in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Weekly GA Related Swag

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Weekly GA Related Swag  (Read 138149 times)

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
Re: Weekly GA Related Swag
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »

The Pure Imagination books, for the most part, are magazine size trade paperbacks and run about 160 pages.  Stories are reproduced in black and white (Cover/back covers are in color).Most retail for $25.

I'll start digging out the Wood volumes-here's the contents of the first-

WILD WOOD (2010)

Cover/Back cover-color illos (from unidentified sci-fi digests?)

Title page-another sci-fi digest half tone illo

copyright page-unidentified  illo-western theme (1950s?)

Intro by Greg Theakston-"I Pissed Off Wally Wood"-13 pgs-(contains mini-interviews with Joe Orlando, Dan Adkins, Ralph Reese and Paul Kirchner)-several spot illos by Wood & co. (and also repros Wood's famous "22 Panels That Always Work").

Illos from Planet Stories Sept 1953-(pulp)-2 pgs-

2 Sabu stories from Sabu Comics #30 (1)-June 1950-Fox-17 pgs-

Dorothy Lamour story from Dorothy Lamour Jungle Princess #3-Aug 1950-Fox-8 pgs-

Lariat Lucy story from unidentified Trojan pulp (per JVJ)--8 pgs-same story was later printed (in censored form) in Trojan's Western Crime Busters #10-April 1952.

Sci-fi digest illos-19 pgs-(Galaxy and Worlds of Tomorrow)-c1957-1963-

Commercial art illos-8 pgs-1950s-1970s-(includes the Prince Valiant page Wood did)

Girls-7 pgs-humorous work done for men's magazines-1950s-1960s

Avon Inside Front Covers-8 pages-(Strange Worlds #3 & 5, Space Detective#2 & ?, Police Line-Up#1, Murderous Gangsters#1,Mask of Fu Manchu, An Earth Man on Venus)-all 1951

Humor Art-10 pgs-ad parodies-c. 1963

Fantastic Voyage-Western-1967-32 pgs-

story (w. Ditko) from The Destructor #2-Seaboard-April 1975-

Greg doesn't always ID the original source of the stories (and sometimes he mis-IDs them) but I've done my best to get the correct info here.

Best

Joe

Definitely sounds like some interesting stuff in this one Joe... particularly the early pulp illustration stuff... I don't think I've seen any of that before.  I think I might get a copy if I can find it available somewhere.

Btw, I think I recall seeing that Dorothy Lamour story in one of the comics I downloaded from GAC once upon a time ago... at least I think it was Wood.  If I'm not mistaken, it was rather crude compared to what he was doing just two or three years later.  But seeing it was also oddly inspiring to me in a way... namely that with practice and devotion to one's craft one can indeed make great strides with one's art in a short amount of time, no matter what level of talent you may possess. 
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2011, 03:21:38 AM »

Definitely sounds like some interesting stuff in this one Joe... particularly the early pulp illustration stuff... I don't think I've seen any of that before.  I think I might get a copy if I can find it available somewhere.

Btw, I think I recall seeing that Dorothy Lamour story in one of the comics I downloaded from GAC once upon a time ago... at least I think it was Wood.  If I'm not mistaken, it was rather crude compared to what he was doing just two or three years later.  But seeing it was also oddly inspiring to me in a way... namely that with practice and devotion to one's craft one can indeed make great strides with one's art in a short amount of time, no matter what level of talent you may possess. 

That would be Dorothy Lamour, Jungle Princess #2, very crude Wood art , but definitely Wood art.

Geo
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »

Well if you want to see more of that early (sometimes crude) Wood stuff then this Pure Imagination volume will fill that bill.  All stories done between 1950-1952 (although a couple were held back in inventory to finally get first published a few years later).

Wally Wood: Edge of Genius (2009)

Cover-Six-Gun Smith from Western Crime Busters splash

Intro by Greg Theakston-1 pg-

Flying Saucers-1950-Avon-21 pgs-

Romance Story from Life Story #13-Apr. 1950-Fawcett-7 pgs-

Romance story from My Love Affair #6-May 1950-Fox-10 pgs (Wood inks only)-

Fighting Bob Dale western story from Western Crime Busters #6-June 1950-Trojan-8 pgs-

Ray Hale crime story from Super Detective (pulp)-June 1950-Trojan-6 pgs-(w. Ken Battefield)-

