in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #303: Speed Comics 1

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #303: Speed Comics 1  (Read 1012 times)

EHowie60

message icon
Reading Group #303: Speed Comics 1
« on: August 07, 2023, 12:44:03 AM »

Hello all! EHowie60 here, long time commenter getting back into the reading group. A thanks to The Australian Panther for generously giving me his spot in the rotation. I wanted to highlight a book I read back in 2017:

Speed Comics #1. In particular, I’d like to highlight the cover’s Shock Gibson story, which is among the wildest I have ever read on this site, and also the backup Three Aces story, which features an…unusual character for an American comic from 1939.

Let me know what you think! I certainly have some thoughts on this book, and I’ll share ‘em once others have chimed in.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25812
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 03:49:30 AM by EHowie60 »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #303: Speed Comics 1
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 12:57:02 PM »

Looks like an interesting selection, EHowie60. I’ll look forward to reading it.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 06:02:52 PM »

Ehowie60, Shock Gibson was a total hoot. There's a panel where he's in his office reading the paper that reminded me of something similar in Don Martin's CAPTAIN KLUTZ. Cracked me right up. The tail fin hat varied in height and shape a lot, but that's the golden age. Everything flowed along, and it would be a great dime spent back in the day.
The zombies made me sing 'One eyed, one horned flying purple people eater'...accept they were green. And you have to love Death Ray Number 10. I actually flipped back to see if there was a number 9. 
The Three Aces story, had, of course, the German ex-pat you alluded to. But that's a tradition that dates back at least to the old westerns where the Indian guides navigate the land for the settlers, and later showed up with Russians willing to help Americans get in (or out) from behind The Iron Curtain. Nothing like a delicatessen accent.
But how could the guys tell the difference between guerilla fighters and some locals who just wanted to stomp a loud mouthed jackass? 

thanks for pointing out an enjoyable comic
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 01:37:31 AM »

Speed #1

Terrific cover, and a pretty impressive splash page for Shock Gibson. So lighting and chemicals combine to give you super powers? I'm pretty sure something like that happened to some guy called Barry Allen, back in the sixties!  :) I love the way he designs and makes a costume in the space of one panel, and next thing you know he's setting himself up in an office. Does he have business cards and a secretary too? Oh well, there's time for all that, the most important job is crushing corruption. :D

I love it when he follows the plane with the ultra magnet, and jumps from building to building (I bet he could even jump over one with a single bound!) The full page when he crashes into Baron Von Kampf's HQ is pretty neat too. I see the Baron has at least ten death rays, plus Zombies - DEADLY Zombies, and a volcano, some lions, a captive movie star, and a look like something out of Dr Caligari's cabinet. Yet despite all this, Shock prevails, wins the girl, and ruins all the Baron's plans. What a guy!

His intuition is right, though, the Baron is back again in the next issue.  >:(

This would make such a great movie!  Thanks EHowie60, looking forward to reading more in the days to come.
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 03:57:32 AM »

Speed Comics #1

The Human Dynamo
Those zombies don't even look like zombies, why not call them something else like yetis?
How does Baron Von Kampf know of Shock Gibson? Did Shock have off-panel adventures between his origin and the story we read here?
Why doesn't Von Kampf use his control over the zombies to stop the lion?
What about the cops and corrupt politician? The reason Shock followed the plane back to Von Kampf's lair?
Otherwise a fun, breezy Golden Age hero tale.

The Three Aces
which features an…unusual character for an American comic from 1939.
The Baron is an odd choice, although there was an adventure comic strip (blanked on the name), reprinted in comic books, that likewise had a similarly accented character as a supporting player. I suspect, if they ever got back stories they'd be Austrian or some German-adjacent country like that. Also the Baron has a royal rank so might not be a supporter of Hitler.
As for the story (what there is of it) not a lot of depth or character and the heroes seem to solve their problems too easy.

The Man of a Thousand Faces
Where does Ted keep all these outfits and facial makeup?
Readable, but the story could have been better.

Spike Marlin
Okay, but nothing special.

Smoke Carter
Why isn't the fire department working with the police on this case?
Otherwise okay, if not great.

Landor, Maker of Monsters
Is that on his business cards?  ;)
Should Mary Shelly get a "original story by" credit?  ;)

Texas Tyler
Okay.

Biff Bannon
Over the top and not as funny as the creator thinks it is.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 01:30:59 AM »

Crash, Cork & The Baron

Send a bunch of flyers you've never met before to seek out a band of murderers whose hide-out you can't find. Sound a bit haphazard? So does the whole story. But surely it can't all end with an Oskey Wow-Wow? The GCD lists it as six pages and the text feature as two, so we've been short changed on this scan. The German character is unexpected, but WWII had barely begun when this story was written and America's involvement was still a couple of years away. And is it really sacrilege to strike an Arab with your bare hands?  :o

Ted Parrish is not so much the man of a Thousand Faces as the man with the Convenient Costumes. Oh, he just happened to have the nurse's uniform and the fake boobs hidden on his person when he left the studio? Sounds dodgy to me.  ;D  Same goes for the old man's jacket, hat and cane. Plenty of slam bang though, and the art's pretty good too.

Spike Marlin is a neat twist on marlin spike, a nautical instrument for working with rope and cable. Some of the art looks like Larson's trying to do an Eisner, but it's pretty patchy. The sea and the ships come off better than the figures and the action. And the Fed's so tough he can face down twenty crewmen? They don't make sailors like they used to!   ;)

More yet to come...
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 05:48:11 AM »

SPEED COMICS #1

Whee! Back to illogical, irrepressible Golden Age Fun.

