in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #275 Jet Powers (IW)

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #275 Jet Powers (IW)  (Read 2737 times)

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #275 Jet Powers (IW)
« on: July 10, 2022, 05:23:15 PM »

I hope you'll forgive me for getting off to an early start with this one, blame the current UK heatwave! ;)

It's back to the superhero/sci-fi this week with Gardner Fox? and Bob Powell's Jet Powers, Captain of Science. I realise he's already known to crash and The Panther, but hopefully they won't mind reading his adventures one more time for little old me. ;D

I've used the cheap old IW versions simply because I prefer the colour of the scans we have (the original versions seem a bit stark) and of course out of nostalgia, as that's the way I first read them.
I hope you enjoy them, let me know what you think.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=40343

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=62058

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #275 Jet Powers (IW)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 03:24:35 AM »

It's back to the superhero/sci-fi this week with Gardner Fox? and Bob Powell's Jet Powers, Captain of Science. I realise he's already known to crash and The Panther, but hopefully they won't mind reading his adventures one more time for little old me. ;D

I've used the cheap old IW versions simply because I prefer the colour of the scans we have (the original versions seem a bit stark).

K1ngcat 

The original colouring on the ME book pages is absolutely terrible.  Not only are they the wrong colours on many patches of inanimate objects and living things, but, overall the general colour impression is dull and grayish.  Lots of pinks and lavenders, and light green, and light brown.  Nothing stands out.  It reminds me of the terrible colouring used by Gold Key Comics.  I couldn't ascertain what was going on in the panels because the colours were so very far from natural, and what we see in everyday life.  Worse yet, adjacent areas of completely different objects were coloured the same colour, making it difficult to find the characters and inanimate objects.  The IW colouring is significantly better, but yet still very poor, with late 1960s style colouring, with great washes of a single colour over several different adjacent objects, and no bright colours, at all.  That takes a lot of my enjoyment out of my reading, because it is not what I came to think comic books are, and it is a hard chore to follow the story (which is why I stopped buying new comic books in the early 1960s.

We DO have a rare bonus, however, that ALL of the comics pages that were in the original books are in The IW books, as well.  ALL of the IW books contained 36 pages.  But many of them reprinted Golden Age books that contained 52 pages.  So, a few stories and other features were often left out.  In addition, Waldman's IW and Super Comics were issued in 1958-59, and 1963-64, when a higher % of comic book pages were used for advertising than had been used for that purpose back during the 1940s and early 1950s.  So even a few more comics pages were lost.  So, we don't have that, particular disadvantage, as we would if these were reprints of stories from 52-page books whose original issues were not available to read on CB+.

I'm hoping that the stories in these 2 books will be well-written, and entertaining.  The artwork seems reasonably good.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 04:08:59 AM »

Jet Power #1

I see the cover was done by Reissue. Is he related to the New England Reissues?  ;)

This Is Jet Powers - The opening reminded me a little of Centaur's The Masked Marvel which made me wonder if this might be a rewritten, unused Centaur script, probably not, most likely both were inspired by some earlier fiction, but interesting. How does Jet know Sinn & Su Shan's names there at the end? Off-panel introductions?

The Man in the Moon! - Why didn't Jet handcuff/tie up/lock up Su Shan? Jet just leaps from his ship to the satellite??? No tether, no jet pack, no common sense? Oh, my goodness. Jet opens the hatch which leads directly into the satellite, but no oxygen appears to blow out. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Why are the meteors turning inside the ship?

The Desert Devils! - What are those objects over the robot's dome? There are no planets close enough to Mars to see them in the sky like that. The powers been on for ten-thousand years and everything is working fine??? Talk about built to last.

The Thing from the Meteor! - Does Jet sublet his hole in the ground from Bugs Bunny? Maybe the villain should have been Marvin the Martian? Jet just happens to have a can of paint in his flyer? Saving the world with DDT. *snicker*

I like the black & white ad selling color photos. What a way to show off your product. ;-)
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 04:13:34 AM »

I'm hoping that the stories in these 2 books will be well-written, and entertaining.

Well, I found them to be entertaining, but not exactly well-written.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 04:42:06 PM »

I'm hoping that the stories in these 2 books will be well-written, and entertaining.

Well, I found them to be entertaining, but not exactly well-written.

