in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #292 The unusual art of Basil Wolverton

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #292 The unusual art of Basil Wolverton  (Read 2553 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Reading Group #292 The unusual art of Basil Wolverton
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2023, 04:48:18 PM »

Panther is not the only one who's not a fan of Mr. Wolverton's art.  I don't like it at all.  As I've had a lot on my plate recently - a bereavement - I've not read the books but as it was Wolverton I flicked through some pages.  Nope.  Don't get it.  At all. The illustrations always look ugly to me. 
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2023, 05:32:03 PM »

Sometimes that's exactly what Wolverton is looking for: depicting grotesque uglyness and exaggerated features  in characters is one of his trademarks. As I'm not really a fan of that comedic art style (which can be seen in Mystic Moot or Jumpin' Jupiter), I can understand. But I always found his more realistic stuff lovely (especially his sci-fi bits). Always loved his geometric style and the way he's able to give three-dimensionality to shapes.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2023, 05:51:06 PM »

Sometimes that's exactly what Wolverton is looking for: depicting grotesque uglyness and exaggerated features  in characters is one of his trademarks. As I'm not really a fan of that comedic art style (which can be seen in Mystic Moot or Jumpin' Jupiter), I can understand. But I always found his more realistic stuff lovely (especially his sci-fi bits). Always loved his geometric style and the way he's able to give three-dimensionality to shapes.

I have always felt the same about ALL of Wolverton's work.  It is not only artwork depicting ugliness.  To me, it is also "ugly artwork", which looks too dark, cluttered, and distorted, for my taste.  That is why I never liked the US Underground comics of the 1970s and '80s, which seem to have been partly inspired by Wolverton's work.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2023, 06:11:15 PM »

I see. I've always considered Robert Crumb's art a bit similar to comedic/grotesque Wolverton, and I'm not a fan of Crumb. But I still feel like Wolverton's more grounded and realistic stuff is enjoyable, as far as to say he's probably one of my favourite Golden Age artists when it comes to sci-fi. Spacehawk is a great example of that side of Wolverton's art.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2023, 10:12:36 PM »

Panther is not the only one who's not a fan of Mr. Wolverton's art.  I don't like it at all.  As I've had a lot on my plate recently - a bereavement - I've not read the books but as it was Wolverton I flicked through some pages.  Nope.  Don't get it.  At all. The illustrations always look ugly to me.

I must admit that I wasn't crazy about the art either, though I can appreciate the skill of the artist. They have a bit of a horror element, and I'm not into horror because it creeps me out and I tend to dwell on it. Even though the horror element wasn't too strong in these, I did find some of the art tending to the horror/creepy side (such as the hand with the eye). But maybe that's just me. Even as a kid, I couldn't watch 'Jack and the Beanstalk' because the giant was too scary. I read a book on classic American comic books a while ago that had a chapter on each different genre. I got halfway through the horror chapter and had to skip to the next chapter because the images were creeping me out - LOL I love suspense and thriller as long as it doesn't tip into horror.

Sorry to hear above your bereavement. Take care

QQ
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2023, 01:22:35 AM »

Well guys, I've always known that Wolverton was what they call a "polarising figure" so I'm not   surprised to find some negative reviews for his work, but I appreciate all the time and thought you've given to your postings, it's been good to hear from you.

And paw, sorry to hear of your loss, as QQ says, take care.

Best wishes to all
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2023, 06:36:04 AM »

Even though I've spent a lot of time indoors thanks to unending rain, enough day-to-day nonsense popped up to keep me from staying  current with the Reading Group. Let's see if I can catch up.

Weird Tales of the Future #3

In the like-him-or-dislike-him debate over Basil Wolverton, I come down slightly on the "dislike" side of center. I've always liked his space stuff more than his horror or humor. His fusion of 20's s-f magazine drawing and streamline deco design appeals to me. The likes of Spacehawk and Stratosphere Patrol are my favorite Wolverton.

"Monster on Mars" has more of that vibe than the rest of these stories. Wolverton had a heck of an imagination. No one else would dream up a giant talking hand to disguise the beautiful princess. The lightly-dressed figures call attention to the fact that Wolverton wasn't the world's best figure artist. His guys look better encased in their iron spacesuits.

There's no way I can think of "The Slave Pits of Uranus" without thinking it's a proctologist's nightmare. This is unremarkable typical 50s comic-book s-f. It's funny that the artist swiped Ming for the bad guy but didn't swipe Flash Gordon and Dale for the protagonists. It makes me think using Ming was Smalle's joke rather than a copout. The ending is a little off. The slaves are still going to die of radiation poisoning in the pits, but supposedly that's okay since Ming will rot along with them.

I've never quite been able to get into Wolverton's humor strips. I'm not sure why not, because his love for word play is right up my alley. The alliteration, puns, and silly signs are like those in "Smokey Stover." But Bill Holman cracks me up and Basil Wolverton seems flat. Why? Ask my therapist. I have to agree with Robb that the underground-style rendering looks clunky. "Jupiter Jones" isn't terrible, but not my cuppa.

