in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Introduction

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 546 times)

Shieldbearer

message icon
Introduction
« on: December 19, 2022, 02:43:05 PM »

Howdy, y'all!

I've been casually reading comics for a couple years but recently has decided to try and take a more comprehensive, serious look at the medium as a whole. Right now, I'm interested in the Golden Age stories of characters that interest me (DC trinity, Captain Marvel [currently known as Shazam], Namor, Vision, Alan Scott's Green Lantern, Black Canary, Vigilante, Shining Knight, Firebrand, etc), anything Jack Kirby has worked on, and to a limited extent the Western genre-specifically, Marvel's Colt/Rawhide/Two-Gun triad.

While Kid Colt is not archived on this site due to copyright, Kid Colt's original origin story written by Ernie Hart in 1948 has quickly become one of my favorite comics of all time. I'm interested in seeing how earlier stories may have influenced Colt's origin story and how the CCA has altered and changed comics and the storytelling thereof. My perception is that Kid Colt's origin- again, as originally written by Ernie Hart, featuring the specific elements of Colt's short temper and his initial refusal to carry a gun because he knows if he did he would inevitably kill people- is fairly unique for the Western genre and I'm curious to see if that's actually true.

All that said, if I had to pick a favorite comic, Jack Kirby's original Fourth World titles published in the 1970s wins, hands down
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 06:10:11 PM »

Hi Shieldbearer. Welcome.
We can't host DC or Atlas/Marvel titles so no 4th World etc.  But, westerns, well that is a different matter.   We have some excellent examples on site. Amongst my favourites are the Kinstler drawn Ernest Haycox, Western  Marshall
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=61959
and the Lawman series
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=38976
I have a particular soft spot for this one
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2690

If you want a look at a character who uses a whip rather than a gun, try this Australian TV show, Whiplash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9EBTu38_Q

Lots more,  and please join in the conversations
Shieldbearer - Cap, The Shield, The Guardian?
ip icon Logged

Shieldbearer

message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 02:14:25 AM »

Thank you for the recs! Yeah, I know this site doesn't have Big Two comics on here but that's just kinda what I'm familiar with right now, though I am certainly interested in these older stories. My work schedule has been crazy but I look forward to diving in with y'all. Thanks for having me!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 02:31:09 AM »

G'day Shieldbearer,
Great name! Hope you choose a good visual image to go with it. Welcome!
anything Jack Kirby has worked on

Yes, there is quite a lot of Jack Kirby here. Worked for several publishers back in the day.
Look in the Harvey section, particularly at 'Alarming Tales' - if you are a Kirby aficionado, the stories there should rock your boat.
Also, use the search bar top right and punch in 'Jack Kirby' to see what you will find.
There are also Marvel Family books in the Fawcett section.  We're had to remove some at the instructions of Lawyers but not all.
Also there are early versions of characters that the big two now have copyright on.
So, Daredevil, Blue Beetle, The Question, Yellowjacket, Blackhawks, The Ray, Black Orchid and so on.
Happy searching, happy reading and please feel free to join in!
Howdy, y'all! 
From the South of the USA? Actually, 'Howdy', could place you in South Australia.
I'm from the Far North of OZ, bearing in mind that everything is upside down in the Southern Hemisphere, ??? 
that's the equivalent of the Deep South!  8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 02:40:13 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.