So not prepared to credit Gardner Fox then??  ;D
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 09:12:14 PM »

While I like Gardner Fox (his 2-part Three Demons story from Justice League of America #10 & 11 is still my favorite Justice League story) he had his limitations. Have you read his sword & sorcery novels? I tried. His attempts at comedy stories did not put me at risk for bursting my sides laughing. And while his superhero, sci-fi, & detective stories at DC were usually good, his work for other publishers was not quite as good. So possibly he did better work with tougher editors, whereas lesser editors let more goofy stuff slip by.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 11:52:13 PM »

While I like Gardner Fox (his 2-part Three Demons story from Justice League of America #10 & 11 is still my favorite Justice League story) he had his limitations. Have you read his sword & sorcery novels? I tried. His attempts at comedy stories did not put me at risk for bursting my sides laughing. And while his superhero, sci-fi, & detective stories at DC were usually good, his work for other publishers was not quite as good. So possibly he did better work with tougher editors, whereas lesser editors let more goofy stuff slip by.

I bow to your superior knowledge, SS. The only experience I've had of Mr Fox's writing is limited to his work for DC, where, as you said, his stuff was usually good, or at least what I considered good when I was about eleven. Pretty much gave up on DC when Marvel started up with superheroes...
Thanks for your input,
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 12:02:54 AM »

The original colouring on the ME book pages is absolutely terrible.  Not only are they the wrong colours on many patches of inanimate objects and living things, but, overall the general colour impression is dull and grayish.

We DO have a rare bonus, however, that ALL of the comics pages that were in the original books are in The IW books, as well.

I'm hoping that the stories in these 2 books will be well-written, and entertaining.  The artwork seems reasonably good.

Glad to know you be share my distaste for the colouring on the ME versions, Robb, and yes, it's a rare treat for IW to print all the pages of the original. I still think the Powell art is pretty nifty, as for the quality of the stories I wouldn't be surprised if you share Super Scrounge's views! ;)

Looking forward to your analysis
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 01:59:00 AM »

Jet Power #2

The Three-Million-Year-Old Men! - What a nice guy. Drugging his friends and sending them into the future. Gee golly whillikers. *rolls eyes*

Why does it seem like almost every story involving time travel testing involves sending the machine/subjects hundreds of years, or more, in time why not an hour or two to see if it actually works (Back To The Future got it right sending a dog & a watch a few minutes into the future.)

Now Su Shan works for Jet??? Bwha? (What was the job interview like? Jet: What are your qualifications? Su: I'm a hot chick in a skimpy outfit. Jet: Good enough for me.)

The title doesn't make sense the Kroog are from three million years in the future, not three million years old.

The House of Horror! - Wait, Su Shan was NOT working for Jet, but he's been letting her have free reign of his headquarters and all his equipment???

Why couldn't Su Shan have been wearing a paper dress when she drove into that light. Whoops! Did I type that out loud?

I found it funny that the man whose weapon destroys money will accept money. And what would happen if the government just uses something else for money, like plastic?

The villain and his weapon seems like someone from a Spirit story who wandered into this book by accident.

Wouldn't it make more sense to focus his graviton ray on the ceiling rather than the bars?

A TERMITE bomb? Was that supposed to be thermite or were they going for a pun?

The Invisible Death! - A fast, fun little tale, but not without it's nits.

What a coincidence that Space Ace & Storm were both seeking the Diamond Ocean at the same time.

Why would the Jumping Mountains be an impediment to a space-faring civilization? Just land a spacecraft near the ocean.

As for the infra-red rays, use remote-controlled drones or robots.

Of course all those diamonds would reduce the price of diamonds since there is now a surplus.

The Metal Monsters! - Interesting how all the stories tie in with the other stories in the issue.

Magnets, acid, x-rays, but no lasers to melt the metal men?

Despite my nits I did enjoy reading these issues. Okay, sometimes the joy came from ripping apart the flaws and making fun of it, but hey everyone has different tastes.  ;) In some cases these stories just needed a good rewrite.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 03:13:22 AM »

Jet Power #2

The Three-Million-Year-Old Men! - What a nice guy. Drugging his friends and sending them into the future. Gee golly whillikers. *rolls eyes*

Why does it seem like almost every story involving time travel testing involves sending the machine/subjects hundreds of years, or more, in time why not an hour or two to see if it actually works (Back To The Future got it right sending a dog & a watch a few minutes into the future.)

