in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #274 - Pirates Comics 1 and Dell Famous Stories 1

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #274 - Pirates Comics 1 and Dell Famous Stories 1  (Read 2419 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #274 - Pirates Comics 1 and Dell Famous Stories 1
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2022, 08:53:04 AM »

Pirates Comics 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=21258

This cover is some kind of amazing. Never seen a better designed cover with so much action.   

The Sea Witch
Interesting and quite historically accurate to see whites as slaves, although with men as well-dressed as these, it would have been more accurate to see them held for Ransom.
Interesting story, supposedly basically true, but I'm not convinced. You can't fault the art, as art, but the story doesn't really flow. Also, we don't know for a while if we are to sympathize with Sharpe or somebody else The 'somebody else' only emerges on CB+ page 10. we know his name is Jean, from the next page, and that's it. So it's unsatisfying.
The Slave pirate
Good story.
'The Golden Eagle, symbol of Rome's might, which was to become instead, the symbol of the scourge of the sea.'  Really? New one on me.
Captain Roberts, Boy Pirate.
Well told story, but very far from the facts.,
Roberts was a real pirate, and his story here will give you an idea of what piracy was really like.
Bartholomew Roberts
https://goldenageofpiracy.org/pirates/bartholomew-roberts
The Viking Terror
Co-incidentally, [It's a small world] I have just finished a book on Roberts and am half-way through one on King Alfred. Can't verify this story because I have not got that far.
Philip Ashton - boy pirate.
Good yarn, but bears no resemblance to the real story.
Philip Ashton and the Dismal Face of Castaway Survival
https://www.oldnorth.com/blog/philip-ashton/
Full marks to the writer, who-ever he was, for doing his research, even though he only used the real stories as templates.
An excellent comic. 

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2022, 09:57:40 AM »

I didn't grow up with the usual childhood classics, my favorite reading matter was a collection of illustrated encyclopedias!

I grew up with 'Arthur Mee's Children's encyclopedia' which was a multi-volume treasure-house of information, including most of the stories, myths and legends of 'Western' history and civilization.
the pirate stories in Thriller Comics are among the best pirate stories in comics, anywhere. 

Agreed. But I will shortly get to a few more.
I have heard, I can't vouch for its veracity but it seems likely, that all of our "aarh me hearties" pirate stereotypes we have today (including Geoffrey Rush's) are based on Robert Newton's cinematic Long John Silver. Before that pirates talked like ordinary people. Sound plausible? 

Some online articles about the book claim that Stevenson also created the template for piratical dialogue.

I think you have both hit the nail on the head.Most post-treasure island depictions of pirates use Stevenson as a template. It's actually no more real than any other fiction, but that's the fictional language and imagery most used.
Pirates did have their own language, a ship is a specific physical and community environment and knowing the language shows that the speaker is 'one of us'.   
Pirates, even today are not uncommon in comic books.
I'm surprised that Paw hasn't mentioned the Phantom whose origin and many stories have to do with pirates.
In fact Frew just last month published a FLAME special. No, not that one. This one was a female who dressed as the Phantom and fought pirates and slave traders. Later became Mrs Walker.  The Singh pirates?
Robert E Howard teamed Conan with Belit, the pirate queen of the black coast. Also adapted as a comic book, and again recently I think.
Then of course, there's always Alan Moore!
https://screenrant.com/one-piece-success-watchmen-pirate-comics-prediction-moore/
An excerpt from the fictional 'Treasure Island Treasury of Comics' in Watchmen - Chapter V offers some details from the fictional history of comics in the Watchmen universe, revealing that in a world where superheroes are real, fans of pulp fiction turned to pirates instead. A Tales of the Black Freighter comic runs through Watchmen as a text within a text, 

Bur the best Pirate comics are coming out of Europe, where the genre is quite popular.
One of the best is GLENAT comics 'Black Crow' now up to 6 volumes.
https://www.glenat.com/recherche?search=Black+Crow
The artist and writer is Jean-yves Delitte who apparently is also the 'official painter of the (US?) navy.' and yes the art is to drool for and there is no reason to think that the stories lack visual accuracy.
Have a look!
https://silodrome.com/art-jean-yves-delitte/
  Jean-Yves Delitte is an artist who started out working for the famous and much beloved Tintin series of comics, he paired with writer Philippe Richelle on the Donnington series of comics in the Tintin universe that started in 1984. Over the next few years Jean-Yves worked with a series of writers to create the graphic novels The Behind the Scenes of Power, The Neptune, The New Tsars, Belem, Black Crow, and The Blood of the Cowards.