Shock Gibson starts with a nice Streamline Deco-style splash. After that the art is more ordinary, but it has its moments. Norman Fallon (if it is indeed he) makes Shock generic-looking but he gives his bad guys and supporting characters some personality. I especially like the crooked politician with his bowler hat and pince nez. Jumpin' Catfish!

Shock Gibson (aka Charles Gibson, former pen and ink illustrator) gets a whopping 26 pages for his first adventure. The writer doesn't waste it on more detailed plotting. Instead he crams in four issues worth of mad scientists, monsters, lions, lava, aerial combat, and a beautiful woman with inflatable sleeves who's tough enough to overcome Von Kampf, grab a chute, and bail out of his plane. Kids who bought this comics definitely got their dime's worth.

The labels on the death rays reminds me of those wartime Alex Schomburg covers, where stereotyped Nazis and Japanese soldiers menace a busty dame and everything is carefully labeled: "secret orders," "atomic death ray," and so on, along with lots of swastikas. Can anyone make out the title of the book at the lower left corner of our page 16? It seems to read "------ by Rays." Death by Rays, maybe?

I must give a special shout out to the "zombies." Those shaggy, one-eyed beasties are--dare I say it--kinda cute. I bet that with a little kindness and attention they could be reformed. If not, well, as lions always say, "GRARF! GNARF!"
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 06:59:40 AM »

Shock Gibson (aka Charles Gibson, former pen and ink illustrator)

His name changes to Robert Gibson in issue 14. I wonder if the real artist complained to the publishers about them using his name?

Can anyone make out the title of the book at the lower left corner of our page 16? It seems to read "------ by Rays." Death by Rays, maybe?

Death by Rays does seem to be the title.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 01:25:55 AM »

Smoke Carter
Well thanks to Peter B Gillis for identifying the work of Munson Paddock, it would've taken me a while to get that. And boy, look at him go! The half-page splash, on its own, is incredibly powerful, and the first panel of page 2 is right behind it for impact. There's a great sense of immediacy in the way the story moves forward, even though the art in some of the panels is pretty minimal. Does a Fire Chief normally pack heat? And why did millionaire Leslie White have a "gang" in the first place?  I don't know, but it helps maintain the excitement. Nice one.

Landor, maker of monsters
Every cliche available is packed into this one, but why name the story after the villain of the piece? Surely they're not going to follow it up? And yet, amazingly, they do, with Landor becoming more ghastly with every issue. Oh well, he's not alone, it was done again with mad scientist Dr. Mortal in Fox's Weird Comics, and no doubt a few others. Panel 6 page 49, golly it must be cold in that castle!   :)  Notes say Bob Powell, I believe it.

Tex Tyler
I get it, he's called Baldy 'cos he's got so much hair.  I never was much of a one for Westerns, and this is no different.   :( No offence.

Biff Bannon
The Death Machine is a multiple mouse trap. Yok it up, kids. :P

There's a reason they call this kind of comic a "mixed bag" but in general I enjoyed it tremendously, I might even go ahead and read some more! Thanks to EHowie60 for posting it, hope you'll come back and do it again sometime.  :)

All the best
K1ngcat

ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 02:04:51 AM »

Shock Gibson

Well this was a hoot! The origin story is a little on the short side, but I guess we'll discover the extent of his powers as we go along. Lots of action and a few twists and turns, including an unexpected romance. Lucky that girl was waiting inside the volcano. The Baron looks like a cross between a stereotyped Japanese caricature of the times and the flying monkeys from 'The Wizard of Oz'. Given that this is 1939, I assume the 'Baron' evokes images of Nazi Germany. Japan hasn't entered the war yet, but there were things brewing on the horizon. The Zombies look more like aliens than zombies. But it doesn't matter. Shock delivers the boom at the end and gets the girl. I'd be interested to see more Shock Gibson stories to see how it develops.

I've got a busy few days coming up, so will post comments about the other stories next week.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 02:16:34 AM »

Speed #1

Terrific cover, and a pretty impressive splash page for Shock Gibson. So lighting and chemicals combine to give you super powers? I'm pretty sure something like that happened to some guy called Barry Allen, back in the sixties!  :)
K1ngcat

Yes indeedy, K1ngcat. I own a compilation volume of the Silver Age Flash. It was October 1956 when scientist Barry Allen was in his lab with 'every chemical known to science'. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning streaked into the lab, and Barry was bathed in certain unnamed chemicals whose bottles had been smashed. Thus, the Silver Age Flash was born. Then in Flash Comics #110 (Dec 1959-Jan 1960), Barry (dressed as The Flash) takes Iris West's nephew Wally West to his lab. Lo and behold, a lightning bolt comes through the window, smashes some chemicals that wash over Wally, and he becomes Kid Flash. What are the chances? Moral of the story - Stay away from chemical labs during thunderstorms  :D

Cheers

QQ
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 02:26:36 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 04:08:17 AM »

Crash, Cork, and The Baron

I usually like vagabond-adventurer stories. I remember seeing CC&B once or twice before but they didn't register. It's a lightweight debut. The story is choppy--at least, what we have of it. I don't see it getting better in the missing pages. The heroes have shticks instead of personalities and Crash smiles too #$%@! much.

The best part of the story is the splash. It's genuinely funny. I had to think a moment about why #2 ace is nicknamed "Cork." Duh. Shure an' it's a reference ta dear old Ireland. Jawohl!