Not enough dinosaurs or bald guys with huge heads to hold the average comic book fan's interest. Furry bikinis also help move the story along.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 06:08:44 PM »

Jet Power #2

Not enough dinosaurs or bald guys with huge heads to hold the average comic book fan's interest. Furry bikinis also help move the story along.

You make a good point, Captain. Much as I like the Powell art, it would've been fun to see how Wood & Orlando handled the same assignment!  :D

BTW, SS, in all fairness to that "nice guy" Ezra Walters, he probably hadn't intended to send his drugged friends quite that far, he just didn't bank on going into a coma! ;)
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 01:44:07 AM »

Has anybody done a book or something on the wheeler dealers like Waldman? Comic book publishing always reminds me of the sharpies who made those one hit wonders or attempted one hit wonders in the 50?s. You know, sleazy, just like Australian Panther says.

Kingcat, I used to read comics during our heatwaves here in Ontario that had covers torn off and sold four to the plastic pack, lord knows where they came from. This brought me right back to that. And you can?t beat Bob Powell for gizmos or beautiful women. (Don't you love how they always wore those stretchy one piece disco dance outfits??)

If you hadn?t told me Fox wrote the stories I never would have guessed. But I liked THIS IS JET POWERS. It had the best parts of the LOST CITY serial and MASK OF FU MANCHU. And no nasty production code to slow things down.

Hey, you guys are smarter than I am. What?s the joker in the deck with the towels? Really thin? Just the size of maybe 2 face cloths? And man, I hope there is a special place in Hell for anybody who sent tiny dogs and monkeys through the mail. That?s nasty.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 06:01:21 PM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 04:22:52 AM »

I hope there is a special place in Hell for anybody who sent tiny dogs and monkeys through the mail. That's nasty.

And surely illegal?
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2022, 06:54:08 AM »

1Has anybody done a book on something on the wheeler dealers like Waldman? Comic book publishing always reminds me of the sharpies who made those one hit wonders or attempted one hit wonders in the 50?s. You know, sleazy, just like Australian Panther says.

Kingcat, 2 I used to read comics during our heatwaves here in Ontario that had covers torn off and sold four to the plastic pack, lord knows where they came from. This brought me right back to that. And you can?t beat Bob Powell for gizmos or beautiful women. (Don?t you love how they always wore those stretchy one piece disco dance outfits??)

If you hadn?t told me Fox wrote the stories I never would have guessed. But I liked THIS IS JET POWERS. It had the best parts of the LOST CITY serial and MASK OF FU MANCHU. And no nasty production code to slow things down.

Hey, you guys are smarter than I am. What?s the joker in the deck with the towels? Really thin? Just the size of maybe 2 face cloths? And man, I hope there is a special place in Hell for anybody who sent tiny dogs and monkeys through the mail. That?s nasty.

1 If I remember correctly, there is a one or two extra large pages blurb about Waldman and his questionable comic book shenanigans in the 1950s volume of "The American Comic Book Chronicles", published by TwoMorrows publishing.  I haven't bought that book because it contains well over 1000 pages, and is bound to have its pages separate and fall out from the binding after a given number of book openings.  But the 1935-39, 1940-44, and 1945-49 volumes are excellent resources (a must for any Golden Age fan).  I wish they had divided the 1950s volume into 3 volumes, or, at least 2. I'd surely have bought them all.

2  Can you tell us in which years you were finding the plastic packs of 4 comic books, and also from which era they came, and whether or not they ALL had been distributed by the same Canadian distributor, or repacking publisher.  And in what type of retail outlets were you finding them? (newsstands, novelty shops?  Discount stores?)   Or had they even all been series published by the same publisher?  I remember seeing packs like that in Winnipeg during the late 1950s and the beginning of the 1960s. 

