in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #284 Cornell Woolrich stories

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #284 Cornell Woolrich stories  (Read 2805 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #284 Cornell Woolrich stories
« on: November 13, 2022, 11:24:19 PM »

Hi everyone

Cornell Woolrich was a prolific novelist and short story writer, especially known for his pulp fiction and noir classics. Many of his stories were adapted for film, including one of my all-time favourites Rear Window.

A few weeks ago, K1ngcat mentioned that he’d read a story in Police Comics that was based on the Cornell Woolrich story Kiss of the Cobra. I managed to track down the issue, and in the process, found another comic book based on one of his stories. So here are this week’s selections.

The Window

The Window (1950) is an adaptation of the RKO movie of the same name, which was in turn based on a story by Woolrich. It takes up most of the comic book and includes brief bios of Woolrich and Bobby Driscoll, the boy who starred in the movie.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=23425

Police Comics #6

This issue of Police Comics from 1942 contains an adaptation of Woolrich’s story Kiss of the Cobra. It’s the Chic Carter story that starts on p. 26. Feel free to just read that one story or dip into the rest of the comic book for a mixed bag of varying genres and quality. You’ll find crimefighters and superheroes like Firebrand, Plastic Man, Phantom Lady, detective and military stories, as well as humour. Hopefully you’ll find something of interest there.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19823

I’ll look forward to reading your comments.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #284 Cornell Woolrich stories
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 12:46:07 AM »

Looking forward to getting my teeth into these. Thanks QQ!
Here's a few links to make it clear - to the few of you that don't know, what creative works Woolrich is responsible for. 
Cornell Woolrich (1903–1968)
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0941280/ 

His Bio? Not a happy story.

Cornell Woolrich, the Dark Prince of Noir
https://crimereads.com/cornell-woolrich-the-dark-prince-of-noir/
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 01:17:16 AM »

Here's a few links to make it clear - to the few of you that don't know, what creative works Woolrich is responsible for. 

Thanks for that, Panther. I didn't know he ended up having such a sad life. Maybe a case of life imitates art (or the other way around).

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 02:05:27 AM »

Thanks for that, Panther. I didn't know he ended up having such a sad life. Maybe a case of life imitates art (or the other way around).

Cheers

QQ

Having grown up with Francis Nevin's biography, painting Woolrich as a self-despising homosexual who cruised the streets in a sailor suit and wrecked his own marriage, CrimeReads do offer an alternative assessment here:

https://crimereads.com/do-people-really-know-what-they-think-they-know-about-cornell-woolrich/

I don't know which I subscribe to, but in any case he was still a deeply unhappy man who lived carrying the oppressive weight of his own mortality. He was also a tremendous mystery writer, and it'd be nice if we could all remember him for his strengths and not his weaknesses.

Just thought I'd throw that one in!
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 02:48:29 AM »

Police Comics #6

Cover probably Gill Fox, cartoonist responsible for Torchy, and quite a few one page features on sporting celebrities that pop up here and there in Quality comics. He never quite grasped the dynamics for convincing action heroes but at least his covers were striking and colourful.

The Firebrand. Signed Reed Crandall, and I have no reason to doubt those credits, realistic action figures and facial features, his best work was on the long-running Blackhawk series. Another millionaire playboy/masked vigilante, this time clad theatrically in red bandana and see- through shirt, his sidekick is an ex-boxer sidekick called Slugger who acts as butler, chauffeur, and extra muscle. Not entirely unique but the art carries it off. His last appearance is in #10, by which time Crandall seems to have quit the strip

711. Geo. Brenner's series about a man who allows himself to be framed and becomes a lifer, tunnels out of prison, and then goes about as a vigilante, naming himself by his prison number. Heaven knows why nobody connects the two, and lord only knows who created his purple costume or where he hides it.  Brenner's artistic skills are limited, yet he served as Quality's art editor on a number of titles. Also responsible for The Clock, giving Brenner the chance to name the strip "The Clock Strikes."  Over an astonishingly long run,  his masked hero morphed into a Spirit clone in Crack Comics. (See Crack #28 for another steal from Kiss Of The Cobra.)