And he has also done these:-
https://www.glenat.com/bd/series/black-crow-raconte
Don't have these three yet, but I'm going to have to look for them.
So, Yo Ho Ho! me hearties! And happy pirating.   
And i will be as surprised as you will be to  see what the Blues Man has for us tomorrow!                 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 10:01:04 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2022, 07:09:54 PM »

Pirates Comics 1 (Hillman 1950)

The Sea Witch (Captain Sharpe) - 17th Century Caribbean Sea
The artwork is excellent, as is the colourisation.  There is lots of action.  This story, supposedly taken from historical annals, seems fairly realistic, but I really wonder if its details are really true to what actually happened.  I do know that Governors of Island colonies were periodically subject to attacks by marauding pirates, who sometimes banded together with other Vrijbouters (Freebooters - e.g. freelancing Buccaneers (mainly English, French, and Dutch), who had originally been "licensed" by their kings to attack any Spanish Galleons and seize booty for their Crowns treasury), but had turned rogue to attack any ship or seacoast town, for their own profit).  And several of those governors, for their own private gain, and/or for their own self preservation, made underhanded deals with the pirates which risked loss of their positions, and often forfeit of their lives.  But, I wonder if the details of this story were totally made up in this case (as a bit of historical fiction)?

Alpha, The Slave Pirate - Mediterranean Sea in Roman Times
This story, based during the time of The Roman Empire, provides a fairly unusual bit of variety in a book about sea pirates, which usually concentrate on 17th and early 18th Century Caribbean Sea activity.  Again, the artwork is excellent including the staging.  Of course, just based on its times great distance in the past, it must be an author-constructed bit of historical fiction, used to emphasize the gruesome plight of galley slaves on Roman naval vessels.  The protagonist, a Greek slave, is used, to show one possible source of how the documented Mediterranean Sea pirates of that time came about as a rebellion against Roman domination.  I assume Cincanus was a researched, actual historical figure.  But I also wonder if he actually took it upon himself to make a surprise attack on Gaul, before Julius Caesar.  I assume, based on the rocky crags where the ship crashes, that the attack was planned for the southern coast of Provence, near Massalia (the former Greek Colony (Modern Marseilles), given that only other Gaullish seacoast on The Mediterranean, Septemania (near the modern Spanish border), has all flat, sandy beaches. Given that The Romans had important trade with Massalia, it makes little sense that a Roman tribune would take it upon himself to make an ad-hoc small scale attack in that general area, just to prove his military prowess and gain notoriety for his military career.  This seems especially inaccurate, given that that area became a Roman province in 121 B.C.E., during the time of The Roman Republic, after The Romans had been requested by The Greeks to help keep The Gauls from harassing them, starting in 181 B.C.E.; and Cincanus' Roman soldiers' armour and uniforms are those of the Time of The Roman Empire, a few hundred years later.  I also find it ironic, that, in order to provide a "feeling" of ancient speech, the author uses a few English old-fashioned words, like "Aye" (which are actually still used today in Scots), whereas, using the well-known Italian and Spanish, "si", to approximate the Latin, or the Latin "sic" would have been more effective, and made more sense.  I never did understand the use of a corresponding old-fashioned speech in one's own language, to pretend that the foreigners are speaking an old-fashioned form of their own, totally unrelated language.  Why not just sprinkle in a few of the most common words of the actual foreign language, that are most likely known by many of the viewers or readers?  In any case, this story was a refreshing change from the usual pirate story.