I don't think they thought about The Baron in reference to Nazi Germany. The comic was probably prepared in 1938, when a lot of Americans still pretended Germany wasn't their problem. To me The Baron seems more like those noble (figuratively and literally) Prussian ex-officers who popped up in 1920s movies. The Erich von Stroheim "gentleman enemy" type. In the mid-30s Scorchy Smith palled around with an ex-WWI pilot named Himmelstoss who was an entirely sympathetic character. Und he called his pal "Scorcher Schmidt." Donnerwetter!

Ve can't haff gut Cherman sidekicks mitout ein Hans-und-Fritz accent. GRARF! GNARF!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 01:11:55 PM »

Ya, dat ess de kin uv ak-cent Eye vas talken’ bout. Gebb mee a pass-tra-mee un rye.

But guys, you all broke my heart. I left page 29 panel 3 alone, figuring you’d all tear into the dialogue;”You fellas hang around i the background while I talk big...They’re bound to expose themselves.”

Nothing. I know, too easy a pitch. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

I forgot to mention; Shock Gibson predicted the future. Kim Jong Il kidnapped South Korea’s most famous film couple, a director and his wife, and made them make movies for him for years. They fled to the American embassy when they made it Vienna promoting one of their films.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2023, 04:46:34 PM »

But guys, you all broke my heart. I left page 29 panel 3 alone, figuring you’d all tear into the dialogue;”You fellas hang around i the background while I talk big...They’re bound to expose themselves.”

Sorry, Morgus, that one slipped right past me. Darn those filthy Arabs! ;D
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 05:41:45 PM »

Speed #1

Terrific cover, and a pretty impressive splash page for Shock Gibson. So lighting and chemicals combine to give you super powers? I'm pretty sure something like that happened to some guy called Barry Allen, back in the sixties!  :)
K1ngcat

Yes indeedy, K1ngcat. I own a compilation volume of the Silver Age Flash. It was October 1956 when scientist Barry Allen was in his lab with 'every chemical known to science'. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning streaked into the lab, and Barry was bathed in certain unnamed chemicals whose bottles had been smashed. Thus, the Silver Age Flash was born. Then in Flash Comics #110 (Dec 1959-Jan 1960), Barry (dressed as The Flash) takes Iris West's nephew Wally West to his lab. Lo and behold, a lightning bolt comes through the window, smashes some chemicals that wash over Wally, and he becomes Kid Flash. What are the chances? Moral of the story - Stay about from chemical labs during thunderstorms  :D

Cheers

QQ

An incredible No-No!  No halfway decent author would even let the thought of using the same exact "happenstance" be the cause of the junior sidekick being created (unless it was a Mad Magazine parody doing it as a cheap joke).  NONE of my editors would have accepted such an amateurish attempt to avoid work (thinking time), and they'd all have placed me on probation, ready to fire me at the next egregious error.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2023, 12:21:04 AM »

No halfway decent author would even let the thought of using the same exact "happenstance" be the cause of the junior sidekick being created. 

That was the third time, Silver age Flash and Golden age Flash had basically the same origin.
  The character first appeared in Flash Comics #1 (January 1940), created by writer Gardner Fox and artist Harry Lampert.

Garrick gained the ability to move at superhuman speed due to a laboratory accident.

There are now around half a dozen in the 'Flash Family' and they don't bother much with origins. Apparently super-speed is now hereditary if your ancestor was Barry Allen.   
cheers!

ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2023, 01:09:30 AM »

Speed #1

K1ngcat

Yes indeedy, K1ngcat. I own a compilation volume of the Silver Age Flash. It was October 1956 when scientist Barry Allen was in his lab with 'every chemical known to science'. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning streaked into the lab, and Barry was bathed in certain unnamed chemicals whose bottles had been smashed. Thus, the Silver Age Flash was born. Then in Flash Comics #110 (Dec 1959-Jan 1960), Barry (dressed as The Flash) takes Iris West's nephew Wally West to his lab. Lo and behold, a lightning bolt comes through the window, smashes some chemicals that wash over Wally, and he becomes Kid Flash. What are the chances? Moral of the story - Stay about from chemical labs during thunderstorms  :D

Cheers

QQ

Not for me QQ, I'm gonna find a chem lab in a thunderstorm and get me some goldarned superpowers!  :D
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2023, 07:27:16 AM »

That was the third time, Silver age Flash and Golden age Flash had basically the same origin.

No.

Jay Garrick passed out in a laboratory and gained superspeed through the fumes of "hard water".

Sadly, that's the explanation given by writer Gardner Fox. Whether he knew that hard water was the stuff that clogs your pipes or not, I couldn't say.

In the 1970s in Five Star Superhero Spectacular there was a story where a female lab worker got doused with electrified chemicals and gained superspeed and other destructive powers since there were additional chemicals on the shelf, although that ultimately turned out to be a millisecond daydream Barry had after he saw lightning hit the shelf and before he saved her from being doused.

Offhand they should really stop buying shelves made out of lightning rods.  ;)

And I believe Crisis on Infinite Earths retconned Wally's lightning bolt as being the dying Flash traveling back through time and being mistaken for a lightning bolt, or something like that.
ip icon Logged

robbius

message icon
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2023, 12:25:47 PM »

Landor, maker of monsters
Every cliche available is packed into this one, but why name the story after the villain of the piece? Surely they're not going to follow it up? And yet, amazingly, they do, with Landor becoming more ghastly with every issue.