Eagle Evans. I'm not mad about aviation strips, apart from Blackhawk, Terry & the Pirates, and Greasemonkey Griffin, but this isn't too bad. The artist is Witmer Williams, a former Disney animator, and the illustrations for this strip are at least neat and tidy, though I couldn't tell you how accurate the planes are. Like Firebrand, it lasted ten issues, then from Police Comics #11 a lot of the regular strips changed, allowing Eisner's Spirit to join in the fun.

Chic Carter. Vernon Henkel's work has an Eisner-influenced style, though it gets a bit clunky in places. Nevertheless he did quite a bit of work for Quality including Space Legion, and The Whistler. As previously noted this story rips off Cornell Woolrich's Kiss Of The Cobra but I don't suppose American teenagers of the time were conversant with the works of the Master of Noir. Chic Carter later developed a mask and costume as The Sword.

Plastic Man. The story's silly and the artwork's still a "work in progress" but Jack Cole's malleable manhunter, IMHO, developed into one of the world's most unique superheroes. Copied in Marvel's Mr Fantastic and DC's Elongated Man, his powers of physical mimicry (including tricks like turning himself into a clothesline complete with washing) and his skill as a detective, combined with an off-the-wall sense of humour, make him stand out in comic's panoply of heroes. Besides, I have great affection for Woozy Winks, the most humanly fallible sidekick a superhero ever had. The Plas that I grew up with probably owes more to Andre LeBlanc and Alex Kotzky but Cole's kooky character, one of those rare heroes who lived without a secret identity, will always have a place in my heart.

Steel Kerrigan. Al Bryant turns in some very acceptable artwork on this action/detective series. Later he became the regular artist on Eisner's creation Doll Man, a forerunner of shrinking heroes like The Atom and Ant Man. Kerrigan is a standard action/detective type, but appropriate for a magazine called Police Comics.

The Mouthpiece. I find Fred Guardineer's art a little on the stiff side, and his hero here doesn't differ greatly from Eisner's Spirit, except for his lack of warmth and originality.  #11 will see him replaced by the real thing. Guardineer created Merlin the Magician for Quality as well as his clone Zatara, still in the DC Universe. Derf og ot yaw!  ;D

Phantom Lady. The title of a Cornell Woolrich (doesn't that name get around?) mystery published under his pen name William Irish, this character was the work of Arthur Peddy and an unnamed writer, and features one of comicdom's earliest masked heroines, aided only by her ingenuity and her black light projector.  In a later incarnation, the character was leased to Fox Publications and the art taken over by African American artist Matt Baker, a proponent of the "good girl" style where attractive female figures dominated the page. But let's not detract from this original version, where the lady's still attractive, adventurous, and worthy of attention.

The Human Bomb. Paul Gustavson was an extremely capable artist, and handled a number of Superhero and Comedy titles. I liked his heroes, like Alias The Spider, and he did a cracking job on Jack Cole's Quicksilver,  but he had a habit of thinking it was funny just for people to have names like Heustace or Throckmorton. Still how many times have you read a line like "A giant vibrator! So that's what caused the earthquake!" Did the earth move for you, reader?  ;)

Burp the Twerp. I never really got into Jack Cole's one page gag features, of which he did many. I guess it boosted his pay packet although I think other things he did were more historically important. Burp is some kind of superhero parody whose powers were many and varied according to what joke Cole wanted to tell. But I'm still not laughing! The name of Dewey Drip's creator seems to have been lost to posterity, but I don't mind none.  :)

Overall what strikes me most about Police Comics #6 is the overwhelming accuracy of the artwork by comparison to other mixed bag features of the day. It's almost all well executed, and (Cole excepted) anatomically correct. The stories may be the same throwaway rubbish as all kid's comics of that time, but it was all so well executed. Quality comics were well named, and the products of the Eisner/Iger studio stand the test of time far better than many of their imitators. I guess you could mark me down as a fan! :)

I'll look at The Window another day.  Thanks for posting, QQ.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 02:58:48 AM »

I didn't know he ended up having such a sad life. Maybe a case of life imitates art (or the other way around).

