat guy's gun at first.

Oswald the Rabbit: Weird layout. Each of the six strips ends with a slapsticky fall, but they're not really punchlines and clearly aren't meant to be taken as such - the actual punchline comes at the very end. It's not really that funny though. Shame, because the art is nice and dynamic, so it's clear a lot of care went into this. What I'm really curious about is why National went to the trouble of licensing the character for this, it's not like this strip is advertised anywhere, and the license can't have been that cheap.

Jigger and Ginger: Amusing enough sitcom strip, no worse than a lot of contemporary newspaper ones. Definitely the best of the humor strips in the book.

What's a "moom pitcher"?

Barry O'Neill: This one does right all the things Sandra did wrong. Proper setup that explains what's going on, introduces the characters, provides a real sense of danger and gives us an actually exciting cliffhanger. And unlike both Jack Woods and Sandra, it feels like things are actually happening in this one. I love the art, it's very stylistic and has this franco-belgian look to it, with some of the characters reminding me of Herge and Morris.

The Magic Crystal of History: Speaking of things happening, we're definitely NOT getting that here. This is all setup. I'll admit I'm interested in seeing what going to happen next, but did they really have to waste that many panels on so little instead of getting the plot moving? Also I can't stand the way Bobby looks. Talk about dork.

Wing Brady: Intriguing setup. Much like with Jack Woods, I want to see what's happening next, but at the same time I'm a bit miffed the strip ends just as it's starting to go somewhere. And UNLIKE Jack Woods, it doesn't really provide any suspense beyond "our heroes are in trouble, how will they get out of this?". Passable enough, but not great.

Ivanhoe: Oh boy. I've never read the novel, but I know it has a solid reputation as an exciting adventure that got a lot of young boys interested in reading. This dull-as-dishwater adaptation is NOT how you get anyone interested in checking out the book. Or the next installment, for that matter. We're introduced to a bunch of named characters, but they spend the full strip doing nothing but searching for and eventually finding the guy they wanted to see for unexplained reasons while being misled by some subjects who dislike them for equally unexplained reasons, and apparently someone's been mean to dogs? Or one dog, the script can't make up its mind. This is impossible to care about. I like how the "next time" blurb namedrops a "Bois-Guilbert" as if we're supposed to have been introduced to him, not even the author can be bothered to keep track of which details of the novel he's actually including in his dry summary-esque script.

Judge Perkins: Sloppy art and unfunny excuse for a "punchline". This barely even forms a coherent narrative, I can't for the life of me understand what those first panels have to do with the ones leading up to the supposed punchline. Am I missing something?
EDIT: Yes I am, a peek at issue #2 reveals that what I called a very poor punchline was actually an unmarked (and also very poor) cliffhanger, meaning this is supposed to form a humorous multipart narrative rather than a single page gag. It's still unfunny and rather disconnected, but knowing that this page isn't meant to be taken on its own salvages it slightly.

Don Drake: Wow, this one wastes no time getting to the action. While it's not hard to follow what's happening, the action doesn't flow well and could've benefitted from a slightly slower pace, and the first panel really should've been preceeded by one establishing the setting properly. I like the crazy "no time for the current danger to even settle, here's a different one" plot though, and the designs are cool. Kinda like this one despite its shortcomings.

Loco Luke: This one's weird. It's vaguely comical but not really funny, and plays itself fairly straight aside from the pretty lame gag in the middle. The cliffhanger isn't really a cliffhanger either. This one just falls completely flat for me.

Spook Ranch: This one's solid. The suspense is really well done - you KNOW there's something keeping an eye on Vic, even the illustration tells you that, and the constant false alarms really keeps the reader on the edge. Then eventually, the danger shifts from Vic trying to avoid an invisible killer to Vic being in danger of being accused of a murder he didn't commit. Well written and definitely made me want to read part 2. These old text stories could be pretty good at times.

Scrub Hardy: I like the art, but the gag isn't much to speak of and as much as they're making it clear what happens is an accident, it mostly reads as if everyone's just bullying Scrub for the hell of it. Too many named characters here too, feels like a poor fit for the first strip in a series. Not awful, but not all that good either.

