in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #292 The unusual art of Basil Wolverton

Pages: 1 [2] 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #292 The unusual art of Basil Wolverton  (Read 2555 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #292 The unusual art of Basil Wolverton
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2023, 05:05:59 AM »

It's no surprise to me that European "Classical Music", Blues, Jazz, Rhythm & Blues, "Easy Listening" ("Elevator Music"), and Ethnic Music (Polkas, etc) (other than the Scottish/Irish-influenced "Hill Billy Music" were not aimed at by the ersatz budget popular music purveyors, as they needed to concentrate their efforts on the widest markets possible, because of the extremely low profit margins of that market situation.

Since the aim is to make as much money as possible, I have always thought that the companies that made those cheap copy records looked at the sales stats and concentrated on the genres that had the most sales.
So, 
  "Classical Music", Blues, Jazz, Rhythm & Blues, "Easy Listening" ("Elevator Music"), and Ethnic Music (Polkas, etc)
and, in Australia anyway, Country music, were the genres of choice. And not much serious jazz.

Incidentally, country music is not just
Scottish/Irish-influenced
  It's a bit more eclectic than that. Also, as you no doubt know, the influence of Klezmer music in US popular music and Jazz  is greater than most are aware of.
In Klezmer Music, The Whole World Is Jewish.
https://odessareview.com/klezmer-music-whole-world-jewish/

Another example of a successful multi-genre band is Gogol Bordello, which calls itself a gypsy punk band. In fact, if Ukrainian-born lead singer Eugene Hutz didn’t declare the band gypsy, it would be difficult to pinpoint any one element in this eclectic fruit salad of Eastern European and Mediterranean musical traditions. But klezmer music has undoubtedly influenced Gogol Bordello. 

Take Only What You Can Carry - Gogol Bordello feat. KAZKA (UKR Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT_cdXEW8tE

Teroborona - Gogol Bordello (feat. The Cossacks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkPRZGi4-MA

cheers!

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2023, 02:51:50 PM »

Q.Q. you would have been a howling menace at the breakfast table with your wit. We’d never be able to get him to finish then.
Yoc thanks for the PDF’s of his World Wide Church of God stuff. They were were amazing.
Robb K; the whole thing reminds me of the business model for Charlton comics...ways to keep the presses (in this case record pressing plants) running. Fascinating stuff.
'Panther, I think I’ll stick with Benny Goodman, where I’m hearing the same sort of influence. But you also get Harry James and Gene Krupa.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2023, 01:43:42 AM »

Let me just at this point drop in to offer thanks: to Yoc for posting the PDFs of the Wolverton Bible ( totally awesome !) to Robb for his detailed account of the rip-off recording industry ( I quite enjoyed "Don't Be Cruel" even without The King ) and to Morgus for revealing the details of his lineage, (golly, didn't you guys get around!) It's all good stuff.

SS, I wasn't particularly sold on most of Mister Mystery either, but Wolverton's Brain Bats is evidently considered such a classic example of his Sci-Fi style that I couldn't leave it out.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions, please keep 'em coming.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2023, 03:42:38 AM »

Ibis the Invincible #3

Captain Marvel Club
I wonder what some of these toys were really like? The Buzz Bomb sounds potentially dangerous with the whole trailing flame of fire although I doubt it would have been a real fire.

Menace of the Jaguar Men!
Jaguars live in lower North America and South America, but the Jaguar Men are dressed like Arabs. Huh?

Ibis and Taia seem remarkably modern day for people who are from 4000 years ago.

If two of the Jaguar Men returned to human form when they died, why didn't the Jaguar Man that Clark Fenimore shot before the story began revert to human form as well?

What do the police think of all the dead bodies who follow in Ibis' wake think of this man's actions? You'd think that the police might want to investigate this guy? For all they know he could just be a killer who pretends to be a good guy fighting evil.

Bagdad
Cute.

Don't Use Your Whip!
Not bad.

Hard To Stomach This
Old joke, but otherwise okay.

Music Madness
That's... odd. Otherwise okay, but with an anthropomorphic musical note as a villain it makes it a little silly.

Mystic Moot and His Magic Snoot
Cute. I've never read this story before, but some parts seemed familiar like maybe someone else had "borrowed" some of the jokes for something I did read. *shrug*

Karlan, the Last of the Sorcerers!
Bobby Jordan... I'm surprised Roy Thomas didn't make him a relative of Hal Jordan.  ;)

How could Ibis have been part of the council that sentenced Karlan to death 3000 years ago when he went into suspended animation 4000 years ago?

And after this story Bobby became an expert at catching mice.  ;)

Mechanix Illustrated promo
So Mary likes Photo Kinks?  :o Moving along...
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2023, 03:57:22 AM »

SS, I wasn't particularly sold on most of Mister Mystery either, but Wolverton's Brain Bats is evidently considered such a classic example of his Sci-Fi style that I couldn't leave it out.

No problem. I'd heard a bit about the story so was curious to read it. I think the horror elements are what impress people here. The sci-fi serves mostly as an explanation for it rather than magic.