For me, the clue is his profoundly messed up relationship with his mother.
Traumatic relationships with a parent or parents, Mother or Father or both have twisted many a a creative soul.
And no, if you are wondering, I'm not talking about myself.       
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 04:25:41 AM »

Police Comics #6

711. Geo. Brenner's series about a man who allows himself to be framed and becomes a lifer, tunnels out of prison, and then goes about as a vigilante, naming himself by his prison number. Heaven knows why nobody connects the two, and lord only knows who created his purple costume or where he hides it.  Brenner's artistic skills are limited, yet he served as Quality's art editor on a number of titles. Also responsible for The Clock, giving Brenner the chance to name the strip "The Clock Strikes."  Over an astonishingly long run,  his masked hero morphed into a Spirit clone in Crack Comics. (See Crack #28 for another steal from Kiss Of The Cobra.)

Phantom Lady. The title of a Cornell Woolrich (doesn't that name get around?) mystery published under his pen name William Irish, this character was the work of Arthur Peddy and an unnamed writer, and features one of comicdom's earliest masked heroines, aided only by her ingenuity and her black light projector.  In a later incarnation, the character was leased to Fox Publications and the art taken over by African American artist Matt Baker, a proponent of the "good girl" style where attractive female figures dominated the page. But let's not detract from this original version, where the lady's still attractive, adventurous, and worthy of attention.

Wow, you're quick off the mark K1ngcat. I put the link up and I haven't finished reading the whole comic yet - LOL You're a wealth of information.

Here's the link for Crack Comics #28 that you mentioned, in case anyone is interested in comparing the two Cobra stories. This one starts on p. 60.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=71543

I've read some of the later Phantom Lady comics and really liked them. My first look at this one was that it wasn't as good, so thanks for the explanation. I'll have to go back and compare them.

And I was wondering if Plastic Man was a precursor to the others you mentioned. I have a volume of Silver Age Flash comics, and the Elongated Man makes an appearance in there.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 04:31:44 AM »

Hi all

This is just a general query for you Golden Age buffs. On the information sheet that goes with Police Comics, titles are given for most of the stories. But in the comic book itself, the name of the detective or superhero is given as the header. For example, on the information page it says 'Veda the Cobra Woman', but on the comic itself, it just says 'Chic Carter: Police Reporter' and there is no title for the actual story (unless I'm missing it somewhere). Just wondering if the person who uploaded the comic book just thought of appropriate names or if you can find that info somewhere? By just having the name of the hero/heroine, it must have been hard to refer to different stories featuring the same sleuth or crimefighter.

Just curious

QQ
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 01:17:17 AM »

Wow, you're quick off the mark K1ngcat. I put the link up and I haven't finished reading the whole comic yet - LOL You're a wealth of information.

Here's the link for Crack Comics #28 that you mentioned, in case anyone is interested in comparing the two Cobra stories. This one starts on p. 60.

I've read some of the later Phantom Lady comics and really liked them. My first look at this one was that it wasn't as good, so thanks for the explanation. I'll have to go back and compare them.

And I was wondering if Plastic Man was a precursor to the others you mentioned. I have a volume of Silver Age Flash comics, and the Elongated Man makes an appearance in there.

Cheers

QQ

Sorry QQ, I've read CB+s collection of Police Comics and Plastic Man many times over so I was fairly familiar with the subject matter. Plus you kinda teased this one on the Suggestions page so I was half expecting it to come up. Does that count as cheating?