Jack Andrews: Actually kind of intriguing and got my interest with the reveal at the end. Andrews' manuever at the end of the game was pretty cool too. Panel 5 and 6 could've worked better had we actually SEEN the action described in 5, but they clearly needed the space provided for the rest of the panels, so it's acceptable enough. Liked this a lot more than I thought I would, first sports comic from this era I've can remember reading and enjoying.

Bathysphere: Kinda liked this little time capsule infodump, though it could've definitely been a bit longer and more detailed. I can see kids reading it at the time struggling to understand what it's talking about if they hadn't already heard of this stuff.
Sports: Poorly written but actually quite educational article about the history of hockey. Learned quite a bit. Not bad.
On the Radio: Quickie namedrops and recommendations of a couple popular radio serials of the time. Feels a bit empty - I imagine everyone reading this had heard of Buck Rogers, and Bobby Benson isn't described in any detail beyond "it's a western". That Thrills of Tomorrow thing sounds interesting though, wonder if there's recordings anywhere.
In the Movies: I had no idea the Jack Woods strip was based on a movie serial. I want to check that out now. Sequoia and Life of a Bengal Lancer actually sound mildly intriguing too, I like classic adventure movies. And I have to laugh at how they once again promote a western without being able to say anything more than "it's a western".
Model Aircraft: This looks pretty sloppily written to me, I can't imagine this model looking all that good. Instructions seem incomplete too, with no real mention of how to do the tail and zero mention of the wheels. They say they'll provide instructions for one new model every issue, but I can't imagine this kind of super basic modeling being able to provide all that many variants of planes. It's also practically a (poor) ad for that magazine they're shilling in the ad, I sure hope that magazine has higher quality content than this.
Aviation: VERY cool historical article about Wiley Post, who was still alive at the time, with the writer talking about a future that's been reality for quite some time. This is great. it's amazing how far we've come since this was written.
Ship Models: This one's even worse than the model aircraft. Plans aren't even provided for all the parts, several parts aren't properly numbered, and the instructions forgot to mention part 6 (I assume "1-5" was meant to say "1-6"). And I can't figure out the sail stuff at all. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't imagine anyone making a decent looking model from this mess.

Cap'n Erik: This one hides way too much from the reader to really work. What are these guys after, seals? Why? And who ARE they? Gotta love how Erik reminds that other guy of what he already knows just so Butch can overhear him too. This one just fails to grab my attention. No fan of the art either, you can't tell any of these guys apart aside from their jackets.

Buckskin Jim: This is basically the same plot as Wing Brady, except in a western setting. And why the hell is Jim staying behind with the old guy instead of warning the wagon train that needs warning? That's just risking throwing your life away for nothing. Can't really work up too much excitement for this one, there's nothing happening here that's not utterly pedestrian. Art's not very good either. Blah.

Popular Science: Fascinating article about audio modulated light (which made me interested enough to look that stuff up for more info) and the earliest beginnings of solar cell technology. Plus a poorly explained magic trick for some reason. Not sure why that's in there, but the other stuff was fun.
Stamps and Coins: Incredibly uninteresting article that tries to get kids interested in collecting these things by mentioning two random commemorative stamps and telling kids they should start by "just collecting everything they can find" and "get foreign friends and relatives to write you". This is comically lame. At least the coin part of the article mentions the trivia point of why coins have ridges, which is interesting enough.
Young Homemakers: Article about the importance of a well arranged kitchen (that mostly just says "utensils should be located close to where they're used" a bunch of times) and the proper height of working surfaces, seemingly implying that the young readers of this comic should start rearranging their moms' kitchens. It's not that the info here isn't sensible, but it feels like something you should be telling adults, not children. Bizarre article.

After School: This one's charming. Not sure I'd classify it as comedy, there's no real gags here, but it has a kind of amusing tone throughout the entire thing that makes me want to see more of these guys. There's not much to the cliffhanger though, it's more of a "next issue" blurb, but that works too.

Caveman Capers: This isn't funny, it's not exciting and it's not particularly charming either. "Cave boy discovers fire and then a random dinosaur attacks, to be continued"? Meh. That "Wur" girl they bother mentioning in the opening blurb sure doesn't do anything to justify her existence either. Art's fine, but this is not very good.

