in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Weekly GA Related Swag

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Weekly GA Related Swag  (Read 138014 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Weekly GA Related Swag
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2010, 03:38:13 AM »

Hello Gang!

Here are my comments for the week.

Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier #1 is an Ed Brubaker, Dale Eaglesham, Andy Troy production chronicling the adventures of Steve Rogers as the new honcho of S.H.E.I.L.D. -- and it a well crafted gem. There is even a tie to Professor Erskine here that I will not ruin. A special treat in this issue is a reconstructed (ergo, redrawn art mimicking a reprint) story from Captain America Adventures #1 showing how Cap met up with Bucky. Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier #1 is a solid offering, so consider giving it a read.  :)

I admit that Captain America: The 1940s's Newspaper Strip #1 (of 3) surprised me. I honestly expected it to be a reprinting of golden age comic strips --  ;D ;D ;D I never realized that this was a retcon presentation of what might have been newspaper strips for Cap and Bucky. My usual ignorance aside, this is a fine book. Karl Kesel and Ben Dimagmaliw manage to capture the excitement of Golden Age  Captain America and Bucky and I confidently recommend the purchase of this entertaining series.

I have come to the point where the chronic horribleness of this series does not even bother me anymore, thus JSA: All-Stars #8, the start of a new story arc, actually comes across as decent reading. A pal at the local comics shop declared that he had stopped reading the series with #7, and I wondered what is so wrong with me that I can't stop picking up this monthly train wreck.  ;D Ah well, if you are a JSA junky, you know my pain.

Marvelman: Family's Finest # 1 (of 6) is an interesting item. A collection of actual reprinted stories (no reconstructions here) that introduce Marvelman, Young Marvelman, and Kid Marvelman. I really like this effort. It is black & white newsprint, nice cardstock covers, with a cover gallery. If you like Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family, you just might like the fun spirit that comes through in this offering. Check it out.

Have a good weekend everyone!  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2010, 03:39:12 AM »

I looked through Batman Odyssey but it just did not strike me as a good read so did not get it. I got Phantom Generations 13 only book this week. I believe it is the last issue :(
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »

Batman Odyssey was disappointing.  I think if I'd come to this knowing nothing about Batman, I'd not have had a clue what was going on.  As it is, I was a bit confused and the art,as I suppose I knew it would be, was not what we all remember from those glorious Adams Batman and Detective comics of old.  Too Continuity like.
Marvelman was great.  The mighty Don Lawrence in his early years and Kid being a classic wee super guy. I really prefer newsprint for comics.
As for Jack Staff, if you haven't seen this, I suggest getting the tpb's, particularly the b&w original series.  Some old British comics characters appear in altered guise and it's good fun and a bit confusing, but, ultimately, very enjoyable.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2010, 06:10:36 PM »

I agree about the look of Batman Ody did not recognize it as more like Continuity until Paw mentioned it, but it does. I also believe it would have looked better on newsprint. Did not think much about it before but certain art looks better glossy than newsprint and vice versa. I do not think Batman Ody would have been good or looked good either way.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »

I find it refreshing that both Marvel and Dynamite are doing affordable quality reprints - Marvel with Marvelman and Dynamite with the Golden Age Green Hornet stories.

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2010, 04:39:56 AM »

I had time to pick up my books today before being called away for family activities. I will post tomorrow (hopefully), but below is what I picked up this week.

Doctor Solar: Man of the Atom #1

Savage Dragon #162

Captain America/Black Panther: Flags of Our Fathers #4 (of 4)

The Mighty Crusaders #1 (of 6)

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2010, 01:27:25 PM »

Doctor Solar
I have to say I was not impressed with the FCBD preview. I really liked the first issue though. Good old fashioned crime fighting mixed with some new explainations of what makes Doc so powerful. This is a special bargain at only $3.50 when most 22 new page comics are $3.99. You get the 22 new pages plus a reprint of the original Solar origin. I added Magnus to my pull list after the FCBD preview and am adding Solar after reading issue one.

Last week I was disappointed by Green Hornet #5. Started getting too much like Parallel Lives with a Green Hornet who is a bumbler and Kato the true star. If this continues I will drop the tile.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »

http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=11080

THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS #1 Preview
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2010, 01:19:25 AM »

A few brief comments for this week.

Doctor Solar: Man of the Atom #1 is something many of you should run out and purchase. This is a solid work by Jim Shooter & Dennis Calero that will not disappoint. This is far better than the preview that came out on Free Comics Day this year, and that was not bad at all. Seriously, you will like this book.