Captain Roberts - Boy Pirate -  17th Century Caribbean Sea and East Indies
This story attempts to explain the beginnings of Black Bart's seagoing career.  I find it difficult to believe that Roberts was already walking the plank, when he was saved by a miracle, that the pirate captain of his ship was accidentally killed just at the second before he was to be thrown into the sea (probably assumed to be shark-infested waters).  This appears to be a legend made up to aggrandize the image of Bartholomew Roberts, to whitewash his unsavoury deeds as a pirate lawbreaker, and make him a folk hero.  It is difficult to believe that a totally honest, and highly-principled young man would be forced to become a pirate against his will, because he had absolutely no alternative to survive. I find it interesting that he told his crew to head their ship TO "The East Indies, and immediately in the next panel, they are off the coast of Hispaniola (in The West Indies).  So, the uncompromising, moralist, young man, ended up  sink over 400 ships, became "the most notorious pirate of them all".  I guess he felt that serving his king by stealing wealth from The Spanish Empire (mortal enemy of The English Crown) was on the morally high ground.

Long Ben Avery - Text Story - Late 16th or 17th Century Indian Ocean

A good tale.  I wonder how much of it is true and how much is guessed? 

The Viking Terror - The North Sea during The Middle Ages
A Viking underling (Rholf) murders his ship's captain, takes command, and immediately attacks a Saxon treasure ship.  He continues raiding the East Coast of England, until its king, Alfred, places a bounty on his head, and sends his royal fleet after him.  Rholf, to this point, shown with only his single longship, seems to defeat King Alfred's entire navy, still seemingly with his one ship, with Alfred stating "The future of England lies at stake this day."  After The Saxons send out fire ships to burn Rholfs now-visible fleet of longships, Rholf directs his fleet to head for the north shores of Gaul (Which would have been called Frankland at that time).  So, we are to be witnessing The Normans' first landing on the shores of Normandy.  And why should one of Rholf's men complain that they are "men of the sea", and shouldn't SETTLE in that foreign land, when their leader only mentioned they should rest there while repairing their ships?  Methinks the author is trying to connect this, particular chosen scenario with too many known historical events.  And the English old-fashioned "Aye" is again used, when almost all English speakers know that "yes" in any of the Scandinavian tongues is the word "ja".  Clearly, this is a ridiculously simplified version of the general history of The Norsemen (mostly Norwegians) first making marauding attacks on the coast of what is now Normandy, and eventually mostly Danes gaining a foothold on tat land, and starting to colonize it.  And many years later, The West Frankish king dubbing the Dane, Rolf (Rollo) Duke of Normandy (the major area of Danish settlement), as a fiefdom of his kingdom, condensing the events of a few hundred years into, perhaps, what seems to be a few months, and what was achieved by some thousands of sailors and soldiers, as well as many more thousands of settlers (farmers, tradesmen, etc) over that long period.  And the author even connected that to The Normans conquering England a few hundred years later, by Rolf making his son take an oath for his family to eventually take over suzerainty of England.  Gadzooks!

All-Time Super Teams - Sports One-Pager
Ha! Ha!  Talk about non-sequiturs!  This short feature seems terribly out of place sitting in this book.  I DO, however, love the hockey reference to The Cleveland Barons of The AHL.  Almost NONE of the Americans reading this book would have even known there was a hockey team in Cleveland, let alone a long-time league champion.  What also isn't known, is that The Cleveland Barons, were, at that time, the number one farm team of The Montreal Canadiens, before Les Habitants turned The former semi-pro (amateur Senior mens league) Quebec Aces into their number one farm team.

Philip Ashton - Boy Pirate Fighter of The Old World - Mediterranean Barbary Coast of North Africa
It was reasonably innovative to add a Barbary Coast Pirate tale to the geographical mix of stories in this book, and they did show their penchant for kidnapping wealthy Europeans and demanding heavy ransoms for their release,  But, somehow, I was disappointed by the seeming lack of action in this story.  There is too much explanation in narrative and dialogue, as a proportion of its pages and panels, at the expense of the potential amount of action.