If I remember correctly, sometimes they were all US import series published by the same Canadian publisher or distributor.  Other times they were  series from various publishers and distributors.  Other times there were even US issues among them.  I have no idea who was packaging them and marketing them.  But, perhaps it was someone doing in Toronto what Waldman had done in New York, - pouncing on old warehouse publisher distress (going-out-of-business) sales, especially those of Bell Features in 1953, and Superior Publishing in 1956, or buying the remaining stock of a warehouse of one of the major multi-publisher distributors.  Such occurrences might account for those packs I saw in the late 1950s.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 06:15:40 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2022, 08:50:07 AM »

Jet Power 1
Don't recognize the cover artist. May have been Andru and Esposito, who did a lot of Waldman's covers.
A collection of IW reprint covers would be interesting.
This is Jet Powers.
Here is another villain that is PD which could be used in the PD Justice League.
Another modeled on Fu ManChu.
Very Gardner Fox ideas and very wordy because he usually was.
Some interesting 'scientific' ideas, more so than in most comics of this ilk.
Excellent Powell Art.
The Man in the Moon or Part 2.
Why Su Shan would be loyal to Mr Sinn after he kicked her out of his plane, I don't know.
More of the same. Fox concentrates on science in these stories and there are no people shown as being personally affected by Mr Sinn's actions.
Space Ace.
This guy is different. Hero, Pirate and Entrepreneur. Solves the problem and then makes 'millions of dollars' profit.   This guy makes Booster Gold look like an amateur!
The thing from the meteor.
Again, the story is all science, no human interaction. Love the fact that he defeated the alien with DDT!
Gardner Fox was obviously familiar with War of the Worlds!
Without someone as good as Powell, this book would be quite boring.     

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2022, 09:32:40 AM »

Jet Power 2
Grey Morrow cover, as Crash has pointed out.
I see I already commented on IW's covers back in 2021. 
Given that IW reprinted Plastic Man and Doll Man, its quite cheeky of them to have put a 'Quality' sublogo  on the book.
This must have been before DC owned those characters.   
The three-million year-old men.
Interesting Time Travel story. Seems Gardner Fox saw this character as more of a chance to tell 'science' stories than Planet Comics style adventure stories.
The House of Horror.
Fox doesn't seem to know what to do with Su Shan (Susan?). In the last story she seems to be with Jet willingly, in this story, she 'escapes'. Was he keeping her prisoner?
Bit of a mess, this story. The bad guy has a weapon with which he can blackmail banks, because he can turn money to powder. So what does he want? 'Banks will hand over millions, not to lose billions.' He didn't think to ask for Gold Bars? And  Jet doesn't get his gun out the minure he sees the Gorillas?
And boy, is Su Shan fickle!
Space Ace
The 'Additional Information' boxes isn't sure whether to credit Gardner Fox with the Space Ace stories. Understandable, as they are quite different types of narratives. This guy is definitely an ancestor of Booster Gold, even to the yellow costume.
And by the way, the art on these stories has a definite Wayne Boring feel to it. No I doubt it's him but it has some of his characteristics.
The metal monsters.
Very nice story, except why transport sentient robots in viking longboat-like sailing ships? 
All great fun, and wonderful art to look at.
Thanks Kingcat!       

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2022, 04:45:30 PM »

Robb K; I remember them as American, but THAT means nothing..like you say, somebody in Toronto could have ran off a batch or just bagged some warehouse finds after he tore off the covers.
It was a discount store, wooden floor and really out there novelty stuff. Four comics to the bag, the way that DC sold them in K-Mart. There were Archie clones, super heroes I can't even remember, and cowboys and love stories...and sci-fi with the ladies in the stretchy outfits. Even a King Kong ripp off at one time.

We are talking '66 to '69. I remember one was a Harvey SPIRIT reprint that had the cover torn off. Discovered Will Eisner. Changed my life.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 06:02:39 PM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »

Robb K; I remember them as American, but THAT means nothing..like you say, somebody in Toronto could have ran off a batch or just bagged some warehouse finds after he tore off the covers.
It was a discount store, wooden floor and really out there novelty stuff. Four comics to the bag, the way that DC sold them in K-Mart. There were Archie clones, super heroes I can ?t even remember, and cowboys and love stories...and sci-fi with the ladies in the stretchy outfits. Even a King Kong ripp off at one time.

We are talking ?66 to ?69. I remember one was a Harvey SPIRIT reprint that had the cover torn off. Discovered Will Eisner. Changed my life.