I went ahead and read the next few Landor's. He is a kind of Wile E Coyote character, whose complex schemes involving monsters always fail, and where every story ends with the utter destruction of his work, and usually a line from his nemesis and "good guy" Anthony,  along the lines of, "there's no way he survived THAT". And yet Landor comes back each time. Landor further proves himself a man of honour when Anthony saves his life in issue 4. I've enjoyed having the spotlight on this absurd villain.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2023, 07:27:48 PM »

Speed Comics #1
A man who appears to have the power of electricity appears on the cover of the first issue of a comic book series.  And that series is titled "Speed Comics".  Those two aspects don't seem to relate much to each other.  Will Shock Gibson use his capacity to use the power of electricity to move very fast?  And why does this seemingly well-proportioned (for-the-most-part) person have such tiny feet?  Maybe he was born to be a ballerina? All in all, this seems to me as roughly an average comic book for 1939.  Most of the artwork is fairly primitive, and so, not very enjoyable to me.  The colouring is roughly average, and doesn't hurt reading the stories.  The stories are weak, for the most part, but a couple have some relatively innovative ideas for their time.  But, I like that the editor allowed a 26-page adventure story lead the book with the series' main star hero.  Unfortunately for readers who like well-crafted stories, the author didn't use the extra space to flesh out the characters and motivations, and build up suspense in the single story.  Fortunately for action fans, he filled almost every page with action, showing basically two different stories.

Shock Gibson - The Human Dynamo
This first episode (presenting his superpowers origin) has a very inappropriate, unnatural tone, being much too matter-of-fact, educational, and condescending to the reader.  Both "Shock", and the supposed scientific authority, Dr. Blitzer, speak very unnaturally to each other, making it wayyyyyy too obvious that the author is trying to TELL the reader these impossible happenings are true, and you should believe his words, instead of absorbing what is shown in the panels.  The author tries hard to explain Gibson's acquisition of super powers as fact, while using the fewest panels possible, resulting only in the reader sensing he, or she, is being handed a load of baloney by a flim-flam man pretending to be The World's authority whose simplistic explanations ARE facts, and shouldn't be questioned.  That tone, unnatural, and without any detailed explanation, just draws attention to the fact that what he says should be questioned.  All this could be avoided, using several more panels, and having a more natural dialogue between him and Shock, and amore questioning tone by Blitzer, who is first discovering the results of the events we see.  His acting like this is all normal, and he's known that to be true to nature for many years would help keep the reader in the flow of the story.  For example, it is unfortunately obvious that Gibson's bending the heavy girder just as he catches it was just the author and artists' attempt to conserve space by informing the readers that Shock now has super strength in that single panel, instead of using two.  And it is too silly to have the narrator telling us Gibson caught the girder and then threw the heavy thing aside, when he showed neither, just him holding it.  And having the authority, Dr. Blitzer, saying as a matter of fact, that Gibson has the strength of 1,000 men, AND the absolute FACT that something in the chemicals with which Gibson was working did that to him.  And he is a scientist, who is not surprised by all this????  Shouldn't he be surprised and shocked?  Perhaps bewildered???  Shouldn't the author rather be also using Gibson, himself, to be surprised, and help provide the tone that this is not a normal occurrence??  Then Blitzer lectures Gibson, admonishing him that he now has the power to change The World, and so he should leave his laboratory, and go out into The World and use that power to help Humanity.  Gibson solemnly vows to do just that, and that he will never abuse that power.  They both are acting so weirdly.  That is just not the way people act so soon after such a shocking event.

Just an aside:  The artist (Norman Fallon?) is absolutely TERRIBLE at attempting to depict fire flames.  They look more like a torn fabric - nothing like a moving non-solid substance.

After these awkward, unnatural origin episode scenes, which end abruptly, and would be much more effective as an intact self-contained story, than attached to Gibsons' first adventure as a superhero, the story continues after just a narrative box, rather than a new story episode title page.  This is inferior book and story organisation. 

Shock Gibson Tests His  powers Against Big City Graft
Gangsters in cahoots with greedy politicians threaten to steal a large building contract from an honest,  legitimate, contractor by making him default, sabotaging him to make sure he can't finish the project in an impossible 3 days.  Shock uses his super strength, speed, and flying to finish the job, after saving the contractor from his suicide attempt, beats off the politician's thugs, threatens the latter's life, hands them over to the police, forcing him to confess his crimes. and follows the real criminal mastermind escaping The City in his airplane, to a remote  "almost extinct" volcano, his headquarters.  Gases and some flaming spurts of magma are still occurring inside the caldera, near where the evil German Baron von Kampf has his laboratory and headquarters.  The latter has developed a "death ray", and "Inhuman zombies", in his quest to conquer and dominate The World.  To me, this is a typical early attempt to tap into the early 1940s trend of superhero comics.  But it seems much more like an attempt to copy current, successful series, but very amateurish, and uninspired. 

The artist is not good at drawing human figures, whether still, or in action.  He avoids drawing them in action, so the reader doesn't see how things happen, but rather just the still, static results of that action, which is merely described dryly, with no detail, in narrative boxes.  This is totally unacceptable to action adventure fans. 