Fun Films: I honestly don't really get how this is supposed to work. If you were to flip between these pictures at the right pace at the right time you'd sort of get the sense of motion they're going for, but you can't really get that by just pulling it sideways through that hole. Pulling fast won't get the pictures aligned right and pulling slow will kill the sense of motion. I don't think they thought this one through too well. And I know this thing isn't trying to be plot focused, but this Tad kid is suicidally dumb for sneaking onto a pirate ship like that.

Bubby and Beevil: Why is the guy named Bubby here and "Fun" in the editorial? The general concept of a little goblin guy sneaking around doing good deeds in secret while an evil goblin guy tries to undo said good deeds is fine, but this is way too pedestrian to be of any interest and has to be the most uninteresting cliffhanger yet.

Pelion and Ossa: I don't even know what to say about this. Two funny animals crash their sled and enter a nearby house, and then somebody is coming, to be continued? This is the biggest piece of nothing in the entire book. The most interesting part of it is that they're vaguely hinting that "someone" is Santa, but I know that's not actually who it is, so that just hurts this thing even more.

Super-Police: Here's another strip that's just hurt too much by the fact that it ends before it can go anywhere. Most of the page is spent on Joan's dumb risky gamble getting on the plane, which doesn't really make her very endearing, with not enough time spent to make us care about those mysterious sinking ships the cliffhanger tries to make us worry about. At least the art is solid.

The editorial wants my top 8 list of favorite comics, so here goes:
1) Barry O'Neill
2) Jack Woods
3) Jigger and Ginger
4) Jack Andrews
5) After School
6) Don Drake
7) Wing Brady
8) Magic Crystal

There's some decent strips in here that catch my attention, but man does the magazine suffer from only giving you one single page that barely manages to establish the strip's concept before it ends. I know this is how sunday newspaper strips worked, but those are EXTRAS in papers that you're primarily buying for the articles, they can afford to take a couple weeks to get the reader's attention. This book is (mostly) just comics, the comics need to immediately stand on their own from day 1. And the editorial may promise the magazine will become weekly if it performs well enough, but for the time being it's supposed to be monthly (it actually went several months between most issues); just one page of each of these strips a month feels way too little.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:36:32 PM by Adamanto »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 03:22:35 PM »

"Moom pitcher" = Humorous mispronunciation of "moving picture."
ip icon Logged

Adamanto

message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 03:25:34 PM »

"Moom pitcher" = Humorous mispronunciation of "moving picture."

Aah! I knew "pitcher", but I was thinking "moom" was some weird mipronunciation of a movie genre.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 04:55:21 PM »

OK, now I'm confused.  Adamanto has reviewed the stories in New Fun#1.  Amazing considering our copy only has 14 pages.  Am I missing something here? Yes, I know, at my age I get easily confused.
That UK price is 6d and is in pre decimal British currency.  We used to have pounds, shillings, pence - LSD.  After decimalisation in 1971, the currency became pounds and pence.  Easier to work out as LSD had 12 pennies in a shilling; 20 shillings in a pound; 21 shillings in a guinea.
Re American comics flooding the market, to an extent that's what happened in the UK. Prior to 1959, there weren't many American comics to be found here unless you lived near an American base, or a relative in the States sent them over.  There were a lot of small publishers pushing out comics that sort of looked like American comics with superheroes.  Usually colour covers with b&w or 2 colour interiors. We have a selection on CB+.  These simply didn't stand up against the bright colourful American titles that could be found in most newsagent shops. Our traditional weeklies were still very popular and ran on, some of them for decades.
ip icon Logged

Adamanto

message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 05:29:36 PM »

OK, now I'm confused.  Adamanto has reviewed the stories in New Fun#1.  Amazing considering our copy only has 14 pages.  Am I missing something here?

DC released a Famous First Edition reprint of the book last year.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 05:38:36 PM »

Hi Adamanto.  Thanks for that.  I didn't know, not being very up to date with new releases.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 12:51:19 AM »

Adamanto Well done!
nice to see a new face here. And great analysis!

