in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,824 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Project Superpowers / Exciting Comics (rebooted heroes) reviews

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Project Superpowers / Exciting Comics (rebooted heroes) reviews  (Read 4121 times)

gregjh

This series has been mentioned on the forum before but to my knowledge, no detailed reading or review has taken place.
Project Superpowers is a modern resurrection of the Golden Age heroes, almost all of whom are reviewed in my fizzfop reading corner (also on this forum). The writers cleverly decided to incorporate the ending and massive effects of very real wars which so defined these characters in the first place as the reason for their fall into obscurity. The series must have been at least reasonably popular as it spawned many spinoffs.

The first issue is actually available legally free on Amazon
(https://amzn.to/3xHSRJy). The more I enjoy it, the more issues I will buy, read and review. As always, feel free to join me or not.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 02:59:40 PM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Project Superpowers: The Golden Age heroes (and villains) return
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 04:22:22 AM »

I actually reviewed and nitpicked the series over on NitCentral (http://nitcentral.philfarrand.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi) but I'll repost my reviews here.

By KAM on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:39 am:

Project Superpowers Chapter One Writers Alex Ross & Jim Krueger - Artists Stephen Sadowski, Douglas Klauba, Carlos Paul & Alex Ross - Dynamite Entertainment - Color

This collects stories from Project Superpowers #0-7

Being a fan of comics I've had an interest in various comics, including Golden Age characters from publishers other than DC & Marvel, so Project Superpowers interested me because it's roster includes those Golden Age characters who have fallen into the public domain. Not quite the same as reading the original tales, but I was interested in how it would turn out.

Pretty good, actually.

The basic story is that during World War II it was discovered that Hitler had Pandora's Box (an urn actually). It's believed that in the thousands of years since Pandora opened it all the evils & hope she had released had been drawn back into the box until Hitler found it & opened it causing both his rise to power & the birth of superheroes & it was further believed that if the heroes could be drawn into the box that evil would go as well, so the Fighting Yank secretly captured most of his fellow heroes & 60 years later was told that what he did was wrong.

Breaking the urn, he & the Green Lama discover that Dynamic Man & Dynamic Boy don't want the heroes returned, but the heroes are returning around the world changed by their time in the urn.

By KAM on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 1:09 am:

Project Superpowers: Chapter Two, Volume One Writers Alex Ross & Jim Krueger - Artists Edgar Salazar, Stephen Segovia, Alex Ross, Jae Lee, John Cassaday, Lucio Parrillo, Stephen Sadowsky, Mark Texeira, Michael Golden - Dynamite - Color

This collects stories from Project Superpowers: Chapter Two #0-6

Mysteries are deepening, some people aren't who they seem to be, some returning heroes are being brainwashed to fight against other returned heroes, while others misunderstand what is going on.

Not a bad continuation of the story, but not as good as the first collection. Unfortunately with so many characters around a lot of them get short shrift & some don't even get properly identified.

Better as part of the overall storyline, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point.

By KAM on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 12:31 am:

The Death-Defying 'Devil Volume 1 Writers Alex Ross & Joe Casey - Artists Edgar Salazar, Andy Smith, Alex Ross, John Cassaday, John Romita Sr., Steven Segovia & George Tuska - Dynamite - Color

This collects stories from The Death-Defying 'Devil #1-4 & Free Comic Book Day Edition

'Devil tracks down the terrorist organization the Claw & its connection to The Claw that Daredevil fought in the 1940's, meanwhile someone who believes 'Devil to be an impostor gains superpowers & tries to fight him.

Brings back heroes Silver Streak (whose book Daredevil first appeared in) & The Ghost (who first appeared in Daredevil's original comic) & one of the Little Wise Guys (Daredevil's sidekicks).

Not bad, it does fill in a few holes I encountered in Project Superpowers Chapter 2 & sets up some interesting mysteries. (One hopes TPTB actually have answers to these questions they keep bringing up.)

Masquerade Volume 1 Writers Alex Ross & Phil Hester - Artists Carlos Paul, Jean Diaz, Manny Clark, Alex Ross, Frank Cho, John Romita Sr. & George Tuska - Dynamite - Color

This collects stories from Masquerade #1-4

The story starts after WWII & fills in the backstory of Miss Masque & her interactions with other heroes & family, up to her imprisonment in Pandora's Urn & release when she becomes Masquerade & finally answers a family mystery that had plagued her.