Sci-fi story from Captain Science #1-Nov 1950-Youthful-7 pgs-

Six-Gun Smith western story from Western Crime Busters #7-Oct 1951-Trojan-8 pgs-

Tex Gordon western story from Western Crime Busters #9-Feb 1952-Trojan-8 pgs-

Wilma West western story from Western Crime Busters #9-Feb 1952-Trojan-7 pgs-(w. Ken Battefield)-

Earthman on Venus-1951-Avon-26 pgs-

Rocket to the Moon-1951-Avon-25 pgs-(w. Joe Orlando)-

Jungle story from Blue Bolt #118-Mar 1953-Star-10 pgs-

Romance story from Confessions of Romance #9-May 1954-Star-10 pgs-

Back cover-fantasy/S & S illo-

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »

Some items picked up this week at my LCS-

Jack Kirby Collector #56-  My particular favorites in this issue include a complete Boy Explorers story-Harvey-(1946), A complete story meant for the unpublished Soul Love/True Divorce Cases-(plus a splash for a second story and the cover)-DC-(1971), the splash (from original art) of a story from Captain America Comics #6-Timely-(1941), plus all kinds of the other usual neat stuff!

Captain America #616-  Boox has been giving Cap some good plugs lately so I decided to finally give in and try one.  This is the 70th anniversary issue and is a real bargain with 95 pgs of story/art for only $4.99!  In addition to the regular story there are 7 special back up stories. Things that I really liked in this issue included seeing the Cap sketches by late greats such as Jim Aparo and Curt Swan & the Cap WWII stories illustrated by Paul Grist (Cap teamed w The Invaders) and Howard Chaykin.

Plus from the $5.00 box some inexpensive goodies from the 1950s-   
Ben-Hur (Four Color) #1052-Western-(1959)-  33 pgs of vintage Russ Manning!
Patsy Walker #46-Atlas-(1953)-a 52 pg issue drawn completely by Al Jaffee

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »

Definitely sounds like some interesting stuff in this one Joe... particularly the early pulp illustration stuff... I don't think I've seen any of that before.  I think I might get a copy if I can find it available somewhere.

Btw, I think I recall seeing that Dorothy Lamour story in one of the comics I downloaded from GAC once upon a time ago... at least I think it was Wood.  If I'm not mistaken, it was rather crude compared to what he was doing just two or three years later.  But seeing it was also oddly inspiring to me in a way... namely that with practice and devotion to one's craft one can indeed make great strides with one's art in a short amount of time, no matter what level of talent you may possess.  

That would be Dorothy Lamour, Jungle Princess #2, very crude Wood art , but definitely Wood art.

Geo

It was Dorothy Lamour Jungle Princess #3 of which I was speaking... I happen to still have that downloaded copy.  I haven't downloaded DLJP #2, but I've read in Overstreet that he did indeed do some artwork in that one as well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:16:06 PM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »

Well if you want to see more of that early (sometimes crude) Wood stuff then this Pure Imagination volume will fill that bill.  All stories done between 1950-1952 (although a couple were held back in inventory to finally get first published a few years later). ...

Thanks again for the info.  

I'm definitely interested in seeing some of his early pre-50s stuff.  I mean, being accustomed to seeing Wood at his best (as we all are here) I'd find it interesting to see some of his less polished work from this period.  I know that for the better part of his career (talking post-1940s here) he would sometimes "scale" his effort in accordance with what he was paid... in other words, the client who paid well got a very different quality of work than one who didn't.  

Only seeing a handful of his very early work from such places as Fox, I'm wondering now how much of that "crude art" was really due to his youth as an artist... I mean, if you were an artist freelancing for Fox, you were lucky to ever see a dime.  That's why I'm interested in his other work from the period... like the pulp illustrations and such.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:17:15 PM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »

Wasn't sure where to put this but here goes.  A pal has a bookshop in Edinburgh and tells me that Diamond have reoffered vol 2 of The Phantom Dailies by Hermes.  Now I got my copy a couple of months ago and a nice package it is too but I am now concerned that it isn't selling well.  If thats the case I fear the project might be stopped.  No solicitation for vol. 3, by the way.  If, like me you are a Phantom phan, I think you should be concerned.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2011, 07:06:24 PM »

Went to Stirling, to the lcs, yesterday, and bought a few comics. Someone was good enough recently to refer me to Power Girl and I found #s 22 & 23.  Most entertaining, especially the appearance of Zatanna.
I also tried #1 & 2 of Sigil from Crossgen (I'm a sucker for pirates)  and liked it enough to keep going. Haven't read the rest yet but it includes Sherlock Holmes 3 from Dynamite; BOP 11; Zatanna 11 & 12; Green Hornet Year 1 #9.  Great reading ahead.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #258 on: May 02, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »

Here's the rundown on another one of Pure Imagination's volumes on Wally Wood I dug out of storage.  Mostly more early stuff (c. 1951) in this volume but also a handful of later stories.