Savage Dragon #162 has a brief cameo from Silver Streak and highlights the plight of DareDevil in the Savage Dragon universe. There are some nice comedic moments in this issue also. Recommended.

Captain America/Black Panther: Flags of Our Fathers #4 (of 4) concludes this entertaining series from Reggie Hudlin and Denys Cowan. If you haven't been purchasing this series, look for the trade when it appears.

The Mighty Crusaders #1 (of 6) is a disappointment in my view, and that puzzles me considering that Eric S. Trautmann is a fine writer. I believe that this #1 is too formulaic. The characterizations are so off, especially considering the previous prequel of sorts that came out a couple of months ago -- that was solid, this here is dull. However, I am not giving up on it yet. Sometimes first issues are bumpy, and so I will give this series the benefit of the doubt and trust that Trautmann works out the kinks.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2010, 02:46:02 PM »

Justice Society of America #41, part 2 of The Dark Things JSA/JLA crossover, represents the first enjoyable JSA story in over a year. Robinson, Bagley, and Rapmund create fun in this run, so enjoy before JSA #43 more than likely returns us to another bland storyline.

Speaking of bland, DC Universe: Legacies #3 hit the stands this week and already we are in the Silver Age. Beyond that, I do not know how this issue reads because I am following up on my statement that I planned to drop the book after my complaints about #2. If you read it, let us know how it is.

The big star this week is MARVELMAN Classic Primer #1! Consider this a concise history of Marvelman, with exclusive/rare art & photos, packed with interviews featuring Mick Anglo and a brief history of British Comics! This is a treat!  ;D

In other news, new issues of Power Girl and Green Hornet are out this week also.

Don't forget that San Diego Con starts today! PulpFest 2010 (in Columbus, OH) is just around the corner at the end of the month.

Take care everyone.  :)

B.
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2010, 09:15:53 PM »

Legacies is ok, but this issue even has more problems than the others. It seems like it cannot really decide what it's supposed to be. On one hand it seems to be a version of the modern history of the current DCU, which would be fine. On the other, it's a meta-fictional history, explaining superhero continuity and publishing trends through a story such as the fall of the GA heroes, the rise of the detective heroes and western stars (using television  to stand in for comics, and the coonskin hat craze explained as a Tomahawk fad...). Except for the fact that the timeline in this issue is all sorts of screwed up. If the kid was around 8-12 in 1939, this story (and many of the characters used and referenced events) suggest that it's taking place in the 1950s. Which is fine when talking about the rise of the cowboy heroes after the GA masked men mostly leave the stage. But, the story then basically implies that the Silver-Age heroes Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern and the Flash all debuted in the mid to late 1950s. Which is true publishing wise (for Green Lantern and the Flash anyways, the other four never really left), but no way that jibes with modern continuity! And, considering the age of the narrator, that means that he would have to be narrating from some point in the future, or we're going to acknowledge on some level that the modern heroes have been active for 50-60 years!

Not really impressed with Robinson's JSA story. We have have a wildly inappropriate comment between Mr. America and Lightning, Wildcat doing the cliched "poor me with no superpowers but a good left-hook and on an adventure involving magic/superpowers/etc" monologue, Obsidian taken over right after a whole arc whose ultimate issue was about how he'd never be taken over again, Dr. Mid-nite getting sidelined out of an adventure in order to do real doctoring yet again, and by the end, the story's main heroes being just legacy heroes as all the originals or primary ones taken out. And, conflicting accounts as to how the starheart's possessions work. Is it random, possibly targeting anyone with a modicum of superpowers, or just the ones powered by starheart/chaotic energy? As the majority of the team that Batman nee Nightwing nee Robin are superpowered, exactly what is his logic that these heroes are the least susceptible, when the start of the comic points out that it is targeting even those with very little super power? There's no internal logic to it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:30:04 PM by Ed Love »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »

Legacies is ok, but this issue even has more problems than the others. It seems like it cannot really decide what it's supposed to be. On one hand it seems to be a version of the modern history of the current DCU, which would be fine. On the other, it's a meta-fictional history, explaining superhero continuity and publishing trends through a story such as the fall of the GA heroes, the rise of the detective heroes and western stars (using television  to stand in for comics, and the coonskin hat craze explained as a Tomahawk fad...). Except for the fact that the timeline in this issue is all sorts of screwed up. If the kid was around 8-12 in 1939, this story (and many of the characters used and referenced events) suggest that it's taking place in the 1950s. Which is fine when talking about the rise of the cowboy heroes after the GA masked men mostly leave the stage. But, the story then basically implies that the Silver-Age heroes Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern and the Flash all debuted in the mid to late 1950s. Which is true publishing wise (for Green Lantern and the Flash anyways, the other four never really left), but no way that jibes with modern continuity! And, considering the age of the narrator, that means that he would have to be narrating from some point in the future, or we're going to acknowledge on some level that the modern heroes have been active for 50-60 years!