Tony Mortellaro's art on "The Desert Castle" fits right into the book's title: weird. The characters' heads get bigger and bigger until they look like Supermarionation puppets. Adding to the impression is the way that Cowles' face is drawn the same in every panel, as if Mortellaro was afraid he'd lose the likeness if he changed the expression. The story makes no sense. "Live cells," even sentient ones animating a suit of armor, don't need to generate a human skeleton. Whatever. But then the story title doesn't make much sense either. Is this some comics author's first script?

"Nightmare World:" trippy, unsettling, darkly imaginative. Hard to forget, hard to like.

Mister Mystery #7

Of all the weird-story comic book hosts, Mister Mystery is the least impressive. He's just some middle-aged guy wearing a top hat and--heh, heh--a dime store carnival mask.

"The Brain Bats of Venus:" I'll confess, this story hits some deep nerve. It genuinely creeps me out. I must not be the only one, considering how widely-known it is. I like the s-f aspect of the art but the brain bats--ugh.

"The Killer" tries hard to be fairy-tale like but it misses the point. Why did the forest folk need Ernest to "free" them from Hackman if they had the toothy giant? The big guy could have sneaked up behind the hunter whenever he was alone in the woods. The forest folks' original plan--to get Ernest to murder Hackman--cost them my sympathy. I half expected that it'd be Ernest who suffered an awful fate at their hands. At least Ernest gets to hang out with the fairies after he goes nuts instead of being locked in an institution.

"The Man Who Beat the Chair" belongs in a second-rate crime comic. It's only six pages long and seems to last forever.

I can't figure out if we're supposed to empathize Al in "The Wedding Eve." He comes off as a jerk on page one, seems to be dragged into the other world by accident rather than design on page two, and can't seem to make up his mind what to do when confronted with the warring tribes. Except smoke his pipe. Come on! You expect me to believe that even a "man of meditation," faced with a horde of furious vikings threatening him with "a thousand terrible deaths," would light up his pipe "to comfort him in times of stress"? Gimme a break! The one thing he seems sure of is that he wants to save Sigurd, the other-world Joan. Which he almost does until she dumps him. It seems like the real-world Joan gets the short end of the stick in this one. If he'd got Sigurd through the door would she have stayed young? It's all too confusing.

By the way, Mister Mystery somehow looks even further over the hill in this story than in the earlier ones. I feel sorry for the guy. A faded trouper, living on memories of treading the boards in vaudeville days, now eking out a pittance narrating second-rate weird stories.

Ibis the Invincible #3

I guess I'm in a hard-to-please mood tonight. Ibis the Invincible is one of two Fawcett superheroes that strike me as irredeemably stupid. The other is Kid Eternity. Though KE's total lack of internal consistency makes him hard to take, I do find some things to like in his stories. Ibis, on the other hand, is just a bore.

That damned Ibistick can do anything, but for the stories to work Ibis must use it only when it serves the plot and he must use only enough power to meet the immediate challenge. At any point he could say, "Ibistick, find all the Jaguar Men and render them permanently powerless!" Problem solved. The only way Ibis can't solve a problem is when he doesn't have the stick. So time after time he loses the blooming Ibistick. He trips. He's bopped from behind. He drops it in a fight. You'd think he'd have attached it to a wrist strap by now.

"Music Madness" is the one story that's real fun, because of the wacky concept of a world of living musical notes. Gus Ricca's designs are wonderful.

Gus Ricca deserves special note. Like Bud Thompson, he was a solid artist with a hint of Mac Raboy influence who drew many fine pages yet is basically forgotten. His art's the high point of the issue.

"Mystic Moot" gets the same reaction as "Jupiter Jones." It's clever in places, but it just doesn't raise a laugh.

"Karlan the Sorceror" is a typical Ibis story. You'd think, though, that after taking up so much time establishing Bobby and turning him into a black cat that the writer would have given him a bigger part in the action beyond making Ibis lose his $%#$%! stick. Again. The ending was a surprise, though. I didn't realize the Ibistick couldn't be used against Ibis. But in the Jaguar Men story, Talia uses the stick against Ibis--at Ibis' urging--and it doesn't blow him up, it cures him of jaguarism. What's a little inconsistency between friends?
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2023, 11:25:44 AM »

You beat me to it. "Weid Tales" is clearly a grotesque mindset in artistic terms and for that reason I can completely understand why this artist is/was considered Marmite, "Ibis the Invincible" however, looks far more conventional to me and I don't mean this negatively. In fact I'd say the quality is above average for its time and would certainly be better than the vast majority of modern comics.

Thank you for this thread, K1ngcat, I learned something.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2023, 09:13:54 PM »

Yeah, guys, I have no problems with Gus Ricca's art on Ibis, I think he's pretty good - it's the dependence on that goldarn stick that winds me up! Spacehawk is definitely my favourite Wolverton, and we've got such a lovely collection of it, but I didn't know how to choose just one or two episodes, so for better or worse, I avoided it completely.  Still appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts, whichever side of the Wolverton fence you come down on!

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2023, 10:05:42 PM »

The reading group is good for me as I read and comment on every choice and as many of the choices are not ones I would have made, I get to read and think about in detail, books that I otherwise would not have read.
So thanks Kingcat, for putting me in a position to look more closely at Basil Wolverton. Normally, his art is such that I don't have a strong inlcination to read on, but this time I did. Good selections, I quite enjoyed tham and have a better appreciation of Basil as a story-teller.   
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.