The mix of story types in Mister Mystery just seems to be more of the publisher not having a clear idea for what type of stories this book should cover and made it a catch-all, which can make it hard to find an audience.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2023, 07:19:18 AM »

SuperScrounge, the Captain Marvel Buzz Bomb was (in my opinion) a ripoff. The aircraft was a punch-out cardboard piece. You folded the fuselage in half, taped a penny in the nose for balance, and pushed the wing through a slot in the fuselage. The 'flame' was a piece of red tissue attached to the engine. It fluttered in the wind and enchanted the buyer, who exclaimed "What a gyp!" I'm not sure if this will work, but below I've tried to link to pictures of the thing from ebay.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images2/1/0507/25/captain-marvel-buzz-bomb-1940s-paper-toy-free_1_f6492f7e32b1d6602b7dc5d5668deb19.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/h~MAAOSwOS5jsGYd/s-l1600.png

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2023, 01:22:59 PM »

Damn, ‘crash. I had high hopes for that one as an old time, pre-child-safety-laws Engine of Destruction. Cast iron for multiple use. You know, pour in gas, ignite with, say, a CAPTAIN MARVEL BUTANE LIGHTER (sold separately, remember boys and girls, don’t smoke) and toss hand grenade style at something.

The first link came up in ’the forbidden zone’, but I got the heart breaking details in the envelope on the second link.

It saddens me that the good Captain allowed his sterling name to be linked to such a gyp. Now they sell the envelope alone on the ‘Bay for bucks. And the hucksters never saw it coming.

ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2023, 01:37:25 PM »

I've always been a huge Basil Wolverton fan since I read his Rockman stories (featured in U.S.A. Comics #1-#2, published by Timely). I've always preferred his sci-fi/supernatural stories rather than his gotesque/comedic bits.

Both The Monster on Mars and The Brain-Bats of Venus reminded me of his Starhawk adventures, and I've enjoyed them both very much. I've always liked when these sci-fi stories get a more mature and tragic tone like in the Brain-Bats one.
I found the Brain-Bats story's tragic ending similar to the ending of one of my favourite Basil Wolverton stories, which is featured in the same issue as the Monster of Mars one: Nightmare World. I had already read this story multiple times before, and I've always found it fascinating.

Now, speaking about the comedic bits: Jumpin' Jupiter and Mystic Moot. They were both pretty funny; what I enjoyed the most was the little easter egg with the sign upside-down in the JJ story, and for MM the banker yelling about the necessity of a law against bank robbery!

Overall, reading Wolverton is always a pleasure: his art is astounding.
Great choices, Kingcat!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2023, 09:44:26 PM »

Thanks, Crash! I guess this was before those pesky truth in advertising laws.  ;)
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2023, 02:01:38 AM »

I've always been a huge Basil Wolverton fan since I read his Rockman stories (featured in U.S.A. Comics #1-#2, published by Timely). I've always preferred his sci-fi/supernatural stories rather than his gotesque/comedic bits.

Both The Monster on Mars and The Brain-Bats of Venus reminded me of his Starhawk adventures, and I've enjoyed them both very much. I've always liked when these sci-fi stories get a more mature and tragic tone like in the Brain-Bats one.
I found the Brain-Bats story's tragic ending similar to the ending of one of my favourite Basil Wolverton stories, which is featured in the same issue as the Monster of Mars one: Nightmare World. I had already read this story multiple times before, and I've always found it fascinating.

Now, speaking about the comedic bits: Jumpin' Jupiter and Mystic Moot. They were both pretty funny; what I enjoyed the most was the little easter egg with the sign upside-down in the JJ story, and for MM the banker yelling about the necessity of a law against bank robbery!

Overall, reading Wolverton is always a pleasure: his art is astounding.
Great choices, Kingcat!

Glad you enjoyed them FraBig and thanks for all the work you've put in to creating your comic collections, they're greatly appreciated.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2023, 08:22:08 PM »

Weird Tales 3

(1) The Monster On Mars by Basil Wolverton
Immediately, I was struck by the unexpected cleanliness of panels (sparing amount of shading and texture lines  showing detail) and the attempted realism of Wolverton's Human characters, as I have only been used to the very distorted and cartoony characters in his comedy comic book stories and strips.  This is a typical Science Fantasy of the 1930s-40s type, with almost no real science.  Did people really think that the atmospheres on planets close enough for Human space vehicles to reach would bebreathable for Earth creatures? By the end of The 1940s, I, myself, as a child. knew that Humans would need to wear a space suit and helmet with an oxygen mask and source inside, or would die of asphyxiation.  I also knew that their innards (organs) would be crushed or torn apart by too much, or too little pressure.

I like the design of the Mercurian aliens, and The "Grud".  Could creatures really live on super hot and super cold, Mercury.  They would have to live just on the very edge of the all dark and all light hemispheres.  It would seem extremely unlikely that whatever atmospheres that could develop on the two very different sides of that planet, so close to its star, could support life that could become complex enough to evolve sentient beings.  The living Hand, with eyes, and keratin fingernails is an interesting (although ridiculous) idea.  And this story also includes the universal problem of the truism that languages developing in distant places, must, by definition, be very different an unintelligible to speakers of the other (combined with the fact that readers can't possibly understand a new language invented by an author).  I suppose we have to assume the long-used Science-Fiction tradition that most intelligent beings alien to Earth can communicate with all other sentient beings in our Universe, by mental telepathy.  So the dialogues between The Earthmen and aliens in this book are translations of those thoughts into 1940s American jargon. 