Not bad. Not essential to the overall Project Superpowers storyline, but it does flesh out the character more.

Black Terror Volume 1 Writers Alex Ross & Jim Krueger - Artists Mike Lilly, Alex Ross, John Romita Sr., Greg Land, George Tuska & Tim Sale - Dynamite - Color

This collects stories from Black Terror #1-4

Not bad. Is actually important to the overall Project Superpowers storyline as is fills the space between the original PS collection & "Chapter 2". Introduces the Liberators (heroes who are siding with the corrupt President West), the Inheritors (the former sidekicks & kid heroes banded together) & the heroes taking over the White House.

By KAM on Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 4:43 am:

Project Superpowers: Meet The Bad Guys Writers Alex Ross, Joe Casey & Jim Krueger - Artists Alex Ross, Jonathan Lau, Mike Lilly, Carlos Paul, Jackson Herbert & Doug Klauba - Dynamite - Color

This collects stories from Project Superpowers: Meet The Bad Guys #1-4

The Green Lama fights a new villainess called Bloodlust. (Ho-hum. She comes off like a '90s bad girl.)

The Fighting Yank deals with the Revolutionary, a directionless spirit of America. (A potentially interesting character, but future appearances will tell.)

Samson fights the god Dagon. (Seems to owe more to the H.P. Lovecraft version of Dagon than mythology.)

Scarab and the Supremacy. (More information on the world's shadow government, but not as much as I was hoping for.)

Not bad, but not essential to the series.

By Keith Alan Morgan on Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 11:07 pm:

Project Superpowers: Chapter Two Volume Two Writers Alex Ross & Jim Krueger - Artists Alex Ross, Edgar Salazar, Stephen Segovia, Jonathan Lau, Stephen Sadowski, - DC Comics - B&W

This collects stories from Project Superpowers: Chapter Two #7-12

A number of questions are answered, several plotlines come to a finish, and even a reason for the existence of superheroes is given in this volume.

A nice wrap-up to what has come before.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 04:35:54 AM »

Project Superpowers is primarily concerned with the Better/Nedor stable. These are still PD and always were, so anybody can use them and many have. There are still some new ones out there, some of them mentioned elsewhere on CB+. 
I found Project Superpowers very disappointing.
I much prefer what Alan Moore did with those characters in his 2 Terra Obscura miniseries.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/terra-obscura/4050-11144/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/terra-obscura/4050-11145/

Scrounge,did you review this one? I would like to read that. 

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 06:23:18 AM »

No. I'm not a fan of Moore's work so I haven't looked up his other stuff.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »

I've always been interested in Project Superpowers and Terra Obscura but I haven't read any of them, sadly. They are still in my to-read list.

My passion for Public Domain superheroes came from Alex Ross' wonderful art for Project Superpowers. I was already a Golden Age fan, but I just knew Marvel and DC's heroes. Those drawings made me interested in those characters and I started researching about them, and that's how I stumbled upon this site.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 02:42:48 PM »

I'm in agreement with Panther in preferring what Moore did with characters.  My main complaint with both iterations is the treatment of The Black Terror, a superhero I discovered many years ago and loved his great costume and daft adventures. I now have a few ga comics in my collection. Exciting covers, good art later on, but even at the start I found the adventures highly entertaing.  Whereas in Dynamite's books and Moore's work, The Terror isn't the Terror.  Computer simulation or a bloke with a big sword and a galleon. 
I won't go on another rant about Dynamite except to say that the idea of the urn seems familiar.  Oh, yes, A.C. Didn't they do something similar, but first?
Not enamoured of Dynamite.
The fascination with Mr. Ross and his work has somewhat passed me by.  I understand why it's popular. However, it all looks very samey and a bit lacking in emotion.  As if the figures were taken from photos.  No bad thing, I suppose - Jean Claude Claeyes springs to mind.  But to appreciate The Black Terror go to our Better/Nedor/Standard section:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=968
The earlier issues are pretty much basic superhero art of the time but the adventures are good fun.  Have a read then go to say # 24.  By this time, The Terror doesn't exhibit the super strength and invulnerability of earlier issues - mind, he might have been invulnerable but a bang on the noggin was always enough to lay him out - but many stories are drawn by Jerry Robinson and Mort Meskin and they are really well done.  George Roussos supplies some stories also. Some of you might find them old fashioned looking but i much prefer them to anything done by Mr. Ross.  But then, I am a grumpy old man.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 03:11:24 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 03:35:38 PM »

The fascination with Mr. Ross and his work has somewhat passed me by.  I understand why it's popular. However, it all looks very samey and a bit lacking in emotion.  As if the figures were taken from photos.