Cheers, 
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 07:13:24 AM »

Super Duper Comics #3

Mr. Monster: Okay. I was amused by Mr. Monster's way of stopping the monster (Batman, he ain't  ;) ) Despite the note this is not the first appearance of Mr. Monster, that was Triumph Comics #31, although the character's civilian identity had been appearing as Doc Stearne in Wow Comics (Bell Features) before that.

Cinder Smith: Cinder really doesn't do much in this story. He doesn't try to stop Hogan's thugary, he tries to talk the hobo out of revenge. Not much of a hero at all in this story.

Out Of The Woods: Cute

The Scientist Of Lightning Peak: Okay.

Tang: Okay for what it is. (Not a big fan of western comics.)

Java Bean: Well... if you can ignore the stereotypes it's kind of amusing. Shame this was the inventory story they had from Hy Moyer. An Izzy Brite story would have been funnier.

Jeff Waring: Kind of average for a Jeff Waring story. Except for one panel where Kay's lower half disappears behind the invisible seats Jeff and the pilot are sitting in, the art was good.

Nelvana: Starts off with a big flashback and wraps up like a series finale. Kind of a disappointing last story for her.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:19:02 AM by SuperScrounge »
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »

Both of these look interesting, and I notice one of the covers Robb posted has what looks like a prototype of Captain Britain, so it looks like I'll be perusing three comics this coming weekend!
ip icon Logged

Adamanto

message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 05:20:48 PM »

Adamanto Well done!
nice to see a new face here. And great analysis!

Cheers,

Thanks :) Been coming here for quite a while, just never got around to registering before now.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 06:34:13 PM »

New Fun 01
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=68845
This is what the article on Carnahan has to say about New Fun,
'In 1934 pulp writer Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson founded National Allied Publications. In February of the following year, the company published New Fun. This was the first comic book to publish all new material ? as opposed to running reprints of old newspaper strips.

So here we have 'The first comic book to publish all new material' - so tell us what you think.

Given that we are not allowed to post whole book, non-PD material on this website; and it would be in our best interest to NOT post a link to New Fun Comics #1 for a similar reason; why not choose New Fun #2 to review, given that we have all 36 pages of that book to review, rather than the pittance of 14 pages (many of which are NOT comics), which form only about 1/3 of New Fun #1?  Several of us (including myself) probably don't have access to the full book of New Fun #1 as, apparently, Adamanto does.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:37:42 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 08:31:48 PM »

Super Duper Comics #3
Mr. Monster: Okay. I was amused by Mr. Monster's way of stopping the monster (Batman, he ain't  ;) ) Despite the note this is not the first appearance of Mr. Monster, that was Triumph Comics #31, although the character's civilian identity had been appearing as Doc Stearne in Wow Comics (Bell Features) before that.

Java Bean: Well... if you can ignore the stereotypes it's kind of amusing. Shame this was the inventory story they had from Hy Moyer. An Izzy Brite story would have been funnier.

Jeff Waring: Kind of average for a Jeff Waring story. Except for one panel where Kay's lower half disappears behind the invisible seats Jeff and the pilot are sitting in, the art was good.

Nelvana: Starts off with a big flashback and wraps up like a series finale. Kind of a disappointing last story for her.

You seem to have a reasonable knowledge of The Canadian Whites for an American, given that they were, and are, so rare in relation to the US print runs and sales, and how much the prices of those rare books have been bid up to astronomical levels by nostalgic Canadians.  Or are you a Canadian?

Regarding the partly racist-based feature, "Java Bean", I agree that its racist elements make it a bit hard to abide for most of today's potential readers.  And it must be surprising to non-Canadians who have the current Worldwide impression of Canada as a more "politically correct" and has, since slavery was abolished in The British Empire, in the early 1800s, been somewhat less racist than USA, to see such a character featured in a Canadian magazine as late as 1947.  But, at least the negative reaction from the flagrant racist elements can be partly toned down because Java is a hero in the story, using his intelligence, and quick mind to defeat the greedy, prejudiced, racist landlord, and the story is funny (and NOT due to its racist digs, but rather based on non-racist, normal storytelling elements and natural humour).