Sounds like more of a mess than #2. DC could save itself a lot of headaches if it would just state the particular earth being viewed regardless of the comic. Neither Earth-1 or Earth-2 is in this book (I think it was Mark Warner who figured out that this is most likely New DC Earth)...after #2 I saw no more reason to fill my head with this stuff.

Not really impressed with Robinson's JSA story. We have have a wildly inappropriate comment between Mr. America and Lightning, Wildcat doing the cliched "poor me with no superpowers but a good left-hook and on an adventure involving magic/superpowers/etc" monologue, Obsidian taken over right after a whole arc whose ultimate issue was about how he'd never be taken over again, Dr. Mid-nite getting sidelined out of an adventure in order to do real doctoring yet again, and by the end, the story's main heroes being the least interesting of the JSA's legacy heroes as all the originals or primary ones taken out.

"Wildly inappropriate comment" -- the 'tingles' reference? I admit to thinking to myself "isn't she a minor" -- but I disagree with you regarding this story. This is an ongoing gem compared to the slop that we were given recently.  ;D

And, conflicting accounts as to how the starheart's possessions work. Is it random, possibly targeting anyone with a modicum of superpowers, or just the ones powered by starheart/chaotic energy? As the majority of the team that Batman nee Nightwing nee Robin are superpowered, exactly what is his logic that these heroes are the least susceptible, when the start of the comic points out that it is targeting even those with very little magic power. There's no internal logic to it.

Spot on sir! Before it is done, the Starheart will get credit for the Miracles at the Mount.  ;D ;D ;D

B.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2010, 07:44:39 AM »

Except for the fact that the timeline in this issue is all sorts of screwed up. If the kid was around 8-12 in 1939, this story (and many of the characters used and referenced events) suggest that it's taking place in the 1950s. Which is fine when talking about the rise of the cowboy heroes after the GA masked men mostly leave the stage. But, the story then basically implies that the Silver-Age heroes Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern and the Flash all debuted in the mid to late 1950s. Which is true publishing wise (for Green Lantern and the Flash anyways, the other four never really left), but no way that jibes with modern continuity! And, considering the age of the narrator, that means that he would have to be narrating from some point in the future, or we're going to acknowledge on some level that the modern heroes have been active for 50-60 years!

MARVELS did the same thing -playing hard and fast with the Silver Age and beyond.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »

Finally got off my rear and hit most of the comic shops in town so I could pick up some titles you gents have recommended. Picked up JSA 41 &42, Marvelman 1, Doctor Solar 1, Capt. Swing 2, finally got a Moonstone Spider, my usual Disneys and, as an extra treat, found a couple of Shadow paperbacks from the late '70s. Really enjoyed Solar (loved the archive section) and Marvelman. Will be buying more of both. As a fan of both Victorian sci-fi and Steam Punk, Capt. Swing was a quirky treat. Haven't read the rest yet, but hopefully soon. Thanks to Boox, Paw and  all who give us all these previews and opinions. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2010, 11:40:57 PM »

Finally got off my rear and hit most of the comic shops in town so I could pick up some titles you gents have recommended. Picked up JSA 41 &42, Marvelman 1, Doctor Solar 1, Capt. Swing 2, finally got a Moonstone Spider, my usual Disneys and, as an extra treat, found a couple of Shadow paperbacks from the late '70s. Really enjoyed Solar (loved the archive section) and Marvelman. Will be buying more of both. As a fan of both Victorian sci-fi and Steam Punk, Capt. Swing was a quirky treat. Haven't read the rest yet, but hopefully soon. Thanks to Boox, Paw and  all who give us all these previews and opinions. Cheers, Bowers

;D Let us know what you think of them after reading!  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2010, 01:23:35 PM »

Been without internet for over a week and still not hooked up.

Lady Robotika was one of my books for the week and was promising. I will continue to give it a try.

Green Hornet 6- I still do not like the bumbling Hornet idea but have not given up on the series.

DCU Legacies 3 with the Silver Age was great. Nothing is perfect but I thought they did a great job of tying things together including the SA sci-fi books.

Widow Warriors 1 has promise story wise but the coloring was so dark I could not tell one character from the other.