The story, itself, about the stranded Earthman, is interesting.  It also seems to be a first segment of a longer story, with our, unnamed hero, leaving his planet, and travelling with Princess Teba, to her country on Venus.  Was this story continued in Weird Tales 4? - Or another series from Stanley Morse/Key Publications?

(2) The Slave Pits of Uranus by Ed Smalle
The artwork in this story is more to my taste for semi-realistic and realistic depiction.  The story has some holes.  At least, I'm glad to see that the characters ware not being slowly murdered, are wearing protective space suits and helmets with breathable air pumped in.  But the unprotected slaves would freeze to death after after probably a minute or less, exposed to the extremely cold temperature on the REAL Uranus.  The end of the evil Kazmar, would be Dictator of The Universe is a fitting turnaround.  The action scenes with the combat between the space vehicles was eye-catching.

(3) Jumpin' Jupiter by Basil Wolverton
Now we come to the side of Wolverton of which I am well conversant, his totally bizarre cartoony style in tongue-in-cheek, zany comedy vignettes, with grotesque-looking characters, poking ironic jabs at life and The Human condition (complete with signs containing utter silliness, in pun, or rhyming form).  I love the predatory female character, who has unbelievably weird taste in men, and the really ugly male character she was chasing.

(4) Frontiers of Tomorrow - Text article
Good information, given the times.  You see, we DID know, even back in the late 1940s and beginning of The '50s that so much depicted in Sci-Fi comic book stories could not be possible!    :D

(5) The Desert Castle - by Tony Mortellaro
Ah....  The old Frankenstein theme of creating life from inert matter!  Mortellaro drew this story well.  I like the atmosphere he developed, especially in the laboratory, and of course, the storm scenes.  I always enjoy stories in which a millionaire hermit-type has bought a Gothic-looking, medieval European castle, disassembled it brick by brick, shipped it across The Atlantic to USA, and re-assembled it somewhere in the West (usually in a desert), often in Nevada.  This presaged the purchase and disassembling, shipping, and reassembling of The London Bridge to span The Colorado River between Arizona and California, a few years after this book was published.  This story has an obvious flaw that could have been avoided.  It shows the results of the scientist's first success at creating living cells directly from inert matter creating a being that can direct its own movement as a very complex unit.  It certainly can't be a one-celled or few-celled "being" (animal-like creature).  In reality, a scientist trying to change the physical (atomic) structure of an inert grouping of molecules, would need to start with something very simple (one cell or a few cells).  So the scientist should have mentioned that he finally has succeeded, after many years of hard work, in bringing a large group of inert cells or molecules to life as a complex unit that can act in coordination as a newly-formed being.  He could add that he is finally ready to reveal to The World that he has brought inert matter to life, after years of having already done that with single cells and small amounts of molecules, which having done so way back then, might have lost continuation of the experimentation to others, who'd have been more well funded by their governments, and he'd be quickly forgotten, and wouldn't go on to great fame. 

Also, it seems unbelievable that ALL the scientist's work on this project will be lost, just because he dropped the bottle containing the newly-living cells, and it broke, and the ectoplasmic and endoplasmic living matter (seems to be a thick liquid) is lost to posterity (e.g. he won't be able to re-create it).  What kind of a scientist doesn't take notes??? (That's the theme of a Donald Duck story written and drawn by a colleague of mine at Dutch Disney Comics(Volker Reiche) in 1980, titled "The Soul of Science", in which Donald, as an aspiring chemist, takes a job as janitor in a top-lever chemistry lab, and changes the professor's experiment at night, when everyone is gone, creates a new substance, but when ready to show the big-wigs his results, drops the beaker holding it, it spills all over the floor, and cannot prove he made anything worthwhile because he forgot to take notes on what he did.

It's rather illogical that a metal suit of armour comes alive as a unit, because a small beaker of the liquid breaks on its breastplate.  A few minutes later, the ENTIRE suit of armour comes to life (without getting charged with lightning from the storm!)  The spilled living cells that came alive from the lightning bolt (apparently changing the molecular structure of the chemicals Professor Cowles mixed together), seeped into the metal of the breastplate, and made the entire suit of armour come alive!  And not only THAT, but also "has the urge to KILL!"There is a brain that was formed from metal molecules that changed to biological structures and changed the separate pieces of metal into a single operating unit, complete with a brain complex enough to provide it a "WILL" to want to kill living organisms (at least, humans (animals)).  To "kill" the demonic living suit of armour, Cowles' assistant tosses some VERY strong acid on the back and front of its breastplate. The outer shell (metallic armour) melts, and a Human skeleton is left.  The story ends with The Scientist screaming: "What have we done?"  He laments that they killed a Human that he "made" from metal!  Clearly there are places where Mankind should not dare to go! It's a DEEP, DEEP story idea, but not well thought out, and thus, has too many illogical story elements (many of which could be avoided).

