in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group # 287 - Christmas 3nd Installment

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group # 287 - Christmas 3nd Installment  (Read 1961 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group # 287 - Christmas 3nd Installment
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2023, 09:31:06 AM »

Well, you may not be as impressed when I say that I knew John Mayall, Christine Perfect/McVie because I was a big fan of the 70s/80s version of Fleetwood Mac. 

QQ, if you look at the avatar on Kingcat's posts, you will see that he labels himself, Blues Man and comic book fan - and in that order.
Take it from me, he will be impressed, as am I and as will several others on this forum.
Back in the day I bought John Mayall - lived at Klooks Kleek, didn't like it but then I had to put up with my sister - in the next room, playing it non-stop for weeks. Now, I can never forget it.
[Life is just a slow train, crawling up a hill.]         
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2023, 01:21:06 AM »

Just a word on patronage. When Peter Harvie and I set up the British Blues Archive he approached a number of influential names in the British Blues business to ask for their blessing and would they mind being named as a patron to the Archive. We lined up the late Chris Barber, John Mayall, Paul Jones and Mike Vernon (you might have to Google them if you're not a big Blues fan.)

K1ngcat, you'll be happy to know that I knew of John Mayall, though had to look up the others, and I'm not sure I have the right Paul Jones because there are tons of them. But when I looked up Mike Vernon, I saw that he had worked with Chicken Shack and I actually already knew that Christine Perfect sang with them and that she became Christine McVie. Are you impressed? Well, you may not be as impressed when I say that I knew John Mayall, Christine Perfect/McVie because I was a big fan of the 70s/80s version of Fleetwood Mac. So sorry when Christine McVie passed away recently. I saw her in concert with the Mac three times. She had one of the best voices in the business.

Cheers

QQ

QQ, I'm already impressed to know you've heard of John Mayall, UK's longest serving Bluesman, currently still alive recording and performing. Christine McVie (previously Perfect) was a great part of the transition from Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac to the million selling, international rock band that Fleetwood Mac became. She managed that transition without losing one iota of her credibility and I think that speaks to her talent as a musician and songwriter. I love both bands in different ways.

Mike Vernon was the vocalist who turned producer, responsible for setting up the Blue Horizon record label and credited with discovering half the bands who formed the sixties UK Blues Boom, including the Savoy Brown Blues Band, Stone's Masonry, Chicken Shack, Fleetwood Mac, Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation, The Keef Hartley Band and many more. And the right Paul Jones was the front man of Manfred Mann, now considered a sixties pop group but when he was at the helm they were a very credible R&B group. He's since been a Radio One DJ, lead singer of The Blues Band, and winner of a good few awards for UK's best harmonica player. And a jolly nice chap into the bargain!

Thanks for your interest, and Panther, I'm sorry about the John Mayall thing, I never had a sister but I can imagine!  ;)

Y'all keep rockin' 8)
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2023, 02:13:46 AM »

Just a word on patronage. When Peter Harvie and I set up the British Blues Archive he approached a number of influential names in the British Blues business to ask for their blessing and would they mind being named as a patron to the Archive. We lined up the late Chris Barber, John Mayall, Paul Jones and Mike Vernon (you might have to Google them if you're not a big Blues fan.)

K1ngcat, you'll be happy to know that I knew of John Mayall, though had to look up the others, and I'm not sure I have the right Paul Jones because there are tons of them. But when I looked up Mike Vernon, I saw that he had worked with Chicken Shack and I actually already knew that Christine Perfect sang with them and that she became Christine McVie. Are you impressed? Well, you may not be as impressed when I say that I knew John Mayall, Christine Perfect/McVie because I was a big fan of the 70s/80s version of Fleetwood Mac. So sorry when Christine McVie passed away recently. I saw her in concert with the Mac three times. She had one of the best voices in the business.

Cheers

QQ

QQ, I'm already impressed to know you've heard of John Mayall, UK's longest serving Bluesman, currently still alive recording and performing. Christine McVie (previously Perfect) was a great part of the transition from Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac to the million selling, international rock band that Fleetwood Mac became. She managed that transition without losing one iota of her credibility and I think that speaks to her talent as a musician and songwriter. I love both bands in different ways.

Thanks for clarifying which Paul Jones. I was only aware of Manfred Mann as a pop band, so didn't realise the blues connection. And Christine McVie's voice and songs are often trickier than they first seem. My favourite is her classic 'Songbird'. I can hold a tune and sing on key (mostly), but try singing Songbird and it's deceptively difficult. She makes it sound like an effortless ballad, but it's not. I even had one of her solo albums at one point, though I missed the brilliant Fleetwood Mac arrangements.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.