The Wallace Wood Reader (2004)

Cover-Avon(?) Sci-fi comic cover

Mask of Fu Manchu-1951-Avon-25 pgs

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde-1951-Avon-25 pgs

"The Repulsive Dwarf" from Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde-1951-Avon-3 pgs-

"The Insidious Doctor Khartoum" from Captain Science #4-June 1951-Youthful-8 pgs-

"Bandits from the Starways"-8 pgs, "Trail to the Asteroid Hideout"-7 pgs, "Opium Smugglers of Venus"-7 pgs-all from Space Detective #1-July 1951-Avon-

"Time Door of Throm"-8 pgs, "Science Vs. Sorcery"-7 pgs-both from Captain Science #5-Aug 1951-Youthful-

Kenton of Star Patrol story from Strange Worlds #5-Nov 1951-Avon-8 pgs-

Rocket to the Moon#1-Dec 1951-Avon-25 pgs-

"The Executioner" from Journey into Mystery #39-Oct 1956-Atlas-4 pgs-

3 war stories from War and Attack #1-Fall 1964-Charlton-18 pgs-

Backcover-Men's mag gag page-full color

I have one more PI Wood book around here somewhere which, if IIRC, has a good sampling of those sci-fi illos he did for Galaxy and whatnot.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2011, 02:13:21 PM »

Vanguard has quickly followed up on its Johnny Comet collection with a second volume of Frazetta reprints (which I picked up at my LCS this week). 

Full color-192 pgs-

The entire run of Frazetta's White Indian (Dan Brand and Tipi) stories make up the biggest part of this book but there are also a number of those 2 & 3 pg stories Fritz did for Heroic Comics included and some odds and ends.  I've seen most of these before but a few- like the viking story (from Standard's Real Life Comics#52 were new to me. David Spurlock provides a 2 page intro.

I understand a third volume of reprints is due out before long.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #260 on: May 08, 2011, 03:09:55 AM »

My LCS finally got the second issue of Turok. I was very pleased with it, but not so sure I want to wait months for the next issue! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »

Eventually got to the comic shop in Stirling and bought a couple of things ;- BoP which is one of the very few titles I find entertaining and doesn't always seem to be about the end of everything as we know it.  O.K. I exaggerate a bit but superhero comics used to be fun and now, too many of them are just too serious and sadly lacking in a sense of humour;
Flashpoint 1(is this yet another cynical attempt by the publishers to tempt buyers to spend the shopping money on comics and boost the sales figures of certain titles?) because it all seemed a bit mysterious and I was sure Barry was dead, pan breed, ex, shuffled off this mortal coil but why am I surprised as Steve Rogers doesn't seem to be pan either. Curious to find out how it's resolved but I wont be buying the in betweenies;
Intrepids #1 (2nd. print).  Now this seemed quite entertaining and I will now try to find #2,which of course is out and I'll have to chase around to find it.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2011, 06:41:27 PM »

BoP=Birds of Prey? I have checked out some issues and may add it to my pull list. It would be my only DC. What is Intrepids? I enjoy both Warlord of Mars and Dejah Thoris. Steve Niles has a new book Suicide Girls that I found interesting
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2011, 07:14:50 PM »

Yes, indeed, Birds of Prey.  As someone over on Comics UK  said, well, to paraphrase, how can you not have a comic with Zinda in it?  Good entertainment, well written and drawn.  Now, if I can only interest you in Zatanna.
The Intrepids is from Image and is by Kurtis Wiebe and Scott Kowalchuk and at first read seemed slightly reminiscent of the original Secret Six and was definately good fun. The header reads, " Mad scientists are a disease, meet the cure" Then again, my taste can be a bit off for some people.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »

This weekend, Zatanna; Intrepids 2,3,4; Green Hornet yr 1 #10; Sherlock Holmes yr1 # 4; Flashpoint 2.
I'll wander over to the DC "reboot" bitty to comment further.  Suivez-moi.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2011, 06:00:31 AM »

Zatanna may be a good read but I do not like magic characters at all. Intrepids does sound interesting. I continue to like Samson and Magnus.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »

This week, Mystery Men 1 & 2.  This is the way to do a pulp in a comic.
Intrepids #4
BoP13
Zatanna 14
and I'm sorry to report that having seen the new costumes for Canary and co and Zatanna, I've cancelled them from when they go back to #1.
As a friend said, this is a good time to jump off, not on. Oh, and the Rob Liefeld samples - dear oh dear.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2011, 12:44:38 AM »

This week, Mystery Men 1 & 2.  This is the way to do a pulp in a comic.
Intrepids #4
BoP13
Zatanna 14
and I'm sorry to report that having seen the new costumes for Canary and co and Zatanna, I've cancelled them from when they go back to #1.
As a friend said, this is a good time to jump off, not on. Oh, and the Rob Liefeld samples - dear oh dear.