(6) Nightmare World - by Basil Wolverton
Having known only Wolverton's comedic stories and strips, I could see by the bizarreness of his characters' actions, and their ugliness, and the basic ugliness of his cartoony World, that he was a DEEP, DEEP thinker, and a tortured one, at that.  And this story proves that theory, to me.  Herman Lasher (and perhaps Mr. Wolverton, had they known about it) might have been tempted to take doses of LSD.  After all, it was found to have psychedelic effects on users in 1943.  This truly nightmarish story looks like an advertisement or public welfare message, warning against taking illicit drugs for recreational purposes or to satisfy curiosity.  It has a similar warning feel to that of "Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde".  Don't look too deeply into Man's nature, or you might see things that you won't want to see (like the fact that the capability of deciding to kill another Human, or do cruel things to others) lies deeply inside ALL of us, and can be brought up to the surface IF the right trigger arises in the right situation.  And like I'm guessing about Wolverton, and other authors who show evidence of possible major struggling with life, I, too, share that trait.  But instead of perhaps experiencing catharsis, by getting that out of my system by drawing it and writing about it, I choose to "hide" or "escape" from the "seemier" or uglier side of life by burying myself in comedy for entertainment.  Although, my futuristic Robot stories are a mixture of lighthearted comedy and ironic black comedy.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 05:00:44 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2023, 01:44:58 AM »

Weird Tales 3

The Monster On Mars by Basil Wolverton
Immediately, I was struck by the unexpected cleanliness of panels (sparing amount of shading and texture lines  showing detail) and the attempted realism of Wolverton's Human characters, as I have only been used to the very distorted and cartoony characters in his comedy comic book stories and strips.  This is a typical Science Fantasy of the 1930s-40s type, with almost no real science.  Did people really think that the atmospheres on planets close enough for Human space vehicles to reach would bebreathable for Earth creatures? By the end of The 1940s, I, myself, as a child. knew that Humans would need to wear a space suit and helmet with an oxygen mask and source inside, or would die of asphyxiation.  I also knew that their innards (organs) would be crushed or torn apart by too much, or too little pressure.

I like the design of the Mercurian aliens, and The "Grud".  Could creatures really live on super hot and super cold, Mercury.  They would have to live just on the very edge of the all dark and all light hemispheres.  It would seem extremely unlikely that whatever atmospheres that could develop on the two very different sides of that planet, so close to its star, could support life that could become complex enough to evolve sentient beings.  The living Hand, with eyes, and keratin fingernails is an interesting (although ridiculous) idea.  And this story also includes the universal problem of the truism that languages developing in distant places, must, by definition, be very different an unintelligible to speakers of the other (combined with the fact that readers can't possibly understand a new language invented by an author).  I suppose we have to assume the long-used Science-Fiction tradition that most intelligent beings alien to Earth can communicate with all other sentient beings in our Universe, by mental telepathy.  So the dialogues between The Earthmen and aliens in this book are translations of those thoughts into 1940s American jargon. 

The story, itself, about the stranded Earthman, is interesting.  It also seems to be a first segment of a longer story, with our, unnamed hero, leaving his planet, and travelling with Princess Teba, to her country on Venus.  Was this story continued in Weird Tales 4? - Or another series from Stanley Morse/Key Publications?

The Slave Pits of Uranus by Ed Smalle
The artwork in this story is more to my taste for semi-realistic and realistic depiction.  The story has some holes.  At least, I'm glad to see that the characters ware not being slowly murdered, are wearing protective space suits and helmets with breathable air pumped in.  But the unprotected slaves would freeze to death after after probably a minute or less, exposed to the extremely cold temperature on the REAL Uranus.  The end of the evil Kazmar, would be Dictator of The Universe is a fitting turnaround.  The action scenes with the combat between the space vehicles was eye-catching.

Jumpin' Jupiter by Basil Wolverton
Now we come to the side of Wolverton of which I am well conversant, his totally bizarre cartoony style in tongue-in-cheek, zany comedy vignettes, with grotesque-looking characters, poking ironic jabs at life and The Human condition (complete with signs containing utter silliness, in pun, or rhyming form).  I love the predatory female character, who has unbelievably weird taste in men, and the really ugly male character she was chasing.

Frontiers of Tomorrow - Text article

Thanks for all your comments Robb. Of course what you say is true, it would be highly unlikely for humanoid creatures to be able to survive on Mercury, or to speak any language that an Earth dweller would understand. But equally, as you say, without such conveniences, the story itself would be impossible.

However, I think that your upbringing and education must have differed considerably from mine, because in my childhood, the practical circumstances under which humans could survive in space was of a far lesser consideration to me than whether I found the art enticing or the adventure exciting!  So thanks for putting up with the unrealities of Wolverton's tale, I hope you found his art interesting.  Sorry to say I can't find a follow up to this story anywhere, so Princess Teba is never seen again. I'm glad to see Jumpin' Jupiter offered some amusement, and I look forward to your observations as they continue.

For anyone less conversant with Wolverton's career in comics, here's a link to the Lambiek article, which you might find enlightening:

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/w/wolverton.htm

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2023, 09:35:39 AM »

Mister Mystery 7
I can't help wondering why Wolverton's Poe-like psychological horror drama "The Brain Bats of Venus" was tossed in with Mr. Mystery's reasonably-realistic crime mystery stories, in a Mister Mystery book.  It doesn't fit at all.  It should have been in "Weird Tales", or a Horror genre book.  And "The Wedding Eve would also fit much better in "Weird Tales".  Overall, it was a weird book, with 2 stories that didn't belong - one in the wrong genre, and the other, a terribly inadequate script.

