in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

"real" MARVELMAN reprints from Marvel in July

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: "real" MARVELMAN reprints from Marvel in July  (Read 3488 times)

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
"real" MARVELMAN reprints from Marvel in July
« on: April 21, 2010, 03:54:17 AM »

MARVELMAN CLASSIC VOL. 1 PREMIERE HC
Written by MICK ANGLO & VARIOUS
Penciled by MICK ANGLO & VARIOUS
Covers by MICK ANGLO & JOE QUESADA
Who is the mysterious Marvelman? If you only know him from his dark, deconstructionist eighties revival, then you don
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: "real" MARVELMAN reprints from Marvel in July
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:55:50 AM »

:o :o :o

WANT!!!!
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:02:56 AM »

I wonder if they tracked down the original art,stats/negs or if they had to restore the art from comics directly.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 04:35:43 PM »

Don't know how they prepared these publications but what I do know is that this is the REAL Marvelman - the one I grew up with and although I have many original issues, I will be buying these reprints.  (There were a lot of issues as it came out weekly and there are big gaps in my collection.  In any case I want b&w reprints of the Family stories.  I only have a couple of Family issues and an annual and the coloured stuff Eclipse (spit) did)  And for any of you not familiar with the comics, some were drawn by the mighty Don Lawrence when he was young.  No more incentive needed than that, eh?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 03:57:51 PM »

Posted this on DCM and for anyone who still hasn't read the letter or cares enough to do so, please share your comments

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?id=567&page=article

Raises questions about what rights Marvel have.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 04:10:48 PM »

Alan Davis appears to have a strong case.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »

Are the original comics in B&W or is Marvel just cheaping out by giving us B&W reprints?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »

Are the original comics in B&W or is Marvel just cheaping out by giving us B&W reprints?

What exactly do you mean? These are reprints...but how else would they present them unless they created new stories?

B.
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »

Yeah they are reprints in B&W.  I'm asking if the original issues that are being reprinted by Marvel were black and white comics, or were they originally in color?

They've done reprint material for characters in THE TWELVE that were in color, so why not Marvelman, unless the source material is B&W.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 09:49:25 PM »

Yeah they are reprints in B&W.  I'm asking if the original issues that are being reprinted by Marvel were black and white comics, or were they originally in color?

They've done reprint material for characters in THE TWELVE that were in color, so why not Marvelman, unless the source material is B&W.

I think much of it was in b&w ... hence, the B&w reprinting. I've seen Marvelman material in color, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the super early material.

B.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »

"Yeah they are reprints in B&W.  I'm asking if the original issues that are being reprinted by Marvel were black and white comics, or were they originally in color?" - BountyHunter.
The originals were all in b&w with a colour cover.  The colour issues mentioned were, I think, printed by Eclipse and coloured by them or on their behalf. It is alleged that their was some jiggery-pokery in respect of the right to publish these reprints, but Marvelman has been a nightmare for years. Even the annuals, a peculiarly British institution, had colour covers and b&w interiors.  British comics had many different formats, shapes and sizes.  From pocket sized libraries to Marvelman size and magazine sized publications such as Eagle.  And many in between. It's a whole different world with loads of characters and creators who will be unknown to many of you.
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:54:46 PM »

I'm not sure that I can point to what leads me to this conclusion, but reading between the lines and watching the Marvelman mess for decades now, I think what happened is that even when Marvel bought the rights, they didn't know what they were buying or from whom exactly. If they are publishing these books, they clearly have rights purchased from Mick Anglo for the material that his studio created. The rights to the Eclipse published materials seem to still be in some sort of limbo, hence the fact that they are not being republished yet, even though that's the material that the largest part of the comics population wants to read.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:39:36 AM »

I'm not sure that I can point to what leads me to this conclusion, but reading between the lines and watching the Marvelman mess for decades now, I think what happened is that even when Marvel bought the rights, they didn't know what they were buying or from whom exactly. If they are publishing these books, they clearly have rights purchased from Mick Anglo for the material that his studio created. The rights to the Eclipse published materials seem to still be in some sort of limbo, hence the fact that they are not being republished yet, even though that's the material that the largest part of the comics population wants to read.

We'll finally see what MARVEL is going to do with this material this month!  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.