I'm going to have to track down Mystery Men...I almost bought it a couple of weeks ago, but had other things on my mind. I canceled all of my DC pull-list. I have no interest in their reboot/retool/waswhozit, so Marvel, Dynamite, Boom, and Moonstone will benefit from the extra dollars I'll have on hand.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2011, 12:56:56 AM »

I wanted to get Moonstone's Phases of the Moon but the crossover event must not have ever come out.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #269 on: July 18, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »

Picked up the new issue of Alter Ego this week.  Green Lantern is the cover feature and there's an interview with GA GL artist Martin Nodell plus the conclusion of an interview with GA writer Jack Mendelsohn and more.

Also from Pure Imagination is the first of a two volume biography on Jack Kirby by Greg Theakston entitled Jack Magic.  I haven't started reading it yet but it sure is well illustrated.  There must be close to two hundred photos and illos in the book (which covers Kirby's life and career up til the very beginning of the Marvel age).

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »

Finally received my copy of Tarpe Mills and Miss Fury - Sensational Sundays. Lovely, heavy, well done book.  Always been a fan of Miss Fury but only had what I could download and a reprint, b&w softback.  This is a great purchase already and I've only really started to sample the delights in it.
Also bought a pile of Dells from my pal, but reading them has given way to the M.F. book.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »

some items picked up this week at my LCS-

Zatanna #15 & Power Girl #26-DC-   A couple done-in-one stories.  I've enjoyed the fairly brief run of both of these titles and will be sorry to see them go

Justice Society of America #53-DC- The writing has been on the weak side for a while with this title but it's been nice to see Jerry Ordway brought on board as penciller as the title winds down.

A couple of vintage GA titles from the $5.00 box.

Terry-Toons #44-(1946)-Timely-  Jim Mooney, Mike Sekowsky, Dave Gantz, Ed Winiarksi, Christopher Rule and Violet Barclay are among the artists illustrating the adventures of Mighty Mouse and friends (some of which are written by Stan Lee).

Luke Short's Top Gun (Four Color) #927-(1958)-Dell-  34 pages of John Buscema's western shoot-'em-up comics.

And for the researcher in me-

Comics on Trial Volume 1-TPB-Pure Imagination-  Collects the testimony from the Juvenile Delinquency Hearings conducted by the United States Senate on April 21, 22 & June 4, 1954.  Among those testifying are Bill Gaines, Walt Kelly, Milton Caniff, Monroe Froelich, Dr. Frederic Wertham, & Dr. Lauretta Bender.  Also included are a number of vintage newspaper and magazine articles on the topic that were included because they were "entered into the record".   
Certainly on the dry side but invaluable for comics historians.  I've read various extracts from this over the years but never seen the complete transcripts until now.  I suspect that much (if not all) of this may be available somewhere on line But I don't think I could ever wade through that much online reading without getting a throbbing headache.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »

Finally saved up enough to buy Phantom dailies vol. 3.  I wasn't going to get this book but, well, it's The Phantom, the first, the best, and seeing it on the shop shelf, it seduced me.  Also bought The Rocketeer hardback collection and the new(ish) rocketeer comic.  Really lovely few pages by John Cassaday.  Penniless again but happy.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #273 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »

Picked up a new inexpensive little tpb from Archie today-The Best of Archie Comics.  It's over 400 pages and shows a nice sampling of Archie and related comics (Wilbur, Super Duck, Ginger Lil Jinx, Sabrina) from the 1940s through recent years.  All for only $9.99!

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »

I bought BoP 14, Zatanna 15, Mystery Men 3 and Femforce #156 on Saturday at my lcs.
I also noticed an ad in the back of The Rocketeer comic mentioned above for Archie's Joke Book Collection - a celebration of Bob Montana.  Any relation to the Archie book you mention, josemas?  This is released by IDW and I'm starting to get a wee notion to read more old Archie.
All due to a pal who is an Archie collector and has titles going away back - lovely stuff.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.