Setting up for the following episode, Shock accidentally drops into the Damsel in distress' prison cell, rescues her and smashes up von Kampf's lab, but the lady is grabbed again by the villain, and taken with him in an escape in his plane , but she steals a parachute and dives out, and ends up in Shock's arms.  It's a story with some decent ideas, a shaky plot with several twists and turns, and some suspense.  The artwork is weak, the staging is weak, and the dialogue is poor.  Too much is stated in narratives and not shown.  All in all it was worth sticking through it to the end, mostly out of curiosity.  Although it has lots of weaknesses, it is in the realm of average for late 1930s and beginning of the 1940s action-based comics, while creators were still experimenting with the new form of print entertainment and new genre of comics.

The Three Aces - Crash, Cork, and The Baron
This is a typical newspaper strip "Soldier-of-fortune" team style series, best adapted to an on-going, episodic format.  It's somewhat tough to assess this series-opening episode, missing the episode's ending.  But, almost all series of this type were very similar during the late '30s - early '40s naissance period of this budding sub-genre.  This book is missing scans of 2 pages from the tail-end of this story, plus the first page of the following text story.  Looking at Speed Comics 2, containing a completely new story, with a new client, taking place in South America, it is clear that this series is not an ongoing episodic story, but rather contains new short stories, each issue.  Given that, we can assume that this story is concluded over its remaining 2 pages, The Baron and Cork mow down the entire contingent of Arab warriors with their machine guns, and are rewarded, handsomely by their client.  A typical story for this sub-genre at this early time, with the vagabond, soldiers-of-fortune invincible masters of their craft, and itching to go to the other side of The Globe for their next adventure.

As to the portrayal of "The Baron" as a Prussian, respected foreign rival, it should be noted that The Germans didn't attack Poland until September, 1939, so two thirds of that year were available for production of this story to have occurred.  So, it isn't necessary for it to have been produced in 1938.  Being only 6 pages long, it would have been possible to drop this story and fill those pages with another short story in a fairly short time to make the issue's print deadline.  In any case, USA was neutral in 1939, and not even helping Britain until The Lend-Lease Act of 1940. 

Ted Parrish - The Man of A Thousand Faces
A bored film character actor/master of disguises/quick-change artist breaking his film studio contract, and quitting his old career in search of action and adventure, is an interesting idea.  Walking along a big city's dangerous waterfront late at night, ostensibly hoping to witness criminals committing a crime  ;D, Parrish spots a woman being kidnapped into a boat.  He leaves, soon to return, dressed as a woman, to take the place of a nurse, expected by the kidnapper.  The boat takes them to a small island off the coast with a mad doctor ready to operate on the kidnap victim, to turn her into a no-longer-living statue.  This is just what Parrish wanted - a tough challenge for a courageous, manly hero-type, complete with an evil, diabolical villain trying to harm a beautiful young woman the hero can rescue.  Just as the doctor is ready to operate, Parrish breaks out of his disguise, and summarily defeats his three male opponents, unbinds the young woman, carries her to a window, leaps out of the castle with her in his arms, landing softly on the plush seats of the villains' boat.  He races it back to the harbour, docks, and takes her by taxi to her home.  Without a warning he says goodbye, disappearing before she can see where he goes.  Quickly changed into a disguise, he avoids being found by her, and can casually leave for his own home.  Soon, he is accosted by his former film producer, offering him a new part in an action film, but our new hero turns it down.  Apparently, he'll have to live on reward money for turning in wanted criminals to the police, or returning kidnapped victims to their loved ones!  ;D

Spike Marlin - Soldier-Of-Fortune-Seaman
This quiet, large but trim man, of cigar in mouth and few words, walks in on his 20 shipmates, boldly telling them they are under arrest, after beating 2 of them in a fight on deck and tossing one into the sea, to his death. Unbelievably, the entire remaining crew prove to be lily-livered cowards, and back down, just before Marlin's coastguard friends pull alongside in their cutter, to complete the easy arrest.  What a hero!  What a man!  Harvey must have been proud to have such a whale-loving hero in their roster!   ;D

Smoke Carter - The Smoke-Breathing Firefighter
This story opens with a fire broken out in an orphanage, with one of the nurses noting it, and yelling for someone to call a policeman.  Wouldn't calling the fire department be a better stratagem?  Uh oh!  We have the artist who draws cement flames once again in a story where that problem is only accentuated.  Doubly bad is the fact that he also draws cement smoke!  And although his portrayal of water is a bit less hard-looking and slightly more fluid-like, it still looks wrong, because it is coloured a bilious green. And on top of that, his perspectives are way off.  The nurse holding the baby, who has jumped out of the window, trying to land on the firefighters' life-saving net, falls to her death and that of the infant's as well, as the net has been placed much too far away from the burning building to give any potential fire victims any chance of survival (unless they jump out of a ground floor window).