However, I do agree than an Izzy Brite story would have also worked.  But, I must admit that, as a youngster, I enjoyed Java Bean more (and having grown up with Auschwitz-Birkenau survivers living in my house from 1946-60, I don't think I ever could have been described as racist).  At the same time, Vancouver's publisher, Maple Leaf Publishing's "Bing Bang Comics" had their own "Pickaninny" comedic character, Li'l Moe.

Both Java Bean and Li'l Moe were modeled after Walter Lantz's animation and later comic book character, Li'l Eight Ball, who debuted in Western Publishing's "The Funnies #64" in May 1942.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:03:44 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 09:31:41 PM »

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=4438

New Fun 01
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=6884

I will review "Super Duper Comics 3" now, but leave "New Fun Comics 1" to those who have access to that whole book, and I hope to review "New Fun 2", if I get the time.

Super Duper Comics 3

Mr. Monster
This is a weird story presentation, with no real background to Dr. Stearne nor the monster, some of which was presented in previous Bell Features issues of Triumph and Wow Comics.  ALL of my editors over the last 40 years have stressed that EVERY story HAS to be able to stand on its own for new readers (and so, not depend upon all readers having read earlier stories which showed and developed their characters and settings.  So, we aren't sure if Mr. Monster has any super powers (it appeared that he may have flown, or have super speed); and we don't have any idea of what the monster is, how he was created, whether he is a living being, animal, undead, or whatever. As I've stated so many times, this story suffers from a shortage of pages to match the natural scope of the story (space needed to develop the setting, character history, character motivations, and to develop the plot with a traditional pacing of slower, early, while weaving in story development elements, speeding up a bit while in the earlier story period, once the setting development is finished, speeding up towards the climax (showdown), and leaving enough room for an epilogue that will answer all questions from the readers.  It is an interesting concept, which got me interested in the story, but I wanted to know a lot more about the hero and the monster.  I was left quite disappointed.

Cinder Smith
It is true that Cinder didn't play the role of the big hero, but he DID save Mike's life.  So, he was something of a hero, who rose to the occasion, when his friend was in danger.  The story does have some merit in having a mystery of what will happen in a situation that could turn in several directions; so there is suspense for the reader causing interest to see which way the story turns, and how it will end up.  I was curious to find out IF the hobo will succeed in killing or disfiguring Ape Hogan, and if Cinder will stop the former from succeeding, or would apprehend him after he'd commit the deed.  It wasn't one of the better action mysteries I've read, and probably not among those in the better half; but it held my interest, and was better than many I've read.  The artwork was fairly good (certainly better than that of "Mr. Monster".

Out Of The Woods
Rene Kulbach's regular "Out Of The Woods" feature in Bell Features' "Joke Comics" was always one of my favourite Canadian funny animal comic book features.  His slightly stylised artwork is of reasonably high quality, which gives the reader a calming, warm feeling.  It's clear that Kulbach really enjoyed bringing his feeling of The Canadian Northwoods to the public.  The stories are aimed at the sensibilities of little children, but still can be enjoyed by readers of all ages, as they don't talk down to the kiddies (e.g. don't underestimate their intelligence, as so many stories for very young children do).

The Scientist of Lightning Peak (Text)
this text story was pretty decent as text stories go, holding my interest till the end, with curiosity as to how the two youths would get out of their predicament.  It ended as I had feared, in disappointment that the author took the lazy, and easy way out, by having one of them physically overcome the older, unatheletic man by speed, and force of strength, by simply lunging towards him when he was turned facing the other direction.  Of course, thinking of a much stronger plot, and wasting it on a 2-page story, instead of using it on an 8 or 10 page, illustrated story would be a waste, as writers were paid by the page.

Tang
A story for Animal lovers, in which the horse rescues his master, an is just as much a hero.  It's a bit contrived, but the action and artwork was good.  The Idea of removing an area of track to stop a train to rob it is an inventive plot device.  Not a terrific story, but certainly readable and holds interest as an "average" level story.