I was living in The US by 1966, and no longer buying or looking for comic books, in any case.  I stopped buying comic books around the end of 1963 (other than the few remaining Carl Barks Disney Gold Key issues).  I visited Winnipeg for a month or so in summer, but didn't look for comics then,  So, all I knew about comic books in Canada at that time was that they were mostly actual American issues, and American insides, repackaged by Canadian publisher/distributors, with Canadian advertising.

As for Waldman and his bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping colleagues who found much of their unsold sale stock and old artwork printing plates at warehouse and publishers going-out-of-business distress sales, I know a lot about those that operated in the 1950s (I.W./Super Comics, Norlen Publishing, Green Publishing), but know nothing about any operating in the 1960s or later (other than Waldmans second run with his Super Comics in 1962-64 (which were mainly reprinting of his 1958-59 I.W. runs)).  Robert Farrell's Ajax Publishing reprinted much of Star Publishing's, and some Fox Features and Novelty Press material.  But, I believe he not only purchased the plates to those books, but also legally purchased in those distress sales, the rights to print them.   It seems reasonable that Green's printings may have been legal, as well.  Whereas, the legality of many of Waldman's and Norlen's printings are questionable. 

Charlton also did some reprinting of 1940s material of several genres, probably buying the plates at distress sales.  And in addition, when Al Fago took over as Chief Editor (at least of the Funny Animal/Childrens Comics at Charlton(if not as Chief Editor of their entire Comic Book Production), he brought with him all the plates he still had in his possession from his former publishing partnerships and unsold/unused freelance books he had drawn up early before unexpected termination of partnerships, or his own failed 1940s series.  That explains why there are early and mid-1940s stories drawn for unissued 1945 and 1946 issues of "Kiddie Kapers" because of the unexpected breakup of Fagos partnership with Robert Farrell, and stories he had drawn for one or another New York comic book cartoon studio, but never sold because he moved on to other work, and also a handful of mid 1950s stories he had drawn for a few of his own Fago Publishing series, tossed into Charlton books issued in the late 1950s.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 06:11:07 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2022, 09:59:25 PM »

Kingcat, I used to read comics during our heatwaves here in Ontario that had covers torn off and sold four to the plastic pack, lord knows where they came from.

Don't know about the plastic bagging, but here in the states I used to get a bunch of coverless comics at flea markets, sometimes a batch would be tied up with twine.

The reason for being coverless is that newsstands and other places that sold comics could get a refund on unsold comics from the publishers by sending the covers back. the rest of the issue was supposed to be recycled, but a number of places would sell off the coverless comics for a cheaper price.

That's why you can find a notice in some comics about how if you bought the comic missing a cover it was theft or something (been a while since I've actually read one of those notices, so I don't remember the exact wording.)
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2022, 12:41:20 AM »

Phew, do you guys know how to build up the suspense!  Well, thanks for all coming back on the topic, you leave me with a lot of stuff to address here.

Firstly, Morgus, when I said the writing was by Gardner Fox? the question mark wasn't mine, that's the best guess they offer on GCD.  I get the impression the Panther detects traces of Fox's style in the stories, particularly the wordiness, always a trait of his, so it does seem likely, but there's no guarantees! IW also gave me my first glimpse of The Spirit, not to mention Plastic Man, Doll Man, Phantom Lady, and Rulah. Life-changing to say the least.

And yes, Su Shan is certainly one foxy lady, even if she doesn't always know where her loyalties lie. I love the surprise on Jet's face when she kisses him, apparently he's one of the old style heroes who's strong, brave and gallant but has no idea those qualities might appeal to the opposite sex!

Panther, Mr Sinn is definitely a Fu(ture) Man Chu, I would have happily seen him continue as Jet's arch enemy for the whole run of the title, and anyone who wants to exploit this PD villain in the present day can do so with my blessing. I totally get your comparison between Space Ace and Booster Gold, and the Wayne Boring reference particularly on Ace's flying poses.

SuperScrounge, yes in Man in the Moon Jet leaps to the satellite without a jet pack or a tether, I think we're lucky Powell saw fit to give him a space suit and helmet! Mr Sinn plainly has a force field across the hatch that allows men and meteorites in, without letting the oxygen out. It probably needs more work. But if I came across a hot chick in a skimpy outfit, I wouldn't need to see the rest of her CV, even if it turns out she does have problems with committment!