Despite those visual problems, the story's plotline has an interesting element, in that it appears that gangsters have set the orphanage on fire to make an attempt on a millionaire's life, knowing that that worthy organisation is his pet charity.  The nosy busy-body, firefighter, Smoke Carter, sees that philanthropist White has had a serious auto accident, in the newspaper headlines.  He now abandons his firefighting job to play amateur detective, going to the scene of the auto's recovery and pilfering evidence out of the drowned man's pocket.  A car drives by with a gunman firing at the fireman.  Carter then pulls his own revolver out in defence.  Do firefighters in USA all carry guns while in uniform???  I know it's a very gun-happy country, but that seems ridiculous.  Maybe it's an extra tool they can use to shoot the padlocks on the doors of locked burning buildings so they don't waste time hacking away at the doors with their hatchets?  ;D
Instead of informing the police, Carter hails a taxi to follow the gunman's car, and send an ambulance to pick up a gang member, who got run over by the gangsters' car, before it got away.  Smoke finally talks with the police chief, in person, showing him what he found in the millionaire victim's pocket, instead of phoning him when he found it, and reading what was on it, so the police could get into action as quickly as possible.  He offers to help the police in a joint action to capture the gang, He, a mere local firehouse firefighter (not Fire Commissioner, or even City or Metropolitan Fire Chief) commits his fire department to fly an airplane over the gangster's "hideout", and his local firefighting unit would light a fire to signal the plane's crew to drop a bomb on the building.  This is all without his knowing for sure that the gangsters are heading to that address in the countryside.  In real life, people didn't talk this way and didn't act this way.  I knew that at 9 or 10 years of age.  And would have thought this story was almost as ridiculous as superhero stories.  The remaining gang members seal their own doom by lighting the fire that tells the aerial bomb squad to drop their bomb.  We  find out that they were taking revenge on white for putting several of their members in prison for arson, but we never find out why they wanted to "finish" the orphanage.  Were they purely evil, wanting to hurt orphans???  Or was that just a way to get even with White???  And why were any of White's buildings their target in the first place?  A VERY poorly thought out plot, and bizarre introduction to a new action hero.  Is he a firefighter who constantly helps the police fight crimes, and track down criminals???

Landor - Maker of Monsters
The old ancient castle on the storm-swept mountaintop scenario, eh?  I wonder if this is supposed to be  located in Eastern or Central Europe, or one of those ancient European castles bought by eccentric wealthy Americans, who dismantled them, stone by stone, and had them re-assembled in a remote area of western North America, (so they could perform their hideous, evil deeds in anonymity).  Instead of the old, ugly, Germanic scientist, we have a young-looking man who speaks American English with no foreign accent.  But, at least the cliché of a sudden storm causing the hero and ladyfriend to seek shelter is used.  And his name, "Landor", sounds Hungarian.  So, perhaps the setting IS in Eastern Europe (Transylvania to be exact).  And, of course, we are on "comic book time", with no time to waste.  So, of course, the fruit of all the scientists' years of hard work explodes onto the scene JUST at the time that the innocent young couple is touring this land of monsters werewolves and vampyres just before their getting married.  And true to the monster story code, the scientist sees that his monstrous creation has taken a fancy to the young woman (despite the fact that she is spoken for (out of circulation).  When the hero says that he and his fiancée will leave, the scientist suddenly pulls out a gun, which he apparently carries in his pocket every day, despite being all alone in a remote, desolate location.  He says he can't let the young man have his project "destroyed" by the hero, who was never there before.  How could he destroy his project by leaving the place he'd never been?  Was the scientist waiting for beautiful young women to make pilgrimage to his castle daily, so he could hand them over to his sex-crazed newly-living monster???  Landor knocks the hero unconscious, and gives the woman a sedative.  The monster, sensing that the scientist means to harm her, tosses him against a wall, knocking him unconscious.  He then removes the woman from the operating table.  Perhaps Landor had planned to turn her into a large green monster to be his monster's mate?  The hero (Tony) fights with the monster, and they start a fire.  The monster hits his head on the hard stone and dies.  Tony grabs his fiancée and carries her to safety, while the castle burns up in the background.  Where have I seen that before? 

This must be the same artist as drew the first story in this book, as well as a few others.  His figures are a bit too elongated, but the staging is a bit better, and the little action is better drawn than in the lead story. 
All this happened in only 4 pages.  I've seen it many times in one hour to an hour and a half long films.  I'd rather have seen this plot aired out in 10-16 pages, with a developed setting, some background shown for Landor (so we could hate and fear him), some background on the lead couple, better development of Landor's motivation, a longer quest for Tony, and a slightly longer epilogue.  But, amazingly, this story actually works distilled into 4 pages.

Texas Tyler - Wrongrighter of The West
I bet y'all didn't know that Texas Tyler was a C&W singer in his off time, when he wasn't rightin' wrongs on the ol' prairiee!  Here's one of his:      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uVhqSUuwu4&list=OLAK5uy_kjIbx6-IN5A9_hLMwDwHBdJYaplXCcSJc&index=4

As for the story, it's pretty standard for a western series from that time, with the vagabond cowboy and his comic sidekick moving from town to town, ranch to ranch, helping the good ranchers and townspeople against the greedy villains, who steal cattle, money and land, and kill lots of innocent people in the process.  Texas and Baldy help out a rancher whose cattle are being stolen or stopped from reaching the market so the local town's crime boss can forclose on his ranch. They first kill off the latter's gang two by two, and finally Texas kills the crime boss after he drew his gun on him, first.  The rancher's daughter has an eye for Tex, and wants him to stay.  But, like most of the western heroes, Tex doesn't want to be tied down.

Biff Bannon - Of The U.S. Marines
This looks like an interesting story.  Early to mid 1939, more than 2 years before USA entered the war against Japan, US volunteers were helping The Chinese against them.  However, I strongly doubt that official US military units were there, in that capacity.  This story has a marine ship anchored in a Chinese harbour, and the captain places men under orders to rescue private US citizens inland.  Was that possible at that time?  Or did The US ambassador to China have to depend upon Chinese authorities to deliver them to safety? Interesting that The Chinese characters in the story have pink coloured skin, while the Japanese are depicted as "The Bad Guys" and "The Enemy", more than 2 years before USA declared war against Japan.  It is also of note that a European with a pink face, seems to be a spy for The Axis powers, and seems to have a Spanish accent.  Biff and his sidekick, Truck, save the Americans from the Japanese soldiers, kill the spy, and deliver them all to their ship, who takes them to US Marine headquarters (probably in The Philippine Islands as the trip took only 2 days).  We got a bonus comedic ending (dropped from the sky), with the scientist (father of the beautiful young lady) having his secret "death machine", sought by the spy, be merely a five-in-one mouse trap.  Not a spectacular joke, to say the least.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 05:34:58 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2023, 11:00:19 PM »

Rward,

Welcome to the commentariat! The more the merrier. Did I just make that word up? 
I haven't had more than a cursory look at the book yet, [Very busy right now, and still a week to go] but your post points me to Landor as a person of interest.