Java Bean
Despite never having been a racist, "Java Bean", like his animation predecessor, Li'l Eight Ball, was a favourite character of mine, from my first exposure to them as a young child.  As I stated above, the fake "Blackface" liver-lipped, exaggerated style of drawing the characters of African extraction was objectionable; but the precociousness of the lead character, and his quick wit and using his brains to defeat the villains, or get even with tricksters who try to trick him, and the heart-felt natural comedy of the author/artist, Hy Moyer, makes this a quite enjoyable read.  I loved to see the Simon LeGree-like Trader Korn get his comeuppance from the object of his derision.  Just like the authors of Li'l Eight Ball and Li'l Moe, made their young Black protagonists ever more intelligent and craftier, more Human, and less negatively stereotyped, as their series progressed, I'd like to believe that Moyer would have done the same with Java Bean, had he produced more of that character's stories.

Jeff Waring
This was a well-drawn, decent action/adventure strip, that was somewhat interesting, with an adventurer/hero type, who has agreed with a beautiful, young woman to fly into the remote interior of Brazil's wild Matto Grosso, to rescue her father, who is leader of an expedition there.  The father, being captured by the local, primitive native tribe, is an oft-used story element, as is his being taken for a white-faced god they worshiped, returning to them as prophesised (as The Aztecs did with Hernan Cortez).  The author uses that relationship as a way to make it easy for the hero to rescue the father, simply by the father ordering his followers (would-be guards) to leave the cave where he was held, so the hero, ladyfriend and father could escape through the cave's back entrance.  Although there are natives there, capture them, and plan to burn them alive, sacrificing them to their bird god, the hero uses his brain, tossing a magnesium flare into the fire, creating billowing clouds, which signal their airplane pilot to bring his plane lower, to rescue them through the billowing smoke (presumably by sending down rescue ropes to pull them up?).  Landing the plane near the fire would be difficult, but airplanes don't hover like helicopters, and the pilot is the only one in the airplane, so he must continue navigating the plane, rather than stop that to send down ropes and pull up the people to be rescued.  Of course NONE of that is shown, so, the author and artist are spared the problem of determining exactly how the rescue would work in a believable way.  Also, I have a problem with the artist drawing northwest Pacific Native American (British Columbia/Alaska/Washington/Oregon) style totem poles in Brazil's Matto Grosso.  So, the story is not perfect, by any measurement.  But it was readable, and good for a few laughs (unwanted by the author).

Nelvana
This stray single issue by F.E. Howard, after having purchased the rights to publish Bell Features' comic book material, was used to provide a better ending to "Nelvana of The Northern Lights" series, by also finishing off
"The Ether People" story, which was printed in separate episodes in Triumph Comics No. 24-29, before self-standing single comic book stories were issued in Triumph Comics 30 and 31, to end Triumph's run.  "New Triumph" had no Nelvana stories.  I feel that this series-ending episode was too short to show all that was needed to finish off the series properly.  It seems too choppy.  The arch villain, Vultor escapes in the end (so he can return in the future if/when Nelvana is resurrected.  There is an invasion of The Earth planned by Vultur and The Etherians, but when their spaceships approach Earth, Nelvana uses her superpowers to destroy all their ships except Vultur's escape vehicle, and the entire WAR is over.  Nelvana saved The World, but we still don't know how The Inuit People's starvation situation was resolved (Nelvana had come down from The Sky (The Heavens) to aid them in their plight).  Lots of questions are unanswered.  It was a disappointing ending to the series.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 12:39:31 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Adamanto

message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 09:47:03 PM »

why not choose New Fun #2 to review, given that we have 37 pages (more than half) of that book to review

We have the full book, New Fun was 36 pages for its first four issues (these were tabloid-sized giant albums, not what we think of as "standard comic book" size today). The size was increased to 44 pages with issue #5, and then the book was changed to a standard golden age 68 page comic book with #9.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 10:02:54 PM »

why not choose New Fun #2 to review, given that we have 37 pages (more than half) of that book to review

We have the full book, New Fun was 36 pages for its first four issues (these were tabloid-sized giant albums, not what we think of as "standard comic book" size today). The size was increased to 44 pages with issue #5, and then the book was changed to a standard golden age 68 page comic book with #9.