Yes Plastic Man came before Elongated Man (am I right in remembering his name was Ralph Dibney or did I make that up? Didn't he have a twitchy nose too?) The only character that was similar to Cole's was The Thin Man, who kind of stretched himself out flat like a ribbon. I know I've seen him but he doesn't show in searches here, I think he's now part of Marvel comics?

I'm looking forward to reading the Woolrich adaptation, will get back to you on that one!

All the best
K1ngcat
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:28:17 AM by K1ngcat »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 02:54:13 AM »

Yes Plastic Man came before Elongated Man (am I right in remembering his name was Ralph Dibney or did I make that up?

Yes, Ralph Dibney. He premiered in the Flash books and was a close friend of Barry Allen. And yes to the nose. I think Infantino - whose are style would work well for the character, would have liked to draw Plastic Man.
The only character that was similar to Cole's was The Thin Man, who kind of stretched himself out flat like a ribbon. I know I've seen him but he doesn't show in searches here, I think he's now part of Marvel comics? 

Yes, Thin Man was an Atlas character in the Golden Age -0nly a couple of stories - and Atlas became Marvel, so we don't have them here. Marvel has attempted to revive him several times.
DC has never been consistent with Plastic Man and play up the 'criminal/rebel ' side of the character when they use him. He now has a son with similar powers who goes under the appropriate non-de-plume of 'Offspring' Full marks to whoever thought that up!
The character who is most similar to Plastic Man, in my opinion, at least in the type of narrative and the things he can do, is Nicola Cuti and Joe Staton's E-man.
Two anthologies just released - I think!

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 07:30:32 AM »

Stories By Famous Authors Illustrated 7

The Window - Okay, probably hindered not by any flaws in itself, but that there have been so many suspense/thrillers with similar scenes that there is a general sense of familiarity with it. Nice artwork although sometimes the panel placement is a little off. I do wonder if the scriptwriter based his comic book script more off of the movie script or the original story. I would guess the movie script as the screenwriter would have already have done the heavy lifting of turning a text story into a visual story.

Exciting Sport - Okay text piece.

Daredevil Fugitive - Interesting.

Post Office Words - Okay, but probably the least of the three text pieces.

Police Comics 6

Firebrand - Splash page. Almost looks like Firebrand is wearing a codpiece.  :o

How did Joan discover the paralysis germs in the blood? She's only shown holding the test tube, not looking through a microscope or apparently running a medical test.

Panel 1, the blonde thug calls the black-haired guy Rudolf, but panel 5 the black-haired guy calls the blonde Rudolf.

Slugger is Rod's manservant & a friend to Firebrand, but Joan can't put 2 & 2 together?

Why does Firebrand drive to the Camp instead of phoning them to warn them of the tainted blood?

If this story is typical it's easy to see why Firebrand did not become a star character, the art was fine, but the writing was flawed.

711 - Cute touch making Big Boy a short guy. Not terrible, but I think the gimmick works against the story.

Dewey Drip - Another L'il Abner knockoff? Just how many were there?

Eagle Evans - Eh. One of those "this happens, then that happens, then something else happens..." things.

Chic Carter - Eh. The villainess could have used a motivation to explain why she killed the Kanes. Does cobra venom need to be specifically searched for since no explanation was given for why the police lab didn't find a trace of poison. So will the next story have Chic on the run from the law? Perhaps becoming 711's sidekick?  ;)

Plastic Man - Okay. Not as zany as the best Plastic Man stories, but not bad.

Super Snooper - Okay, if low-aiming one-pager.

Steele Kerrigan - Was it common in the 1940s for parolees to use guns?

The Mouthpiece - Just a domino mask for a disguise? Reminds me of TV Tropes Hat Mask Gloves article on a common low level disguise.

Blood Will Tell - Feels like the author had two stories and put them together... poorly.