And Robb, thanks for all the insight into the firms who specialised in reprinting and re-packaging, I only have my own experience of IW and I still owe them big time for introducing me to so many classic characters and artists, so I'm prepared to overlook their illegalities. I don't really know how American comics used to come into the UK in the 50s & 60s, I just remember having a shop on one corner that sold IW comics and another opposite that sold Charlton, though they both stocked DC. It was comic book heaven for me in my childhood.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this group, and I'm glad many of you found Jet Powers worth a read, for me it's Powell's art that carries it, though the Gray Morrow cover on no.2 has a lot going for it too.

Looking forward to tomorrow's choice,
All the best,
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2022, 08:34:05 AM »

Jet Power 1 Drawn by Bob Powell and Lawrence Woromay, possibly written by Gardner Fox

I must say that this book was well drawn.  Unfortunately, the colourisation is terrible (although twice as good as that of the ME original).  Still, it is difficult to see what is going on in the panels because of that. I like that Powers is portrayed as a scientist and inventor, and not just an adventurer.  This book is much more interesting than the groping attempts by the novice writers and artists of the early 1940s, whose so-called "science fiction" has little science and mostly fantasy that has little to do with what we modern readers know of The Universe in which we live.  Super Scrounge and the other posters above have made most of the points I would have brought up, so this will be more brief than my usual reviews.

This Is Jet Powers - Intro Chapter
I like the opening, showing snippets of the earthquake disasters.  I also like the author having added Powers note pad, which can be used to teach readers some real-life information, that, at least, might get them something to talk about at dull cocktail parties.  Interesting that the author has presaged the videophone.

Mr. Sinn is an interesting villain - A Materialistic, sadistic Tibetan, who lives in a palace in The Himalaya Mountains of Tibet, whose almost entire population believe in an ascetic, non-materialistic and pacifistic form of Bhuddism.  But wait....  his skin is green!  He's not a local.  He must be an alien being from another planet, as there are no humanoids, or primates, for that matter, known to have green skin.   He wants to enslave humankind to do his bidding, and engineered bringing Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin to power. 

So, Mr. Powers has the oft-used air/land/sea vehicle, eh?  To be expected in the early 1950s, I suppose.  He already was flying over The Himalayas, and yet he goes out of his way southward and eastward, to Indochina, and to walk back there, likely over a 1,000 miles, just so he isn't seen approaching the villains palace???  That is too ridiculous.  A gravitron gun that "releases the mass of matter".  I'm sure there is a way to explain that it lowers significantly the specific gravity of any object its ray penetrates.  Somehow, I do not believe that seeing any combination of coloured lights would drive a person mad.  So Jet makes a stun gun out of unused machine parts in a few minutes, and busts open a wall that allows the nearby river to flow into the underground palace, and destroy Sinns lab.Sinn has built a palace inside a mountain, which lies adjacent to a river in a high mountain valley, or in the foothills of The Tibetan Plateau.  Powers uses his graviton on the machinery that creates the earthquakes, lifting it high, and letting it crash to the ground destroying it.  Good that the author refrained from attempting to explain how such a small amount of machinery could cause mega earthquakes many thousands of miles away on other continents.  Sinn, trying to get away, pushes his loyal accomplice, Su Shan, ostensibly, to her death.  Maybe good help is always easy to find?

Jet Powers - The Man In The Moon

Sinn has laboratories strewn all over The World, in case some get destroyed.  He has a man-made tiny "moon".  How much food and water could fit in that tiny spherical vehicle/satellite, that is seemingly no larger than a bathyscaphe?  Su Shan takes a drug to lose her memory, so she cannot reveal any information to help Powers.  Does a drug like that exist?  Sinn can look anywhere on Earth from any single place because he can warp light.  And he can read lips, so he can understand what anyone, anywhere is saying.  Does he understand fluently EVERY language of the important military nations?  If two people are speaking face to face can he move his equipments view to see the speaker whose back was facing him a second before, while he was reading the lips of the other?  How does he know where to aim his machine?  So, Su Shan is still Powers enemy, even though Sinn tried to kill her.  Maybe The Americans supported a ruthless dictator who had her parents killed?  Nice suspense at the end of this chapter with Sinn in his satellite, hurling towards Earth, seemingly to be burned to death by the heat from the friction.