Where is the uncut 36-page version on THIS website???  The Original Post's link sent us to the non-PD removed 14 remaining page version, hardly worth reviewing.  Is there a complete 36 page version somewhere on this website or DCM?
ip icon Logged

Adamanto

message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 10:53:43 PM »

Where is the uncut 36-page version on THIS website???  The Original Post's link sent us to the non-PD removed 14 remaining page version, hardly worth reviewing.  Is there a complete 36 page version somewhere on this website or DCM?

Of issue #1? The entire book is public domain, but until DC released a reprint last year, those pages that are on the site (which are taken from an issue of Alter Ego) were all that were available anywhere.

From how I understand it, while the actual New Fun #1 issue itself is public domain, the restoration DC did on the book for their reprint belongs to them (and can be bought on Comixology etc), so scans or digital rips of that reprint can't be uploaded.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 11:43:30 PM »

Of issue #1? The entire book is public domain, but until DC released a reprint last year, those pages that are on the site (which are taken from an issue of Alter Ego) were all that were available anywhere.

From how I understand it, while the actual New Fun #1 issue itself is public domain, the restoration DC did on the book for their reprint belongs to them (and can be bought on Comixology etc), so scans or digital rips of that reprint can't be uploaded.

So, my point that MOST of us only have free access to CB+'s 14-page "version" seems to be valid.  How can I read ALL 36 pages to review the book, without having to buy a digital version on Comixology?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:52:21 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Adamanto

message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 12:09:02 AM »

So, my point that MOST of us only have access to CB+'s 14-page "version" seems to be valid.  How can I read ALL 36 pages to review the book?

You'll need the restored reprint, either a physical or a digital copy:
https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/famous-first-edition-new-fun-1-c-63

(sorry if I'm coming across like a salesperson or something here. I agree with you that this wasn't the best book to choose for this project since there's seemingly no way to read it both legally AND free)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 12:46:26 AM »

So, my point that MOST of us only have access to CB+'s 14-page "version" seems to be valid.  How can I read ALL 36 pages to review the book?

(sorry if I'm coming across like a salesperson or something here. I agree with you that this wasn't the best book to choose for this project since there's seemingly no way to read it both legally AND free)

I'm not going to pay $20 US to review a book, when my income is severely reduced because of the pandemic, and there are literally many hundreds of comic books I don't have that I'd like to obtain in scanned form, much more than that book.  And I couldn't justify paying that money to download even my first choice of books I want and don't have, when I want so many more almost as much.

I don't understand why Panther didn't just choose for us to review "New Fun #2", which is intact, with ALL its 36 pages.  From what he wrote, it seems that his connection to Carnahan's article is basically the with entire series as the comic book innovation, rather than, specifically, Issue #1 (other than that issue being the VERY first comic book issue that contained new (non-newspaper strip) material).  So, ideally, Issue #1 WOULD be the absolute best, but not so much better than any other early issue of that series to make Issue #2 not work to represent the connection. 

So, I propose that we make the second book for review our choice of New Fun #1, OR #2.  And I will review #2.  After a quick perusal of "New Fun #2", I am convinced that whatever I say about the different strips in my review of Issue #2, would be EXACTLY, WORD FOR WORD, what I would have written if reviewing Issue #1.   8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 02:16:14 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Adamanto

message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 12:57:58 AM »

I'm not going to pay $20 US to review a book, when my income is severely reduced because of the pandemic, and there are literally many hundreds of comic books I don't have that I'd like to obtain in scanned form, much more than that book.  I don't understand why Panther didn't just choose for us to review "New Fun #2", which is intact with ALL its 36 pages.  From what he wrote, it seems that his connection to Carnahan's article is basically the entire series as the comic book innovation, rather than, specifically, Issue #1 (other than that issue being the VERY first comic book issue that contained new (non-newspaper strip) material.  So, ideally, Issue #1 WOULD be the absolute best, but not so much better than any other early issue of that series to make Issue #2 not work to represent the connection.  So, I propose that we make the second book for review our choice of New Fun #1, OR #2.  And I will review #2.

I assume he thought the site had the complete issue. Yeah, apart from #1 being the first issue, there's nothing about #1 that doesn't apply to #2 as well.

Think I'll do a review of that one later too.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.