Overall Book Assessment

Despite my points of criticism, this book was an enjoyable and entertaining read, with well-above average artwork, staging and colourisation, and lots of entertaining action.  And it had an extra plus for history fans, like myself, in that, at least, the settings were basically and broadly based on actual historical circumstances and events.  Still and all, I contend that such short page counts make it difficult for authors to develop the settings and introduce, define, and develop the characters and their relationships to each other, and develop the story plot, and do all that with normally desired (e.g. proper) pacing.  If I were to have my druthers, there would have been one story per 52-page book, for each of the featured pirate's life and career.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 11:33:23 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2022, 07:34:15 PM »

I envision Long John Silver as an above average height with a broad shouldered but gaunt frame. A man once beefy and strong but worn down by age and suffering. His penchant for bulky coats is in great part vanity, wishing to obscure his diminishing frame and partly conceal the extent of his amputation.
In those days the stump of an amputated leg often required being trimmed every few years as bone ends worked against the remaining flesh. About that time frame a Dutch surgeon invented a method for properly sealing the end of the stump so this became un necessary.
A leg cut off so close to the hip would likely lead to an early and painful death. Not to mention the restriction of mobility. A peg leg would have to be braced on the body as much as the hip, and a crutch would be a necessity even with a peg leg, so it would be very uncomfortable and awkward  to travel far on foot especially over rough ground.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2022, 08:10:59 PM »

I envision Long John Silver as an above average height with a broad shouldered but gaunt frame. A man once beefy and strong but worn down by age and suffering. His penchant for bulky coats is in great part vanity, wishing to obscure his diminishing frame and partly conceal the extent of his amputation.
In those days the stump of an amputated leg often required being trimmed every few years as bone ends worked against the remaining flesh. About that time frame a Dutch surgeon invented a method for properly sealing the end of the stump so this became un necessary.
A leg cut off so close to the hip would likely lead to an early and painful death. Not to mention the restriction of mobility. A peg leg would have to be braced on the body as much as the hip, and a crutch would be a necessity even with a peg leg, so it would be very uncomfortable and awkward  to travel far on foot especially over rough ground. 

An interesting bit of information, and insight.  Silver certainly wouldn't have gotten around as nimbly as it appeared in most of his portrayals.  But, I seem to remember Wallace Beery complaining to either his pirate colleagues on their way to look for the burial spot of Flint's treasure, or to Jim when they were running, that it wasn't so easy for him to keep up having to manipulate his crutch even to the best of his ability.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2022, 10:43:33 PM »

Silver certainly wouldn't have gotten around as nimbly as it appeared in most of his portrayals.

Another interesting fact mentioned in the book but not, to my knowledge, in comics or movies, is that Silver had strung a couple of ropes up on deck. He used them to get around quickly. I'm not sure this would make sense in real life, since ropes strung across the deck would get in the way of the crew moving about. Or maybe Stevenson meant that the ropes hung from above and Silver used them to swing short distances. Not like Tarzan, but such a rope might lift him up a couple of inches so he could swing a couple of feet forward then let go. To tell the truth, when I think it over any kind of rope thing would look kind of silly. Just as well it was left out of adaptations.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2022, 12:06:31 AM »

I'm not sure this would make sense in real life, since ropes strung across the deck would get in the way of the crew moving about. Or maybe Stevenson meant that the ropes hung from above and Silver used them to swing short distances. Not like Tarzan, but such a rope might lift him up a couple of inches so he could swing a couple of feet forward then let go. To tell the truth, when I think it over any kind of rope thing would look kind of silly. 
'
Actually, Stevenson may have got this idea from talking to seamen.
Ropes were a common item on ships, especially sailing ships, and using them involved many skills.
Sails and Ropes go together.
I worked on Tugboats as a deckhand for a short time just after I left High School, and we met Tankers and Container ships at sea and threw a small rope - weighted at one end - up to the ship, the much larger rope was tied to it, we pulled it in and tied it to the bollard - all in moving seas and both vessels moving and then tired on - with a correct knot - and commenced the tow.
Also having ropes to hold onto on the deck of a ship - moving up and down [sometimes just dropping heavily]  and sideways in rough seas, would have been quite sensible.
He wouldn't need to put them across the deck, but use them in parallel to make passages. 

ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.