Yes, they are and I wish more Artists would do that or work with models which he also does and many serious artists do.
for one character he used his Father for a model. For the original Captain Marvel he uses photos of Fred MacMurry! I don't fault him technically as an artist, but I'm in agreement with Paw. After a while there is a sameness - something static - about his work. I think the work of his I like best were his covers for ASTRO CITY. I think particular work inspires and brings out the best in creative people.
I miss that series. 

Cheers!     
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 04:28:26 PM »

I think the dynamic art of the interiors and the art of the covers for a comic must not be confused and compared. Alex Ross is a great cover artist, probably the best hyper-realist comic book artist, but he doesn't work (or at least he's heavily limited) concerning the interiors.

Making a comparision between the interior art of a Golden Age comic and the cover/static art of Alex Ross is a bit forced. They are completely different types of art, and Alex Ross grew up (artistically) in a completely different environment.

I think that comic book art can't be considered all the same, there are different categories and types of art for different parts of the comic (covers, interiors...) and different eras.

Alex Ross is, in my opinion, a great artist. Not every artist must focus on dynamism and emotion, and Alex Ross mostly focuses on static poses and making the characters as much realistic as possible but still keeping the retro charm of the original costumes. It's not something that many artists could achieve: managing to make superheroes look like they were real, without reimagining completely the costumes to make them more plausible in the real world.

On the other hand, I love Golden Age art too: Jack Kirby, Mort Meskin, Basil Wolverton, Bob Fujitani, Irv Novick. I would put all these people in my list of favourite artists, including more recent ones and Alex Ross, because every artist is unique after all, and every artist tries to convey a different aspect of what he's drawing.

This was just to say that it's not a fair comparision to put Alex Ross against other artists that operated in different historical periods, with different techniques and with a different aim.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 07:11:22 PM »

Good points well made Fra.   However, we all have preferences and mine is that I prefer the Robinson/Meskin version of The Black Terror.  To me it just looks better.  But I was going on as much about the treatment of the character as the look.  I don't particularly like how he's portrayed in the Dynamite version.  I should be able to accept that this is really a different character but I'd rather not.
I'm also not sure that you can't compare artists in different periods.  Hal foster with Hans G Kresse - discuss.
Mr. Ross did grow up in a completely different age but that doesn't stop Alan Davis doing amazing active covers and big movement interiors, with humour.  Now there's a difference
Perhaps I just got very bored with Mr. Ross's sequential art. Covers are lovely, for a while, then they all look the same. It is all a bit staid. Only my opinion, you understand.
This is another good discussion on CB+ ;D
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 07:22:52 PM »

Sure Paw, I completely understand  :D

I just wanted to point out my opinion that there's some good art from every era, and that there are different types of art: dynamic art, static art, etc.

For example, I don't like Alex Ross' design for the Black Terror too (I find the sword and glowing eyes a bit unnecessary), but overall I tend to appreciate his art a lot.

After all, de gustibus non disputandum est.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 01:54:45 AM »

I think the dynamic art of the interiors and the art of the covers for a comic must not be confused and compared.

Well, A professional artist is going to do just that. Yes, Cover art is a discipline in itself, which is why some artists specialize in it. But an artist learns by looking at the work of others, so doing so is quite valid.
A creative person, Writer, Musician, Artist,Actor needs to look at the work of others to learn and grow and create her or his own vision.
Don't know if you have ever seen a visual artist's studio, but if you do you will find shelves of books and illustrations for reference.   