(1) The Brain-Bats of Venus
Yet another deep, very dark story by Basil.  Great scary atmosphere.  Some of his best semi-realistic artwork I've seen. Good suspense, all the way until the end.  I can see why it is referred to as a classic.

(2) The Killer!  by John Bulthuis
What a weird fantasy story.  I'm surprised it is in the same book as the extremely dark Wolverton lead story.

(3) What's in a Name - Text Story
$50,000 US is nothing now, compared to what it was in 1950.  It certainly wouldn't be worth spending 5 years in prison, and forever after not being trusted by potential employers (and so, doomed to a life of crime,  just to make ends meet).  A wasted story that telegraphed the ending from the beginning.  No point in reading it. 

(4) The Man Who Beat The Chair (Narrated by Mr. Mystery) - by Ed Smalle
Realistic fiction about The US criminal justice system, and how organised crime operated.  Fairly predictable but not worthless reading.

(5) The Wedding Eve (Narrated by Mr. Mystery) - by Ed Smalle
A typical "door to the past", or "door to the alternate World, or other dimension" story.  Did The Keltic Druids really sacrifice adults to their War God?  "Sigrid" is a Germanic, rather than Keltic name.  Would Kelts have used it?  Or if she had been a Germanic prisoner of a Keltic tribe, why would she WANT to be sacrificed to THEIR war god (who was the same being as her war god???  The author forgot Sigrid had said she was being sacrificed to the war god, then she mentioned wanting to be sacrificed to Hurth, the REAL god of fire, rather than the false one they thought Al (the story's hero) was.  Very disjointed storyline.  When Al fell back into his own dimension (where he left in 1922), it was now 1952.  He had lost 32 years.  And although she was only likely in her late 50s, his betrothed, Joan, unexpectedly dies in his arms.  Perhaps she had been slowly dying of cancer, and had only hung on hoping against hope that he'd somehow return to her, to say goodbye to him.  This author probably banged out this story in less than hour, and didn't even re-read it before submitting it to his editor, who likely approved it only after skimming through it, because of a pending deadline, and just handed it to the artist, immediately. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 04:58:58 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2023, 11:02:33 AM »

Glad you enjoyed them FraBig and thanks for all the work you've put in to creating your comic collections, they're greatly appreciated.
All the best
K1ngcat

Thanks, it's always fun to make those. I'm glad you appreciate them!
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2023, 01:42:24 AM »

Weird Tales 3

Nightmare World - by Basil Wolverton
Having known only Wolverton's comedic stories and strips, I could see by the bizarreness of his characters' actions, and their ugliness, and the basic ugliness of his cartoony World, that he was a DEEP, DEEP thinker, and a tortured one, at that.  And this story proves that theory, to me.  Herman Lasher (and perhaps Mr. Wolverton, had they known about it) might have been tempted to take doses of LSD.  After all, it was found to have psychedelic effects on users in 1943.  This truly nightmarish story looks like an advertisement or public welfare message, warning against taking illicit drugs for recreational purposes or to satisfy curiosity.  It has a similar warning feel to that of "Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde".  Don't look too deeply into Man's nature, or you might see things that you won't want to see (like the fact that the capability of deciding to kill another Human, or do cruel things to others) lies deeply inside ALL of us, and can be brought up to the surface IF the right trigger arises in the right situation.  And like I'm guessing about Wolverton, and other authors who show evidence of possible major struggling with life, I, too, share that trait.  But instead of perhaps experiencing catharsis, by getting that out of my system by drawing it and writing about it, I choose to "hide" or "escape" from the "seemier" or uglier side of life by burying myself in comedy for entertainment.  Although, mu futuristic Robot stories are a mixture of lighthearted comedy and ironic black comedy.

I don't mind admitting that, as a child of the mid-sixties, feeling part of the "Summer of Love", I did my own "experimenting" with LSD and a few other mind-altering drugs. And trust me, those experiences were quite unpredictable and could be as unsettling as they could be enjoyable. But irrespective of whether Wolverton may have done anything similar, he was, as you say, a deep thinker, with strong religious convictions. In spite of those, he lost his faith for fourteen years after his parents' divorce, and didn't embrace it again until later in life when he became involved in his Bible illustrations, which are quite impressive and worthy of more than a passing glance.

All I would say is, that like anyone capable of reason, he would have been aware of what a thin line there is between the loving and nurturing side of human nature, and the hateful and destructive side which lives within all of us. But unlike many others, he had the artistic ability to tap into that and wasn't afraid to show the world as it can sometimes be, strange and terrifying.

Sweet dreams, everyone!  ;)
All the best
K1ngcat
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:44:31 AM by K1ngcat »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2023, 02:22:43 AM »

Ibis The invincible 3
This book will be interesting to me as I've never liked stories dealing with magic (e.g. things that happen against what is known from scientific study, that, therefore, seem impossible).

(1) Ibis 1 - Menace of The Jaguar Men - by Gus Ricca
The Black Panther of India is a misnomer.  It is actually a species of Asian Leopard.  THAT must be the animal portrayed in this story.  Jaguars live in the wild only in South and mainly Central America and tropical Mexico. The Indian panthers range in weight from about 100 to 200 lbs.  The panthers pictured look to be about 7 feet long.  So they would weigh about 190-200 lbs.  At that weight, they should be about 6-9 times stronger than a 180 lb muscular man.  With their superstrong jaws, they can lift and drag an over 1200 ib carcass.  Ibis doesn't look overly muscular.  I really doubt that he could have uplifted and flung the panther off of himself, and to that distance of what looks to be more than 10 feet away.  And his magic wand was knocked away.  So the author seems to be implying that Ibis was NOT using magic in saving himself with that acrobatic move.