Phantom Lady - And I complained about the Mouthpiece just using a domino mask to disguise himself. *rolls eyes* Heck even Clark's Kent's glasses are more of a disguise. The eternal nit of all Phantom Lady stories. Otherwise an okay yarn.

Burp the Twerp - Uhhhhhh... okay... weird.

The Human Bomb - Fun.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 07:59:45 AM »

This is just a general query for you Golden Age buffs. On the information sheet that goes with Police Comics, titles are given for most of the stories. But in the comic book itself, the name of the detective or superhero is given as the header.

The info page takes its information from the index at the Grand Comics Database and the titles are unofficial. Somebody, or several somebodies, made up the name so they had something to refer to the story by rather than trying to describe the story they mean ("It's that episode where the castaways almost get off the island, but Gilligan messes it up." "Uhhhhhhh...")

The only character that was similar to Cole's was The Thin Man, who kind of stretched himself out flat like a ribbon. I know I've seen him but he doesn't show in searches here, I think he's now part of Marvel comics?

Yeah, the Thin Man appeared before Plastic Man. Roy Thomas tried reviving him and few other minor Marvel heroes from WWII in the Liberty Legion in the 1970s.

However the earliest stretching hero I know of is Mighty Man from Centaur. He appeared in Amazing Man Comics & Stars and Stripes Comics. Originally (AMC 5) a 12-foot giant who fought crime, he later (AMC 12) underwent a medical experiment that allowed him to change size and alter his appearance.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 08:16:59 AM »

This is just a general query for you Golden Age buffs. On the information sheet that goes with Police Comics, titles are given for most of the stories. But in the comic book itself, the name of the detective or superhero is given as the header.

The info page takes its information from the index at the Grand Comics Database and the titles are unofficial. Somebody, or several somebodies, made up the name so they had something to refer to the story by rather than trying to describe the story they mean ("It's that episode where the castaways almost get off the island, but Gilligan messes it up." "Uhhhhhhh...")

Thanks SuperScrounge. That explains it. I've just looked up that database and have added it to my bookmarks.  :D

And I think I've seen that Gilligan's Island episode. Actually, wasn't that every Gilligan's Island episode? LOL My favourite one was where Mrs Howell, Ginger and Mary Ann form the all-girl group and sing to the groovy boy group The Mosquitoes  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7gr4hSkNQ

Enjoy!

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 09:43:17 PM »

Yes Plastic Man came before Elongated Man (am I right in remembering his name was Ralph Dibney or did I make that up? Didn't he have a twitchy nose too?) The only character that was similar to Cole's was The Thin Man, who kind of stretched himself out flat like a ribbon. I know I've seen him but he doesn't show in searches here, I think he's now part of Marvel comics?

Elongated Man made his first appearance in The Flash comics #112 (1960) in a story called 'The Mystery of the Elongated Man' and that's the one I have in my volume. I'm not familiar with the more recent versions.  Though I did find an interesting snippet in Wikipedia about his origins and Plastic Man:

"Elongated Man was created by writer John Broome and penciler Carmine Infantino, with significant input from editor Julius Schwartz, who wanted a new supporting character for the Flash. Julius Schwartz has noted that Elongated Man was only created because he had not realized that Plastic Man was available due to DC obtaining the rights to him in 1956 alongside other Quality Comics properties. However, Infantino and inker Murphy Anderson stated that he never used him as a reference for anything."

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 09:50:22 PM »

The Mouthpiece - Just a domino mask for a disguise? Reminds me of TV Tropes Hat Mask Gloves article on a common low level disguise.

Phantom Lady - And I complained about the Mouthpiece just using a domino mask to disguise himself. *rolls eyes* Heck even Clark's Kent's glasses are more of a disguise. The eternal nit of all Phantom Lady stories. Otherwise an okay yarn.