Examples.
Neal Adams was probably the premier cover artist for Superheroes in the 70's and he also was clearly the primarily influence on the interior art of comics even up to the present day.
Jack Kirby was a master of covers composition, as I have pointed out elsewhere. Steranko demonstrated on some of his covers that he had learned from Kirby.
Will Eisner's Spirit Splash pages and covers are unique and masterly.
Wally Wood.
Steve Ditko

Michael Kaluta's covers for the Shadow are superb, but I don't think he was an appropriate artist for the interior stories and he did a lot of them.
[if you can find them - they are not on CB+, Bob Powell's Shadow covers are amazing too.] 
[My memory is being triggered as I write!]
Don Heck's Face covers for comic media are to my eyes, amazing.
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=814
These guys also did different things.
Alex Ross's concern is primarily for heroic anatomy, as in Greek or Roman statuary.
Neal Adams is concerned with dynamic motion and hitting you in the face to get an emotional reaction.
Kirby was concerned with how to direct your eyes - to and around the cover.  The cues are subliminal.
CB+ is a smorgasbord of cover art.
Have a look at the Dell painted covers - mostly done by superb artists who also worked on covers for the Pulps. If Dell was still in business, Alex Ross, I'm sure would be working for them.   
Carl Barks was also a superb cover artist.     
This was just to say that it's not a fair comparison to put Alex Ross against other artists that operated in different historical periods, with different techniques and with a different aim. 

I don't think is about 'putting Alex Ross against other artists' really. But I also don't think Alex Ross has much to worry about.
I enjoy a lot of Alex Ross's Work, how could you not? But just not all of it.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 11:30:48 AM »

This is what I was trying to remember. This is the new EXCITING comic book by Antarctic press, which is the latest depiction of these characters.
See what you think.

Exciting Comics
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/exciting-comics/4050-117116/

There are also a couple here that may surprise you - they are not all Nedor/Better characters.

Cheers!     
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 01:17:32 PM »

We'll done AP.  I will get hold of some as I'm always curious about how old character are handled.
Going back to the Alex Ross thing, I was doing some research for an article and found illos that reminded me that Sted and Mrs. Peel were drawn into a crowd scene by Mr. Ross in Kingdom Come.  Now that is cool.  I also remembered that in a Prisoner comic, the duo are part of a group at a graveside.  And in a Doctor Who strip, Captain Britain is involved in a bar brawl and is holding Steed above his head while Mrs. Peel is tapping the good Captain on the shoulder.  Great weird crossover stuff.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 11:54:34 AM »

This is what I was trying to remember. This is the new EXCITING comic book by Antarctic press, which is the latest depiction of these characters.
See what you think.

Exciting Comics
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/exciting-comics/4050-117116/

There are also a couple here that may surprise you - they are not all Nedor/Better characters.

Cheers!     

I'm a fan of Antarctic press. I learned a lot about that, unusually, when their founders testified in a legal case of tortious interference.  Are these also GA heroes rebooted? If so, that is my next read for sure.

I am done with Issue 0 and Issue 1 of PS, review coming soon.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 01:19:56 PM »

Oh yes, these are GA heroes rebooted, and not only Nedor heroes. One cover shows what looks like a female Crimebuster. I've managed to get the first few issues and while tgere isn't that same raw vibe of a real GA comic, I've quite liked the first 2 or 3 issues.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »

As I head to the end of issue one of Project Superpower, I think it's time to switch direction. Speaking of "direction", that's what is lacking most in PS.

Issue 0 moved slowly but seemed like it might be building to something: it comprised largely of a flashback of Fighting Yank and some kind of betrayal he committed upon the other heroes of his age in order to win the war. It introduced (poorly), a new character called Spirit and suggested that Yank may be sent on some kind of pilgrimage. It was uninspiring, but suggested plot development.

Issue one, however, was just more of the same. It consisted mostly of an incredibly tedious, meandering dialogue of an old man reflecting upon his past without ever really having a point. Upon being reunited with Green Lama, the biggest news from Bandit's old friend was....Lama's meditation skills and his ability to see and hear the same dull spirits Yank has been conversing with the whole time.

I truly struggle to even guess what the writer was aiming for here. While I realize that nostalgic characters can always be renewed by new accomplices or by falling on hard times - The TV Show Cobra Kai is an example of this done absolutely perfectly - there has to be some kind of plot, end goal, adversity, injustice, hurdle, anything to keep the viewer engaged. While Yank's pilgrimage may yet have some kind of story arc contained within it, I was so dejected by the end of issue one that I just couldn't bring myself to keep reading and find out what it was.