The Jaguar (Panther) Men apparently use black magic to change into panthers. Their bite changed Ibis into a panther.  But Ibis' female sidekick, Taia, used his Ibstick (magic wand) to change him back to human.  Ibis declines to use his magic to fight the last Panther/Jaguar Man, and defeats him, killed in a fall from a high window.  The story has a really weak, cheap, disappointing ending, in which Ibis uses magic to drain all the evil out of the hunting trophy Panther head on hunter, Fenimore's wall.

(2) Bagdad - 1 Page Gag - by Victor Pazmiño
Boring, obvious gag.  And I never liked VEP's drawing style.

(3) Don't Use Your Whip! - Text Story - by Carl G. Hodges
Okay story, but, the ending was obvious most of the way.

(4) Little Albert - 1-Page Gag
A little funny, but expected as a possible ending.

(5) Ibis 2 - Music Madness - by Gus Ricca
An interesting idea for a story - an enchanted music box with an evil curse on it, that unleashes evil musical notes that commit evil deeds.  They are cries of anguish from sinners suffering in Hell.  The leader of the notes is an evil G-Clef (The Master of Discord)! Ibis defeats the Clef by playing a happy melody on his harmonica.  Taia is so relieved to be free of the torturous noise that after burning the evil music box she relents, and agrees to listen to Ibis' horrible harmonica playing.  A chuckle at the end, when Ibis admits that his playing is horrible, and vows to never pick it up again, finishes off an unusual, lighthearted story.

(6) Mystic Moot & His Magic Snoot - by Basil Wolverton
I know this series well from Fawcett's "Comic Comics".  I didn't remember that Moot was from East Walla Walla, Washington! A joke in itself, if you know Walla Walla!  ;D.
Like Pinocchio holds his conscience in his nose, Mystic Moot holds his potent magical Powers in his nose.  He literally has "A nose for Magic"!  This seems to be the Introduction to the series.  And there were no Mystic Moot "stories" in "Ibis1" and "Ibis2".  Actually, I know this story from somewhere (maybe "The Basil Wolverton Collection"?

An amusing ride through the bizarre comedic World of Wolverton's comedy genre stories.  The joke ideas are more Vaudeville and Burlesque style than clever but Basil's artwork is very funny.  And this story is particulary "clean", with very little, or none of the hashed detail lines he usually used, even in his comedy stories.

(7) Ibis 3 - Battles Karlan, Last of The Sorcerers - by Gus Ricca
Ibis fights one of his old nemises, Karlan The Sorceror, who escaped The Egyptian Pharaoh's judgement of death sentence 3000 years ago.  To escape Ibis' magic, Karlan returns to Purgatory, but takes a hostage with him, the young boy who found a book of his old Black Magic spells.  Ibis follows Karlan to Purgatory to save Bobby (who had been changed into an evil black cat, who forgot who he had been).  Up to the climax, it is an interesting and entertaining story.  Then, in the typical letdown of many, if not most stories depending upon magic, the author ruins the story by reaching the solution cheaply, by the Magician/Sorceror waving a magic wand and saying magic words, and the evil vanishes instantly, or villain is defeated instantly, and THIS reader (as should ALL reader be) is left, terribly disappointed (having been cheated out of a clever, or, at least, an earned conclusion and resolution to the story's problem). 

That is the essence of why I strongly dislike stories depending mainly upon the use of magic.  The only way to bring even SOME worth to such stories would be to build up a strong background of skill in knowledge of magical tools, including magic spells, potions, and developing magical settings that support completing a task to work a magic action, and honing the skills in their use, by the protagonist Magician or Sorcerer/Sorceress.  Then, the hero/protagonist could become "Human", in that he or she has the possibility of failing in attempted tasks (actions) at any given time.  That is basically, the same problem I have with Superheroes and their stories.  And it is also why stories in which the author has not developed the character of the protagonist enough, are not interesting, because that character can't "come alive" for the reader or viewer, and so, cannot identify with the humanness/humanity of that character through having at least one(but mostly more than one) similar traits to him or her. 

If this series would have shown Ibis studying his ancient books of spells, potions, and magical rituals, and becoming evermore skilled, and sometimes showing him fail due to Human foibles, we might identify with him as an honest, hard-working person, who is dedicated to his career, and pull for him as a man worthy of praise, instead of thinking of him as an automaton - "policeman", who, ALWAYS, with virtually no effort, waves a stick and stops people from committing crimes and other anti-social behaviour.  And all is again good with The World.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:34:30 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2023, 01:50:05 AM »

Ibis The invincible 3
This book will be interesting to me as I've never liked stories dealing with magic (e.g. things that happen against what is known from scientific study, that, therefore, seem impossible).