Space Ace - The Desert Devils

Strange to call a given area on a planet that is totally desert, a "desert".  I can understand that in the early 1950s the author has canals bringing water from the polar ice caps, and plant life exists there after it has been colonised.  But saying that the deserts on Mars are too hot, seems wrong.  Space Ace is doing one heck of a lot of talking while a bunch of flame-shooting robots are trying to burn him to cinders.  All those large text balloons just kill the action.  I would be fired if I put all that text in an action scene!  And there is even a large narrative caption explaining what is happening in the panel, we can see with our own eyes!  That is a BIG No-No!  The worst thing about that is that virtually EVERYTHING he says is completely unnecessary to understanding the story.  It is also too unbelievable that ALL the robots shooting at him at once ALL miss every shot.  Also, there is very little action shown.  The poses are mainly standing with the robots arms bending forward to shoot.  I would have shown Space ace diving and contorting his body to evade the spraying flames.  It almost makes one believe that this artist and this writer had been paid by a competitor chief editor to sabotage sales of this issue!  Soon, inside the robots underground cave, Space Ace finds the Human manipulator of the robots.  He is dead, and Ace says he has been dead for 10,000 years, but the dry desert air has preserved him like an Egyptian mummy.  Yet, in the panels, he is drawn like any healthy living person.  He shows no sign of his skin desiccating from the dryness for such an extremely long period.  He should be all wrinkled and shrivelled.  Again, almost every panel has half to two-thirds of it taken up by text balloons.  And Ace is talking to the reader to provide information.  And THIS is the climax page!!! He simply flips a handle, which turns off the machine, and the robots stop dead.  What a horribly weak climax!  Then, we have a boring epilogue where Ace is congratulated for his generosity in giving up some of his reward money to the families of the burned-up men. 

Jet Powers - The Thing From The Meteor

It is interesting that an insect-type of alien being has deliberately travelled to Earth in a meteor shower, to become a scout for making it easier for his entire people to follow him there and to conquer the planet.  I assume that the alien only has the basic outer shape of a grasshopper/locust flying insect, but not a similar physical structure, because the current amount (%) of oxygen in this planets atmosphere, and the level of gravity on Earth, limit the size of insects to the size of Earths largest insect species that exist now.  When The Earths insects were much larger than they are now, during The late Carboniferous and early Permian Periods (about 300 million years ago), oxygen made up a much higher % of The Earths atmosphere.  In addition, even the most gigantic insects of that period were much smaller than New Tow, the space alien insect like being.  So, HE must have much more solid and heavy skin, and much more bulk.  Therefore, those thin and wispy wings he has would most likely not be able to support his weight in flight (unless we assume the unlikely situation that they move at incredibly high speeds whose friction would burn them up.

Nev Tow hides his laboratory inside a burro underground.  Personally, I don't think even the largest donkeys body would have enough room to hold much equipment, and leave much room for its operator.  And it would be disgusting to spend time inside a decaying body of a deceased animal.  I suspect the author meant "inside a burrow".  This just shows us that even by the early 1950s, editors had little time to spend making last checks when editing comic books before sending them to the printer.  Or, that could even be a printer error of omission.  Tows flying (at least in The Earths atmosphere) seems to be accomplished WITHOUT moving his wings.  I wonder what his body power source is (at least for his flying function)?  Tow captures Jet to learn much about Earth and its people, and of course (for the sake of the reader) he understands English, so they can communicate together.  Jet simply and easily does Tow in , by sending out DDT bombs.  Apparently (and conveniently) Jet always has some DDT handy, because insects are constantly bothering him.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 04:29:43 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 01:10:21 AM »

Good responses Robb.
I like that Powers is portrayed as a scientist and inventor, and not just an adventurer.  This book is much more interesting than the groping attempts by the novice writers and artists of the early 1940s, whose so-called "science fiction" has little science and mostly fantasy 

That was to be expected of Gardner Fox.
A polymath, Fox included numerous real-world historical, scientific, and mythological references in his comic strips, once saying, "Knowledge is kind of a hobby with me".[7] For instance, during a year's worth of Atom comic strip stories, Fox referred to the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, the space race, 18th-century England, miniature card painting, Norse mythology, and numismatics. He revealed in letters to fan Jerry Bails that he kept large troves of reference material, mentioning during 1971, "I maintain two file cabinets chock full of stuff. And the attic is crammed with books and magazines....Everything about science, nature, or unusual facts, I can go to my files or the at least 2,000 books that I have".[7]

(Sounds a like bit like me!?!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardner_Fox
It's pretty clear that most early comic Science Fiction, and much current comic science fiction for that matter, owes more to Raymond's Flash Gordon than 'hard' science fiction.
Somehow, I do not believe that seeing any combination of coloured lights would drive a person mad.