So I will turn to Panther's suggestion of Exciting Comics for another attempt at Golden Age heroes making a come back. The only question is: Do I continue this thread or start a new one?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 05:35:06 AM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2021, 12:08:18 AM »

Ah, zero issues, the red-headed step-child of comics.

They're seen more as marketing and/or preview to a series rather than an essential part of the story. Hence they generally only give you info that is also included in issue 1. So if someone misses the zero issue, well, you didn't really miss anything that's not in an issue with a "real number".
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 01:05:20 AM »

Gregjh,
by all means continue the thread.
Fits right in with the concerns of CB+.
And I'm in complete agreement with your analysis of Project Superpowers.   
Scrounge, 'The Red-headed stepchild of comics?'
I'm not a ginger, but sometimes I could wish I was. More iron in the blood. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 06:24:09 PM »

Going back to Antarctic's Exciting Comics "revival", I don't think they are very good.  Some of the art looks like what we saw in many small press superhero comics way back.  I found some of the stories disjointed and after a while  I realised I wasn't warming to the characters.  I won't be trying any more of the run.  An interesting experiment but in the end, a bit duff.
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »

My two cents worth, I was not terribly impressed with the Project Superpowers or the Terra Obscura books. Both suffered from some of the same problems: Hero vs. hero storylines despite a plethora of villains to draw upon, and changes to the core characters. And, a personal favorite, the Fighting Yank, didn't fare well in either.

With Superpowers, somehow being in the urn resulted in costume changes and arbitrary power changes for the sake of the plot. The covers and Alex Ross character sheets were pleasant to look at. But, the various minis are all over the place and inconsistent in their treatment of the characters. The Black Terror series had potential but they decided to double down on the pirate theme which has nothing to do with the character and don't start actually delving into his secret identity or building a life for himself until its cancellation was already announced. I found the Miss Masque and the Owl minis to be better and more character driven though also flawed.

Terra Obscura read like Alan Moore lite in that for the female characters, a lot of emphasis and story revolves around their sexual lives along with a woman being sexually threatened by a "hero".

What I want and what seems too much to ask is is to see the golden-age heroes in something like Busiek's and Perez Avengers. Written and drawn on model, epic adventures and lives while saving the world from all manners of supervillain, alien and supernatural threats. With as few legacy characters and changes as possible except for places where it's already built into the character.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 08:42:50 PM »

Panther, I didn't invent the term "red-headed stepchild", it's an old term used for something unwanted. I've also come across the phrase "beaten like a red-headed stepchild" which, um, yikes! I'd assumed it was an old English saying, but maybe it's more American since you apparently never encountered it in Australia.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 11:24:55 PM »

I'd assumed it was an old English saying, but maybe it's more American since you apparently never encountered it in Australia.

Oh, I got it that it was a traditional saying, sounded vaguely familiar. Probably UK in origin. Since Red Hair, along with pale skin and freckles, is a Celtic characteristic, I would think its origin would be in Anti-Irish or Scottish sentiment. A veiled way of saying something much more scurrilous. The English language and its slang lends itself to that kind of creativity. And no, Scrounge, I don't, for a second, ascribe those kinds of sentiments to you. You used the phrase effectively in a purely contextual sense. I love language and was just bemused by the phrase itself.
Cheers!

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 02:49:49 AM »

I've tread this territory before, but I think it still bears thinking about. There has been an awful lot of re-booting old public domain characters over the last several years. Almost always the character is completely reimagined. A different costume, or a different backstory, or different supporting characters, or different powers, or a different milieu. Often all of the above. Some revivals are slicker than others, but they always make me wonder, Why bother to use this character in the first place?

The overwhelming majority of PD characters are unknown outside a small circle of fans, collectors, and creators. I could understand someone hoping to get a leg up on commercial success if the rebooted character had leftover name recognition, like the Lone Ranger or Zorro (neither PD, of course). There remain a fair number of potential readers who remember the TV Hornet or the Banderas Zorro and might try out a comic featuring those characters. But anyone who isn't a comics nerd and remembers GA public domain characters is either dead already or will be before too many more years pass. There won't be a recognition bump. Your success will depend entirely upon whether the character is interesting and the story and art are any good. Just like any new character created from the ground up.