Yes, nothing like a domino mask to hide your secret identity. On a similar note, I've been reading the new 'Superman: Space Age' three-parter (Only 1 and 2 released so far). In Part 2, there's a scene where Clark and Lois are walking down a street and they have this conversation:

Clark: I've debated telling you this. Because I wanted to protect you, I told myself. But the truth is ... I was simply afraid to say anything.  But ... if we're going to do this, then I need to come clean.

Lois: Clark? What is it?

Clark: Lois ... I am -

Lois: Superman?

Clark: You knew? But how?

Lois: Clark ... I'm the reporter who broke Watergate.

:D  Then what took her so long?  It's a fun graphic novel. Lois has lots of Forrest Gump moments like that. She was also on the spot in Dallas when Kennedy was assassinated. But I digress!

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 12:57:28 AM »

DC has never been consistent with Plastic Man and play up the 'criminal/rebel ' side of the character when they use him. He now has a son with similar powers who goes under the appropriate non-de-plume of 'Offspring' Full marks to whoever thought that up!
The character who is most similar to Plastic Man, in my opinion, at least in the type of narrative and the things he can do, is Nicola Cuti and Joe Staton's E-man.
Two anthologies just released - I think!

Good call, Panther! Yes, E-Man had similar powers to Plas in his ability to "remodel" himself into other shapes, and the element of kookiness- in his inability to understand how it was appropriate for him to behave on Earth- was always there too. I still have most of the original mags and enjoyed them tremendously. Thanks for the reminder. ;D
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2022, 01:09:28 AM »

Yeah, the Thin Man appeared before Plastic Man. Roy Thomas tried reviving him and few other minor Marvel heroes from WWII in the Liberty Legion in the 1970s.

However the earliest stretching hero I know of is Mighty Man from Centaur. He appeared in Amazing Man Comics & Stars and Stripes Comics. Originally (AMC 5) a 12-foot giant who fought crime, he later (AMC 12) underwent a medical experiment that allowed him to change size and alter his appearance.

Thanks for that, SS, I wish I could tell you where I first came across the Thin Man but I'm glad to know I didn't imagine it! Mighty Man certainly gains some unusual and interesting powers after his operation but he's not as much fun as Plastic Man!  ;D
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2022, 01:29:38 AM »

Interesting. Aside from the gimmick of the poison lipstick and a cobra, it pretty much was its own story, though.

I wonder if the revolution Dagga was part of involved Fidel Castro?   ;)
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2022, 02:21:15 AM »

The Window

It seems this was based on the movie rather than the book, and sadly it's a movie I've never seen. In fact the only movies based on Woolrich stories that I have seen are the famed Rear Window and The Leopard Man, based on Woolrich's Black Alibi. (You can still get that on a second hand dvd from Amazon if you've got thirty quid to spare!)

Firstly I'm amazed to find Woolrich sharing the limelight with Shakespeare, and secondly by the fact that they chose to adapt his story rather than go straight to Aesop's fable. Maybe someone at Seaboard was a fan?

Having not seen the movie version I can't say how close the comic version came to it, but I can't imagine either managing to achieve the same gripping mixture of paranoia, claustrophobia and mounting tension as Cornell's original. But then they were his specialities.

Kiefer's an adequate artist, but having had a look at the rest of the Classics range on CB+ I can only reflect that he wasn't their worst. I don't think the colouring helps, there's way too much yellow for such a "noir" tale. I'd love to have seen this illustrated in black and white by someone like Everett Raymond Kinstler, I'm sure he would've cooked up something a little more atmospheric.

Basically, I can only say was a nice try. And it's comforting to see CW get some credit. But Woolrich created more magic tapping away at his beloved Remington in his dismal hotel room, fuelled only by alcohol, nicotine, and his very personal sense of doom, than you can conjure up in a comic book.

Thanks QQ, it was good to see it and thanks for posting.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2022, 03:36:45 AM »

Writers should not have fictional characters solve real life crimes in place of the real life people who did solve them.  ::)

Had it been an unsolved crime, fine, because you're not stepping on anyone's toes, but this just feels disrespectful to Woodward and Bernstein.