(1) Ibis 1 - Menace of The Jaguar Men - by Gus Ricca
The Black Panther of India is a misnomer.  It is actually a species of Asian Leopard.  THAT must be the animal portrayed in this story.  Jaguars live in the wild only in South and mainly Central America and tropical Mexico. The Indian panthers range in weight from about 100 to 200 lbs.  The panthers pictured look to be about 7 feet long.  So they would weigh about 190-200 lbs.  At that weight, they should be about 6-9 times stronger than a 180 lb muscular man.  With their superstrong jaws, they can lift and drag an over 1200 ib carcass.  Ibis doesn't look overly muscular.  I really doubt that he could have uplifted and flung the panther off of himself, and to that distance of what looks to be more than 10 feet away.  And his magic wand was knocked away.  So the author seems to be implying that Ibis was NOT using magic in saving himself with that acrobatic move.

The Jaguar (Panther) Men apparently use black magic to change into panthers. Their bite changed Ibis into a panther.  But Ibis' female sidekick, Taia, used his Ibstick (magic wand) to change him back to human.  Ibis declines to use his magic to fight the last Panther/Jaguar Man, and defeats him, killed in a fall from a high window.  The story has a really weak, cheap, disappointing ending, in which Ibis uses magic to drain all the evil out of the hunting trophy Panther head on hunter, Fenimore's wall.

(2) Bagdad - 1 Page Gag - by Victor Pazmiño
Boring, obvious gag.  And I never liked VEP's drawing style.

(3) Don't Use Your Whip! - Text Story - by Carl G. Hodges
Okay story, but, the ending was obvious most of the way.

(4) Little Albert - 1-Page Gag
A little funny, but expected as a possible ending.

(5) Ibis 2 - Music Madness - by Gus Ricca
An interesting idea for a story - an enchanted music box with an evil curse on it, that unleashes evil musical notes that commit evil deeds.  They are cries of anguish from sinners suffering in Hell.  The leader of the notes is an evil G-Clef (The Master of Discord)! Ibis defeats the Clef by playing a happy melody on his harmonica.  Taia is so relieved to be free of the torturous noise that after burning the evil music box she relents, and agrees to listen to Ibis' horrible harmonica playing.  A chuckle at the end, when Ibis admits that his playing is horrible, and vows to never pick it up again, finishes off an unusual, lighthearted story.

(6) Mystic Moot & His Magic Snoot - by Basil Wolverton
I know this series well from Fawcett's "Comic Comics".  I didn't remember that Moot was from East Walla Walla, Washington! A joke in itself, if you know Walla Walla!  ;D.
Like Pinocchio holds his conscience in his nose, Mystic Moot holds his potent magical Powers in his nose.  He literally has "A nose for Magic"!  This seems to be the Introduction to the series.  And there were no Mystic Moot "stories" in "Ibis1" and "Ibis2".  Actually, I know this story from somewhere (maybe "The Basil Wolverton Collection"?

An amusing ride through the bizarre comedic World of Wolverton's comedy genre stories.  The joke ideas are more Vaudeville and Burlesque style than clever but Basil's artwork is very funny.  And this story is particulary "clean", with very little, or none of the hashed detail lines he usually used, even in his comedy stories.

(7) Ibis 3 - Battles Karlan, Last of The Sorcerers - by Gus Ricca
Ibis fights one of his old nemises, Karlan The Sorceror, who escaped The Egyptian Pharaoh's judgement of death sentence 3000 years ago.  To escape Ibis' magic, Karlan returns to Purgatory, but takes a hostage with him, the young boy who found a book of his old Black Magic spells.  Ibis follows Karlan to Purgatory to save Bobby (who had been changed into an evil black cat, who forgot who he had been).  Up to the climax, it is an interesting and entertaining story.  Then, in the typical letdown of many, if not most stories depending upon magic, the author ruins the story by reaching the solution cheaply, by the Magician/Sorceror waving a magic wand and saying magic words, and the evil vanishes instantly, or villain is defeated instantly, and THIS reader (as should ALL reader be) is left, terribly disappointed (having been cheated out of a clever, or, at least, an earned conclusion and resolution to the story's problem). 

That is the essence of why I strongly dislike stories depending mainly upon the use of magic.  The only way to bring even SOME worth to such stories would be to build up a strong background of skill in knowledge of magical tools, including magic spells, potions, and developing magical settings that support completing a task to work a magic action, and honing the skills in their use, by the protagonist Magician or Sorcerer/Sorceress.  Then, the hero/protagonist could become "Human", in that he or she has the possibility of failing in attempted tasks (actions) at any given time.  That is basically, the same problem I have with Superheroes and their stories.  And it is also why stories in which the author has not developed the character of the protagonist enough, are not interesting, because that character can't "come alive" for the reader or viewer, and so, cannot identify with the humanness/humanity of that character through having at least one(but mostly more than one) similar traits to him or her. 

If this series would have shown Ibis studying his ancient books of spells, potions, and magical rituals, and becoming evermore skilled, and sometimes showing him fail due to Human foibles, we might identify with him as an honest, hard-working person, who is dedicated to his career, and pull for him as a man worthy of praise, instead of thinking of him as an automaton - "policeman", who, ALWAYS, with virtually no effort, waves a stick and stops people from committing crimes and other anti-social behaviour.  And all is again good with The World.