Some years ago I bought the first few issues of a revival of Amazing Man. The art and presentation were professional; the story was adequate though it included too many modern superhero cliches. However the rebooted character had almost no connection to the Golden Age version. Time period, costume, personality, cast, powers, everything had been rejiggered. Which is fine...BUT The character would have had the same impact on the market if he'd been called The Green Glob instead. All you'd lose were the half-dozen comics geeks who knew who Amazing Man was.

So why bother doing a revival at all? The only reasons that I can imagine are (1) The new creator thinks the character is cool, but too old-fashioned. He  really believes he's working on the same character even after he's updated it beyond recognition. (2) The new creator thinks he can save time and development effort by using a pre-existing character. However he puts in so much effort reworking the character that he might as well have started from scratch. (3) A creator thinks a character would have great potential if only he were in charge. In his attempt to realize that potential the creator, who didn't really have that much new to say, reprises the Marvel/DC/Whomever ideas he grew up with.

I don't have an argument with people grabbing PDGA characters and doing whatever the heck they want with them. They're public domain, after all. I just don't see the advantage of using a PD character when the series you create has nothing in common with the original but the name.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 09:07:49 AM »

I completely agree with you, Cashryan
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 11:17:35 AM »

Crash said,
Some revivals are slicker than others, but they always make me wonder

Big subject.
One
The Silver Age was the first industry revival,
DC just brought back the same characters, changed in minor ways. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman never stopped and they were joined by the Justice League, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow and the only new one was the Martian Manhunter.
Marvel tho. was a different kettle of fish.
With Kirby's imagination, Ditko's visual flair and Stan Lee's marketing chops and ability to read the potential audience, they re-imagined the characters and placed them realistically in the 60's. So The Fantastic Four had a different Plastic Man, an Invisible woman, a very different Human Torch and a revamped Monster created by the king of the monster books. And an insect character who was grounded by his humanity.
There was nothing original about the Marvel Characters, but the context for the reimagining of these concepts was very different and you could tell that the creators cared about their creations.   
They didn't revive the Golden age, they created something new from the elements of the Golden Age.
They had always been professionals from an early age and they weren't fans in the sense that the next generation [spearheaded by Roy Thomas]  were. I also believe that one crucial fact never recognised was that by the 60's most of them had worked for a minimum of 2 decades and were mature family men. They were grounded.
What do 'fans' do. They get fixated on the characters they 'worship' and they want to lose them in the universe/world of the character. They often do 'fan fiction' and do drawings without getting any training.
Many of the 're-booting' and 're-imagining' of PD characters are therefore long on enthusiasm and short on craft.
Generally there has been no 'book' - little time spent on developing a world for the characters to inhabit and a cast of characters to give motivation and relationship. So it's hard for a reader to get hooked in the work and to keep buying the book.
The new 'Exciting' comic doesn't concentrate for long on one or two characters and develop a coherent story-line. They introduce many characters and don't have time to develop them properly.
Look at Marvel.
They started with one book, the FF. A little later the went to two and introduced Spidey. Then they tried the Hulk, that made three. But the Hulk failed at first. Gradually the monster books changed and we had half book stories of Antman, Iron Man, Thor and The Human Torch. They were already stretched creatively and the Human Torch never took off in his own book. Antman became Giantman and then Goliath, Iron Man changed his suit. Marvel kept making changes to make it right. Adapting and learning. But steady and slow.
MLJ's the Mighty Crusaders. I read that off the stands and hoped for good things. But it was clear that the creators hadn't learned much and basicity tried to recreate the 40's. There was little evidence of good editorial thinking. And Paul Reinman was absolutely the wrong choice as the artist. Dead on the page.
The 70's breakaway Atlas comics? These book also lacked good and fun writing and - to me- showed no respect for their prospective audience. None of the concepts or characters 'had legs' Just disappointing.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but you better be good and understand the original if you are going to imitate.
So I guess three things.
Understand your Audience/Market and respect them.
Have a good grasp of what stories make sense in contemporary times.  [In the 60's Vietnam war comics were not a good idea.]
Have a professional level of craftsman [person?] - ship.
It's not easy. Even Marvel have had a hard time reviving their own Golden Age characters permanently.
They have bought them back many times but always differently.
Cheers!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:08:01 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.