Thank you!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2023, 11:14:45 PM »

Jay Garrick passed out in a laboratory and gained superspeed through the fumes of "hard water". 

Well, even Gardner Fox can sometimes get it wrong.
Likely he was referring to 'Heavy Water', since radioactivity and anything associated with it was a constant in the origins of Superheroes. Mind you, what Jay Garrick was doing with Heavy Water in a laboratory, I can't imagine. 
Heavy water
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_water
Heavy water was first produced in 1932, a few months after the discovery of deuterium.[7] With the discovery of nuclear fission in late 1938, and the need for a neutron moderator that captured few neutrons, heavy water became a component of early nuclear energy research. Since then, heavy water has been an essential component in some types of reactors, both those that generate power and those designed to produce isotopes for nuclear weapons. These heavy water reactors have the advantage of being able to run on natural uranium without using graphite moderators that pose radiological[8] and dust explosion[9] hazards in the decommissioning phase. The graphite moderated Soviet RBMK design tried to avoid using either enriched uranium or heavy water (being cooled with ordinary "light" water instead) which produced the positive void coefficient that was one of a series of flaws in reactor design leading to the Chernobyl disaster. Most modern reactors use enriched uranium with ordinary water as the moderator.   

Mind you, Hard Water is a thing too, but less likely to give you superpowers.
hard water
https://www.britannica.com/science/hard-water   

Ain't I just the know-it-all!
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2023, 05:45:47 AM »

Do you suppose that if he were working nowadays Jay Garrick would have been studying Hard Seltzer? ;)

Ted Parrish, Man of a Thousand Faces

A thousand faces and convenient inflatable boobs. I agree with everyone else that Ted must have had an invisible clothes closet and makeup kit following him around. But wait, there's more! Note Ted's bare legs sticking out from under the dress in the first panel on page 35. Now look at the next panel. "In a flash Ted discards his costume and ducks a vicious blow." Discards his costume and puts his pants back on in the time between socking the doc and having the doc's brother rush him. That's some speedy dressing!

Consider this: the mad doctor has decided to test his device for turning people into statues. He instructs his brother: "Take the motorboat into the city and grab the first pretty girl that comes along. Bring her back here so I can turn her into a statue. Pretty girl, mind you! Don't go bringing me a riverside bum who'd be easy to capture and whom no one would miss."

Spike Marlin

Spike must be related to Popeye. He never takes his pipe out of his mouth. This is a so-so shipboard adventure with adequate art. Except for the perspective, that is (see page 38 panel 1). Why is it that the other crew members are ready to kill Marlin? I get that they're tough guys and they want to haze him, but it'd make more sense if they turned murderous because they suspected he was a "Fed." And when they do learn Spike's a Fed, instead of twenty crewmen ganging up on him they simply grumble and surrender when Spike's eyes "flash lethal fire." Shock Gibson could use some of that power.

Smoke Carter

The splash panel alone is worth the price of admission. Paddock's bold, postery composition is what "Speed Comics" is all about. The simple coloring adds to the drama. Even in modern comics this would be one heckuva panel. Paddock's art is the star of the story as well. His layouts are packed with energy. Page 42 is a beautiful example. The coloring obscures the fact that Paddock frequently leaves a lot of stuff out, especially backgrounds. Overall, though, it's an exciting art job.

The story moves at the same breakneck speed as the art, but in this case it's not a good thing. The script is diagrammatic and relies too much on captions. Others have mentioned Smoke's gun and bombs, but was I the only one who wondered why he never took off his fireman's helmet and jacket? I'll bet he sleeps in them.

I was so impressed by Paddock's art that I read the rest of the "Smoke Carter" stories. (Smoke was eventually replaced by a space opera strip, also drawn by Paddock.) I noticed a funny thing. In any given story we're lucky if we see the hero's face even once. Most of the time he's turned away from the camera. For that matter, so is everyone else. We see from this episode that Paddock can draw faces, so I guess this was an odd layout choice rather than a deliberate cop out.

Landor, Maker of Monsters

Marcia sums it up in the final panel: "What a horrible experience!" I called "Smoke Carter" diagrammatic; this story is a diagram of a diagram. Hard to believe this became a series.

Texas Tyler

I took one look at this and thought, "Hey, this is Walter Frehm!" At this time he was strongly influenced by early Will Gould. You see it especially in page 53 panel 2. Not only the posing is Gould-like; the guy on the left with his squinty eyes and that peculiar mouth is right out of Will G's strip. What can you say about a four-page story? Early in the Golden Age everyone seems to have been retelling the same stories they'd seen a thousand times in movies and pulp magazines.