Thanks for that, SS

You're welcome.

Mighty Man certainly gains some unusual and interesting powers after his operation but he's not as much fun as Plastic Man!  ;D

Martin Filchock was good, but he was no Jack Cole.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2022, 05:07:25 AM »

The Window

It seems this was based on the movie rather than the book, and sadly it's a movie I've never seen.

I haven't seen this movie either, K1ngcat, but I did find a couple of clips on YouTube that give you a bit of the flavour:

Cab scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntoZsumz1gg

Door handle scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9cmcucsmDw

Eddie Muller's Intro to the movie, which also includes some clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16gGYpSI4Xw

Cheers

QQ

« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 05:18:46 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2022, 05:23:38 AM »

Writers should not have fictional characters solve real life crimes in place of the real life people who did solve them.  ::)

Had it been an unsolved crime, fine, because you're not stepping on anyone's toes, but this just feels disrespectful to Woodward and Bernstein.

Yes, good point SS. Though Lois Lane did win the Pulitzer Prize. Or did she?  ;)

https://warnerbros.fandom.com/wiki/Daily_Planet_Star_Reporter_Lois_Lane_Wins_Pulitzer_Prize

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2022, 08:37:37 AM »

The Window

(1)It seems this was based on the movie rather than the book, and sadly it's a movie I've never seen.

Having not seen the movie version I can't say how close the comic version came to it, but I can't imagine either managing to achieve the same gripping mixture of paranoia, claustrophobia and mounting tension as Cornell's original.

Kiefer's an adequate artist, but having had a look at the rest of the Classics range on CB+ I can only reflect that he wasn't their worst. I don't think the colouring helps, there's way too much yellow for such a "noir" tale.
(2) I'd love to have seen this illustrated in black and white by someone like Everett Raymond Kinstler, I'm sure he would've cooked up something a little more atmospheric.

Basically, I can only say was a nice try. And it's comforting to see CW get some credit. But Woolrich created more magic tapping away at his beloved Remington in his dismal hotel room, fuelled only by alcohol, nicotine, and his very personal sense of doom, than you can conjure up in a comic book.

Thanks QQ, it was good to see it and thanks for posting.
All the best
K1ngcat

I've seen the film about 3-4 times during the late 1950s and early 1960s. 
(1) You guessed correctly that this comic book version was taken right from the film, rather than the book.  And it seems likely to me that the artist was given stills of the important scenes in the film to use as a guide to the staging, as severral are exactly as they were in the film. 

(2) I agree that the colour in the comic book reduces the atmosphere of danger and the suspense as to whether or not the boy can be saved.  The film's use of darkness, shadows, and the difference between dark and light, and unusual camera angles to create a lot of agitative tension and suspense, that the lighter coloured comic book pages water down severely.  The artwork is passable, but not great.  Yes, I'd have liked rather to see a Kinstler version, myself.

ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2022, 01:42:12 AM »

The Window

It seems this was based on the movie rather than the book, and sadly it's a movie I've never seen.

I haven't seen this movie either, K1ngcat, but I did find a couple of clips on YouTube that give you a bit of the flavour:

Cab scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntoZsumz1gg

Door handle scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9cmcucsmDw

Eddie Muller's Intro to the movie, which also includes some clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16gGYpSI4Xw

Cheers

QQ

Thanks for those links QQ. Now that's more like it! Driscoll does a great job as the terrified kid, and the overall mood seems to capture Woolwich's combination of paranoia and claustrophobia rather nicely. I had no idea it had been such a hit for RKO.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2022, 02:14:03 AM »

I looked the movie up, and learned among other things that it was the first feature to be shot on location on the streets of New York (N'Yark?). Credit is usually given to Naked City, but though it hit the theaters first, The Window was completed earlier and held back from release.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 03:42:36 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.