Sorry Robb, but you are quite wrong there.
Those of us who were in clubs in the 60s and 70s that used strobe lighting and ultraviolet light know different from experience. And Gardner Fox probably used a source that already verified that.
An observational study reports the use of strobe lighting at concerts and music festivals triples the risk of seizures in those with photosensitive epilepsy.

https://neurosciencenews.com/epilepsy-strobe-lights-14221/
And something known to have that kind of effect could be weaponized.
So, Su Shan is still Powers enemy, even though Sinn tried to kill her.

Thanks Robb, for highlighting this. If she has already taken a memory destroying drug, she wouldn't know who either of them are, so that makes absolutely no sense.
And I was wondering,so I looked it up.
https://www.livescience.com/7315-drug-deletes-bad-memories.html
New Drug Deletes Bad Memories
Actually it seems to lesson emotional reaction to bad memories. And then there are the illegal drugs that remove your memories and do brain damage as an unintended side effect.
Your observations on Space Ace makes me even surer that Fox did not write it.
Robb, thanks for the new choices.
Cheers!

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2022, 10:08:35 AM »

I've read that unless significant brain tissue destruction takes place that one can never truly forget anything , the memories are only stored in a form not easily accessed. A drug might scramble the memory retrieval mechanism and perhaps target only a certain time frame.
People often, consciously or not, use a key word or object to jog their memory. Breaking such a connection might be all it would take to keep a memory locked away.
I figure hypnosis would be far more efficient, and less damaging, than a drug.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2022, 04:33:35 PM »

I've read that unless significant brain tissue destruction takes place that one can never truly forget anything , the memories are only stored in a form not easily accessed. A drug might scramble the memory retrieval mechanism and perhaps target only a certain time frame.
People often, consciously or not, use a key word or object to jog their memory. Breaking such a connection might be all it would take to keep a memory locked away.
I figure hypnosis would be far more efficient, and less damaging, than a drug.

Very true,  However, all this discussion about memory related to this story is moot, as Su Shan told us, in a thinking balloon, that she had only been pretending that her memory had been lost. 
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2022, 01:53:30 AM »

Thanks for your excellent and detailed analysis Robb. Glad you got off to a good start with the character. In essence I agree with most of what you say, so all I can do is throw in a few  of my own observations.

I've never been to a cocktail party but I can only imagine if I divulged that my real life information was gained from reading a sci-fi comic my conversation wouldn't last long!  :(  I'm wondering if Sinn is genuinely Asian, and the green skin is a by-product of his experiments to increase his intelligence with gamma ray treatments? It might explain why he always seems so angry.  >:(

Jet's ability to make weapons out old rubbish signifies to the reader that he is genuinely a Captain of Science, I'm sure I've  seen Tony Stark do the same sort of thing. In the same way, Sinn's readiness to dispose of even the hottest underling signifies that he is really a big shot villain, I've seen everyone from the Claw to the Octopus pull the same stunt. So too does his ability to read people's lips no matter which way they're facing. His Moon does however seem a bit bigger inside than it does outside, so I'm wondering if he uses some kind of TARDIS technology? Thank heavens he never got hold of Ezra Walter's time machine!  ;)

I love the "typo" about the underground burro, this is as good as the blooper about the termite bomb! Maybe just a lazy letterer, (no relation to my blues hero Lazy  Lester!) overcome by Fox's wordiness? The convenience of using DDT to kill an alien who you've already convinced me just happens to look like an insect, is as credible as him happening to have some very lead-heavy paint hanging around to stop radiation. The science, I guess, is about kindergarten level but "good enough for comics." :o

Space Ace is really not worthy of consideration, god bless you for giving it so much attention, I look forward to your review of issue #2.

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.