I'm in complete agreement with you Robb. There is no suggestion that Ibis has spent countless nights poring over ancient tomes, trying to increase his knowledge and hone his craft. He doesn't need to because that damn stick fixes everything. I'm sure it could end famine, war, and even global warming if he wanted it to, but instead he mucks about with minor problems like a local policeman. And he doesn't even speak his spells backwards or gesture hypnotically like some wizards I could think of. For my money, Mystic Moot is the most genuinely creative piece in the whole comic, all praise to Basil Wolverton. But thanks for your observations as always, it's good to to hear from  you.

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2023, 02:24:09 AM »

Sorry I wasn't around much this time. It's been one of those weeks. But I've appreciated all the discussions. Thanks to everyone who commented on the music ad. I was thinking it was just like one of those record clubs they used to advertise. I was a member of one of those for a while, back in the day when they would send you vinyl through the mail. I hadn't noticed that the artists weren't listed in the ad and I wasn't aware of all the behind-the-scenes machinations of musos trying to earn a living and record presses beating copyright. Interesting discussion.

Thanks everyone

QQ
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2023, 02:03:45 AM »

Sorry I wasn't around much this time. It's been one of those weeks. But I've appreciated all the discussions. Thanks to everyone who commented on the music ad. I was thinking it was just like one of those record clubs they used to advertise. I was a member of one of those for a while, back in the day when they would send you vinyl through the mail. I hadn't noticed that the artists weren't listed in the ad and I wasn't aware of all the behind-the-scenes machinations of musos trying to earn a living and record presses beating copyright. Interesting discussion.

Thanks everyone

QQ

No need to apologise, QQ, I'm sure we all have lives that take precedence over the forum. I appreciate all the time that you put into your observations, it's good to have you on "the team."
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2023, 06:40:48 AM »

OK! My dirty little secret comes out. I have never been a fan of Basil Wolverton!   
I don't have any particular negative feelings about him, just have never been attracted to his visual style.
So here I go, dipping my feet into the water.

1) Weird Tales #3 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=40515
CoverConsidering how grotesque that monster is, she doesn't seen very preturbed.
The monster on Mars. I quite like this. Basically a fairy tale motif, - Main character is kind to a hideous monster and is later rewared when said monster turns out to be a beautiful prince or princess.
The Slave Pits of Uranus (6 pages)
The villain is drawn as a Ming clone. There were a lot of those. Physicall details on the planets totally wrong of coursee - we know bettter now.
Jumpin' Jupiter
Well, this is like early Mad Magazine. I suspect Basil W. had a bit of an infulence on Mad magazine and it's clones. What's a 'cosmic book'?  Sounds like something i'd like to read!
Frontiers of Tomorrow.
The thought then was, if we get to the moon we can just keep going and regularly send people up there.
What actually happened was that We hadn't figured out how to make the trip economically and be able to come back and do multiple trips in the same vessel, so we have explored the Solar System virtually with Satelites and Telescopes. 
The Desert Castle
What is a castle doing in the Nevada desert?
The art is grotesque, but in a different way to Basil W's art. And I think the artist has deliberately made it grortesque. Weird ending.
Nightmare World
Some of this environment is reminiscent of Steve Ditko.
Ok, this is quite a good book, starting to like it.
Don't know which scanner did the very last page but it's quite funny.   

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 10:53:30 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2023, 07:06:43 AM »

2} Mister Mystery #7 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=21322

The Brain Bats of Venus
A Space Ship has a rudder?
This narrative is like an EC Science Fiction book.
Do you mind?
Mind your own business.
Mind out!
The Killer! (6 pages)
A 1952 'Green' hero? What year did Bambi come out?
The Man Who Beat the Chair!
Nice little ethics twist, which you could see coming, actually! 
The Wedding Eve!
Nothing special.
Brain Bats of Venus is clearly the outstanding story here!
Cheers!

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2023, 07:38:30 AM »

Ibis the Invincible #3 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=59127
Menace of the Jaguar Men
Well done, just the right level of creepy. The creators of the story don't show much sympathy for the hunter, which is as it should be.
Little Albert
Not funny, but amusing.
Music Madness
Clever, original and funny!
'From now on, I'll listen to you play."
You'll be spared that too, TAIA. I've concluded that I'll never be an Harmonica player!'
Mystic Moot and his Magic Snoot.
After the preceeding stories, this hits you between the eyes. Stands out!
Great fun!
IBIS - to my knowledge DC has never used this character? Am I right?
Perhaps they thought they already had Dr Fate?
Kingcat - good choices!
QQ will be here tomorrow!

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2023, 09:35:41 AM »

IBIS - to my knowledge DC has never used this character? Am I right?

They have, but not a lot and usually in group settings.

The first big use was as part of the Earth-S heroes fighting alongside the JLA & JSA in Justice League of America 135 to 137.

Pretty sure he could be seen amongst the bands of magic users in some of the Crisis On Infinite Earth stories.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2023, 04:48:10 PM »

Yeah, DC never used him that much. They introduced a version of him in their mainstream universe in 1996, and then gave him a modern times successor in 2007. Both characters have less than 20 appearances, though.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2023, 05:31:20 PM »

2} Mister Mystery #7 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=21322

A 1952 'Green' hero? What year did Bambi come out?

Cheers!

I believe Bambi was made between 1939 and 1941, and was first released to theatres in 1942.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 05:37:58 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.