Archie 611 continues the man from R.I.V.E.R.D.A.L.E. and I love it. It had an add for a Jughead 2 part Sam Spade spoof coming up I may have to try.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »

So glad bowers enjoyed Captain Swing and Marvelman, for that matter.  I think C. Swing could be a goody, if they can keep up the quality of the first two.
Haven't got near a comic shop for a couple of weeks but my pal in his bookshop got me Phantom Generations #12 and, although it's not my favourite Phantom phormat, I rather enjoyed it.  Lovely cover.
I also seem to have a double of Phantom Unmasked #1 - so I read it again and there are a couple of pages that truly depict The Phantom as he should be.  And that, in my opinion is the exact opposite of the way this great hero is depicted in the Dynamite publicity illos.  I know I should wait to read the comic but my heart sank when I saw more of the art and illos.  Thank goodness for the Hermes hardback vol.1 - which I hope you all have and are now wallowing in those great adventures. If not, there are much cheaper PCC reprints out there to enjoy.
My head hurts trying to figure out who's where and when with all this Legacy stuff - what a mess.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2010, 12:47:30 PM »

Visited Banjaxx comics in Stirling yesterday and bought a few pamphlets. Took the recommendations and tried Doc. Solar #1 and enjoyed it.  It's an all round good looking comic and the reprint of the origin is great.  That'll save me opening my original #1. I agree about Green Hornet, in that it's becoming a bit wearing following the adventures of a dimbo and pretty useless Hornet. However, it took me a while but I eventually realised that the Artist, Jonathan Lau is, or looks just like, the guy who drew many of the Hong Kong comics we used to get in Glasgow's Chinatown shops.  Always loved the hites and many of the scenes even though it was in Chinese and we didn't have a clue what was going on.  Marvelman Primer was a good read although there wasn't a lot of new info. for me, nor will there be for afficionados of British comics.  Nice to see it out there though and it may give foreign fans a glimpse into other styles of comics. And Don Lawrence is mentioned, so it saves me going on yet again about how good he was - look him up, Trigan Empire and Storm, you wont regret it.  Spirit #4 next and I wonder if I'm getting a bit weary of it.  It's a bit too callous for the Spirit and I now realise the back-up stories have been more enjoyable. I asked about Birds of Prey3 and was told that there was a recall as the comic had a few pages of BOP. then went to pages of Batgirl, so printing error there. I tried #1 of Sixth Gun from ONI Press and am intrigued enough to go back for #2.  The drawback for me being that on the basis of this first issue, there seem to be no characters with any saving grace at all.
Haven't read Zatanna #3 yet.  Saving it for later, to savour, as it were.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »

;D Happy New Comics Day!  ;D

I haven't really begun reading anything yet, but I wanted to recount what I know is on the stands today.

DC
The Web #10 (final issue)
DC: Firstwave #3
Justice League of America #47

Dynamite
Kato #3
Green Hornet Strikes #2

Marvel
Captain America: The 1940s Newspaper Strip #2 (of 3)

Looking forward to what everyone picked up and is reading.  ;D

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2010, 12:42:23 AM »

Kato 3 was the only book that came in for me this week. Continues to be a good series and I continue to like the Kato books better than the GH books. Diamond has once again left me hanging. No Femforce or Mystery Society
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »

I finally got a little quiet time to finish JSA 41, "The Dark Things". I haven't bought ( or even read) anything from DC for a very long time. It was a  pleasant surprise to see some old friends in action, and equally puzzling trying to figure out out who some of the new ones were! Robinson and Bagley gave us a  fast-paced and very well illustrated tale. Loved the clever panel layouts - a great way to keep the action moving. Really enjoyed this comic and I'll have to finish this story-line. Can't say that I'm hooked on this book, but I'll sure be keeping an eye on it! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2010, 11:25:18 PM »

I get the JLA/JSA trades so I get to read the whole story arc every six months I like it that way
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2010, 03:00:51 AM »

Hi gang.

I am seriously behind with my comics. I owe you comments from last week, and here it is another week.

I promise to get caught up over the weekend.

For now, here are the goods I bought this week:

The Green Hornet: Golden Age Remastered #1 (Dynamite)

Marvelman Family's Finest #2 (Marvel)

Captain America #608 (Marvel)

Captain America: Forever Allies #1 (of 4) (Marvel)

JSA: All-Stars #9 (DC)

Magnus: Robot Fighter #1 (Dark Horse)

I'll have my comments in during the weekend, looking forward to hearing from everyone else...oh, and I think the new Black Terror was out this week also.

B.  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2010, 03:13:14 AM »

I hope to pick up my Magnus tomorrow. Maybe some of the other books that Diamond has neglected to send when they were supposed to
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2010, 12:35:56 AM »

Narf, did you ever get that copy of Magnus? Or has anyone? Really want to hear about it. Cheers, Bowers

ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.