Equally familiar is the final scene: "You wuz kinda sweet on that gal, eh, Tex?" "Shut up." Why was this trope so common in comic books, particularly in westerns? They got it from movies, I know. But in some features it was the mandatory conclusion of every single story. The worst offenders were over at Quality, home of  westerner Arizona Raines. In every episode the hero falls for the distressed damsel of the day and his kid sidekick flies into a panic. Arizona Raines' boy pal Spurs ends each adventure by cajoling his moon-eyed elder into moving on down the trail lest he "get tangled up with some woman and wind up married!" Spurs is so fanatical about this that I'd swear he has a major crush on Arizona. Ahem.

Nice airplane drawings in Air Speed. My dad worked on the Grumman biplanes in the first picture.

Biff Bannon of the United States Marines

I'll stick my neck out once more and admit that I've never liked Dick Briefer's artwork. I find it sloppy and sometimes downright unpleasant. This is one of those times. Biff is so grotesque, especially in profile, that he seems demented. Example: page 57 panel 2. The story is as clumsy as the art, and the surprise ending is ridiculous. At least it is a surprise. Pfui to Biff Bannon.

Back cover: I've long wondered about that one-dollar desk made of "sturdy fiberboard." Can it really support six hundred pounds? It's a good typewriter, though. I had one of those.

And so we bid adieu to Speed Comics #1. It was a fun ride.

ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2023, 07:50:22 PM »

Harvey Comics Office, 1939
Maurice Scott: "Hey boss, I have the features ready for Speed Comics #1. I took that Shock Gibson character and I planned out two 16-page stories. Got an origin story where he fights a gang and a followup where he goes against a mad scientist."
Editor: "Oh that's great Maurice, but I need one 26 page story now."
Maurice Scott: "...I'll see what I can do."

So glad everyone is enjoying my selection! I really love the left turn the Shock Gibson story takes, it's really wild. From a straightforward crimefighting story to a wild story of electromagnets, zombies, and kidnapped movie stars. I was laughing out loud first time I read it. I do love Von Kampf and his Death Ray No. 5 ("A little bit of terror, in my life/A little bit of zapping, by my side...") I wonder about the title though, as Robb_K said. Why not "Shock comics"? Too much like a horror title? Or why not "Speed Gibson" for that matter.

To those who hit on what I was getting at with the German "Baron" character, here's the punchline. Take a look at his appearance in June 1941's Speed Comics 13: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=64367. Our German expat is now a bloomin' Brit, by Jove. Dash it all! I wonder if the author decided to rewrite the character as relations between the US and Germany deteriorated.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2023, 12:40:50 AM »

Speed Comics 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25812

I’d like to highlight the cover’s Shock Gibson story, which is among the wildest I have ever read on this site
And thank you for bringing it to our attention. Wow!
The Human Dynamo
The zombies made me sing 'One eyed, one horned flying purple people eater'.

You and I must be of similar age!
Sheb Wooley "The Purple People Eater" (Official Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jV-E09efRE&ab_channel=AllSeasonsMusic
"We wear short shorts!" Huh?
Anywho, back to the review.
Terrific cover, and a pretty impressive splash page for Shock Gibson.

Agreed. That cover tho.
Superman lifts a car, Speed lifts a tank. One-up-man-ship much?
And just what kind of explosion is that? three mushrooms, going up?
Looks good tho!
Speaking of Silver Age Flash, given that both have the same origin and taking a close look at that uniform on page one - red and yellow colours and that lighting signature on his belt and that hat - what are the odds that infantino didn't have that image at least in his subconscious? I would say Zero.
How does Baron Von Kampf know of Shock Gibson? Did Shock have off-panel adventures between his origin and the story we read here? 

My thoughts exactly!
Crash said,
Whee! Back to illogical, irrepressible Golden Age Fun.

Shock Gibson (aka Charles Gibson, former pen and ink illustrator) gets a whopping 26 pages for his first adventure. The writer doesn't waste it on more detailed plotting. Instead he crams in four issues worth of mad scientists, monsters, lions, lava, aerial combat, and a beautiful woman with inflatable sleeves who's tough enough to overcome Von Kampf, grab a chute, and bail out of his plane. Kids who bought this comics definitely got their dime's worth.   

What's left for me to say?!
QQ said,
Lots of action and a few twists and turns, including an unexpected romance. Lucky that girl was waiting inside the volcano. 

What cracks me up through-out this story is the dialogue and the verbal cues. Here,
' And Crashes into a secret room where dwells Jane Starr [love the name] -once a famous movie actress - a captive of the mad baron.' !! ::)
Talk about economy! Marvel would have made this a 12 issue mini-series.
Sneaky forth wall break, page #11, ' Somehow I sense something big behind this, [and in big black type, 'I DON'T THINK ITS THE END!']   
And it goes on, 'I MUST FOLLOW THAT PLANE!'
I don't think I've ever read a strip that was more verbally driven than this one!
When he crashes into the laboratory not only do we get a Splash panel explaining the whole plot, we see
Machinery labeled, 'Death Ray # 4 and Death Ray # 5, and also in the room, bottles labeled Nitro and H2SO4, And a book labeled, 'Death by Rays'
As an animal lover, my heart goes out to the lion.
Not only does he get swung around by his tail, he gets thrown up into the air about 20 feet. Hits a wall head-first. 
'The lion misses and is momentarily stunned' It's wonder he wasn't concussed. Then the poor thing falls into a volcano and Shock doesn't bother to rescue him. My hero! Not.  :'(
'I have ways to change your mind!' 'Ve haff vays to make you talk!'
'You saved my life! How can I ever thank you?' 'I'll  think of something.'
EHowie60, thank you, you've made me a Shock Gibson fan!   8) 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.